The Official September 2014 Study Group

Colonel_funkadunk

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:53 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:Not scoring where I want and therefore I am crying forever. :cry:

I have an unrelated to LSAT question that I'm too lazy to take over to another thread... if I took a few courses at a university (years before actually attending university for my degree), got them transferred in but they appear as "credit given" on my unofficial transcript, would they be calculated as part of my LSDA GPA?

Don't cry itll b alright

And if you earned the grades before the degree is awarded they count

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote: LR is my jam though. .

Hey grey on main point questions, do they want the premise or conclusion? Or background info

The LR ones? It's usually the conclusion, I think, but it might be worded weirdly, or include some part of the premise.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 pm

hereisonehand wrote:How'd your PT go today sfogs?

I did exceedingly well, and I just want to hug and kiss everyone in this thread, because I feel like your support is carrying me through these last PTs, so I can September with you all.

Two things:

1. Hoping anyone else who has also done 68 can offer their opinion on its difficult relative to other tests. I felt very insecure while taking it, and had circled a lot of questions for which I arrived at the answer by process of elimination.

2. I was originally only going to take a half day on Friday, the 26th, but now I think I should take time off next week week to do a final PT. Do you think I should take PT 71 on Thursday or Wednesday? Can we all share our "week of" study plans?

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 pm

And if I were to just not count those somehow by saying "nevermind"? :p

ugh seriously my perfect GPA won't be perfect anymore now =,(

edawg212

Postby edawg212 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:58 pm

i dont want to be the guy that is happy that everyone hated 62

but im happy that everyone hated 62

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:58 pm

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Hey grey on main point questions, do they want the premise or conclusion? Or background info

The LR ones? It's usually the conclusion, I think, but it might be worded weirdly, or include some part of the premise.

Hey grey how do u weaken an argument ? It's confusing cuz sum times I'm not sure if an answer is out of scope or is really weakening plz advise

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:Not scoring where I want and therefore I am crying forever. :cry:

Don't cry. Take a deep breath. You can do this! Go make yourself a cup of chamomile tea and watch something Ryan Gosling to unwind, then plan on what you're going to review this week to get you closer to where you want to be.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 pm

sfoglia wrote:can we all share our "week of" study plans?

I want to get in two PTs next week, maybe mon wed and review

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:00 pm

BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Hey grey how do u weaken an argument ? It's confusing cuz sum times I'm not sure if an answer is out of scope or is really weakening plz advise

On the same token on most strongly supported questions does it need to be supported by the stimulus

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Grey can u also tell me where the inferences come from in inference Qs is it in the stimulus or hidden

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 pm

sfoglia wrote:I did exceedingly well

2. I was originally only going to take a half day on Friday, the 26th, but now I think I should take time off next week week to do a final PT. Do you think I should take PT 71 on Thursday or Wednesday? Can we all share our "week of" study plans?

Now is no time to be humble. we wanna knowww

and I haven't taken 68 yet, but my plan is to do PTs saturday sunday tuesday thursday and get up painfully early starting saturday. drilling a bit and resting on the off days. i have the whole week off work.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:03 pm

WAIT! It says "Pass" on my transcript. 0_0 Does that change anything?

sfoglia wrote:

Don't cry. Take a deep breath. You can do this! Go make yourself a cup of chamomile tea and watch something Ryan Gosling to unwind, then plan on what you're going to review this week to get you closer to where you want to be.

Aww! Everyone here is so nice! Thank you!

Four PTs this week because I didn't do two last week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday).

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:04 pm

BillPackets wrote:Grey can u also tell me where the inferences come from in inference Qs is it in the stimulus or hidden

Grey on LG if there are 4 spots and T must b before S can s be first?

BJS

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Damn this seems really strenuous. You feel comfortable you won't burn out? I posted about this topic earlier in the day (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236315) and PNJ had a great suggestion - don't take a timed PT but rather do untimed drilling. I'm planning on going through three sections on Thursday (RC, LR, LG) untimed and some other drilling. Any suggestions on Friday schedule?

edawg212

Postby edawg212 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:WAIT! It says "Pass" on my transcript. 0_0 Does that change anything?

sfoglia wrote:

Four PTs this week because I didn't do two last week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday).

damn space them out!!!

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 pm

BJS wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Damn this seems really strenuous. You feel comfortable you won't burn out? I posted about this topic earlier in the day (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236315) and PNJ had a great suggestion - don't take a timed PT but rather do untimed drilling. I'm planning on going through three sections on Thursday (RC, LR, LG) untimed and some other drilling. Any suggestions on Friday schedule?

What are the merits of drilling untimed sections instead of doing a PT? And how would one go about doing that?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:WAIT! It says "Pass" on my transcript. 0_0 Does that change anything?

sfoglia wrote:

If it was a pass fail class it's neutral for your gpa

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:
BJS wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Damn this seems really strenuous. You feel comfortable you won't burn out? I posted about this topic earlier in the day (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=236315) and PNJ had a great suggestion - don't take a timed PT but rather do untimed drilling. I'm planning on going through three sections on Thursday (RC, LR, LG) untimed and some other drilling. Any suggestions on Friday schedule?

What are the merits of drilling untimed sections instead of doing a PT? And how would one go about doing that?

If it's accuracy in general that's your problem, and not just adapting to a time environment, untimed drilling helps you concentrate on how to attack q's to get the fundys down first

Eta: fundys = fundamentals
Last edited by Colonel_funkadunk on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 pm

bill and kernel,

I honestly don't know the answer to your LR questions. you're going to laugh, but I have really just been focusing on right answer circling. I have never drilled any LR questions other than PR and PF.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

sfoglia wrote:

If it was a pass fail class it's neutral for your gpa

It wasn't pass/fail... but I guess that's how they transferred them. (From an international institution, if that matters).

edawg212 wrote:

sfoglia wrote:

damn space them out!!!

But then that brings me to next week and I need to do two then. 0_0

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:09 pm

smccgrey wrote:bill and kernel,

I honestly don't know the answer to your LR questions. you're going to laugh, but I have really just been focusing on right answer circling. I have never drilled any LR questions other than PR and PF.

(The genius doesn't get sarcasm)

<3 u grey

BJS

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:What are the merits of drilling untimed sections instead of doing a PT? And how would one go about doing that?

I think the primary goal is to reinforce your fundamentals and build confidence. By Thursday, your stamina is already at whatever point it can be, and your fundamental skills will make or break you. It's good to reinforce them at that point then. So I will break down a PT (probably 71) and just run through three sections (or all four) with no timer and spending as much time as necessary on each question.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:If it's accuracy in general that's your problem, and not just adapting to a time environment, untimed drilling helps you concentrate on how to attack q's to get the fundys down first

Eta: fundys = fundamentals

Ahhh! That makes sense. Maybe I should do that.

Any reason not to drill PrepTest 67?

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:11 pm

I mean, I just usually ask myself "Does this absolutely NEED to be true?" The negation test sometimes confuses me, so asking myself if it 100% absolutely must be true usually works.

I actually don't use negation at all in LR... LR is my jam though. Usually the wrong, sufficient answer is a bit too extreme to be right. if the question says

"Bill wants to eat a slice of pizza. Pizza is delicious, and Bill will definitely have a slice this evening as a snack if there is one in his fridge. Therefore, Bill will eat pizza tonight. "
The argument will only follow if which one of the following is assumed

A)There is a slice of Pizza in Bill's fridge
B) Bill has an entire Pizza in his fridge

B is wrong because it is sufficient (enough pizza for Bill), but not necessary (he only needs the one slice). This is obviously an extremely simple example, but when the question is more complex, it can be easier to hide the wrong answer.

Took a break to watch some ratchet tv :oops: Thanks a lot sfoglia and smccgrey. This really kills me because I end up choosing the sufficient answer choice, the negation test confuses sometimes so I will try asking sfoglia approach.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”