The Official September 2014 Study Group

Hand

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote:I also think that having an LSAT-specific outlet, where you can come to chit-chat and shoot the shit and ask questions pertaining to the test or just have a laugh, and know you are in the company of people who are experiencing a lot of the same worry and anxiety as you are - is really important for everyone.

This, basically. All that's missing from this post is an animated gif.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:05 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:Have you juiced before, sasha?

Yeah, I used to have at least 1 a day just because I like it, but I've never done a full juice cleanse.

sfoglia wrote:There are actually a few videos on-line that I use sometimes; they're really good. Not strenuous at all, just vinyasa.

I will check it out thanks.

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Is the stress LSAT related? I feel like leaving a job should decrease stress. Between work, LSAT, and everything else I get stressed to

Its life related. I am working on self improvement everyday and most of the people on TLS and ITT help me. You all are awesome :wink:
Last edited by sashafierce on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:10 pm

sfoglia wrote: I'm trying to add tea into my routine before the yoga, too. Anything I can to signal to my mind that it's time for it to relax and ready itself for sleep.

I love tea. I drink tea everyday white tea, black tea, green tea, peppermint tea, chia tea you name it..I drink it. Tea helps me calm the f#&k down. No matter where I am, a cup of tea helps me relax and de-stress. No milk or sugar just hot water and a tea bag.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Keep your head up you are awesome too
Last edited by Colonel_funkadunk on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I <3 yoga for destressing, see if you can find a local group that does acrobatic yoga, or acroyoga or just acro for short (FB is a great place to look). It is way more fun and relaxing than traditional yoga, IMO.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:44 pm

sashafierce wrote:

Yeah, I used to have at least 1 a day just because I like it, but I've never done a full juice cleanse.

sfoglia wrote:There are actually a few videos on-line that I use sometimes; they're really good. Not strenuous at all, just vinyasa.

I will check it out thanks.

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Is the stress LSAT related? I feel like leaving a job should decrease stress. Between work, LSAT, and everything else I get stressed to

Its life related. I am working on self improvement everyday and most of the people on TLS and ITT help me. You all are awesome :wink:

Do consider getting back into running in addition to whatever else you're doing; it's clinically proven to help reduce them good chemicals and reduce the bad ones in your brain and thus help reduce anxiety/stress/depression.

On an LSAT related note: are the games in PTs 40-45 really easy, or is it just me?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:49 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
On an LSAT related note: are the games in PTs 40-45 really easy, or is it just me?

I thought they were.

I missed 2 on the one about airplane connections. I think I went -0 on the rest

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:

I thought they were.

I managed to miss 2 on the food trucks because stupid, but otherwise -0 with like 8-10 mins to spare per section, and while I like to think I'm good, I don't think I'm that good

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:02 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:

I thought they were.

I managed to miss 2 on the food trucks because stupid, but otherwise -0 with like 8-10 mins to spare per section, and while I like to think I'm good, I don't think I'm that good

Haha right. Imagine how I feel, those were my first sections (bought cambridhe so 1-39 were drilling packets) and I'm like ok I got this- only to come to the -4 clusterfuck that was pt57 games

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:

I thought they were.

Haha right. Imagine how I feel, those were my first sections (bought cambridhe so 1-39 were drilling packets) and I'm like ok I got this- only to come to the -4 clusterfuck that was pt57 games

Shit is just mean.

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:08 pm

hereisonehand wrote:On an LSAT related note: are the games in PTs 40-45 really easy, or is it just me?

Agreed. With the exception of the Airplane game, these were the first LG sections I was able to finish in time with -0.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:13 pm

I've never taken any PTs in the 40s...worth it at all, you think? I mean unless I just quit my job tomorrow to take PTs all the time I probably won't be able to anyway. Sorry for missing the emotional moments, btw. I was taking a nap.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 pm

smccgrey wrote:I've never taken any PTs in the 40s...worth it at all, you think? I mean unless I just quit my job tomorrow to take PTs all the time I probably won't be able to anyway. Sorry for missing the emotional moments, btw. I was taking a nap.

Lol @ u even needing to take another pt before 9/27

Eta: yea sometimes we get deep here holy grey we coulda used your counseling

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:17 pm

smccgrey wrote:I've never taken any PTs in the 40s...worth it at all, you think? I mean unless I just quit my job tomorrow to take PTs all the time I probably won't be able to anyway. Sorry for missing the emotional moments, btw. I was taking a nap.

Don't bother if you have enough material to help you stay in the zone till test day. I'm just doing games every day to keep it fresh; I hadn't gotten to these before my first attempt either. Plus you may want to save some stuff if Sept doesn't go as planned

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:19 pm

hereisonehand wrote:

Don't bother if you have enough material to help you stay in the zone till test day. I'm just doing games every day to keep it fresh; I hadn't gotten to these before my first attempt either. Plus you may want to save some stuff if Sept doesn't go as planned

Yea I will say seeing every game before sitting for the test could b useful but I don't think it's nexessary

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Outed as probably being too yoga way too much:

True bikram sucks I did those classes for a month and the room is 106 degrees and you hate your life and wanna pass out. Does feel cool when you're done tho.

I prefer "heated classes" at local gyms n stuff. They aren't true bikram (exact same 18 poses at 106 degrees) but they are just warmer than your normal class. They are def warm, but it really helps w flexibility. Plus I sweat a lot in general when working out, over exerting myself, but girls in the class never seem to be sweating an uncomfortable amount. I don't think uncomfortably hot is how id put it

Ahhh, I see. I need to look into this. I feel like it would be especially nice in the winter here.

Definitely not going to be my "relax" activity, though. The other day it was a bit warm in my bedroom and I ragequit right in the middle of a yoga session when I felt myself sweating. Classic.

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Haha right. Imagine how I feel, those were my first sections (bought cambridhe so 1-39 were drilling packets) and I'm like ok I got this- only to come to the -4 clusterfuck that was pt57 games

When I began reading the PT57 G3 setup:
http://rs1img.memecdn.com/classic-jurassic-park_o_838976.webp

Color me mauve:
https://browntails.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/toy-story-3-rex-wallpaper.jpg

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:27 pm

I had recently been to a crap toy store and immediately pictured this sort of toy monstrosity:

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:34 pm

sfoglia wrote:I ragequit right in the middle of a yoga session when I felt myself sweating. Classic.

Ragequitting yoga is 180

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 pm

sashafierce wrote:

I love juice cleanses! I use them sometimes to reset myself -- especially after I go on a run of bad eating and I fall into a habit of eating/drinking mindlessly. I definitely believe that our bodies can adequately "detoxify" themselves, but juice cleanses force me to look beyond the instant gratification of (usually unhealthy) food. Eventually, after the initial pains and cravings, it can be really peaceful. I dunno.. I grew up Catholic, so this psychology of denial and reward is very familiar and intuitive for me :-)

You lose a lot of water, so make sure you have access to a bathroom! Also, if you feel faint at all during the day, I would recommend taking a few sips of the cashew drink (which is usually the last of the bunch). Day 1 is tough, but Day 2 is much, much easier. What's great is that on Day 3, you'll probably be craving brown rice and greens. Good luck!!

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:42 pm

I just looked over the scores on my last 10 PT's, and I've missed an average of 4.1 LG questions per test, and still am regularly hitting scores in the 170's. I've still never managed to go -0 on a timed games section. I see that most 170+ scorers have "mastered" games to the point where they miss one or none on most tests and finish with time to spare.

With just over two weeks left, I feel this is a pretty major deficiency in my test-taking and I might still be able to realistically bump up my score average by a couple points.

So my questions is, for games "experts," how did you get to that level? Would there be much for me to gain by just drilling the 1-38 Cambridge package, or are those too different from the modern games? Other suggestions?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:45 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:I just looked over the scores on my last 10 PT's, and I've missed an average of 4.1 LG questions per test, and still am regularly hitting scores in the 170's. I've still never managed to go -0 on a timed games section. I see that most 170+ scorers have "mastered" games to the point where they miss one or none on most tests and finish with time to spare.

With just over two weeks left, I feel this is a pretty major deficiency in my test-taking and I might still be able to realistically bump up my score average by a couple points.

So my questions is, for games "experts," how did you get to that level? Would there be much for me to gain by just drilling the 1-38 Cambridge package, or are those too different from the modern games? Other suggestions?

Games are games, unless we are talking about the misc packet which aren't the most relevant. But a linear from pt 3 will help you or a in out game from pt 8, bc the idea and way of finding inferences is basically the same

Eta: I'm not calling myself an expert, just my opinion and I've tend to do pretty well on every game section

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:49 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:I just looked over the scores on my last 10 PT's, and I've missed an average of 4.1 LG questions per test, and still am regularly hitting scores in the 170's. I've still never managed to go -0 on a timed games section. I see that most 170+ scorers have "mastered" games to the point where they miss one or none on most tests and finish with time to spare.

Yeah just drilling games by type helped me a ton. Although I've made a few more stupid mistakes on recent PTs, going -1 or -2 a couple of times. Plus I shit the bed and went -5 on PT 63 for no apparent reason. Because the universe just doesn't want me to 180 a PT, I think.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 pm

smccgrey wrote:

Yeah just drilling games by type helped me a ton. Although I've made a few more stupid mistakes on recent PTs, going -1 or -2 a couple of times. Plus I shit the bed and went -5 on PT 63 for no apparent reason. Because the universe just doesn't want me to 180 a PT, I think.

Don't worry, I feel that especially getting closer to test date for me and most of my friends I know who kept PTing there was wide fluctuation. My last two PTs were 153 and 180.

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:25 pm

smccgrey wrote:Yeah just drilling games by type helped me a ton. Although I've made a few more stupid mistakes on recent PTs, going -1 or -2 a couple of times. Plus I shit the bed and went -5 on PT 63 for no apparent reason. Because the universe just doesn't want me to 180 a PT, I think.

I'd be pretty OK with that as long as the universe was saving my 180 for test day.

PT 63 is tomorrow. Went -4 on PT 62 today and I thought that one was pretty hard. Damn...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”