The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vracovino

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by vracovino » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 am

Does anyone else feel like they are just super unmotivated? I know how much work I still have left to do. I just got -7 on my last LG section during a test, and -8 on RC. That can't happen test day. Both sections are still occasionally kicking my ass. Yet, I just feel so out of it. Four months of doing the same shit everyday and i'm numb to the process. Add on top of that reading for my classes and its just too much :/

Someone tell me to suck it up!

Edit: sorry for using this thread almost exclusively as my soap box

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 am

vracovino wrote:Does anyone else feel like they are just super unmotivated? I know how much work I still have left to do. I just got -7 on my last LG section during a test, and -8 on RC. That can't happen test day. Both sections are still occasionally kicking my ass. Yet, I just feel so out of it. Four months of doing the same shit everyday and i'm numb to the process. Add on top of that reading for my classes and its just too much :/

SUCK IT UP
[youtube]EL8e2ujXe8g[/youtube]

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:Morning, fellas. Haven't been able to sleep well for a week, and I feel like death right now. Hope y'all are managing your stress better than I am!

I was happy (giddy) to discover ~60 more flaw Qs that I haven't done yet, so that's what's up for the next lil bit!

Nice block and TD yesterday, BillsTar.
my tar could b misleading in that i havent watched an NFL game for 10 years and i dont really like football

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 am

vracovino wrote:Does anyone else feel like they are just super unmotivated? I know how much work I still have left to do. I just got -7 on my last LG section during a test, and -8 on RC. That can't happen test day. Both sections are still occasionally kicking my ass. Yet, I just feel so out of it. Four months of doing the same shit everyday and i'm numb to the process. Add on top of that reading for my classes and its just too much :/

#1: Slack on your school work. If you're a diligent student it will make you feel awful, and it may seem more pressing, but no school assignment matters more than the LSAT to your future. You can probably get away with 50% effort for two more weeks.

#2: Assess your readiness for September. Is -7 an extreme[\b] outlier? What are your past five PT scores in relation to your minimum target score? If you haven't hit your minimum target or if your recent PT average is more than 2-3 points beneath it, you should seriously consider waiting until December. Nothing will be gained by taking now when unready.

ErgoSum

Bronze

Post by ErgoSum » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:33 am

So instead of taking my PT yesterday, I got a phone-call from a friend/professor that teaches law at my undergraduate university, and we met up and did RC passages for 6 hours. Taking PT66 today.

I was supposed to take 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 before the exam, but that means I would need to take one almost every day this week. I'm not sure if I should do that, or jump around and take specific ones, because I still want to drill a ton, and my work schedule won't allow me to do everything.

What do you all suggest? Which ones out of those do you consider the most difficult or the tests we ought to take before test day. Thanks <3
Edit: I've taken 35-65 so far

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hetookmetoamovie

Silver

Post by hetookmetoamovie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:39 am

BillPackets wrote: my tar could b misleading in that i havent watched an NFL game for 10 years and i dont really like football
BillPackets is a riddle wrapped in an enigma inside an undefined grouping game.

hetookmetoamovie

Silver

Post by hetookmetoamovie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:49 am

hereisonehand wrote: SUCK IT UP
[youtube]EL8e2ujXe8g[/youtube]
It's nahhht a tooomuh.
I predict that TLS next week will be clips of this sort alternating with motivational speeches delivered by sports team coaches or presidents in movies.

vracovino

Bronze

Post by vracovino » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am

BJS wrote:

#1: Slack on your school work. If you're a diligent student it will make you feel awful, and it may seem more pressing, but no school assignment matters more than the LSAT to your future. You can probably get away with 50% effort for two more weeks.

#2: Assess your readiness for September. Is -7 an extreme[\b] outlier? What are your past five PT scores in relation to your minimum target score? If you haven't hit your minimum target or if your recent PT average is more than 2-3 points beneath it, you should seriously consider waiting until December. Nothing will be gained by taking now when unready.

-7 is somewhat extreme. I usually get anywhere from -2 to -5. My RC average is not necessarily an outlier. That is a very volatile section for me. That particular test (PT 60) I got a combined -5 on LR which I was happy about. But I need to improve drastically on at least one of the sections. I have hit my minimum target 4 or 5 times but I'm not consistent there- but a consistent -2 on LG would just about get me there.

And as far as school is concerned, I absolutely know that is what I have to do. But its hard for me, and I feel like it will really bring my spirits down if I F up the LSAT and school work. I know its superficial, but I don't have any B's on my record and I really want to keep it that way :|.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:53 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
BillPackets wrote: my tar could b misleading in that i havent watched an NFL game for 10 years and i dont really like football
Who is billstar

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:00 pm

vracovino wrote:
BJS wrote:

-7 is somewhat extreme. I usually get anywhere from -2 to -5. My RC average is not necessarily an outlier. That is a very volatile section for me. That particular test (PT 60) I got a combined -5 on LR which I was happy about. But I need to improve drastically on at least one of the sections. I have hit my minimum target 4 or 5 times but I'm not consistent there- but a consistent -2 on LG would just about get me there.

And as far as school is concerned, I absolutely know that is what I have to do. But its hard for me, and I feel like it will really bring my spirits down if I F up the LSAT and school work. I know its superficial, but I don't have any B's on my record and I really want to keep it that way :|.

My quick suggestion is to take a year off. Focus on your school work, enjoy your senior year, get WE, and be a stronger applicant in a year. Unless there are personal factors, I don't see any downside to this and a TON of upside. You just don't sound ready to take Sept, so you should at least delay until Dec.

If you're set on c/o 2018 and the Sept test, I suggest you focus hard on drilling LG. As you said, getting that to -2 is a key accomplishment.

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Hey guys, first time posting. What do you guys do to help motivate you? My biggest issue is with RC where I'll end up with -5 on a good section and sometimes -10 :/ After work when it is time to study I start reading and my motivation to work on RC just go away and makes it hard to focus... So what gets you guys going when it comes to studying?

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Jgoods wrote:Hey guys, first time posting. What do you guys do to help motivate you? My biggest issue is with RC where I'll end up with -5 on a good section and sometimes -10 :/ After work when it is time to study I start reading and my motivation to work on RC just go away and makes it hard to focus... So what gets you guys going when it comes to studying?
This was me for two years, so I completely understand. What changed for me was understanding (in quantitative terms) what a certain score would do for my admissions and employment. Thereafter it has been keeping that in focus AND falling on key accountability mechanisms. I shared drilling with a friend, I tracked myself on LSATqa, and I lurked and posted here. Combined, they have given me a lot of focus and energy.

accessislife

Bronze

Post by accessislife » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm

I'm all about looking up motivational quotes or stories generally - Bruce Lee & Vince Lombardi have some great ones - bottom line: no one gets anywhere without sacrifice and exceptional drive-the stopwatch method is very helpful as is some sort of movement - run, lift or anything else to take that anxious edge off and bring you back to the task at hand- anyone else spazzing about the rest of the process? LORs PS etc?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vracovino

Bronze

Post by vracovino » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm

BJS wrote:
vracovino wrote:
BJS wrote:

My quick suggestion is to take a year off. Focus on your school work, enjoy your senior year, get WE, and be a stronger applicant in a year. Unless there are personal factors, I don't see any downside to this and a TON of upside. You just don't sound ready to take Sept, so you should at least delay until Dec.

If you're set on c/o 2018 and the Sept test, I suggest you focus hard on drilling LG. As you said, getting that to -2 is a key accomplishment.

I would but the "get work experience" part concerns me. I'm from a middling state school and have an English degree. It would be cool to write for a paper or something but I have very few publications and I mean a graduate degree is pretty much a necessity now. Id be lucky to get any job at all, I think.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:17 pm

vracovino wrote:I would but the "get work experience" part concerns me. I'm from a middling state school and have an English degree. It would be cool to write for a paper or something but I have very few publications and I mean a graduate degree is pretty much a necessity now. Id be lucky to get any job at all, I think.
u can def find a job its just probz not gonna b english related but yeah u can get 1 for sure just wont b prestigious but most ppl dont work prestige jobs so its all good

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:18 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:19 pm

BJS wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Hey guys, first time posting. What do you guys do to help motivate you? My biggest issue is with RC where I'll end up with -5 on a good section and sometimes -10 :/ After work when it is time to study I start reading and my motivation to work on RC just go away and makes it hard to focus... So what gets you guys going when it comes to studying?
This was me for two years, so I completely understand. What changed for me was understanding (in quantitative terms) what a certain score would do for my admissions and employment. Thereafter it has been keeping that in focus AND falling on key accountability mechanisms. I shared drilling with a friend, I tracked myself on LSATqa, and I lurked and posted here. Combined, they have given me a lot of focus and energy.
you been prepping for 2 yrs??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Ya I mean I understand what the score means and that, I don't know, maybe it is stress that takes the motivation away. I recently got a job at a law office so because of work time constraints I only have so much time to study so I have stopped working out (to avoid getting too little sleep) but I think that may be actually hindering my studies.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:21 pm

BillPackets wrote:
vracovino wrote:I would but the "get work experience" part concerns me. I'm from a middling state school and have an English degree. It would be cool to write for a paper or something but I have very few publications and I mean a graduate degree is pretty much a necessity now. Id be lucky to get any job at all, I think.
u can def find a job its just probz not gonna b english related but yeah u can get 1 for sure just wont b prestigious but most ppl dont work prestige jobs so its all good
If you're still at times going -7 and -8 on sections I would seriously consider postponing. Also, like Bill said, you can get some job or other. It won't be fun probably, but it'll be better than going to a shitty law school at close to sticker.

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:27 pm

hereisonehand wrote:If you're still at times going -7 and -8 on sections I would seriously consider postponing. Also, like Bill said, you can get some job or other. It won't be fun probably, but it'll be better than going to a shitty law school at close to sticker.
thats pretty accurate i mean its def daunting to b staring down the barrel of graduation w really no plans when youve been in school for 17 years straight and always goin on 2 the next level of school but some place will hire u for an entry level job n u wont like it but u wont like most jobs so yeah

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:28 pm

schmelling wrote:Fell for a lot of sucker choices this weekend on RC so I'm drilling sections under timed conditions. Then going through untimed and explaining why every wrong answer is wrong. Do you guys think this is an efficient process? I don't want to waste valuable time.
its what im doin right now. ill even write down the lines where the right answer comes from

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:28 pm

vracovino wrote: I would but the "get work experience" part concerns me. I'm from a middling state school and have an English degree. It would be cool to write for a paper or something but I have very few publications and I mean a graduate degree is pretty much a necessity now. Id be lucky to get any job at all, I think.
You're underestimating the job market. I was a history major and I've been doing fundraising and marketing for the local office of a national nonprofit. If you start prospecting a job now you will definitely find something. Better to struggle to find work before law school than struggle after because you went to a bad law school because your LSAT was lower than your potential.

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:30 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
BJS wrote:
you been prepping for 2 yrs??
Started prepping Summer 2012 and stopped after two chapters of PS LGB because I decided to take a gap year. Started prepping a Summer 2013 and took the Oct 2013 test. Started prepping Summer 2014 for this test.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”