The Official September 2014 Study Group

ilikebaseball

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:53 pm

BillPackets wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:totes made the coolest thing ever.

So we had to work on Saturday morning. Knocked on my roommate's door to wake him up, and out comes this ratchet hoe with hair all ova da place. She was like sup, and walked out. My roommate said "i guess I gotta give her a ride home." So I said alright and waited.

He came back and I said damn how'd she get here last night? He was embarrassed (not the best looking one of the bunch) and said "I don't even remember her coming in. I just gave her our address if she needed it and she got here at like 4 30." So I said okay and never really thought about it for like 5 hours. But then...it hit me.

"The ratchet hoe with hair all ova da place came in at 4 30, apparently by herself. But yet, she needed a ride home in the morning. She could have gotten a ride from her friends, but that doesn't make sense. "Hey will you drive me over to this guys apartment cuz im dtf tonight but ive never met him." No friend would do that. So, my roommate must've snuck out and picked her up himself.

THE FUCKING ASSUMPTION I MADE WAS THAT HE LIED. DONT FUCK WITH ME LSAC I GOT YOUR SHIT DOWN

gonna go ahead and nominate this for best post ever ITT

That's saying a hell of a lot

Learn_Live_Hope

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:totes made the coolest thing ever.

So we had to work on Saturday morning. Knocked on my roommate's door to wake him up, and out comes this ratchet hoe with hair all ova da place. She was like sup, and walked out. My roommate said "i guess I gotta give her a ride home." So I said alright and waited.

He came back and I said damn how'd she get here last night? He was embarrassed (not the best looking one of the bunch) and said "I don't even remember her coming in. I just gave her our address if she needed it and she got here at like 4 30." So I said okay and never really thought about it for like 5 hours. But then...it hit me.

"The ratchet hoe with hair all ova da place came in at 4 30, apparently by herself. But yet, she needed a ride home in the morning. She could have gotten a ride from her friends, but that doesn't make sense. "Hey will you drive me over to this guys apartment cuz im dtf tonight but ive never met him." No friend would do that. So, my roommate must've snuck out and picked her up himself.

THE FUCKING ASSUMPTION I MADE WAS THAT HE LIED. DONT FUCK WITH ME LSAC I GOT YOUR SHIT DOWN

gonna go ahead and nominate this for best post ever ITT

That's saying a hell of a lot

I read your post to one of my friends :oops:

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:#lsatIRL
<3 you, baseball. You're like Elle Woods, only with ratchet hoes.

LMAO, this is hilarious. Are you going to call said roommate out on his shit, Baseball?

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:57 pm

BillPackets wrote:How often do u come across that

Well I only started noticing this today so I can't say "very often" but the LSAT trainer chapter on Necessary Assumption states that answer choices that "fix the argument"/ "or are too strong" are some of the most tempting wrong choices in Necessary Assumption questions and while drilling today those are the ones that I usually chose/spent too much time eliminating.

Maybe I am wrong for classifying them as "sufficient assumptions", they are just answer choices that give me more than I need i.e. they aren't necessary for the argument to be true :oops:

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:01 pm

kpormir wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:
kpormir wrote:Hey guys, long time lurker at TLS but this is my first actual post. Thought maybe I'd reach out to you guys for some help in overcoming mental anxiety before the exam.

Just some background info: I'm planning on retaking this month, with my first score being a 168 on the Dec 2013 exam. I'm retaking because on my practice tests I typically scored within the 171-173 range, with a high of 176. I know that going from 168 to 171 is not a significant jump, but in my case I really want at least a chance at HYS, and that notwithstanding, I do have a rather large non-lawschool based incentive to hit at least a 170.

That being said, my last two practice exams (59 and 70), which I took yesterday and today, were both dismal compared to my average scores. Yesterday I was so frustrated that by the fourth section I didn't even bother to finish. This morning I've finished practice test 70 and scored a 166, the lowest score I've had since restarting PT'ing last June. As an extra kick in the gut, LG was my worst section (I missed FIVE, whereas normally I'll miss 0-2). Further, this is my second time taking this particular exam; the first time was about a year ago, where I scored a 173.

Apologies for the rant, but I'm at a loss. If it was just one test I'd write it off as an outlier score, but the fact that it's two tests in a row, and that previously I scored much higher on both of them, tells me that it's a mental thing. So does anyone else have any experience with this and want to toss in their two cents? I can't be the only one, right? pls don't let me be the only one. :(

Maybe it's just exhaustion/stress? When I was feeling overwhelmed and saw a decline in my scores, I just took a step back, let myself breathe, read something outside of LSAT, and only did a few logic games or a few LR questions. You can do it!

Hey, thanks! And yeah, I may do that. I'll admit I've been feeling "off" these past two weeks after getting sick at the beginning of Sept. I think I'll just take a breather and go do something non-educational, maybe take another PT on Thursday to see if that helps.

Agree. Take a day off to unwind, then do some drilling to build up your confidence before your next PT. Go back and make sure you understand everything you got wrong on the previous PTs, just to prove to yourself it was the stress that encouraged you to answer incorrectly (which I have no doubt was the case).

Light some candles, drink some ginger or chamomile tea, and get yourself back into the right mindset. If you exercise, maybe make sure you do that so you can expel some of your nervous energy.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:04 pm

sashafierce wrote:

Well I only started noticing this today so I can't say "very often" but the LSAT trainer chapter on Necessary Assumption states that answer choices that "fix the argument"/ "or are too strong" are some of the most tempting wrong choices in Necessary Assumption questions and while drilling today those are the ones that I usually chose/spent too much time eliminating.

Maybe I am wrong for classifying them as "sufficient assumptions", they are just answer choices that give me more than I need i.e. they aren't necessary for the argument to be true :oops:

Idk once u do a bunch you'll basically b able to prephrase the answer like on my last PT I was having probz w this SA Q so I reread the stim n just wrote down immediately what I thot the answer was n it was there so in NA there's usually an egregious term shift or just like clear "ok that doesn't follow moment" and once u start seeing those the wrong answer choices will just b very wrong

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:06 pm

sashafierce wrote:

I mean, I just usually ask myself "Does this absolutely NEED to be true?" The negation test sometimes confuses me, so asking myself if it 100% absolutely must be true usually works. I try to make sure there isn't something else that can substitute for it, e.g. "Do I absolutely NEED these Manolos to make this outfit work, or will my Lacroix do? Manolo are obviously an absolute guarantee, but Lacroix should work just as well." Does that make sense? I don't even know how helpful that is.

But, yes, those are sufficient assumptions. You are using terminology correctly. Like, wearing Manolos is sufficient, wearing Lacroix is sufficient. Having heels, however, is absolutely without-a-doubt necessary.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:22 pm

BACK FROM MY NAP! my LG book and I cuddled peacefully for a few hours. I didn't even do one. Didn't even start.

The underground city is awesome. It's less an underground city and is more a fantastic collection of malls that are linked together underground. It's connected to the metro. You know what else is connected to the metro? My apartment building. -40 outside? I don't care. I'm gonna go see a movie. And I'm not even going to need my coat.

sashafierce wrote:Top scorers: For Necessary Assumption questions when your down to two answer choices i.e. the necessary assumption v.s. the sufficient assumption.How do you go about identifying the correct answer? I know the negation test is TCR for necessary assumption questions but I sometimes find it difficult to apply when deciding between an answer choices that is required (i.e. the correct answer) and an answer choice that is sufficient to guarantee the conclusion (i.e. the sufficient assumption)

I actually don't use negation at all in LR... LR is my jam though. Usually the wrong, sufficient answer is a bit too extreme to be right. if the question says

"Bill wants to eat a slice of pizza. Pizza is delicious, and Bill will definitely have a slice this evening as a snack if there is one in his fridge. Therefore, Bill will eat pizza tonight. "
The argument will only follow if which one of the following is assumed

A)There is a slice of Pizza in Bill's fridge
B) Bill has an entire Pizza in his fridge

B is wrong because it is sufficient (enough pizza for Bill), but not necessary (he only needs the one slice). This is obviously an extremely simple example, but when the question is more complex, it can be easier to hide the wrong answer.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23 pm

sfoglia wrote: Like, wearing Manolos is sufficient, wearing Lacroix is sufficient. Having heels, however, is absolutely without-a-doubt necessary.

Oh god, shoes. Yes.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 pm

smccgrey wrote:BACK FROM MY NAP! my LG book and I cuddled peacefully for a few hours. I didn't even do one. Didn't even start.

The underground city is awesome. It's less an underground city and is more a fantastic collection of malls that are linked together underground. It's connected to the metro. You know what else is connected to the metro? My apartment building. -40 outside? I don't care. I'm gonna go see a movie. And I'm not even going to need my coat.

sashafierce wrote:Top scorers: For Necessary Assumption questions when your down to two answer choices i.e. the necessary assumption v.s. the sufficient assumption.How do you go about identifying the correct answer? I know the negation test is TCR for necessary assumption questions but I sometimes find it difficult to apply when deciding between an answer choices that is required (i.e. the correct answer) and an answer choice that is sufficient to guarantee the conclusion (i.e. the sufficient assumption)

I actually don't use negation at all in LR... LR is my jam though. Usually the wrong, sufficient answer is a bit too extreme to be right. if the question says

"Bill wants to eat a slice of pizza. Pizza is delicious, and Bill will definitely have a slice this evening as a snack if there is one in his fridge. Therefore, Bill will eat pizza tonight. "
The argument will only follow if which one of the following is assumed

A)There is a slice of Pizza in Bill's fridge
B) Bill has an entire Pizza in his fridge

B is wrong because it is sufficient (enough pizza for Bill), but not necessary (he only needs the one slice). This is obviously an extremely simple example, but when the question is more complex, it can be easier to hide the wrong answer.

ERMAGHERd that question Wuz So HARD GREY don't freak us out!!!!!!!

edawg212

Postby edawg212 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

PT'd 62 today. what a terrible, terrible test.

RC: -7
LR1: -3
LG: -3
LR2: -5

Worst test in a while.

Anyone have any bad experiences with 62? and to think I've been going -0 in games and -4 combined in LR...

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm

edawg212 wrote:PT'd 62 today. what a terrible, terrible test.

Worst test in a while.

Anyone have any bad experiences with 62? and to think I've been going -0 in games and -4 combined in LR...

we literally all hated it.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:ERMAGHERd that question Wuz So HARD GREY don't freak us out!!!!!!!

lawl

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 pm

smccgrey wrote:

Worst test in a while.

Literally all of us

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:01 pm

schmelling wrote:I think I'm doing 72 tomorrow. This was released to me by testmasters as a 4 section exam, so what would you guys do here? i was thinking of throwing an RC section at the front and then just doing the test through to simulate the fatigue of doing 5 sections.

...wait how do you normally do PTs??

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Post removed.

BJS

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

Worst test in a while.

Literally all of us

Let's hope PT73 doesn't eclipse it.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:09 pm

schmelling wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
schmelling wrote:I think I'm doing 72 tomorrow. This was released to me by testmasters as a 4 section exam, so what would you guys do here? i was thinking of throwing an RC section at the front and then just doing the test through to simulate the fatigue of doing 5 sections.

...wait how do you normally do PTs??

The testmasters PT's are given to us as 5-section tests where we don't know which one is the experimental until we go to grade them. This one was released to us online because it was released after the course began, so its a 4-section test.

Oh I didn't realize that's how testmasters does it! I usually add a section of either RC or LG as one of the first three sections. I hate making mistakes so much that I don't think knowing it's the experimental really changes much for me.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 pm

sfoglia wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:#lsatIRL
<3 you, baseball. You're like Elle Woods, only with ratchet hoes.

LMAO, this is hilarious. Are you going to call said roommate out on his shit, Baseball?

of course. He got really butthurt. Like "Dude, I didn't want her to come over I was just being nice. I guess she walked or took a cab or something. Fuck."

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Post removed.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

Worst test in a while.

Literally all of us

Yep. HATED. My lowest score.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

Worst test in a while.

Literally all of us

Yep. HATED. My lowest score.

62 is the worst.

How'd your PT go today sfogs?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm

smccgrey wrote: LR is my jam though. .

Hey grey on main point questions, do they want the premise or conclusion? Or background info

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Not scoring where I want and therefore I am crying forever. :cry:

I have an unrelated to LSAT question that I'm too lazy to take over to another thread... if I took a few courses at a university (years before actually attending university for my degree), got them transferred in but they appear as "credit given" on my unofficial transcript, would they be calculated as part of my LSDA GPA?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”