The Official September 2014 Study Group

BillPackets

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:53 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:Can we get a Bill LiveCam?

its really funny to think of a live streaming vid ITT where its just constantly on one of us. a live webcam of me would basically me sitting in front of a computer screen from 8-4, making various faces at the comments on TLS, and helping middle schoolers check books out

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:55 am

BillPackets wrote:

its really funny to think of a live streaming vid ITT where its just constantly on one of us. a live webcam of me would basically me sitting in front of a computer screen from 8-4, making various faces at the comments on TLS, and helping middle schoolers check books out

somewhere on the internet, there is a pervert who will pay to watch this.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:55 am

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

and that persons online moniker is "hetookmetoamovie"

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:57 am

also i noticed alot of the posters ITT in this thread are pretty active in the TLS c/o 18 thread was thinking about hopping in there and cookin in that thread too but i dont want to jinx myself/create expectations that I will be applying when its all up in the air until after the lsat

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:57 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
Geeking out now: My undergrad focus was on 19th c English lit, specifically Gothic women's lit. (My thesis was on gender, the language of madness in a Joanna Baillie play -- very Gubar & Gilbert -- where's Madwomanintheattic? :) ) I would have loved to have continued studying it, but I really didn't have the balls or the self-direction needed for that track.

Our program very deliberately separated American from English lit, so I regret that I wasn't able to study much of it while in school! I'm still discovering it now :) I think the LSAT wants me to read Willa Cather.

Yeah, you should take my MCAT score and do something with it! :D Someone should anyway.

sfoglia wrote:It asked questions on ALL canonical literature ever

What IS the canon anyway, amirite? ::sista high five::

sfoglia wrote:ETA: I realize I also just said that I've always wanted to be a doctor. Both are true. I want to be a poet-writing doctor who spends time abroad helping to provide medical care to third-world nations, and also be intelligent enough to understand theoretical physics, because astronomy was actually my first "I've always wanted to be." In addition, I would have bigger breasts.

(P.S. That last part was definitely a joke.)

You're a braver woman than I. My brain draws the line at the natural sciences. It totally checks out for all the RC passages on glaciers, soil composition, and brown dwarfs. But I'm down with having bigger boobs.

Bill, your fiancee sounds intriguing and I want to be her BFF. Good catch :D

Edit: The smileys are courtesy of this morning's batch of Synchro Genesis.

OMG I love it!! We're literary twins!!

Yes, you should read Cather. My Antonia is beautifully written, as is O Pioneers!. Song of the Lark, less so, but it has an engaging plot that moves very quickly.

In My Antonia, there is this amazing, amazing scene based upon a Russian fairy tale told involving wolves. It is one of my favorite chapters from a book, ever. Read: http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl- ... nt-1-8.htm

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 am

BillPackets wrote:also i noticed alot of the posters ITT in this thread are pretty active in the TLS c/o 18 thread was thinking about hopping in there and cookin in that thread too but i dont want to jinx myself/create expectations that I will be applying when its all up in the air until after the lsat

that thread doesn't get quite as weird as this thread. just be warned.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 am

BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

and that persons online moniker is "hetookmetoamovie"

The best feature on the Mac is Command-H

Also, do you take PayPal?

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:00 pm

smccgrey wrote:that thread doesn't get quite as weird as this thread. just be warned.

ill stay out then dont want to step on any toes we got a pretty good cadence ITT diff than the other on topics so sum ppl would prolly get upset n kick me out

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:00 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:The best feature on the Mac is Command-H

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:00 pm

hillz wrote:Well said, sfogs.

Thanks!

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:02 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
smccgrey wrote:Who has an MCAT score? What was it?? Curious as a former Med School hopeful, also my best friend is applying this year.

edit: RC skills suck, it's Movie. DID YOU GET a 45??

Lol, no. I got a 36 (12/12/12). Pretty solid score!

Yeah that is pretty amazing! Nice genius-ness. She wrote hers a couple of weeks ago and is still waiting for the score.

With the LSAT, I've heard of a few people getting a perfect score. With the MCAT a perfect score is LOLNO.

Dude, my husband who can't match his socks got a perfect score. I watch him sometimes trying to operate the washing machine and it makes me really wonder about the universe.

Hahaha! Genius works in strange ways!

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 pm

smccgrey wrote:

i dont get it can sum1 explain this 180 to me

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:12 pm

BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

So we can pay you to sit in front of an all-day live stream.

I'll pitch in, BTWs, hetookmetoamovie! It's like a sociology study. We can co-write a paper on studying for the LSAT, internet forums, and habit-forming behaviors.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm

BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm

sfoglia wrote:So we can pay you to sit in front of an all-day live stream.

that would b legit it would jumpstart my dream of having a reality tv show where i make money by literally doing nothing but being filmed

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm

smccgrey wrote:165.

i hope u dont think imgoing to forget about this grey

AOT

Postby AOT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm

sfoglia wrote:
alloverthat wrote:I've been on this thread for a while (lurked since the beginning actually and maybe posted 4 or 5 times). I did get the context, and it still struck me as off.

If you think I'm completely off the mark then lets just leave it at that. I've just heard that big black men shit so much it gets tired.

I'm not going to bore you at length, but just so that you get where I'm coming from:

One of my brother's friends recently was all "I wanted to be friends with him, because no one's going to fuck with me when I'm with a big black dude amiriggghht?! haha". Which, similar to the stuff you guys were saying was pretty inoffensive, and obviously not meant will any ill intent at all (and I didn't say anything). But the reasons he was saying that - big black men are perceived as scary and dangerous, also cause a LOT of problems for my brother.

So when you guys are all "he talks shit like a big black dude" and telling stories about how one big black man you met cussed at you and then did big strong black man shit, it just doesn't sit right, no matter how friendly the context.

Anyway, I'm really done derailing this thread. Just wanted to come here to procrastinate and talk about the LSAT. Hope there's no bad feeling and that I can still do that

Of course you can.

I think that I understand where you're coming from. I do feel strongly that none of it was at all intended in that way, but, I also understand that the need to combat the constant barrage of racism from our society can be incredibly exhausting. I sometimes become especially sensitive to what I perceive as potential misogyny for a similar reason. I don't purport to know you or your circumstances, but that's been my personal experience, and I just want you to know that you have no need to feel at all strange for calling attention to something that you felt to be socially unhealthy, whether or not that assumption were true.

TLDR: People are awful, and it's very difficult to give benefit of the doubt when experience tells you that generally something that reads inappropriate is, in fact, inappropriate. But I promise that the people in this thread are not at all awful.

Thanks a lot :)

Sooo....

am I really the only one still freaking about logic games? It's bumming me out how everyone seems to be saying it's the easiest to go -0 on, and I manage that pretty much never.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:17 pm

BillPackets wrote:

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:19 pm

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

oh u funny huh

(to the tune of "o fancy huh")

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 pm

alloverthat wrote:am I really the only one still freaking about logic games? It's bumming me out how everyone seems to be saying it's the easiest to go -0 on, and I manage that pretty much never.

It's only after like a FUCK TON of drilling that people tend to -0 on LG. It's both the hardest thing to do well on, and the easiest, in the sense that it's unfamiliar to most people at first, but possible to master with the right kind of practice.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:21 pm

BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

oh u funny huh

(to the tune of "o fancy huh")

Guys what would you do for me if I made a video of myself rapping Iggy?

I'm really really good at Fancy, and also Murda Bizness.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:22 pm

alloverthat wrote:
am I really the only one still freaking about logic games? It's bumming me out how everyone seems to be saying it's the easiest to go -0 on, and I manage that pretty much never.

Just keep doing 'em. Really. First you need to be able to go perfect untimed, then you do, say, another 100 games, by which point you should be able to go perfect (or near perfect) in time.

That said, while I tend to go perfect these days (or close enough, missing one, two questions because of sloppiness, or because fucking rule substitution who has the time for that?), I am still worried. Missed four questions in the games section on the June test, and not even because that last game, on which I went perfect.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 pm

hereisonehand wrote: fucking rule substitution who has the time for that?

Tagline

AOT

Postby AOT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 pm

smccgrey wrote:
alloverthat wrote:am I really the only one still freaking about logic games? It's bumming me out how everyone seems to be saying it's the easiest to go -0 on, and I manage that pretty much never.

It's only after like a FUCK TON of drilling that people tend to -0 on LG. It's both the hardest thing to do well on, and the easiest, in the sense that it's unfamiliar to most people at first, but possible to master with the right kind of practice.

I actually have done a fuckton... Probably pretty much every game.

My issue isn't understanding them conceptually at all, it's just slipping up and making tiny mistakes (like misreading a rule, mislabling a space) that mean I waste a hell of a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong or just panic and stop the clock. It happens pretty much every time I do a practice section.

Do you have any systems in place to double check things?

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:26 pm

smccgrey wrote:
hereisonehand wrote: fucking rule substitution who has the time for that?

Tagline

srsly

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”