The Official September 2014 Study Group

hetookmetoamovie

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:27 pm

sfoglia wrote:

I'll pitch in, BTWs, hetookmetoamovie! It's like a sociology study. We can co-write a paper on studying for the LSAT, internet forums, and habit-forming behaviors.

We'll be published! We can consult smcc for her psych expertise. This will be LS app gold!

Also, thanks for the Cather chapter! Something to look forward to today!

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:28 pm

alloverthat wrote:

Thanks a lot :)

Sooo....

am I really the only one still freaking about logic games? It's bumming me out how everyone seems to be saying it's the easiest to go -0 on, and I manage that pretty much never.

NOPE! I was doing so well on them for a while, and then I started focusing more on LR and RC, and now my LG game is questionable at best.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 pm

smccgrey wrote:
Guys what would you do for me if I made a video of myself rapping Iggy?

I'm really really good at Fancy, and also Murda Bizness.

Now I want to know what everyone else's voice sounds like, too...

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:30 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
hereisonehand wrote: fucking rule substitution who has the time for that?

Tagline

srsly

i really really hate those Qs n like i dont think i saw between PTs 30-59 n in the newer tests there is at least 1 per section

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:31 pm

alloverthat wrote:I actually have done a fuckton... Probably pretty much every game.

My issue isn't understanding them conceptually at all, it's just slipping up and making tiny mistakes (like misreading a rule, mislabling a space) that mean I waste a hell of a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong or just panic and stop the clock. It happens pretty much every time I do a practice section.

Do you have any systems in place to double check things?

oh those are very normal problems I think. With LG, my thing is really verbal. I tend to talk out the rules to myself, and I actually have conversations as I eliminate the answers. Honestly it sounds like you just need more timed practice conquer those little mental blocks.

Instead of working against the clock, time up - just note how long each one takes you, then keep trying to beat your own past times for that game type. That's sort of what worked for me.

hillz

Postby hillz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:34 pm

alloverthat wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
alloverthat wrote:am I really the only one still freaking about logic games? It's bumming me out how everyone seems to be saying it's the easiest to go -0 on, and I manage that pretty much never.

It's only after like a FUCK TON of drilling that people tend to -0 on LG. It's both the hardest thing to do well on, and the easiest, in the sense that it's unfamiliar to most people at first, but possible to master with the right kind of practice.

I actually have done a fuckton... Probably pretty much every game.

My issue isn't understanding them conceptually at all, it's just slipping up and making tiny mistakes (like misreading a rule, mislabling a space) that mean I waste a hell of a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong or just panic and stop the clock. It happens pretty much every time I do a practice section.

I'm just now beginning to feel more comfortable (and enjoy!) LG after drilling every type consistently. I don't check my answers unless I have a lot of time to go back and look (in which case I go back to questions I circled bc I wasn't absolutely sure). I've found that double checking questions has lost me a lot of time in the past so I just try to do my best on each question and blaze ahead w/o double checking. Of course, going too quickly can lead to mistakes, too...so I've had to find my timing sweet spot.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:34 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
hereisonehand wrote: fucking rule substitution who has the time for that?

Tagline

srsly

i really really hate those Qs n like i dont think i saw between PTs 30-59 n in the newer tests there is at least 1 per section

the one in PT 65 was really obvious, I thought. TOO obvious. I was really suspicious actually.

But generally I hate them

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi guys, so due to some Immigration issues I may not be able to travel at the end of the month to sit the exam, I should know for sure by Monday but I am really starting to like the idea of having an extra two months to study.

Off topic but kinda funny so:
Edit: Second story more funny :wink:

Another totally funny story...

So I usually wear my Beyonce braids like all the time....on a connecting flight from Miami to NYC I sat next to some really buff, good looking white boys. Unfortunately, on my way off the plane one of my braids fell off but I did not realize....so I'm walking off the plane feeling like Beyonce because I just got my hair done....then an old white man walks up to me with a smile on his face... he was like "Excuse me, I think that you dropped something"..I was like "OMG, I did..I wonder what it is" walked back only to find my loose braid on the floor...as I bent down to pick it up the group of really cute white boys walked pass me :oops: :oops:

Thats not even the worst past...later on I saw them in the food court and as they walked pass me they started to sing this song..."I know you feel some type of way...some typppe awwwwayyy" lmao I nearly died from embarrassment but it was soooo funnny :lol:

thequigley

Postby thequigley » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Stopped reading here.

sashafierce wrote:Off topic but kinda funny so:

bound

Postby bound » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm

smccgrey wrote:
alloverthat wrote:I actually have done a fuckton... Probably pretty much every game.

oh those are very normal problems I think. With LG, my thing is really verbal. I tend to talk out the rules to myself, and I actually have conversations as I eliminate the answers. Honestly it sounds like you just need more timed practice conquer those little mental blocks.

Instead of working against the clock, time up - just note how long each one takes you, then keep trying to beat your own past times for that game type. That's sort of what worked for me.

I DO THIS THE ENTIRE TEST. Lucky for me (and anyone sitting next to me), when I took the test last time it was soooo spread out that I had an entire row to myself. I literally spaced the fuck out, sat indian style in my chair, and talked to myself for a solid 5 hours taking the lsat. Praying that happens again haha.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:21 pm

thequigley wrote:Stopped reading here.

sashafierce wrote:Off topic but kinda funny so:

That was the intention of me writing that, glad to know that it helped :wink:

el madrileno

Postby el madrileno » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:30 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:
el madrileno wrote:
What is your reaction to the 8 point range? Do you think the 174 and 166 are unrepresentative of your abilities?

Well I'd love to think that 174 is what I should be scoring, and 166 was just a terrible day. Realistically though, the stats probably aren't that far off despite the small sample size. I would expect my "abilities" would have me scoring around a 170-171 right now on average.

A four point swing downwards could easily occur from a particularly hard section - games are often the culprit for me as it's not uncommon for me to take too long and have to guess on 3-4 questions (as well as getting 1-2 wrong already). A four point swing in the other direction could come from nailing all my 50/50 guesses in LR, or having RC passages where I'm very familiar with the topic and able to go through much quicker than normal with perfect accuracy.

For a 170 scorer, naturally there should be some variance in scores due to difficulty, timing, familiarity, guesses etc.. As one gets closer to becoming a 180 scorer, the variance in those scores becomes less as those factors play less of a role in their ability to get the correct answer. Likewise, if you looked at 160 and then 150 scorers, I would expect their variance from test to test to be dramatically higher.

My theory anyhow...

Exactly. As you go down the scoring scale and look at 150-160, there are a lot more statistical anamolies that take factor into each score. That was the point I was trying to drive home but you said it best. The variance will really slim down when 180 is approached, not low 170s.

AOT

Postby AOT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:37 pm

smccgrey wrote:

Hmm yeah, thanks. Talking to myself could definitely help with some of these issues.

I'm also starting to think that just moving on and going back to a Q would be helpful. It's so hard to do, because I often think that maybe this question is going badly because my whole setup is wrong, or that if I leave this game now I'll have wasted time. But I think experience is telling me that it's better to take a second look with fresher eyes after completing other games.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:40 pm

alloverthat wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

Hmm yeah, thanks. Talking to myself could definitely help with some of these issues.

I'm also starting to think that just moving on and going back to a Q would be helpful. It's so hard to do, because I often think that maybe this question is going badly because my whole setup is wrong, or that if I leave this game now I'll have wasted time. But I think experience is telling me that it's better to take a second look with fresher eyes after completing other games.

Per Bill's suggestion: if you watch JY from 7Sage do the logic games it will really help to train you to see small little nuggets that you didn't before. I was decent at LG after reading the guides and drilling, but when I watch JY diagram and attack the questions it definitely helps to connect all the dots.

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:06 pm

bound wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

I DO THIS THE ENTIRE TEST. Lucky for me (and anyone sitting next to me), when I took the test last time it was soooo spread out that I had an entire row to myself. I literally spaced the fuck out, sat indian style in my chair, and talked to myself for a solid 5 hours taking the lsat. Praying that happens again haha.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:21 pm

So no takers on my Iggy rap? I swear I'm actually skilled. I'll dress up too. Will do this for 1 yr of GULC tuition.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:27 pm

I'm working from home today, so I could be studying for the LSAT, but instead I'm waiting for my company's horrendous software to load remotely so that I can complete my work for the day, first.

This is so awful. I keep staring at my Cambridge packets wistfully.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm

ok yall gif time

--ImageRemoved--

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm

merp merp

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:30 pm

this is one like how bro how

--ImageRemoved--

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:31 pm

idk i mean at leas this kid was wearing a helmet

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Deadline for LSAT test date change is 9th September guys...just FYI :wink:

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm

GreenTee wrote:
smccgrey wrote:So no takers on my Iggy rap? I swear I'm actually skilled. I'll dress up too. Will do this for 1 yr of GULC tuition.

I'll bite.

If you dress up and do the Iggy rap, I'll pay your 1L tuition.

Edit - but you have to keep the video up in this thread for at least 24 hours

I'll negotiate hours for $$

I'll just leave it up forever for full tuition. Or for full tuition I will just email the video to asha + the Yale drawing in lieu of any application forms. Plus my lsat score drawn on a piece of paper in crayon.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:34 pm

BillPackets wrote:ok yall gif time

--ImageRemoved--

This was exactly what this moron deserved.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”