The Official September 2014 Study Group

lexsi340

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lexsi340 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Checkin' in after lurking for the past few months and basking in the awe of all of your high scores. Now that I'm down to the final weeks... can I snag some advice on what my game plan should look like?

I've been prepping via a great class for the standard 10 weeks. Started ~155, and now consistently hitting a ~165 and an occasional 167-169 if I happen to not bomb RC.

My split looks like -9 LR (total), -3/-5 LG, and -5/-10 RC (although there was once the beautiful -2 RC). Of course, a 170 would be incredible, but I would be satisfied with hitting a 168.

Any advice on how to spend the next 2 weeks? I've been drilling LG, LR (no real improvement here, even at my diagnostic I was missing 5 per section), and RC and a few full sections thrown in a week in addition to supplementary chapters from LRB and LSAT Trainer. Now that I'm down to the final few weeks, should I be focusing on full-length tests, reviewing incorrect answers, trying new strategies, or just keep up with constant drilling? I've been putting in long hours in the library, but nothing seems to be pushing my overall score up.

Anything in particular that pushed you guys from the mediocre 165? I swear I'll contribute witty posts to this forum after I rob you of all your advice.

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:16 pm

BillPackets wrote:
unodostres wrote:It's hard to think that I could mark four wrong in one psg

Seems like were dumb

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Good scores, y'all! I'm drilling flaws & LG in the park on this gorgeous Bay Area day. Btw I've just realized that seeing a dog wearing one of those handkerchief bandana thingies makes me so irrationally happy :-D

chimera

Postby chimera » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:25 pm

lexsi340 wrote:Checkin' in after lurking for the past few months and basking in the awe of all of your high scores. Now that I'm down to the final weeks... can I snag some advice on what my game plan should look like?

I've been prepping via a great class for the standard 10 weeks. Started ~155, and now consistently hitting a ~165 and an occasional 167-169 if I happen to not bomb RC.

My split looks like -9 LR (total), -3/-5 LG, and -5/-10 RC (although there was once the beautiful -2 RC). Of course, a 170 would be incredible, but I would be satisfied with hitting a 168.

Any advice on how to spend the next 2 weeks? I've been drilling LG, LR (no real improvement here, even at my diagnostic I was missing 5 per section), and RC and a few full sections thrown in a week in addition to supplementary chapters from LRB and LSAT Trainer. Now that I'm down to the final few weeks, should I be focusing on full-length tests, reviewing incorrect answers, trying new strategies, or just keep up with constant drilling? I've been putting in long hours in the library, but nothing seems to be pushing my overall score up.

Anything in particular that pushed you guys from the mediocre 165? I swear I'll contribute witty posts to this forum after I rob you of all your advice.

My advice is pretty generic, but I would focus on full-length tests with heavy review and merciless drilling of LG. I'd also look around either online or in your study materials for RC help. *edit also, I made a post last page about some stuff that has helped me get past 165

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 pm

chimera wrote:
lexsi340 wrote:My split looks like -9 LR (total), -3/-5 LG, and -5/-10 RC (although there was once the beautiful -2 RC). Of course, a 170 would be incredible, but I would be satisfied with hitting a 168.

My advice is pretty generic, but I would focus on full-length tests with heavy review and merciless drilling of LG. I'd also look around either online or in your study materials for RC help.

I second this advice. I think you can definitely pick up a few more CRs with LG drilling. Exposure to RC passages and questions from PT58 or so+ would also be a good idea, since I think the qs have gotten a little fussier than in older PTs. I'm still struggling with LR myself and hoping to use these next 2 weeks to lock down LG and figure out how to deal better w fatigue and timing. We can do this!

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Focus on games if not bombing means you're high 160.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:11 pm

lexsi340 wrote:Checkin' in after lurking for the past few months and basking in the awe of all of your high scores. Now that I'm down to the final weeks... can I snag some advice on what my game plan should look like?

U should drill lg 24/7 cuz there is no reason to not be near perfect on that if u do that there's another potential 5 right answers will push u up quite a bit LR at minus 9 is ok so long as u can compensate w RC n lg but w ur RC at -5/-10 it might b more beneficial to try n widdle down that LR what kinda LR Qs r u MISSIN the most

Edit autocorrect did the all caps sry

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:13 pm

2 weks bechs

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Baseball where u been how's the mono r u ok

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:26 pm

At a wedding currently on TLS n LSN i mainly want to get an LSAT score I want so I can move onto new aspects of lawlz besides this

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:27 pm

BillPackets wrote:Baseball where u been how's the mono r u ok

Cant speak but i mean the bechs around me cant either if ya catch meh drift

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:37 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:Good scores, y'all! I'm drilling flaws & LG in the park on this gorgeous Bay Area day. Btw I've just realized that seeing a dog wearing one of those handkerchief bandana thingies makes me so irrationally happy :-D

I know where u live now

AOT

Postby AOT » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Just took PT 72!

Pretty pleased with it, but still made about 4pts of silly mistakes (misreading Q, totally forgetting about a rule). At this point I think my main issue is just nerves. I'm really scared I'm going to panic in the exam as soon as I turn to LG. I also tend to miss questions at the beginning of the test because I feel so shaky.

What can I do about this? Exercise?

Edit: just looking at the RC hate on the last page. RC is getting harder I think (apart from PT 71 is a weird anomaly)

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:47 pm

schmelling wrote:So I am looking for difficult RC material to drill, but cambridge doesn't offer a bundle of difficult recent LSAT RC passages. The questions on recent RC are much harder than old ones so I don't think it would be very valuable to buy the 1-38 difficult passages. Anyone know where I can get a resource like the one I'm looking for?

Have u taken all the tests

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Post removed.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:51 pm

schmelling wrote:No, I have 5 left that I plan on taking in their entirety. I wanted some outside material to drill.

I'm sorry schmelling I'm confused n askin a bunch of Qs but r u lookin for difficult RC passages from newer tests to drill or sumthin outside the LSAT entirely

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Post removed.

AOT

Postby AOT » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:55 pm

schmelling wrote:So I am looking for difficult RC material to drill, but cambridge doesn't offer a bundle of difficult recent LSAT RC passages. The questions on recent RC are much harder than old ones so I don't think it would be very valuable to buy the 1-38 difficult passages. Anyone know where I can get a resource like the one I'm looking for?

It might be worth just redoing the hardest RC passages from the last 10 PT's, according to how you scored on them as long as you don't remember exact answers to questions. Even if you do remember, just putting yourself through the process of finding the right answer is probably useful brain training.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

schmelling wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
schmelling wrote:No, I have 5 left that I plan on taking in their entirety. I wanted some outside material to drill.

I'm sorry schmelling I'm confused n askin a bunch of Qs but r u lookin for difficult RC passages from newer tests to drill or sumthin outside the LSAT entirely

Difficult RC passages, preferably from recent exams since the questions are so different.

Idk if u've done 70 but there was 1 passage I think it was the comparative that literally had three of the exact same Qs (according to the passage, which of the following is true?) now obvs MSS n inference Qs r common but these were pretty tough I mean no answer seemed wrong n they basically just combined various things from the passage for wrong answers

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

alloverthat wrote:

It might be worth just redoing the hardest RC passages from the last 10 PT's, according to how you scored on them as long as you don't remember exact answers to questions. Even if you do remember, just putting yourself through the process of finding the right answer is probably useful brain training.

I second AOT

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:08 pm

schmelling wrote:I'm thinking of just buying individual RC sections from around PT 55-67 and doing one a day until the test. I've done most if not all of them, but it should still help.

Do u have all the PTs

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:18 pm

schmelling wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
schmelling wrote:I'm thinking of just buying individual RC sections from around PT 55-67 and doing one a day until the test. I've done most if not all of them, but it should still help.

Do u have all the PTs

They're marked up. I have the booklets from testmasters and if I try to erase it i'll just end up erasing the ink off the page. I found 5 RC sections since 2007 that aren't included in our PT's list, I've probably done them in some HW or another, but I won't know them very well, so I'm gonna pull the trigger on this purchase and painstakingly go over everything in these sections. over the next couple days.

Wait u had hard copies n dhdnt scan them

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”