The Official September 2014 Study Group

BJS

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:44 pm

churrochi wrote:With drilling, do you time yourself? I've worked through some packets that cater to my weaknesses (SA, Weaken - to name a few), and while I can get the questions right then, I still miss them on the actual PT.

On LG and RC - yes, because timing is so critical for me on these.

On LR - no. I've rarely struggled with timing on LR and typically find myself with plenty of time (5+) minutes at the end of a section, which I spend reviewing the questions I've identified as my most difficult. My issue was that I misunderstood the fundamentals, so (untimed) drilling allowed me to correct the fundamentals. If you find yourself going -0 while drilling and missing a lot on PTs, it probably indicates that the timing/speed is somehow messing up your thought processes. It could also be that drilling a packet allows you to get into a rhythm of answering a specific question type, while a PT numerous types and difficulties spread throughout so you have to adjust.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:49 pm

BJS wrote:
churrochi wrote:With drilling, do you time yourself? I've worked through some packets that cater to my weaknesses (SA, Weaken - to name a few), and while I can get the questions right then, I still miss them on the actual PT.

On LG and RC - yes, because timing is so critical for me on these.

On LR - no. I've rarely struggled with timing on LR and typically find myself with plenty of time (5+) minutes at the end of a section, which I spend reviewing the questions I've identified as my most difficult. My issue was that I misunderstood the fundamentals, so (untimed) drilling allowed me to correct the fundamentals. If you find yourself going -0 while drilling and missing a lot on PTs, it probably indicates that the timing/speed is somehow messing up your thought processes. It could also be that drilling a packet allows you to get into a rhythm of answering a specific question type, while a PT numerous types and difficulties spread throughout so you have to adjust.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:18 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BJS wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Taking a PT today. DO NOT WANT.

I have exactly four PTs left that I can take until test day. (Thanks fucking full time job.) That means that if I don't score like 174+ on this one, I won't be writing on the 27th. I have about 2% confidence that I will be able to make that score.

Why set that requirement for this PT? Honestly curious. What's your target score on the real test?

Do you have sub-par GPA to overcome? I'm shooting for a 174 minimum, but I have no GPA.

Hi. On my break. Eating chocolate raisins. Very not-LSAT testing conditions.

No, I don't. I'm at 3.85, which should put me close to most medians. But, I want HY.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:19 pm

168 on PT 68 this morning.

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

I freaked out over my RC score considering my average is -8! Drilling RC does help, guys!

Anyone else taking 72 this week?

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:00 pm

dasani13 wrote:168 on PT 68 this morning.

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

I freaked out over my RC score considering my average is -8! Drilling RC does help, guys!

I messed w the games. The infamous game 4. Idk y tho I did them at like 12 AM after flying n shit

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:08 pm

I took two tests today back-to-back (break between for a quick lunch). I think I'm going to avoid doing two tests in one day from here on out. The second went pretty poorly and the first was my highest score yet. I think my time will be better served taking one test a day along with drilling.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Took PT70 yesterday.

LR exp -2
RC exp -4
LR -4/-4 (not so good...)
RC -2
LG -1
Scaled: 170

Took PT62 today in a proctored setting (Manhattan event). I've seen this test before (early July) so the score is inflated, and I'm pretty upset that I managed to do so poorly on RC, but it's definitely a tough section.

RC -5
LR exp -1
LR -0/-0
LG -1
Scaled: 176

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:20 pm

sfoglia wrote:

No, I don't. I'm at 3.85, which should put me close to most medians. But, I want HY.

Ah I see -- yeah, I'm only half kidding when I'm calling out to Asha itt :) It's good to aim high! Maybe we'll all see each other in New Haven next fall. I'll try not to pick on LLH irl if that happens.

I had planned to take PT 69 today but it turned out that I had already done so a few months ago so instead I took Preptest C from the superprep book, which was still fresh to me. Planning on 70 and 71 next weekend.

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:21 pm

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

Not taking 72 again (you took it for real in june as well right?), but I do plan on doing the games of that at some point.

chimera

Postby chimera » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:23 pm

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

Yee I'm taking 70-72 this week

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 pm

chimera wrote:

RC -3
LR -3
LR -3
LG -5

Yee I'm taking 70-72 this week

Samesies.

Nice jump in RC, dasani13!

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm

sfoglia wrote:Hi. On my break. Eating chocolate raisins. Very not-LSAT testing conditions.

You know your circumstances, but I think this seems like you're being too strenous on yourself. A 172 puts you at CCN with $ and elsewhere in the T14 with $$-$$$$, none of whose employment outcomes are significantly worse than HYS. In any case, a TLS wisdom says HY isn't the ideal outcome considering COA. IMHO, refusing to write for this LSAT because you haven't hit an ideal target is going to harm your admissions overall. Far better to get 172 in September, blanket T14, then retake in December for money or to get off waitlists.

Learn_Live_Hope

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:38 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
sfoglia wrote:

Ah I see -- yeah, I'm only half kidding when I'm calling out to Asha itt :) It's good to aim high! Maybe we'll all see each other in New Haven next fall. I'll try not to pick on LLH irl if that happens.

I had planned to take PT 69 today but it turned out that I had already done so a few months ago so instead I took Preptest C from the superprep book, which was still fresh to me. Planning on 70 and 71 next weekend.

You should not pick on me now either. :|

You would have too much fun sitting next to me in class, or spending time with me eating lunch, studying etc., there would be no room for picking on me. :mrgreen:

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:43 pm

LLH PartyCam® plz

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:44 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:LLH PartyCam® plz

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:44 pm

OMG guyssssssss. I can't believe it! I'm in shock! A 174 exactly! If I hadn't changed two answers at the last minute, it would have been a 177, but, I am so complaining!

Pleasepleasepleaseplease let me be able to keep this up for the next three PTs. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease LSAT gods, please.

Learn_Live_Hope

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 pm

BJS wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Hi. On my break. Eating chocolate raisins. Very not-LSAT testing conditions.

You know your circumstances, but I think this seems like you're being too strenous on yourself. A 172 puts you at CCN with $ and elsewhere in the T14 with $$-$$$$, none of whose employment outcomes are significantly worse than HYS. In any case, a TLS wisdom says HY isn't the ideal outcome considering COA. IMHO, refusing to write for this LSAT because you haven't hit an ideal target is going to harm your admissions overall. Far better to get 172 in September, blanket T14, then retake in December for money or to get off waitlists.

No it won't. December score will not harm her cycle. Even a two point increase in her score will outweigh a December app. Applying after December is extremely normal.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:LLH PartyCam® plz

Learn_Live_Hope

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 pm

sfoglia wrote:OMG guyssssssss. I can't believe it! I'm in shock! A 174 exactly! If I hadn't changed two answers at the last minute, it would have been a 177, but, I am so complaining!

Pleasepleasepleaseplease let me be able to keep this up for the next three PTs. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease LSAT gods, please.

Congrats

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:46 pm

sfoglia wrote:OMG guyssssssss. I can't believe it! I'm in shock! A 174 exactly! If I hadn't changed two answers at the last minute, it would have been a 177, but, I am so complaining!

Way2gofogs !

Learn_Live_Hope

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:46 pm

PartyCam :shock:

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:PartyCam :shock:

R u k-JD?

Learn_Live_Hope

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:49 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:PartyCam :shock:

R u k-JD?

Why do you ask Bill?
Last edited by Learn_Live_Hope on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJS

Postby BJS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:49 pm

This is awesome!!! Congrats! Okay, new strategy: tell yourself before the real test you won't go to law school unless you get, like, a 178.

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:No it won't. December score will not harm her cycle. Even a two point increase in her score will outweigh a December app. Applying after December is extremely normal.

Fair enough. Still, I don't think fogs needs a 174 unless she has really specific employment goals only HYS can accomplish.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:56 pm

BJS wrote:

Retaking in December would put me in a serious disadvantage for HY. For personal reasons, it's imperative that I stay as close to my family as possible, so I don't have to luxury of picking from any T14 school. And, anyway, given my stats, I'd be much more likely to score at a 168-169 than a 172. That means I'm not necessarily in at CN, either.

If it is the case that taking in December is going to likely prevent me from being admitted, although I've been told that it is unlikely to have much affect, then I will apply in another year.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”