The Official September 2014 Study Group

BillPackets

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 pm

sashafierce wrote:Also..Bill, Colonel and smm PLEASE RESPOND :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm in the low 160s now last PT was PT35 yesterday breakdown -4 LG, -5 LR 2, -7 LR1 and -7RC. I am drilling RC and LR right now but I am thinking that since I have like all of the PTs from 1-71 maybe I should focus on a PT every other day then and drill the next day...So my schedule would be:

Day 1: PT in the AM-->Rest (watch Orange is the new black)--->Blind Review in the PM..
Day 2 Drill all of the question types that I got wrong....
Day 3 Repeat Day 1
Day 4 Repeat Day 2 etc etc etc

What do you guys think???

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:I don't waste time w diagramming or inferences. All the answers r right there in the rules just do it in your head

Everytime I try to do a LG question in my head I mess shit up...you are special...like seriously

GreenTee wrote:Definitely depends on the game. To master LG, I think you really have to develop a strong intuition about when to dig deep and search for inferences, and when you have to brute force.

Very true, I am working on Advanced Linear Games right now and I find them top be very inference driven

That's a pretty intense schedule but yeah I think it looks good just make sure you're picking up patterns on your misses or else you'll b burning n churning thru them

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:25 pm

smccgrey wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Hi, I bought this for you guys for our celebration of the birthday of our matron saint of the LSAT.

I'm going to rock some leather pants on LSAT test day. Bey-approved.

My reaction the first time I tried on skinny jeans

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:30 pm

sfoglia wrote:
I feel like I don't have enough time (I say while wasting it on TLS) to keep drilling what I've learned with LG and LR and RC and I know that I need to be doing questions constantly to perform well.

IDK, maybe I need to make some sort of schedule for myself where I do at least one section of LG and RC a day when I'm focusing on LR. But, I'm very weary of bouncing between sections like that.

From my experience when I focused solely on one area I underperformed on the others :(

I think at least a RC passage + 1 LG game a day is necessary to keep your skills sharp

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:33 pm

sashafierce wrote:LG related rant. After watching alot of the Odyssey LG explanations, I'm starting to realize that whenever I'm stuck on a question in LG (like stopped in my track, don't know what to do stuck) its usually because I missed a major inference upfront. SO I pause go over the rules and my diagram once more and BAM!!! there it is!!! that major inference that I totally missed the first time.

Its annoying but its so so important because it makes me feel like every question they ask is more or less based on an inference that you I should make upfront :roll:

I think every question they ask *is* testing to see if you made a specific inference, but you can eventually use that knowledge to your advantage. I used to take up too much time trying to squeeze out and elaborate all possible inferences, multiple gameboards, etc. during the initial setup, and it would eat up tons of time. I've cut down my time a lot by just writing down the rules (CAREFULLY), quickly seeing where there could be pressure points (where rules could link up, any conditions that would make rules incompatible), getting a general sense of the game by sketching out the game board, and then going straight to the questions. The first few will test explicit rules directly. Get those out of the way. The rest of the questions then start asking you to synthesize inferences. But, I find that doing that with the context of the question is easier (and less redundant) than doing it in the beginning (and then doing it again during the question).

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:41 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sashafierce wrote:LG related rant. After watching alot of the Odyssey LG explanations, I'm starting to realize that whenever I'm stuck on a question in LG (like stopped in my track, don't know what to do stuck) its usually because I missed a major inference upfront. SO I pause go over the rules and my diagram once more and BAM!!! there it is!!! that major inference that I totally missed the first time.

Its annoying but its so so important because it makes me feel like every question they ask is more or less based on an inference that you I should make upfront :roll:

I think every question they ask *is* testing to see if you made a specific inference, but you can eventually use that knowledge to your advantage. I used to take up too much time trying to squeeze out and elaborate all possible inferences, multiple gameboards, etc. during the initial setup, and it would eat up tons of time. I've cut down my time a lot by just writing down the rules (CAREFULLY), quickly seeing where there could be pressure points (where rules could link up, any conditions that would make rules incompatible), getting a general sense of the game by sketching out the game board, and then going straight to the questions. The first few will test explicit rules directly. Get those out of the way. The rest of the questions then start asking you to synthesize inferences. But, I find that doing that with the context of the question is easier (and less redundant) than doing it in the beginning (and then doing it again during the question).

I agree I mean all games are expecting us to make certain inferences but the games that are notoriously considered hardest are ones that have a make or break inference at the beginning that is easily missed or something. Is snakes/lizards n dinos bc really those games R'nt that hard just time consuming if u missed an inference

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:42 pm

sashafierce wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
I feel like I don't have enough time (I say while wasting it on TLS) to keep drilling what I've learned with LG and LR and RC and I know that I need to be doing questions constantly to perform well.

IDK, maybe I need to make some sort of schedule for myself where I do at least one section of LG and RC a day when I'm focusing on LR. But, I'm very weary of bouncing between sections like that.

From my experience when I focused solely on one area I underperformed on the others :(

I think at least a RC passage + 1 LG game a day is necessary to keep your skills sharp

I'm going to go do that now.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:46 pm

smccgrey wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Hi, I bought this for you guys for our celebration of the birthday of our matron saint of the LSAT.

I'm going to rock some leather pants on LSAT test day. Bey-approved.

sfoglia wrote:Wait, just thought: extra points for the leather pants because Buffy.

Omg, Ross, Buffy, bootcut leather pants. It's 1999 again!

On a fashion note, it appears that leather jogging pants are going to be a thing F/W 2014. Thanks, Kanye *reject*

sfogs - that leather pencil skirt would be hottt.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:47 pm

can we talk about the dinos game?

my setup was like a two slot / five spaces thing

Red Steg / Mauve____ /Mauve____/ ___ ___ / ___ ___

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:55 pm

smccgrey wrote:can we talk about the dinos game?

Another way is

In:
m _
M _
R s
_ _
_ _

Out:
_ v/u
_ _

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Another way is

In:
m _
M _
R s
_ _
_ _

Out:
_ v/u
_ _

Ohh that's what people mean when they say in/out.
I've literally never thought of actually writing down the out group.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:00 pm

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Another way is

In:
m _
M _
R s
_ _
_ _

Out:
_ v/u
_ _

Ohh that's what people mean when they say in/out.
I've literally never thought of actually writing down the out group.

It's particularly for v--->u type rules that show one or both have to be out. I think it just helps visualize the game

Edited to make the negation clearer

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:It's particularly for v--->-u type rules that show one or both have to be out. I think it just helps visualize the game

No it makes a ton of sense I just never considered doing it.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:08 pm

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:It's particularly for v--->-u type rules that show one or both have to be out. I think it just helps visualize the game

wtf grey how do u do in/out games

In|out
-------
|
|
|
|

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:11 pm

BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

wtf grey how do u do in/out games

In|out
-------
|
|
|
|

"Damn I thot I 180d but there was an in/out game. So I only 178d"

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:16 pm

lol I don't know I just do the IN.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:18 pm

She does it all in her head and just picks the right answer. It's easy, guys.

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Another way is

In:
m _
M _
R s
_ _
_ _

Out:
_ v/u
_ _

One more:

In:
M _
M _
R s
_ i/p I did not make this inference til the second to last question but it makes the questions a cakewalk
_ _

Out:
_ v/u
_ _

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:21 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:She does it all in her head and just picks the right answer. It's easy, guys.

Yeah, see there are five options, A through E. You just pick the most accurate one.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:22 pm

smccgrey wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:She does it all in her head and just picks the right answer. It's easy, guys.

Yeah, see there are five options, A through E. You just pick the most accurate one.

It says pick the best answer, she just follows the rules

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:22 pm

It's easy to link up 6 rules that all branch out nbd guys what's conditional logic

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:23 pm

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Actually, I didn't set this one up as an in/out either.

But, I had to write out all the different game pieces available for every question just so I could cross them out. I'm just concrete like that. It probably wastes a little some time but mechanically copying the game pieces each question is faster than balancing things in my head. And it kind of is a error control mechanism. Except when questions say EXCEPT and it fails to register.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:29 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:Actually, I didn't set this one up as an in/out either.

But, I had to write out all the different game pieces available for every question just so I could cross them out. I'm just concrete like that. It probably wastes a little some time but mechanically copying the game pieces each question is faster than balancing things in my head. And it kind of is a error control mechanism. Except when questions say EXCEPT and it fails to register.

Girl u cray

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:30 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:Actually, I didn't set this one up as an in/out either.

Girl u cray

It won't be long before I can post gifs. Just you wait.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Burnt out from studying today, so now I'm debating my drive to test playlist

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”