The Official September 2014 Study Group

Colonel_funkadunk

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:08 am

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:I taught introductory composition while studying for my MA! I want to be friends with her!

haha yup she has two comp courses of 24 students this semester. these kids kno nothing

Is she gon publish

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:10 am

alloverthat wrote:I've been on this thread for a while (lurked since the beginning actually and maybe posted 4 or 5 times). I did get the context, and it still struck me as off.

If you think I'm completely off the mark then lets just leave it at that. I've just heard that big black men shit so much it gets tired.

I'm not going to bore you at length, but just so that you get where I'm coming from:

One of my brother's friends recently was all "I wanted to be friends with him, because no one's going to fuck with me when I'm with a big black dude amiriggghht?! haha". Which, similar to the stuff you guys were saying was pretty inoffensive, and obviously not meant will any ill intent at all (and I didn't say anything). But the reasons he was saying that - big black men are perceived as scary and dangerous, also cause a LOT of problems for my brother.

So when you guys are all "he talks shit like a big black dude" and telling stories about how one big black man you met cussed at you and then did big strong black man shit, it just doesn't sit right, no matter how friendly the context.

Anyway, I'm really done derailing this thread. Just wanted to come here to procrastinate and talk about the LSAT. Hope there's no bad feeling and that I can still do that

Of course you can.

I think that I understand where you're coming from. I do feel strongly that none of it was at all intended in that way, but, I also understand that the need to combat the constant barrage of racism from our society can be incredibly exhausting. I sometimes become especially sensitive to what I perceive as potential misogyny for a similar reason. I don't purport to know you or your circumstances, but that's been my personal experience, and I just want you to know that you have no need to feel at all strange for calling attention to something that you felt to be socially unhealthy, whether or not that assumption were true.

TLDR: People are awful, and it's very difficult to give benefit of the doubt when experience tells you that generally something that reads inappropriate is, in fact, inappropriate. But I promise that the people in this thread are not at all awful.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 am

alloverthat wrote:So when you guys are all "he talks shit like a big black dude" and telling stories about how one big black man you met cussed at you and then did big strong black man shit, it just doesn't sit right, no matter how friendly the context.

Fair enough, it derailed a little bit there. Please do feel welcome in the thread to hate on the LSAT with us.

ETA: what sfogs said.

Speaking of the LSAT... my study schedule consists of taking an LR section on the bus home from work, and then a LG section when I get home, so about an hour every day. Started to take two full PTs on the weekend, saturday morning and sunday morning, which makes for four hours over the weekend (I take all four sections back to back). Plan to make the full PTs five instead of four sections starting this weekend.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:16 am

hey guys my tDCS machine shipped im really hoping it gets here tomorrow i feel like i kid waiting for christmas day

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 am

BillPackets wrote:hey guys my tDCS machine shipped im really hoping it gets here tomorrow i feel like i kid waiting for christmas day

I still can't tell whether or not this is a joke.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 am

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:hey guys my tDCS machine shipped im really hoping it gets here tomorrow i feel like i kid waiting for christmas day

Pics or it didn't happen

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:20 am

hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen

Bill please don't die.

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:20 am

alloverthat wrote:
TX_UH wrote:I'm going to post this again as I think it was overlooked the first time and I would really appreciate a few suggestions.
Pls respond to this (credit to flash for this one)

My biggest weakness seems to be timing in the RC section, as I usually go -8/-10, and NEVER get to the questions for the last passage. I spend an average of 4 minutes reading a passage (too long) and roughly twice as long answering the questions for each passage (waaaay too long). Of the questions I do have adequate time to answer, I miss 1 for the section on average. I think I just need to speed the hell up.

What are some specific tactics that y'all use to keep things moving during RC?

edit: 5000th post! 8)

Hmm so I actually also spend on average 4 minutes on the passages, and tend to go between -0 and -3 on passages so it's not necessarily a bad move. I think you need to make sure that if you're spending that long, you're really taking it all in (almost memorizing the passage), so that when it comes to questions you can be super quick.

If you're spending 4 minutes and still slow on questions then I think you should try and diagnose exactly what you're getting out of the passage when you read. I possibly read this somewhere else - but try and do some RC sections "blind" i.e. not looking back at the passage at all. That will give you a good indication of what you're taking in.

Once you know what your strengths are e.g., taking in details but not the argument, or vice versa, you can focus on that. Underlining shiz helps me a LOT, because I tend to remember the argument, and the underlining somehow makes the details stick better. If you're the other way round, maybe try making short notations like "death penalty pro", "death penalty no", "only if guilt proven conc." or something, which will both make it stick in your brain, and give you a prompt if you need it.

Also use signs! I tend to make up notation as I go, but things like a + and - to show for and against. Or an = to say same argument. Or a little clock to show that the time period is important to the argument. Stuff like that. Again, it's mainly to make it stick, so that I only have to go to the text for confirmation when answering questions, but also helps if you panic or forget.

With RC, you should kind of know the answer in most cases before looking at the options

Hope some of that was useful!

Thanks for the feedback schmel (nice tar), Colonel_(GerardButler+Che tar) and AOT (choose a tar wisely).

I think I will try skipping a question here or there. I have perfectionist tendencies so skipping questions is a challenging but in this case could really boost my score. When I do the passages, I notate in a similar style to AOT but I think that I am still not quite focusing on the right parts of the passage so answering some questions "blind" could really help identify my shortcomings. Excellent ideas!
Thanks again guys/gals!

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:24 am

sfoglia wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:What entrance exams has every1 studied 4 excluding SAT\ACT so just grad school I also took GRE anybody done GRE + GMAT
One if my recommenders joked and asked if I had taken all the entrance exams yet so yeah

GRE and Literature GRE.

We ex-lit people should gather round the fire and recite the proem to Canterbury Tales! What did you focus on in grad school?

MCAT and GRE here. LSAT way harder than GRE and harder/different than the MCAT.

MCAT! Let's TRADE! I've always wanted to do medicine. I love science, generally.

I studied 19th century American women writers from undergraduate through graduate, with a focus on gender and sexuality. You?

Geeking out now: My undergrad focus was on 19th c English lit, specifically Gothic women's lit. (My thesis was on gender, the language of madness in a Joanna Baillie play -- very Gubar & Gilbert -- where's Madwomanintheattic? :) ) I would have loved to have continued studying it, but I really didn't have the balls or the self-direction needed for that track.

Our program very deliberately separated American from English lit, so I regret that I wasn't able to study much of it while in school! I'm still discovering it now :) I think the LSAT wants me to read Willa Cather.

Yeah, you should take my MCAT score and do something with it! :D Someone should anyway.

sfoglia wrote:It asked questions on ALL canonical literature ever

What IS the canon anyway, amirite? ::sista high five::

sfoglia wrote:ETA: I realize I also just said that I've always wanted to be a doctor. Both are true. I want to be a poet-writing doctor who spends time abroad helping to provide medical care to third-world nations, and also be intelligent enough to understand theoretical physics, because astronomy was actually my first "I've always wanted to be." In addition, I would have bigger breasts.

(P.S. That last part was definitely a joke.)

You're a braver woman than I. My brain draws the line at the natural sciences. It totally checks out for all the RC passages on glaciers, soil composition, and brown dwarfs. But I'm down with having bigger boobs.

Bill, your fiancee sounds intriguing and I want to be her BFF. Good catch :D

Edit: The smileys are courtesy of this morning's batch of Synchro Genesis.
Last edited by hetookmetoamovie on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 am

Who has an MCAT score? What was it?? Curious as a former Med School hopeful, also my best friend is applying this year.

edit: RC skills suck, it's Movie. DID YOU GET a 45??

TX_UH

Postby TX_UH » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:32 am

smccgrey wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen

Bill please don't die.

Seriously Bill. Be careful with that and don't let this be you
Last edited by TX_UH on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

chimera

Postby chimera » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:32 am

PT 61 RC and the second LR gave me trouble. Fucking return of the dancing honey bees in passage 3 then I had to really rush through the fourth passage. IDK what happened in the second LR but I got owned... Might be because it was the last section since on my last 3 PTs my worst section was the one after the break. I'm halfway through my review of 61 and will be getting to it soon though.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 am

trying to figure out how to screenshot on chrome on windows will post pic of shipping info when i figure that out

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:34 am

smccgrey wrote:Who has an MCAT score? What was it?? Curious as a former Med School hopeful, also my best friend is applying this year.

Lol, no. I got a 36 (12/12/12). Pretty solid score!

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35 am

ErgoSum wrote:PT 61 cut off my dick with it's light saber in our duel this morning and is hanging it as a trophy over it's fireplace :'[

166 on it. Lowest score I've earned so far

This echoes both my thoughts and score exactly...

hillz

Postby hillz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:36 am

sfoglia wrote:
alloverthat wrote:I've been on this thread for a while (lurked since the beginning actually and maybe posted 4 or 5 times). I did get the context, and it still struck me as off.

If you think I'm completely off the mark then lets just leave it at that. I've just heard that big black men shit so much it gets tired.

I'm not going to bore you at length, but just so that you get where I'm coming from:

One of my brother's friends recently was all "I wanted to be friends with him, because no one's going to fuck with me when I'm with a big black dude amiriggghht?! haha". Which, similar to the stuff you guys were saying was pretty inoffensive, and obviously not meant will any ill intent at all (and I didn't say anything). But the reasons he was saying that - big black men are perceived as scary and dangerous, also cause a LOT of problems for my brother.

So when you guys are all "he talks shit like a big black dude" and telling stories about how one big black man you met cussed at you and then did big strong black man shit, it just doesn't sit right, no matter how friendly the context.

Anyway, I'm really done derailing this thread. Just wanted to come here to procrastinate and talk about the LSAT. Hope there's no bad feeling and that I can still do that

Of course you can.

I think that I understand where you're coming from. I do feel strongly that none of it was at all intended in that way, but, I also understand that the need to combat the constant barrage of racism from our society can be incredibly exhausting. I sometimes become especially sensitive to what I perceive as potential misogyny for a similar reason. I don't purport to know you or your circumstances, but that's been my personal experience, and I just want you to know that you have no need to feel at all strange for calling attention to something that you felt to be socially unhealthy, whether or not that assumption were true.

TLDR: People are awful, and it's very difficult to give benefit of the doubt when experience tells you that generally something that reads inappropriate is, in fact, inappropriate. But I promise that the people in this thread are not at all awful.

Well said, sfogs.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:37 am

BillPackets wrote:trying to figure out how to screenshot on chrome on windows will post pic of shipping info when i figure that out

PrtScn -> paste in Paint -> save ->upload

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:37 am

chimera wrote:PT 61 RC and the second LR gave me trouble. Fucking return of the dancing honey bees in passage 3 then I had to really rush through the fourth passage. IDK what happened in the second LR but I got owned... Might be because it was the last section since on my last 3 PTs my worst section was the one after the break. I'm halfway through my review of 61 and will be getting to it soon though.

Had the exact same thought when this happened.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
smccgrey wrote:Who has an MCAT score? What was it?? Curious as a former Med School hopeful, also my best friend is applying this year.

Yeah that is pretty amazing! Nice genius-ness. She wrote hers a couple of weeks ago and is still waiting for the score.

With the LSAT, I've heard of a few people getting a perfect score. With the MCAT a perfect score is LOLNO.

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 am

smccgrey wrote:
chimera wrote:PT 61 RC and the second LR gave me trouble. Fucking return of the dancing honey bees in passage 3 then I had to really rush through the fourth passage. IDK what happened in the second LR but I got owned... Might be because it was the last section since on my last 3 PTs my worst section was the one after the break. I'm halfway through my review of 61 and will be getting to it soon though.

Good God I thought I was free of those things. Tell me, are there more brown dwarfs??

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 am

smccgrey wrote:

I think by now I've read enough on dancing honeybees through LSAT prep alone that I'd be considered an authority on them. I actually hope they reappear on Sept 27 - free points!

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:43 am

smccgrey wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:

Yeah that is pretty amazing! Nice genius-ness. She wrote hers a couple of weeks ago and is still waiting for the score.

With the LSAT, I've heard of a few people getting a perfect score. With the MCAT a perfect score is LOLNO.

Dude, my husband who can't match his socks got a perfect score. I watch him sometimes trying to operate the washing machine and it makes me really wonder about the universe.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:47 am

kind of sketch pic but idk just look up the company n youll see that they make the brain stimulator

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:48 am

BillPackets wrote:kind of sketch pic but idk just look up the company n youll see that they make the brain stimulator

Can we get a Bill LiveCam?

(For safety reasons.)

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:Dude, my husband who can't match his socks got a perfect score. I watch him sometimes trying to operate the washing machine and it makes me really wonder about the universe.

Ahahahah this mental image. His brain works in mysterious ways.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”