The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
hetookmetoamovie
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:57 pm

sfoglia wrote:OMG guyssssssss. I can't believe it! I'm in shock! A 174 exactly! If I hadn't changed two answers at the last minute, it would have been a 177, but, I am so complaining!

Pleasepleasepleaseplease let me be able to keep this up for the next three PTs. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease LSAT gods, please.


Image

We (Ryan & everyone ITT) knew you could do it!

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
chimera wrote:
dasani13 wrote:168 on PT 68 this morning.

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

I freaked out over my RC score considering my average is -8! Drilling RC does help, guys!

Anyone else taking 72 this week?


Yee I'm taking 70-72 this week


Samesies.

Nice jump in RC, dasani13!


Thank you! -3 is my best in RC! :)

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 pm

sfoglia wrote:OMG guyssssssss. I can't believe it! I'm in shock! A 174 exactly! If I hadn't changed two answers at the last minute, it would have been a 177, but, I am so complaining!

Pleasepleasepleaseplease let me be able to keep this up for the next three PTs. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease LSAT gods, please.


Whoa! Way to call your shot, fogs. Very impressive.

Edit: Post 180! So many milestones happening right now. 180s for everyone!
Last edited by GreenTee on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Thank you all for being so supportive. I don't know what I'd do without this thread! (Probably more chocolate and crying.)

Image

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:04 pm

BJS wrote:Pleasepleasepleaseplease let me be able to keep this up for the next three PTs. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease LSAT gods, please.


Why not! I'm slowly accumulating an arsenal of ritualistic/superstitious pre-test behaviors, so what's one more? I expect I'll be rubbing my feet on the carpet and trying to electrocute myself too, soon enough.

Speaking of, any updates Bill?

(P.S. Your scores are so incredible! I definitely thought of your latest breakdown while I was grading. "Trying to go BJS right now.")

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hetookmetoamovie
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:10 pm

sfoglia wrote:I expect I'll be rubbing my feet on the carpet and trying to electrocute myself too, soon enough.

Speaking of, any updates Bill?

This segue is 180

Edited bc html is not my fucking forte
Last edited by hetookmetoamovie on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:13 pm

sfoglia wrote:(P.S. Your scores are so incredible! I definitely thought of your latest breakdown while I was grading. "Trying to go BJS right now.")


You are too kind! I've actually had a lot of variation, which really worries me. Plus I'm estimating that I'll get three points lower than my average. I've taken 22 PTs and it's frustrating to know that none of them matter in the slightest once the real score comes in.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:14 pm

sfoglia wrote:OMG guyssssssss. I can't believe it! I'm in shock! A 174 exactly! If I hadn't changed two answers at the last minute, it would have been a 177, but, I am so complaining!

Pleasepleasepleaseplease let me be able to keep this up for the next three PTs. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease LSAT gods, please.


Good job! And trust your gut. I never go back to change things.

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Killed it sfogs

User avatar
edawg212
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby edawg212 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:18 pm

looking for some help guys!

New here, took June 2014 and scored a 164 after having been consistently between 166 - 168 on PTs, test conditions (done with Testmasters)

In the end, I wasn't ready for that test - i was scoring -4 LG, -7ish LR (combined), -6ish RC consistently

So now I'm back and studying for the next one. I've completely cleaned up my act: anywhere from -2 to -5 combined LR, -0 to -2 LG, but RC is still my downfall.

I haven't improved a bit. 30PTs and tons of drilling, and not a bit. I'm consistently at that -6 mark, and I don't even know what to do.

Last few tests:

168 /170
168/168

Anyone have any tips? Really want to bring home the gold on this next test to put me anywhere between 167 and 172

User avatar
churrochi
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby churrochi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:19 pm

BJS wrote:
churrochi wrote:With drilling, do you time yourself? I've worked through some packets that cater to my weaknesses (SA, Weaken - to name a few), and while I can get the questions right then, I still miss them on the actual PT.


On LG and RC - yes, because timing is so critical for me on these.

On LR - no. I've rarely struggled with timing on LR and typically find myself with plenty of time (5+) minutes at the end of a section, which I spend reviewing the questions I've identified as my most difficult. My issue was that I misunderstood the fundamentals, so (untimed) drilling allowed me to correct the fundamentals. If you find yourself going -0 while drilling and missing a lot on PTs, it probably indicates that the timing/speed is somehow messing up your thought processes. It could also be that drilling a packet allows you to get into a rhythm of answering a specific question type, while a PT numerous types and difficulties spread throughout so you have to adjust.

I hear you on timing with LG and RC. I don't have any particular problems on LG (usually -0 to -3, which I'm satisfied with) and likewise with RC. I've noticed exactly what you said with past drilling packets/untimed LR. I really think I'm having issues with timing, because I do go -1 or so if I go untimed or am doing packets (with the exception of Weaken, which I know I suck at). Since I'm struggling with time/switching strategies per question, do you think drilling timed sections after going back and reviewing the fundamentals (haven't had a look at them in a few weeks) would benefit me over packets or timed PTs? (Also- how do you personally review fundamentals? Reading old chapters + drilling afterwards? That's what I'm thinking of doing tomorrow, but would love to hear another approach if you have one.)

I freelance from home, and have suspended all my projects from now until the LSAT, so I'm definitely aiming to use my time wisely and make the last few days count.
Last edited by churrochi on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:20 pm

BJS wrote:
sfoglia wrote:(P.S. Your scores are so incredible! I definitely thought of your latest breakdown while I was grading. "Trying to go BJS right now.")


You are too kind! I've actually had a lot of variation, which really worries me. Plus I'm estimating that I'll get three points lower than my average. I've taken 22 PTs and it's frustrating to know that none of them matter in the slightest once the real score comes in.


Are your recent scores still all over the map? Or are it mostly the older ones? FWIW I had considerable more variation before the last test (ranging from 169 to 179) than I have now ,but ended up scoring exactly three points below what I was averaging.

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:31 pm

schmelling wrote:
BJS wrote:
sfoglia wrote:(P.S. Your scores are so incredible! I definitely thought of your latest breakdown while I was grading. "Trying to go BJS right now.")


You are too kind! I've actually had a lot of variation, which really worries me. Plus I'm estimating that I'll get three points lower than my average. I've taken 22 PTs and it's frustrating to know that none of them matter in the slightest once the real score comes in.


Ditto. My average score on my last 8 tests is a 172, but my range is 169-178 and I do not like the idea that I have gone near perfect and still don't get a 170 reliably. Drilling RC this week to try to assess why i am so inconsistent in this section.


169 is so close to 170! Drilling can't possibly hurt. I think that's a good idea.

It is scary to think that maybe the actual test will end up being as difficult as some of our worst. Alternately, every time I take a test that feel easier, I pray that the real thing will end up skewing that way.

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:37 pm

schmelling wrote:Ditto. My average score on my last 8 tests is a 172, but my range is 169-178 and I do not like the idea that I have gone near perfect and still don't get a 170 reliably. Drilling RC this week to try to assess why i am so inconsistent in this section.


My Cumulative tests:
Mode: 174 and 175 (four times each) followed by 171 and 175 (thrice each) then 172 (twice)
Median: 174
Average: 174.3
Range: 171-180

Past five tests (dating back to 8/31):
-Median: 175
-Average: 175.4
-Range: 171-180

That's what's so frustrating. It doesn't really look like anything has improved. Here's my interpretation though: in the past five games, my lowest score (171) was my third PT in as many days while my second-lowest score (173) was after a six day work week. I'm hoping that my other scores are more reflective of where I'll be mentally on test day. But still, knowing my range still reaches down to 171 (168 after three point drop) is really scary.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:40 pm

BJS wrote:
schmelling wrote:Ditto. My average score on my last 8 tests is a 172, but my range is 169-178 and I do not like the idea that I have gone near perfect and still don't get a 170 reliably. Drilling RC this week to try to assess why i am so inconsistent in this section.


My Cumulative tests:
Mode: 174 and 175 (four times each) followed by 171 and 175 (thrice each) then 172 (twice)
Median:174.
Range: 171-180

Past five tests (dating back to 8/31):
-Median: 175
-Average: 175.4
-Range: 171-180

That's what's so frustrating. It doesn't really look like anything has improved. Here's my interpretation though: in the past five games, my lowest score (171) was my third PT in as many days while my second-lowest score (173) was after a six day work week. I'm hoping that my other scores are more reflective of where I'll be mentally on test day. But still, knowing my range still reaches down to 171 (168 after three point drop) is really scary.


While obviously possible, it's not all that likely you'll score 3 points below your worst score, unless you have severe testing anxiety. With these nrs you can be fairly confident you'll get a 171+.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:24 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
dasani13 wrote:168 on PT 68 this morning.

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

I freaked out over my RC score considering my average is -8! Drilling RC does help, guys!

Anyone else taking 72 this week?


Not taking 72 again (you took it for real in june as well right?), but I do plan on doing the games of that at some point.


Yup I did, what's your reasoning for not taking it again?

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:05 pm

PT 64
LR-2
LG-0
LR-5
RC-5
171

I'm thinking the curve is gonna be similar to that on the real test. Its always one LR section man... one seems so easy and the other so difficult. RC, there was a rough science passage that I didn't understand, but only missed 1. Then, there was a passage about radical critics that I understood 100% and missed 2. Meh. FUCKING MEH.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby rebexness » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:06 pm

dasani13 wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
dasani13 wrote:168 on PT 68 this morning.

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

I freaked out over my RC score considering my average is -8! Drilling RC does help, guys!

Anyone else taking 72 this week?


Not taking 72 again (you took it for real in june as well right?), but I do plan on doing the games of that at some point.


Yup I did, what's your reasoning for not taking it again?


IMO i would take it again just NOT as your last PT.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:16 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:PT 64
LR-2
LG-0
LR-5
RC-5
171

I'm thinking the curve is gonna be similar to that on the real test. Its always one LR section man... one seems so easy and the other so difficult. RC, there was a rough science passage that I didn't understand, but only missed 1. Then, there was a passage about radical critics that I understood 100% and missed 2. Meh. FUCKING MEH.


congrats! Great score

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for the well wishes it means a lot.

I mean I still feel like shit but it's the thought that counts.

Didn't PT or study at all this weekend because 0 energy. But I really want to congratulate sfogs because that 174 was hard earned, and I know somewhere Ryan Gosling is proud.

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:22 pm

smccgrey wrote:Hey guys! Thanks for the well wishes it means a lot.

I mean I still feel like shit but it's the thought that counts.

Didn't PT or study at all this weekend because 0 energy. But I really want to congratulate sfogs because that 174 was hard earned, and I know somewhere Ryan Gosling is proud.


hope you feel better soon, I had the same thing, just getting over it now :(

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:39 pm

smccgrey wrote:Hey guys! Thanks for the well wishes it means a lot.

I mean I still feel like shit but it's the thought that counts.

Didn't PT or study at all this weekend because 0 energy. But I really want to congratulate sfogs because that 174 was hard earned, and I know somewhere Ryan Gosling is proud.


Aah everyone at my house is sick! I hope you feel better soon!

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:58 pm

ETA: I constantly double post unintentionally
Last edited by Colonel_funkadunk on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests