The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 pm

Just got this email from my old school.

Image

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 pm

smccgrey wrote:Hey guys! Thanks for the well wishes it means a lot.

I mean I still feel like shit but it's the thought that counts.

Didn't PT or study at all this weekend because 0 energy. But I really want to congratulate sfogs because that 174 was hard earned, and I know somewhere Ryan Gosling is proud.


Aww, thank you, Grey. I hope you feel better soon. I'm so sorry that you are sick. :(

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:00 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Just got this email from my old school.

Image



That should be good study motivation.

lurj
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lurj » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:25 am

Has anyone used The LSAT trainer as a study tool? I've been using it for my september retake and for the first time ever I got a -1 on both LR combined (pt62). I seriously cannot recommend this book enough for a retaker. Can't really comment on how effective it is as a primary studying tool but its seriously amazing if you already have the foundation.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 am

I totally understand sfogs' I-need-175+ mentality. GPA can't be changed. LSAT scores can. If I had a GPA high enough for HYS, I'd do everything in my power to get a LSAT score above median. Sure, she can probably get a clerkship or whatever at CCN, but why settle for anything less than all you can be. Some of us are locked out of T3 or T6 because of our GPA; she isn't. Go for the gold. Or go for the full scholly T14/partial scholly T6.

some1uknown
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby some1uknown » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:46 am

Need a little bit of advice, my LR is kind of all over the place, sometimes i'll get -3 per section and other times i'll get -9. Any ideas on how to even it out to getting a more consistent score, preferably on the higher end of the scoring side.

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:08 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:I totally understand sfogs' I-need-175+ mentality. GPA can't be changed. LSAT scores can. If I had a GPA high enough for HYS, I'd do everything in my power to get a LSAT score above median. Sure, she can probably get a clerkship or whatever at CCN, but why settle for anything less than all you can be. Some of us are locked out of T3 or T6 because of our GPA; she isn't. Go for the gold. Or go for the full scholly T14/partial scholly T6.


The deal with HY is that they only give need-based aid, so if you have HY numbers your COA there will be much higher than your COA at CCN. Yes, HYS have superior employment scores, but for the typical applicant they aren't that significant versus the COA difference. Certainly we should gun for highest LSAT possible, but I don't think sfogs should be hard on herself for scoring, like, a 172. That's still freaking awesome. I would die for a 172 on the real thing.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:35 am

some1uknown wrote:Need a little bit of advice, my LR is kind of all over the place, sometimes i'll get -3 per section and other times i'll get -9. Any ideas on how to even it out to getting a more consistent score, preferably on the higher end of the scoring side.

1) review 2) drill 3) review 4) review

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 am

BJS wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I totally understand sfogs' I-need-175+ mentality. GPA can't be changed. LSAT scores can. If I had a GPA high enough for HYS, I'd do everything in my power to get a LSAT score above median. Sure, she can probably get a clerkship or whatever at CCN, but why settle for anything less than all you can be. Some of us are locked out of T3 or T6 because of our GPA; she isn't. Go for the gold. Or go for the full scholly T14/partial scholly T6.


The deal with HY is that they only give need-based aid, so if you have HY numbers your COA there will be much higher than your COA at CCN. Yes, HYS have superior employment scores, but for the typical applicant they aren't that significant versus the COA difference. Certainly we should gun for highest LSAT possible, but I don't think sfogs should be hard on herself for scoring, like, a 172. That's still freaking awesome. I would die for a 172 on the real thing.


You're making me feel stupid for retaking a 170. But I'm thinking why not, I'm pretty sure I can score at least a couple points higher, and a 173 is much, much better than a 170, right? I would be happy with a 172+ but I'm really expecting a 175+ out of myself.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 am

What's yr GPA pnj

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 am

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:PartyCam :shock:

R u k-JD?


Why do you ask Bill?

Just curious every1 ITT has said what point they r at i.e. W/E n such just curious bout u

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 am

2.4 :cry:

Some guy on TLS is at northwestern with the same numbers, and got into a bunch of t25 schools with full or 3/4 scholly. So I'm hoping to do that or better. A lot of people say any higher than a 170 won't make a difference since I'm locked out of T6 and at T7-14, 170 is pretty much 75% median. So any higher won't matter. Idk though, wouldn't I get a better shot at nw with a 175 than a 170?

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:07 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:2.4 :cry:

Some guy on TLS is at northwestern with the same numbers, and got into a bunch of t25 schools with full or 3/4 scholly. So I'm hoping to do that or better.

Ok retaking a 170 at 2.4 is more understandable than some others who retake 170s

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
BJS wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I totally understand sfogs' I-need-175+ mentality. GPA can't be changed. LSAT scores can. If I had a GPA high enough for HYS, I'd do everything in my power to get a LSAT score above median. Sure, she can probably get a clerkship or whatever at CCN, but why settle for anything less than all you can be. Some of us are locked out of T3 or T6 because of our GPA; she isn't. Go for the gold. Or go for the full scholly T14/partial scholly T6.


The deal with HY is that they only give need-based aid, so if you have HY numbers your COA there will be much higher than your COA at CCN. Yes, HYS have superior employment scores, but for the typical applicant they aren't that significant versus the COA difference. Certainly we should gun for highest LSAT possible, but I don't think sfogs should be hard on herself for scoring, like, a 172. That's still freaking awesome. I would die for a 172 on the real thing.


You're making me feel stupid for retaking a 170. But I'm thinking why not, I'm pretty sure I can score at least a couple points higher, and a 173 is much, much better than a 170, right? I would be happy with a 172+ but I'm really expecting a 175+ out of myself.


I mean I'll retake a 170 in December if I get it because my averages say I can hit above that. But by Thanksgiving I would apply to schools that a 170 is sufficient for - looking at myLSN, probably Chicago + NYU and below. Retaking and getting a higher score in December would give me a boost in scholarships and getting off any waitlists, plus the chance at Harvard and Columbia.

Mainly, though, I don't want to skip next week (unless my PT averages are below my minimum target) because then I'd really only have one shot at the LSAT for c/o 2018 - December - and I'm all in for c/o 2018. Btw, I think Sfogs's situation is very different because she's willing to sit out for c/o 2019. It's really all a personalized determination based on the balancing acts of GPA/LSAT/myLSN and personal goals and requirements.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:2.4 :cry:

Some guy on TLS is at northwestern with the same numbers, and got into a bunch of t25 schools with full or 3/4 scholly. So I'm hoping to do that or better. A lot of people say any higher than a 170 won't make a difference since I'm locked out of T6 and at T7-14, 170 is pretty much 75% median. So any higher won't matter. Idk though, wouldn't I get a better shot at nw with a 175 than a 170?


Yea you would for this reason. If 170 is 75th at NW your 170 keeps it the same anything over helps raise it. But the difference between a 171 and 175 is minimal.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:58 am

Cue outrage from k-JDers n HYS gunners

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:07 am

BillPackets wrote:Cue outrage from k-JDers n HYS gunners

180

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:25 am

BJS wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
BJS wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I totally understand sfogs' I-need-175+ mentality. GPA can't be changed. LSAT scores can. If I had a GPA high enough for HYS, I'd do everything in my power to get a LSAT score above median. Sure, she can probably get a clerkship or whatever at CCN, but why settle for anything less than all you can be. Some of us are locked out of T3 or T6 because of our GPA; she isn't. Go for the gold. Or go for the full scholly T14/partial scholly T6.


The deal with HY is that they only give need-based aid, so if you have HY numbers your COA there will be much higher than your COA at CCN. Yes, HYS have superior employment scores, but for the typical applicant they aren't that significant versus the COA difference. Certainly we should gun for highest LSAT possible, but I don't think sfogs should be hard on herself for scoring, like, a 172. That's still freaking awesome. I would die for a 172 on the real thing.


You're making me feel stupid for retaking a 170. But I'm thinking why not, I'm pretty sure I can score at least a couple points higher, and a 173 is much, much better than a 170, right? I would be happy with a 172+ but I'm really expecting a 175+ out of myself.


I mean I'll retake a 170 in December if I get it because my averages say I can hit above that. But by Thanksgiving I would apply to schools that a 170 is sufficient for - looking at myLSN, probably Chicago + NYU and below. Retaking and getting a higher score in December would give me a boost in scholarships and getting off any waitlists, plus the chance at Harvard and Columbia.

Mainly, though, I don't want to skip next week (unless my PT averages are below my minimum target) because then I'd really only have one shot at the LSAT for c/o 2018 - December - and I'm all in for c/o 2018. Btw, I think Sfogs's situation is very different because she's willing to sit out for c/o 2019. It's really all a personalized determination based on the balancing acts of GPA/LSAT/myLSN and personal goals and requirements.


Not really. You still have multiple shots at LSAT even with December, because you can still apply with the December score, and then just update it with a February score. If needed you can take it in June again for scholarship purposes.

Dont count yourself out that easily.

Have some faith, and fight for it. :wink:

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am

BillPackets wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:PartyCam :shock:

R u k-JD?


Why do you ask Bill?

Just curious every1 ITT has said what point they r at i.e. W/E n such just curious bout u

QFLLH

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:31 am

BillPackets wrote:QFLLH

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote:QFLLH


All of you need to stop using abbreviations, because I can barely follow. :lol:

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 am

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote:QFLLH


All of you need to stop using abbreviations, because I can barely follow. :lol:

QFLLH= Quoted For Learn_Live_Hope

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:36 am

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:Not really. You still have multiple shots at LSAT even with December, because you can still apply with the December score, and then just update it with a February score. If needed you can take it in June again for scholarship purposes.

Dont count yourself out that easily.

Have some faith, and fight for it. :wink:


LLH! Your positivism is infectious! I actually feel solid with Sept and Dec as a retake backup. I also think Dec and Feb as a backup is more risky unless I'm not averaging my minimum target score.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:52 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Just got this email from my old school.

Image


"thanks for the support guys!"

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 am

dasani13 wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
dasani13 wrote:168 on PT 68 this morning.

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

I freaked out over my RC score considering my average is -8! Drilling RC does help, guys!

Anyone else taking 72 this week?


Not taking 72 again (you took it for real in june as well right?), but I do plan on doing the games of that at some point.


Yup I did, what's your reasoning for not taking it again?


I remember enough of it to feel like it's not worth doing the whole thing -- doing it won't require the same level of focus as doing a fresh test, and forcing myself to stay concentrated for a few hours is really what I'm doing PTs for at this point. In addition I can only PT over the weekend, and I still have a few fresh tests left, so that seems a better way to spend my time.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, dj9i27, Instrumental, SunDevil14 and 7 guests