The Official September 2014 Study Group

Gray

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:00 pm

ErgoSum wrote:
sfoglia wrote: I do not have enough time.

This

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:09 pm

sashafierce wrote:
schmelling wrote:Option 1 every single time.

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:IMHO number 2 is a really bad idea.

That's the thing, I started keeping track of my LR errors by writing out exactly what I did on that question and the reason is usually because I do more of 2. and less of 1. Also I've found that when I realize that I am stuck and decide to skip the question and then come back to it I usually get it right the second time because I'm forced to re-read the stimulus.

Fucking bad habits :roll:

Just making small changes can help tremendously, the most important thing is that you aware of mistakes you're making

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:14 pm

schmelling wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
schmelling wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:When you guys are drilling, do you do them all timed, all at once, hold some off for later, do some at your own pace or any combination of that? I have around 100 each of question type from the LR section, and I'm not sure if I want to just devote a day for each and get through all of them, do some untimed and then do the rest timed, or mix up chunks of different question types daily for the next two weeks.

I have a bunch of Q's of different types too. I am doing all of the question type straight through, though not necessarily all in one day (some of them are over 250). My timing is okay so I am not sweating timing, just making sure to be methodical and work expeditiously. If timing is still an issue I might due half of them (every other one if theyre arranged by difficulty) while timing up with a stopwatch rather than giving myself limit. Then, do the other half while trying to cut that time down.

I time myself when doing LG and when doing whole sections, but I haven't been with drilling the Cambridge LR, packets. Trying to sort out my logical errors and stuff, so being very deliberate and writing down rationale for my answer choice and stuff. That said, I'm trying to get through as much material as I possibly can as quickly as I can. I did the 180+ question Strengthen packet between yesterday and today, the Weaken basically in one day, and I'm going to have to start re-reading the Trainer soon, so I am definitely feeling like I do not have enough time to get through everything I want/need to.

Off to do the "Miscellaneous" LGs packet now...

I believe in you sfoglia. You're working too hard for something not to click eventually.

Pahaha, thank you. I do not feel like I am working hard enough, but thank you. That's very sweet of you to say.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:16 pm

hillz wrote:Thanks, sfogs! I am going to work on paying more attention to connotation & the difference a single word can make. I'm planning on trying again tomorrow so if I get stuck, I'll post and see if you can help. I know I can do better! I think I've figured out how to read for structure but now I need to work on reading the answer choices more carefully. I've learned with LR that there's always a single answer and it's just about looking for the little things (sometimes blatant, though) that make an answer wrong. It seems like the same is true of RC sometimes, especially when it comes down to 2 seemingly right answers.

Of course! I have a feeling that you're going to do really well tomorrow! I swear that so much of this is just muscle memory.

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 pm

sfoglia wrote:
hillz wrote:Thanks, sfogs! I am going to work on paying more attention to connotation & the difference a single word can make. I'm planning on trying again tomorrow so if I get stuck, I'll post and see if you can help. I know I can do better! I think I've figured out how to read for structure but now I need to work on reading the answer choices more carefully. I've learned with LR that there's always a single answer and it's just about looking for the little things (sometimes blatant, though) that make an answer wrong. It seems like the same is true of RC sometimes, especially when it comes down to 2 seemingly right answers.

Of course! I have a feeling that you're going to do really well tomorrow! I swear that so much of this is just muscle memory.

I'm starting to feel the same way. You start to pick up patterns and recognise how the proper answer should look or be structured

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Do any of use use the Zen of 180 analyzer? Is it useful?

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:25 pm

sashafierce wrote:Do any of use use the Zen of 180 analyzer? Is it useful?

I do. Its okay I guess. Most importantly, its free. But it tells you exactly what you missed, what the distractor was, and what type of question it was

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Don't see why it would have anything less than a neutral impact. It's free and apparently An average of 3 PT's are all you need to have done to "benefit"

I signed up just to see what they have to say, but I doubt it will be anything more than "you got these question types incorrect more than these. You should practice more". Who knows though. I'll check it out

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:38 pm

What's this all about

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:48 pm

http://www.zenof180.com/user/1505/dashboard

Its a normal preptest analyzer but more in-depth, tells you what type of questions your missing, what were the "most attractive wrong answers" etc. Seems a bit too much for me but I am giving it a try.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:24 pm

sashafierce wrote:http://www.zenof180.com/user/1505/dashboard

Its a normal preptest analyzer but more in-depth, tells you what type of questions your missing, what were the "most attractive wrong answers" etc. Seems a bit too much for me but I am giving it a try.

This is really intense. Thank you for sharing! Hoping it provides some insight.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 pm

sfoglia wrote:

This is really intense. Thank you for sharing! Hoping it provides some insight.

It's just took me like 20 min to put in the scores for one test. But it seems helpful

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:38 pm

ooh sounds interesting! I'll give it a try after my PT tomorrow.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:51 pm

dasani13 wrote:

Which one are you doing?

boris09

Postby boris09 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:57 pm

Currently studying at Tim hortons and dealt with literally 25 grade 12 or first year university students playing the penis game at the top of their lungs for literally the past half hour. I cannot fathom the level of immaturity it takes to do such a thing in a public area with so many other people around. I've learned to be able to deal with almost any kind of distraction when I'm studying here, but my mind just couldn't handle the idea of what was transpiring

I challenge anyone who is up for it to tell me of a distraction they faced that's worse than the one I just experienced.

Also, I suppose the incredibly hot blonde girl with them didn't help alleviate my inability to concentrate either

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:04 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
dasani13 wrote:

Which one are you doing?

PT 65. I'm hoping it goes as well as 64 went after getting screwed by 62 and 63.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 am

boris09 wrote:Currently studying at Tim hortons and dealt with literally 25 grade 12 or first year university students playing the penis game at the top of their lungs for literally the past half hour. I cannot fathom the level of immaturity it takes to do such a thing in a public area with so many other people around. I've learned to be able to deal with almost any kind of distraction when I'm studying here, but my mind just couldn't handle the idea of what was transpiring

I challenge anyone who is up for it to tell me of a distraction they faced that's worse than the one I just experienced.

Also, I suppose the incredibly hot blonde girl with them didn't help alleviate my inability to concentrate either

What's this game

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:55 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boris09

Postby boris09 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:14 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
boris09 wrote:Currently studying at Tim hortons and dealt with literally 25 grade 12 or first year university students playing the penis game at the top of their lungs for literally the past half hour. I cannot fathom the level of immaturity it takes to do such a thing in a public area with so many other people around. I've learned to be able to deal with almost any kind of distraction when I'm studying here, but my mind just couldn't handle the idea of what was transpiring

What's this game

It's a wonderful game where people take turns saying the word 'penis' louder than the previous individual. The last person to say it wins. Essentially, the game is about who has the least dignity to yell out the word penis in a public environment where they will be seen as the scourge of the universe

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:42 am

I missed some stuff and I'm sad I occasionally have a social life viz a viz my fiancé

ghostofdreams

Postby ghostofdreams » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:00 am

I'll take a look into this. I was using lsatqa but always looking for something better.

Also, gaiz, I hope the testing center offers plenty of space between testers because I have a horrible habit: I talk to myself when I'm PTing, but in a whisper. It comes out hardcore on the LG's. I would hate for someone to sit next to me and then find out, hey, this person is crazy, "PROCTOR, this asshole is distracting me!" :oops:

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:15 am

I can't believe the test is 3 weeks out! Part of me wishes it was today, so I could start applying to schools! Then the other part of me wishes it was much further away as my high score is still a 169 and I want to be in the 170's come game day!

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:30 am

Dont ever fucking attempt to get up early for this fucking thing, especially when there was a party in your apartment the night before. This fucking sucks balls

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 am

ilikebaseball wrote:Dont ever fucking attempt to get up early for this fucking thing, especially when there was a party in your apartment the night before. This fucking sucks balls

No party here but kid up half the night n now I just want to sleep but up anyway

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 am

Quick Question: How do you guys feel about having a study partner? Do you have one? Is the relationship beneficial?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”