The Official September 2014 Study Group

Learn_Live_Hope

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:17 pm

GreenTee wrote:Thanks LLH! :mrgreen:

You are welcome.

What is your plan for the next three weeks?

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:19 pm

msp8 wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
Tangents are fun! (I just don't want to study)

Hmm, the thing about studying makes a lot of sense, but I feel that if you're studying for 10 hours straight and still cant understand the topic, you would realize that you're going about it the wrong way. For me if I do a set of 10 problems, and I get more than 2 wrong, I'll go over the core concepts for those problems, AND go over my mistakes in depth, before I even start again.

Sure. And you're also on TLS. And relatively active here, judging by your post count. You don't fall into the category of student that: a) goes into the LSAT blind; b) goes into the LSAT having taken a prep course from a poor company, thinking you'll be fine.

The majority of students do (a) or (b). So you're guilty of representing the whole (students studying for LSATs) with a part (you). ;)

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of intelligence that leads people to do (a) or (b). It's a number of issues: lack of exposure to intelligent study techniques; lack of ambition or drive or understanding what ambition/drive really are; liking the idea of going to law school and being a lawyer and glorifying that life more than actually wanting it (and thus putting in the time to study, because that becomes their purpose, without it being what they really want -- someone that I was studying with, up until a few days ago, was incredibly frustrating for me to study with because law school was their purpose; they studied constantly, yet they put no thought into their study strategy and relied on me to lay it all out for them. Another friend of ours explained to me that this person didn't really want to go to law school. And, sure enough, a few days ago the studying friend had an epiphany and out went the law school plan).

Could be any number of things that lead people down to poor study technique. All to say, I think a 170 is attainable for anyone, with the caveat that they must have exposure to the aforementioned issues on studying. (and with that, I think I should head to study and be done with my pseudo intellectual psychoanalysis!)

You've convinced me, but dam if that isn't one big ass caveat =P.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:20 pm

GreenTee wrote:Hey guys! I took PT68 this morning my testing center. I didn't get a great night's sleep, and I felt really fatigued and weird during my morning run. I've been very anxious this whole week, I'm not sure why. I guess it has something to do with that incredibly significant event-which-shall-not-be-named happening at the end of this month. Anyway, I'm shocked that I managed this:

LR Exp: -0
RC: -2
LR: -0
LR: -4
LG: -4
Scaled: 172

First of all, that -2 RC ties my best score ever for that section, so I'm thrilled about that. I felt really off during both LR sections, so the first scored -0 seems like mostly luck. (I circled two, and ran out of time on one of them.)
After the break, when I hit that -4 LR section, I was really off my game. Midway through, I just couldn't focus at all. I got 21-23 wrong in a row, and I'm not at all surprised. I was completely brain-dead.
LG should have been -2, at worst. But the fatigue carried over, and I was a bit slow, especially on that weird third game. Missed the last 2 because I ran out of time.

Anyway, here's the lesson of the day: Even if I feel weird and my brain feels gelatinous, I still might hit my target. So yay!

So happy for you, GT! It bodes well for test day. Just wondering, how long have you been practicing with 5-section tests? I'm still trying to cope with fatigue (even with a decent night's sleep).

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:21 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:OHHHH. I had such a hard time distinguishing the implications of A vs D in the argument, but you made it click! THANK YOU!!

No problem!!

and GT, way to crush pt 68!!

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Nice work, schmelling. Must feel good to be within your objective range even when making mistakes that you can correct!

And that's one area that I'm worried about: getting caught thinking about mistakes made on previous sections.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:32 pm

PT 56 (1st one taken at 8:30, on 4 hours of sleep. I'm a little pissy)
LG-0 (seemed REALLY easy)
LR-5 (seemed abnormally difficult)
LR-1
RC-3 (again, seemed really easy)

Very generous curve for this one. Got a 173. I was so damn tired, and during RC a couple of frat kids came in the library and wouldnt stfu during the 2nd passage, which I missed 2 on. Hardly comprehended a thing from that one.

mr.plum

Postby mr.plum » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi everyone! Didn't feel prepared enough in June so moved my test date to September. Hopefully everything goes smoothly in the next three weeks.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Post removed.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 pm

ed

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 pm

mr.plum wrote:Hi everyone! Didn't feel prepared enough in June so moved my test date to September. Hopefully everything goes smoothly in the next three weeks.

omg thot your avatar was me for a sec yall shouldve seen me this morning

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:47 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Look, I'm going to say this and it may make me sound like a huge bitch, but, not everyone can be a lawyer. Not everyone can be a doctor. Not everyone can be a professor. You don't have to be a genius to be either of the three, but whatever you lack in natural ability needs to be compensated for with dedication.

ETA: "Not everyone should" is probably a better way to phrase it.

I was bawling and inconsolable yesterday after PTing, but this realization put me back on the rails. I am earning every single point I put up on this exam.

Exactly. I try to remind myself of this as often as I possibly can. Because it's easy to feel helpless and defeatist and to sulk rather than to pick up another book, another packet, another PT. But, an acceptance to Harvard for 2019 will mean just as much as one for 2018. It isn't easy and it isn't convenient, but it definitely is worth the blood, sweat, tears, and time. Better to wait and enjoy the best then settle for whatever can be had now.

Rocky theme song.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Guys, all of these 170s! I really hope I follow suit! I'm so anxious about PTing this afternoon. I need to start soon, and I'm totally stressed about it.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:49 pm

sfoglia wrote:Rocky theme song.

:lol: Sfog, you're great.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Post removed.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Also, hope this may inspire some folks. But of the 410 "Most Difficult" LR questions, I was having a trend where I'd miss 1/3 or even 1/2. Got to around 350 where shit was getting real, and something clicked. I got 42/50 correct. Just started developing good habits. I started looking forward to the necc/suff questions cuz they're actually sorta gimmes.

What I'm trying to say is, even if you still feel like you're struggling hardcore today... sometimes it just clicks. Can't explain it. A light turns on or something. Don't fuckin give up fam. Just push through it. That 410 question packet was so frustrating. I actually ripped a page out of it and threw it at my friend sitting across the table from me at one point. But it got better. It just clicked. Just push through it

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:22 pm

PT 65 - 169

LR -0
LG -2
RC -11 :lol:
LR -2

It was kind of exciting to take a PT at the test center and I think that kinda helped me stay focused the whole time. The 2nd LR felt tougher than the first (some tricky answer choices) but I felt good about both. The fourth game was a beast compared to the first three but still very manageable if I hadn't wasted so much time right when I got to it.

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:23 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Also, hope this may inspire some folks. But of the 410 "Most Difficult" LR questions, I was having a trend where I'd miss 1/3 or even 1/2. Got to around 350 where shit was getting real, and something clicked. I got 42/50 correct. Just started developing good habits. I started looking forward to the necc/suff questions cuz they're actually sorta gimmes.

What I'm trying to say is, even if you still feel like you're struggling hardcore today... sometimes it just clicks. Can't explain it. A light turns on or something. Don't fuckin give up fam. Just push through it. That 410 question packet was so frustrating. I actually ripped a page out of it and threw it at my friend sitting across the table from me at one point. But it got better. It just clicked. Just push through it

Thats what I've heard. Im prepping for December and still struggling with the PTs. Thats what happened to my friend, he said all of a sudden, LG, LR questions all of a sudden just began to "click." I am waiting for that to happen (taking in Dec) :o .

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Lacoste wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Also, hope this may inspire some folks. But of the 410 "Most Difficult" LR questions, I was having a trend where I'd miss 1/3 or even 1/2. Got to around 350 where shit was getting real, and something clicked. I got 42/50 correct. Just started developing good habits. I started looking forward to the necc/suff questions cuz they're actually sorta gimmes.

Thats what I've heard. Im prepping for December and still struggling with the PTs. Thats what happened to my friend, he said all of a sudden, LG, LR questions all of a sudden just began to "click." I am waiting for that to happen (taking in Dec) :o .

Never really had a problem with LG, but LR for sure. It just happens. I've been goin at it for months now. I study for like 45-50 hours a week. It finally just happened earlier this week. RC is getting much better as well. Like, I can ALWAYS narrow it down to 1 or 2 with RC. If I get it wrong, its because I guessed for times sake and got tails.

Lacoste

Postby Lacoste » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:29 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
Lacoste wrote:

Never really had a problem with LG, but LR for sure. It just happens. I've been goin at it for months now. I study for like 45-50 hours a week. It finally just happened earlier this week. RC is getting much better as well. Like, I can ALWAYS narrow it down to 1 or 2 with RC. If I get it wrong, its because I guessed for times sake and got tails.

Your kidding me? What motivates you? Honestly lol I have a difficult time past 5 hours a day.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Post removed.

ghostofdreams

Postby ghostofdreams » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:35 pm

sashafierce wrote:Quick Question: How do you guys feel about having a study partner? Do you have one? Is the relationship beneficial?

two things that would have helped me more, I think, and that is a study partner; and the other thing is a class. Structure would have been beneficial, hence the class, and a study buddy would have been motivating.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:35 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
Lacoste wrote:Thats what I've heard. Im prepping for December and still struggling with the PTs. Thats what happened to my friend, he said all of a sudden, LG, LR questions all of a sudden just began to "click." I am waiting for that to happen (taking in Dec) :o .

This is helpful to know. Also prepping for Dec. I actually don't have problems with anything other than timing right now. I feel comfortable that, untimed, I can work through anything. But I only get through 18-20 questions on LR and RC. So I suppose I'm not as strong with the fundamentals as I think, given that it's taking me so much longer.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:48 pm

dasani13 wrote:PT 65 - 169

LR -0
LG -2
RC -11 :lol:
LR -2

It was kind of exciting to take a PT at the test center and I think that kinda helped me stay focused the whole time. The 2nd LR felt tougher than the first (some tricky answer choices) but I felt good about both. The fourth game was a beast compared to the first three but still very manageable if I hadn't wasted so much time right when I got to it.

Good Job! Took this test yesterday, can I have your LR and LG score please thanks. Also I know that you had a study partner, did that work out for you?

ghostofdreams

Postby ghostofdreams » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:06 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
mr.plum wrote:Hi everyone! Didn't feel prepared enough in June so moved my test date to September. Hopefully everything goes smoothly in the next three weeks.

omg thot your avatar was me for a sec yall shouldve seen me this morning

Last night, I went to bed but couldn't sleep. Failing to set the alarm clock, I woke up hella late. Waking up at 6 is my goal. I am worried about the night before the test--going to bed but being unable to sleep until hours later, like I did last night. :evil:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”