Learn_Live_Hope wrote:This thread :shock:

Sup LLH how's my BFF doin 2day

edit LLH sup y u hatin on ya boy

It must be just that!

I'll toss u my email n u can send all the questions that get lost n the thread

hetookmetoamovie

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:37 pm

flash21 wrote:ugh. Studying with a cold feels like I regressed months in progress. Hope its just my inability to focus.

Anyway, I've got a legit LSAT Q, guys so, *************please respond ****************

pt 14, s4, Q9 - since anyone who supports

After the conclusion, it is E (elected)-----> Understand economics , BUT I also have another arrow stemming off from this from the previous premises, which is STP ~. So from what I understand from Manhattan, I've gotta connect the stp ~ to the "understand economics".

Is this a correct interpretation?

This type of question doesn't even look like English to me, I've read it over a bunch of times but it never made sense to me.

Hi Flash!
I hope you're feeling better. So this is what I have for the question:

Premises:
Elected --> ~STP
Understands Econ --> ~STP

Conclusion:
Elected --> Understands Econ

Having a chance to be elected and understanding economics are sufficient conditions for ~STP, but there is no logical relationship between them.

So your interpretation is right. IF ~STP --> Understands Econ, then the conclusion would be valid. But since that's not established, it's not. So that's the flaw that's pointed out in D.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:Now, you should have some respect for your BFF, and your potential classmates, and either continue this partying of yours in the lounge or stop all together so we can study.

smccgrey wrote:We post nonsense all the time

LLH has a point guys...sorry to say that because you all are soooo funny :oops: but this thread is 90% Bullshit 10% good advice from top scorers.

I am not sure that the 10% good outweighs the 90% bullshit but it is fun to come here sometimes for the lols not so much for study motivation

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:40 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
flash21 wrote:ugh. Studying with a cold feels like I regressed months in progress. Hope its just my inability to focus.

Anyway, I've got a legit LSAT Q, guys so, *************please respond ****************

After the conclusion, it is E (elected)-----> Understand economics , BUT I also have another arrow stemming off from this from the previous premises, which is STP ~. So from what I understand from Manhattan, I've gotta connect the stp ~ to the "understand economics".

This type of question doesn't even look like English to me, I've read it over a bunch of times but it never made sense to me.

Hi Flash!

Premises:
Elected --> ~STP

Conclusion:

Having a chance to be elected and understanding economics are sufficient conditions for ~STP, but there is no logical relationship between them.

So your interpretation is right. IF ~STP --> Understands Econ, then the conclusion would be valid. But since that's not established, it's not. So that's the flaw that's pointed out in D.

Is that one in the flaw packet

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:42 pm

sashafierce wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:Now, you should have some respect for your BFF, and your potential classmates, and either continue this partying of yours in the lounge or stop all together so we can study.

smccgrey wrote:We post nonsense all the time

LLH has a point guys...sorry to say that because you all are soooo funny :oops: but this thread is 90% Bullshit 10% good advice from top scorers.

I am not sure that the 10% good outweighs the 90% bullshit but it is fun to come here sometimes for the lols not so much for study motivation

I feel where you are coming from but when ppl have legit questions they get answered. They don't get buried as ppl say bc ppl choose not to post them. Since we aren't k-jders we aren't studying 24/7 bc of work, but the questikns get answered. And then on the weekends we usually have 2-3 days straight on topic when everyone is PT'ing

TL;DR: when ppl ask questions they're answered, but ppl freely choose not to ask

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:

Hi Flash!

Premises:
Elected --> ~STP

Conclusion:

Is that one in the flaw packet

Yep! But I feel like I've seen it around in different forms before, in the Trainer and in MLSAT LR.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:45 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:

Hi Flash!

Premises:
Elected --> ~STP

Conclusion:

Alright. I think I've seen this type of question a few times, not necessarily flaw question though. I think it was some type of assumption question, where one sufficient condition had two necessary conditions that needed to be linked somehow. Seem familiar to any other types of questions to you?

Appreciate the help.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:52 pm

I thought you were saying that the correct answer was E and I was so puzzled.

I don't typically use formal logic for these kinds of questions, and I haven't looked at Manhattan's response, so I'm going to explain in my own words.

Stimulus says that anyone who supports the tax plan will not be elected. Those who understand economics will not support the plan. So, only someone who understands economics will be elected.

Errr, no. Where do we get the "only" from? There are likely some who don't understand economics at all (like me), but who still don't support the plan for some other reason (say that my dad understand economics and told me I shouldn't support it). So, I don't need to understand economics to not support the plan. And, if I don't support the plan, I can still run.

Understanding economics guarantees I don't support the plan (sufficient), but it is not essential (necessary) for me to not support it.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:02 pm

flash21 wrote:
Alright. I think I've seen this type of question a few times, not necessarily flaw question though. I think it was some type of assumption question, where one sufficient condition had two necessary conditions that needed to be linked somehow. Seem familiar to any other types of questions to you?

Appreciate the help.

TOTALLY. Yeah, I hate having to process all of these jumbled clauses into sense; it's like trying to make sense of Sarah Palin or something.

BillPackets had a suggestion for an exercise somewhere ITT, where you take any one of the Assumption Family Questions and just look at the stimulus, imagining what the answer choices would be if they were different types of questions, noticing how wrong answer choices for one type of question are the right answer choices for others. I found it to be really enlightening and helpful -- like getting to know the enemy better.

So like, in that question, if you assumed the reasoning was sound, LSAC could ask you to identify the Necessary Assumption.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
TOTALLY. Yeah, I hate having to process all of these jumbled clauses into sense; it's like trying to make sense of Sarah Palin or something.

BillPackets had a suggestion for an exercise somewhere ITT, where you take any one of the Assumption Family Questions and just look at the stimulus, imagining what the answer choices would be if they were different types of questions, noticing how wrong answer choices for one type of question are the right answer choices for others. I found it to be really enlightening and helpful -- like getting to know the enemy better.

So like, in that question, if you assumed the reasoning was sound, LSAC could ask you to identify the Necessary Assumption

It is really helpful IMHO to take any flaw Q and write out answers for any flaw Q type that could b asked for that Q so u identify the flaw, write weakeners, strengtheners, NA, SA...depending on the flaw I even think it's helpful to write out multiple possible answers that match the flaw for things like weaken n strengthen bc LSAC uses specific methods to weaken or strengthen arguments that they repeat over n over again

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:I feel where you are coming from but when ppl have legit questions they get answered. They don't get buried as ppl say bc ppl choose not to post them. Since we aren't k-jders we aren't studying 24/7 bc of work, but the questikns get answered. And then on the weekends we usually have 2-3 days straight on topic when everyone is PT'ing

TL;DR: when ppl ask questions they're answered, but ppl freely choose not to ask

Yeah, like, look, the way I see it is that you can't be OMGLSAT 24/7. We talk about the LSAT a TON in here. We may not be talking about specific questions so much, but we do talk about how we feel about our studying, what we're planning on reviewing next, best tactics in review. I mean, in the past three days we have discussed, off the top of my head:

1. The general difficulty of reading comprehension over time, specifically whether it becomes more difficult from PT 55+
2. Our methods for selecting between two LR answer choices when both look to be really strong
3. Difficult LG we've encountered lately and how we're planning to polish off both our timing and understanding
4. If it would be advantageous to use melatonin to get better sleep for these next few weeks
5. The effects of diet and exercise on our cognitive abilities
6. Lack of motivation in studying
7. The potential for electro-shock to enhance performance
8. How to proceed after scoring poorly on a PT, when your average has been much stronger
9. The possibility of postponing the test until December
10. Test day rules, what we can and cannot bring, and how to find out where exactly your testing will occur

I'm sure there is a lot more, but, I think people see what they choose to see. The most active of us are employed full-time and spend most our free time at work whiling away the hours on here until we can get home to study - I don't think any of us are "partying" right now with seventeen days until the test. I also think that having an LSAT-specific outlet, where you can come to chit-chat and shoot the shit and ask questions pertaining to the test or just have a laugh, and know you are in the company of people who are experiencing a lot of the same worry and anxiety as you are - is really important for everyone.

I don't know, I might be the only one who feels this way and I'm sure I'm at least a particularly extreme example, but, I've mentioned my doctor told me that I needed to alleviate anxiety. I've been scoring a lot higher and feeling a lot calmer since I started spending more time in this thread. You can argue correlation-causation, but if you did, we'd be talking about some LSAT stuff again...
Last edited by sfoglia on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:15 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:I feel where you are coming from but when ppl have legit questions they get answered. They don't get buried as ppl say bc ppl choose not to post them. Since we aren't k-jders we aren't studying 24/7 bc of work, but the questikns get answered. And then on the weekends we usually have 2-3 days straight on topic when everyone is PT'ing

Yeah, like, look, the way I see it is that you can't be OMGLSAT 24/7. We talk about the LSAT a TON in here. We may not be talking about specific questions so much, but we do talk about how we feel about our studying, what we're planning on reviewing next, best tactics in review. I mean, in the past three days we have discussed, off the top of my head:

1. The general difficulty of reading comprehension over time, specifically whether it becomes more difficult from PT 55+
2. Our methods for selecting between two LR answer choices when both look to be really strong
3. Difficult LG we've encountered lately and how we're planning to polish off both our timing and understanding
4. If it would be advantageous to use melatonin to get better sleep for these next few weeks
8. How to proceed after scoring poorly on a PT, when your average has been much stronger
10. Test day rules, what we can and cannot bring, and how to find out where exactly your testing will occur

I'm sure there is a lot more, but, I think people see what they choose to see. The most active of us are employed full-time and spend most our free time at work whiling away the hours on here until we can get home to study - I don't think any of us are "partying" right now with seventeen days until the test. I also think that having an LSAT-specific outlet, where you can come to chit-chat and shoot the shit and ask questions pertaining to the test or just have a laugh, and know you are in the company of people who are experiencing a lot of the same worry and anxiety as you are - is really important for everyone.

But, I've been scoring a lot higher and feeling a lot calmer since I started spending more time in this thread. You can argue correlation-causation, but if you did, we'd be talking about .
Last edited by BillPackets on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Sfoglia, Is yoga working for you? I need some type of release. I used to go for runs/jogs but where I live now is not very conducive to that type of activity BUT I need some thing to help me chill out.

I'm really interested in yoga and I have tried it a few times (online), I think its hard as f@#K all those odds positions :roll: (I did feel great after though)
Last edited by sashafierce on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:20 pm

sfoglia wrote:

I'm sure there is a lot more, but, I think people see what they choose to see. The most active of us are employed full-time and spend most our free time at work whiling away the hours on here until we can get home to study - I don't think any of us are "partying" right now with seventeen days until the test. I also think that having an LSAT-specific outlet, where you can come to chit-chat and shoot the shit and ask questions pertaining to the test or just have a laugh

180. (Ie a tool quoting and sYing 180)
Last edited by Colonel_funkadunk on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:24 pm

sashafierce wrote:Sfoglia, Is yoga working for you? I need some type of release. I used to go for runs/jogs but where I live now is not very conducive to that type of activity BUT I need some thing to help me chill out.

I'm really interested in yoga and I have tried it a few times (online), I think its hard as f@#K all those odds positions :roll: (I did feel great after though)

I know this wasn't directed @ me but I'm gonna jump in. the times I've done yoga it's been great for anxiety and stuff. There is a lot of stuff about concentrating on breathing and focus in the moment, which can be really beneficial coupled with the positions. It's like athletic mediation (I'm not a meditator tho)

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:TL;DR: when ppl ask questions they're answered, but ppl freely choose not to ask

sfoglia wrote:Yeah, like, look, the way I see it is that you can't be OMGLSAT 24/7. We talk about the LSAT a TON in here. We may not be talking about specific questions so much, but we do talk about how we feel about our studying, what we're planning on reviewing next, best tactics in review.

I understand what you all are saying and I am not against the vibe ITT but I feel that its a bit extra sometimes especially this close to the exam (which I am not sitting...lol). Sometimes I come on here and I'm like wtf are they talking about this time.

Its irrelevant at this point anyway, we are already like 250+ pages in so the culture ITT is what it is. Its different it may work for some and it may not work for others. C'est la vie

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
sashafierce wrote:Sfoglia, Is yoga working for you? I need some type of release. I used to go for runs/jogs but where I live now is not very conducive to that type of activity BUT I need some thing to help me chill out.

I know this wasn't directed @ me but I'm gonna jump in. the times I've done yoga it's been great for anxiety and stuff. There is a lot of stuff about concentrating on breathing and focus in the moment, which can be really beneficial coupled with the positions. It's like athletic mediation (I'm not a meditator tho)

Thanks Colonel, I've been soooo stressed lately. I quit my job since May to study for the LSAT and its been a downhill battle since then. Spent the last three days in bed suffering from tension headaches. Its messed up because I know its because I'm stressed. Hopefully yoga and a clean diet will help, going on a juice cleanse for 48 hours from tomorrow. My response is TMI but I wanted to share that :oops:

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:39 pm

sfoglia wrote:I also think that having an LSAT-specific outlet, where you can come to chit-chat and shoot the shit and ask questions pertaining to the test or just have a laugh, and know you are in the company of people who are experiencing a lot of the same worry and anxiety as you are - is really important for everyone.

Wonderful post, sfogs. I know 0 people IRL who are taking this thing, so the feeling of community ITT has really helped me stay motivated and encouraged.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:41 pm

sashafierce wrote:Thanks Colonel, I've been soooo stressed lately. I quit my job since May to study for the LSAT and its been a downhill battle since then. Spent the last three days in bed suffering from tension headaches. Its messed up because I know its because I'm stressed. Hopefully yoga and a clean diet will help, going on a juice cleanse for 48 hours from tomorrow. My response is TMI but I wanted to share that :oops:

Have you juiced before, sasha?

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:45 pm

For stress? Yes!

I used to do yoga as a workout and that's definitely less helpful for alleviating anxiety. There are actually a few videos online that I use sometimes; they're really good. Not strenuous at all, just vinyasa.

I am a really high-strung, overachiever, type-A personality, and yoga actually helps my mind to quiet at the end of the day.

Oh, and light candles! It probably sounds silly, but it makes such a difference. Turn off all the lights except for a dim lamp, and light a candle or two with your favorite scent (I'm obsessed with those "midnight walk," "moonlight sky" ones). I'm trying to add tea into my routine before the yoga, too. Anything I can to signal to my mind that it's time for it to relax and ready itself for sleep.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:45 pm

sashafierce wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Thanks Colonel, I've been soooo stressed lately. I quit my job since May to study for the LSAT and its been a downhill battle since then. Spent the last three days in bed suffering from tension headaches. Its messed up because I know its because I'm stressed. Hopefully yoga and a clean diet will help, going on a juice cleanse for 48 hours from tomorrow. My response is TMI but I wanted to share that :oops:

Good luck w the cleanse, I've never done one but it may work for some.

Is the stress LSAT related? I feel like leaving a job should decrease stress. Between work, LSAT, and everything else I get stressed to. I've even seen a counselor and stuff for anxiety probably like 6-8 months ago and that wasn't that helpful honestly. Exercise has always been the best stress reliever IMHO that was probably a tmi open book response too

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:47 pm

sfoglia wrote:

Oh, and light candles! It probably sounds silly, but it makes such a difference. Turn off all the lights except for a dim lamp, and light a candle or two with your favorite scent (I'm obsessed with those "midnight walk," "moonlight sky" ones). I'm trying to add tea into my routine before the yoga, too. Anything I can to signal to my mind that it's time for it to relax and ready itself for sleep.

One of the hot classes I went to was heated/lit w just a fireplace in the front of the room. It was a really cool vibe

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:that was probably a tmi open book response too

It's getting pretty real in here right now. Community.

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:One of the hot classes I went to was heated/lit w just a fireplace in the front of the room. It was a really cool vibe

That actually sounds nice. I've never been interested in Bikram yoga because I just imagine everyone is sweating allover themselves and sliding off their mats and stuff. Was it uncomfortably hot at all?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:57 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:that was probably a tmi open book response too

It's getting pretty real in here right now. Community.

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:One of the hot classes I went to was heated/lit w just a fireplace in the front of the room. It was a really cool vibe

That actually sounds nice. I've never been interested in Bikram yoga because I just imagine everyone is sweating allover themselves and sliding off their mats and stuff. Was it uncomfortably hot at all?

Outed as probably being too yoga way too much:

True bikram sucks I did those classes for a month and the room is 106 degrees and you hate your life and wanna pass out. Does feel cool when you're done tho.

I prefer "heated classes" at local gyms n stuff. They aren't true bikram (exact same 18 poses at 106 degrees) but they are just warmer than your normal class. They are def warm, but it really helps w flexibility. Plus I sweat a lot in general when working out, over exerting myself, but girls in the class never seem to be sweating an uncomfortable amount. I don't think uncomfortably hot is how id put it

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”