The Official September 2014 Study Group

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:30 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BJS wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Hey guys, first time posting. What do you guys do to help motivate you? My biggest issue is with RC where I'll end up with -5 on a good section and sometimes -10 :/ After work when it is time to study I start reading and my motivation to work on RC just go away and makes it hard to focus... So what gets you guys going when it comes to studying?


This was me for two years, so I completely understand. What changed for me was understanding (in quantitative terms) what a certain score would do for my admissions and employment. Thereafter it has been keeping that in focus AND falling on key accountability mechanisms. I shared drilling with a friend, I tracked myself on LSATqa, and I lurked and posted here. Combined, they have given me a lot of focus and energy.


you been prepping for 2 yrs??


Started prepping Summer 2012 and stopped after two chapters of PS LGB because I decided to take a gap year. Started prepping a Summer 2013 and took the Oct 2013 test. Started prepping Summer 2014 for this test.

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vracovino
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby vracovino » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:34 pm

BJS wrote:
vracovino wrote:I would but the "get work experience" part concerns me. I'm from a middling state school and have an English degree. It would be cool to write for a paper or something but I have very few publications and I mean a graduate degree is pretty much a necessity now. Id be lucky to get any job at all, I think.


You're underestimating the job market. I was a history major and I've been doing fundraising and marketing for the local office of a national nonprofit. If you start prospecting a job now you will definitely find something. Better to struggle to find work before law school than struggle after because you went to a bad law school because your LSAT was lower than your potential.


I really appreciate all the advice guys. I'm seriously going to consider withdrawing, and considering other things outside of law school. My GF goes to Penn so that's sort of been a motivating factor, especially because my GPA is good.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:35 pm

BJS wrote:
vracovino wrote:
BJS wrote:
vracovino wrote:Does anyone else feel like they are just super unmotivated? I know how much work I still have left to do. I just got -7 on my last LG section during a test, and -8 on RC. That can't happen test day. Both sections are still occasionally kicking my ass. Yet, I just feel so out of it. Four months of doing the same shit everyday and i'm numb to the process. Add on top of that reading for my classes and its just too much :/

Someone tell me to suck it up!

Edit: sorry for using this thread almost exclusively as my soap box


#1: Slack on your school work. If you're a diligent student it will make you feel awful, and it may seem more pressing, but no school assignment matters more than the LSAT to your future. You can probably get away with 50% effort for two more weeks.

#2: Assess your readiness for September. Is -7 an [b]extreme[\b] outlier? What are your past five PT scores in relation to your minimum target score? If you haven't hit your minimum target or if your recent PT average is more than 2-3 points beneath it, you should seriously consider waiting until December. Nothing will be gained by taking now when unready.


-7 is somewhat extreme. I usually get anywhere from -2 to -5. My RC average is not necessarily an outlier. That is a very volatile section for me. That particular test (PT 60) I got a combined -5 on LR which I was happy about. But I need to improve drastically on at least one of the sections. I have hit my minimum target 4 or 5 times but I'm not consistent there- but a consistent -2 on LG would just about get me there.

And as far as school is concerned, I absolutely know that is what I have to do. But its hard for me, and I feel like it will really bring my spirits down if I F up the LSAT and school work. I know its superficial, but I don't have any B's on my record and I really want to keep it that way :|.


My quick suggestion is to take a year off. Focus on your school work, enjoy your senior year, get WE, and be a stronger applicant in a year. Unless there are personal factors, I don't see any downside to this and a TON of upside. You just don't sound ready to take Sept, so you should at least delay until Dec.

If you're set on c/o 2018 and the Sept test, I suggest you focus hard on drilling LG. As you said, getting that to -2 is a key accomplishment.


Why would you advise him/her to take a year off?

Same applies to him/her as it did to you.

A two point increase on December will outweigh a "late" application, which is not late to begin with. Its very normal to apply with a December score. Stop thinking that its not. Decent amount of schools still have binding applications out for December test takers. On the other hand, the likelihood of you going under review before the end of January is very small. If you didn't receive the desired score, You register for February, the admission committee will see that. Usually they will wait for it on their own, If not you can ask them to. Its not the end of the world. Prospective students take June exam with the intention of increasing their scholarship or waitlist purposes. Its normal. Why throw in the towel? With the applications down, already confirmed september LSAT registration down why bring yourself down. Stick out the fight.

Your glass should be half full, not half empty.

User avatar
ErgoSum
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ErgoSum » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:Your glass should be half full, not half empty.



Learn. Live. Hope.

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 pm

@LLH - OP seemed pessimistic on his PT scores. He had hit his minimum target several times, but had a wide range. While never stated, I think his median and average PT scores were below his minimum target. All of those suggest he should at most take in December. Hitting well below his minimum target will hurt more than the slight chance he hits his PT best would help. Also, I think TCR is typically, absent personal reasons, to take a gap year.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:Why would you advise him/her to take a year off?


vracovino wrote:I just got -7 on my last LG section during a test, and -8 on RC. That can't happen test day. Both sections are still occasionally kicking my ass.


If this is how it goes on test day, the end result will be a score in the low 160s. So like BJS notes above, it is probably advisable to postpone at least 'till December, but be prepared to apply a cycle later.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:50 pm

BJS wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
BJS wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Hey guys, first time posting. What do you guys do to help motivate you? My biggest issue is with RC where I'll end up with -5 on a good section and sometimes -10 :/ After work when it is time to study I start reading and my motivation to work on RC just go away and makes it hard to focus... So what gets you guys going when it comes to studying?


This was me for two years, so I completely understand. What changed for me was understanding (in quantitative terms) what a certain score would do for my admissions and employment. Thereafter it has been keeping that in focus AND falling on key accountability mechanisms. I shared drilling with a friend, I tracked myself on LSATqa, and I lurked and posted here. Combined, they have given me a lot of focus and energy.


you been prepping for 2 yrs??


Started prepping Summer 2012 and stopped after two chapters of PS LGB because I decided to take a gap year. Started prepping a Summer 2013 and took the Oct 2013 test. Started prepping Summer 2014 for this test.


ahh I see that makes a lot more sense

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:54 pm

LLH confirmed k-JDer

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:54 pm

BillPackets wrote:LLH confirmed k-JDer

eta: explains a lot

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:55 pm

ErgoSum wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:Your glass should be half full, not half empty.



Learn. Live. Hope.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:57 pm

BJS wrote:@LLH - OP seemed pessimistic on his PT scores. He had hit his minimum target several times, but had a wide range. While never stated, I think his median and average PT scores were below his minimum target. All of those suggest he should at most take in December. Hitting well below his minimum target will hurt more than the slight chance he hits his PT best would help. Also, I think TCR is typically, absent personal reasons, to take a gap year.


Yes, he should postpone. However, he should not take a year off by any means. In that case, December Retakers thread should not exist at all because no one should be taking the LSAT in December for the purpose of applying this year. Once it gets up and running, stop in and advise them to sit out for a year. Seriously?
Last edited by Learn_Live_Hope on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:00 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:LLH confirmed k-JDer

eta: explains a lot


Really? I think if anyone is not informed in this situation is all of you. To advise someone not to take the December LSAT for the purpose of applying this year is just crazy.

If it doesn't work out for all of you In less than two weeks, I don't expect to see you all in December retakers thread with the purpose of applying this cycle. Just sit out a cycle.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:02 pm

ITT today: LLH feels marginalized for being a k-JDer

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 pm

BillPackets wrote:ITT today: LLH feels marginalized for being a k-JDer


Bill,

You shouldn't assume how I feel, rather you should ask. Have some etiquette. :mrgreen:

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm

ITT today: bill, out of concern for how someone feels on an internet forum, asks that person how he or she feels, rather than assuming how he or she feels.

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:09 pm

BillPackets wrote:ITT today: bill, out of concern for how someone feels on an internet forum, asks that person how he or she feels, rather than assuming how he or she feels.


:D

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
Really? I think if anyone is not informed in this situation is all of you. To advise someone not to take the LSAT for the purpose of applying this year is just crazy.

If it doesn't work out for all of you In less than two weeks, I don't expect to see you all in December retakers thread with the purpose of applying this cycle.


Need to work on them RC skills a lil bit? Nobody's saying he/she shouldn't give it a shot in Dec. if PT scores are fairly consistently on target (or perhaps even in two weeks if the situation approves noticeably) and apply w/ that score if it's what it needs to be. Applying with a Dec. score is fine, obviously, at least in principle. What would be crazy would be to insist on applying with a sub-par score, irrespective of when it is obtained. That's why we are suggesting to be ready to wait a year.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:13 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Need to work on them RC skills a lil bit? Nobody's saying he/she shouldn't give it a shot in Dec. if PT scores are fairly consistently on target (or perhaps even in two weeks if the situation approves noticeably) and apply w/ that score if it's what it needs to be. Applying with a Dec. score is fine, obviously, at least in principle. What would be crazy would be to insist on applying with a sub-par score, irrespective of when it is obtained. That's why we are suggesting to be ready to wait a year.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:Need to work on them RC skills a lil bit?


ITT today old man gets snarky w/ k-jders

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 pm

schmelling wrote:In fairness, LLH, I will be sitting in september and I expect to hit my target, but if I do not, I will retake in december with the intention of applying next cycle. Largely because for almost everyone and particularly for a splitter, the best options are at the front end of the cycle, and I really don't want to waste a lot of effort crafting a perfect application only for it to be too late to matter. Much better to take my time with my applications and create a pristine image of myself on paper to be submitted on the very first day of next cycle. I think most agree this is TCR.


Thats your personal preference, however that not the majority. Many will be taking with the intention of applying this cycle. No disrespect to you, however if you are a splitter in which case I am one as well, the likelihood of you riding the waitlist is very high. There are many students that applied last year the first day apps opened up, and ended up on the waitlist not to mention taking LSAT in later months for the waitlist purposes. I think you are taking it to the extreme, because according to your own words you are already late given that you did not apply the first days apps opened up, and in all honesty will not be applying until October at the earliest. :shock:
Last edited by Learn_Live_Hope on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:21 pm

every1 ok lets end this gap year/when you should apply/debate cuz LLH is obvs #1 gunner status-must-apply-this-cycle-n-every1-should its obvs personal preference+sum strategy n timing k got it cool

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:23 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BillPackets wrote:ITT today: bill, out of concern for how someone feels on an internet forum, asks that person how he or she feels, rather than assuming how he or she feels.


:D

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
Really? I think if anyone is not informed in this situation is all of you. To advise someone not to take the LSAT for the purpose of applying this year is just crazy.

If it doesn't work out for all of you In less than two weeks, I don't expect to see you all in December retakers thread with the purpose of applying this cycle.


Need to work on them RC skills a lil bit? Nobody's saying he/she shouldn't give it a shot in Dec. if PT scores are fairly consistently on target (or perhaps even in two weeks if the situation approves noticeably) and apply w/ that score if it's what it needs to be. Applying with a Dec. score is fine, obviously, at least in principle. What would be crazy would be to insist on applying with a sub-par score, irrespective of when it is obtained. That's why we are suggesting to be ready to wait a year.


You need to work on your RC a lil bit, because you area addressing an issue with me that I never argued against in the first place. Hello. September LSAT is not looking good for you. I noticed you were off topic the first time you responded to my post. To carry this conversation of when he should be taking an LSAT is pointless, because I never claimed that he should take it when his scores are not on target. That was an assumption made on your end. A poor one for that matter. Maybe you missed it, however majority of you did state that he should not apply with the December score (assuming its what he wants).
Last edited by Learn_Live_Hope on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:26 pm

BillPackets wrote:every1 ok lets end this gap year/when you should apply/debate cuz LLH is obvs #1 gunner status-must-apply-this-cycle-n-every1-should its obvs personal preference+sum strategy n timing k got it cool


Here goes another assumption. This isn't about what I want, its about the truth: You can still apply with a December score and have a successful cycle. :idea: To state otherwise would be foolish.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Quick question... I have 5 PT's left, but I am completely out of drilling shit. What does a brother do on non-PT days?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, clueless801, jagerbom79 and 12 guests