The Official September 2014 Study Group

AOT

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby AOT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:51 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Just lol

BillPackets wrote:
Do u see that phrase a lot on or r u making a huge generalization regarding expectations within any given thread on this website

Pretty big generalization. Not that lol though, unless you guys are actually larger than average, black men - in which case my B

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 am

alloverthat wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Just lol

BillPackets wrote:
Do u see that phrase a lot on or r u making a huge generalization regarding expectations within any given thread on this website

Pretty big generalization. Not that lol though, unless you guys are actually larger than average, black men - in which case my B

Colonel plz fucking strike thru your incredibly insensitive use of the phrase "big" and change to the more PC "larger than average" k thx -bill

ETA: also strike thru dude m use man cuz dude is fucking archaic

AOT

Postby AOT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:56 am

BillPackets wrote:
alloverthat wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Just lol

BillPackets wrote:

Colonel plz fucking strike thru your incredibly insensitive use of the phrase "big" and change to the more PC "larger than average" k thx -bill

My issue wasn't your use of "big" - it was the whole: big black men are so FUNNY thing that seemed in bad taste.

Edit: I'm really not trying to start a forum flaming battle here. Just annoyed me and thought I should call it out. Do with it what you will

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:57 am

BillPackets wrote:
alloverthat wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Just lol

BillPackets wrote:

Idk bro I actually think these days big is common parlance and more PC bc larger than average makes stereotypes and biases about the average

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:00 am

alloverthat wrote:My issue wasn't your use of "big" - it was the whole: big black men are so FUNNY thing that seemed in bad taste.

Edit: I'm really not trying to start a forum flaming battle here. Just annoyed me and thought I should call it out. Do with it what you will

Thx for letting is know AOT

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:06 am

alloverthat wrote:
My issue wasn't your use of "big" - it was the whole: big black men are so FUNNY thing that seemed in bad taste.

I mean if you were in this thread for any of the context of statements*, and the pages previous it's obviously not that big black men are funny just funny that someone pictured one of our regulars so incorrectly.

*this is different than you hopping in to flame

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
alloverthat wrote:

I mean if you were in this thread for any of the context of statements*, and the pages previous it's obviously not that big black men are funny just funny that someone pictured one of our regulars so incorrectly.

yeah pretty much what the colonel its a running joke cuz of my avatar even tho im not anything like my avatar every1 pictures me as such but srs THANK YOU SO MUCH for hopping in here and letting us kno what these statements look like out of context we really need sum1 to hop in here like that i mean yeah maybe look thru and see what else might b able to b taken out of context thx

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:21 am

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:What entrance exams has every1 studied 4 excluding SAT\ACT so just grad school I also took GRE anybody done GRE + GMAT
One if my recommenders joked and asked if I had taken all the entrance exams yet so yeah

GRE and Literature GRE.

We ex-lit people should gather round the fire and recite the proem to Canterbury Tales! What did you focus on in grad school?

MCAT and GRE here. LSAT way harder than GRE and harder/different than the MCAT.

MCAT! Let's TRADE! I've always wanted to do medicine. I love science, generally.

I studied 19th century American women writers from undergraduate through graduate, with a focus on gender and sexuality. You?

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:24 am

sfoglia wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:What entrance exams has every1 studied 4 excluding SAT\ACT so just grad school I also took GRE anybody done GRE + GMAT
One if my recommenders joked and asked if I had taken all the entrance exams yet so yeah

GRE and Literature GRE.

We ex-lit people should gather round the fire and recite the proem to Canterbury Tales! What did you focus on in grad school?

MCAT and GRE here. LSAT way harder than GRE and harder/different than the MCAT.

MCAT! Let's TRADE! I've always wanted to do medicine. I love science, generally.

I studied 19th century American women writers from undergraduate through graduate, with a focus on gender and sexuality. You?

my fiance is in a MFA program the ppl in her program say the GRE lit test is like the stupidest test they've ever taken that its just impossible to know everything they want u to know for that test confirm/deny?

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:34 am

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:

my fiance is in a MFA program the ppl in her program say the GRE lit test is like the stupidest test they've ever taken that its just impossible to know everything they want u to know for that test confirm/deny?

Confuckingfirm. You want to know my score on that shit? Well less than 50th percentile. Seriously the most ridiculous test I have ever taken in my life. It asked questions on ALL canonical literature ever in addition to ALL theory.

Is she MFA for writing? Or art?

AOT

Postby AOT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 am

BillPackets wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
alloverthat wrote:

yeah pretty much what the colonel its a running joke cuz of my avatar even tho im not anything like my avatar every1 pictures me as such but srs THANK YOU SO MUCH for hopping in here and letting us kno what these statements look like out of context we really need sum1 to hop in here like that i mean yeah maybe look thru and see what else might b able to b taken out of context thx

I've been on this thread for a while (lurked since the beginning actually and maybe posted 4 or 5 times). I did get the context, and it still struck me as off.

If you think I'm completely off the mark then lets just leave it at that. I've just heard that big black men shit so much it gets tired.

I'm not going to bore you at length, but just so that you get where I'm coming from:

One of my brother's friends recently was all "I wanted to be friends with him, because no one's going to fuck with me when I'm with a big black dude amiriggghht?! haha". Which, similar to the stuff you guys were saying was pretty inoffensive, and obviously not meant will any ill intent at all (and I didn't say anything). But the reasons he was saying that - big black men are perceived as scary and dangerous, also cause a LOT of problems for my brother.

So when you guys are all "he talks shit like a big black dude" and telling stories about how one big black man you met cussed at you and then did big strong black man shit, it just doesn't sit right, no matter how friendly the context.

Anyway, I'm really done derailing this thread. Just wanted to come here to procrastinate and talk about the LSAT. Hope there's no bad feeling and that I can still do that

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:37 am

sfoglia wrote:Confuckingfirm. You want to know my score on that shit? Well less than 50th percentile. Seriously the most ridiculous test I have ever taken in my life. It asked questions on ALL canonical literature ever in addition to ALL theory.

MFA in poetry

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 am

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Confuckingfirm. You want to know my score on that shit? Well less than 50th percentile. Seriously the most ridiculous test I have ever taken in my life. It asked questions on ALL canonical literature ever in addition to ALL theory.

MFA in poetry

Oh my gosh, she's a poet! Is she brunette? Please describe.

I've always wanted to be talented enough to write poetry!

ETA: I realize I also just said that I've always wanted to be a doctor. Both are true. I want to be a poet-writing doctor who spends time abroad helping to provide medical care to third-world nations, and also be intelligent enough to understand theoretical physics, because astronomy was actually my first "I've always wanted to be." In addition, I would have bigger breasts.

(P.S. That last part was definitely a joke.)
Last edited by sfoglia on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am

sfoglia wrote:Oh my gosh, she's a poet! Is she brunette? Please describe.

uh not brunette more of a redhead...idk how tall she 5'3" maybe...real curly hair...got her hair cut awhile back where its shorter on one side and longer on the other dk what thats called but it looks good...part of the front is dyed blonde on one side...studied poetry in undergrad, also teaches comp and a creative writing course where she is getting her mfa from

Valamar

Postby Valamar » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am

One more day of review, then starting 8:30 am PTs on Friday. Forcing my body to fall asleep at 10pm every day will be an interesting challenge 8)

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:56 am

flash21 wrote:honestly thought bill was going to be a big black dude for some reason

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:He talks shit like a big black dude

hereisonehand wrote:glad to see i'm not the only one who has troube looking past the tar... you'll always be a massive black dude in my eyes bill

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Reminds that today I asked a big black guy to move his car bc he had me blocked in at a gas pump. He cussed at me then moved it

alloverthat wrote:offs...

is this expected on any threads that aren't explicitly URM?

What's with all this "big black dude" crap?

you get where I'm coming from:

One of my brother's friends recently was all "I wanted to be friends with him, because no one's going to fuck with me when I'm with a big black dude amiriggghht?! haha". Which, similar to the stuff you guys were saying was pretty inoffensive, and obviously not meant will any ill intent at all (and I didn't say anything). But the reasons he was saying that - big black men are perceived as scary and dangerous, also cause a LOT of problems for my brother.

So when you guys are all "he talks shit like a big black dude" and telling stories about how one big black man you met cussed at you and then did big strong black man shit, it just doesn't sit right, no matter how friendly the context.

idk im pretty sure every1 ITT has a certain level of political consciousness and that level is high enough to recognize that symbolic racism is very much alive and well in the US and obvs the two situations u r describing r very diff (one IRL where the implication is pretty obvs) vs ITT where everything was going off a legit joke bout my tar and how ppl will always picture me like chandler jones even tho im nothing like him so like yeah im aware of racism and all its subtle forms but like to project what has happened to your brother onto this thread doesnt seem right but i can see how it would remind you of that incident but im still going to say theyre different and the implication that was present IRL is not present ITT sry wasnt going 2 respond but its hard not 4 me 2 not respond to stuff like this most of the time

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:56 am

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:Oh my gosh, she's a poet! Is she brunette? Please describe.

uh not brunette more of a redhead...idk how tall she 5'3" maybe...real curly hair...got her hair cut awhile back where its shorter on one side and longer on the other dk what thats called but it looks good...part of the front is dyed blonde on one side...studied poetry in undergrad, also teaches comp and a creative writing course where she is getting her mfa from

I taught introductory composition while studying for my MA! I want to be friends with her!

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:57 am

Valamar wrote:One more day of review, then starting 8:30 am PTs on Friday. Forcing my body to fall asleep at 10pm every day will be an interesting challenge 8)

i think its easier to ease into it rather than go from going 2 bed at 12-1 to right at 10 but idk what ur sleep schedule is like when do u normally go 2 bed?

vracovino

Postby vracovino » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:58 am

For all you Lit majors with grad degrees why not just go for that PHD and try to get a professorship? Is it because the market is so bad?

Anyway, fellow lit major here. Still in undergrad but if I stink up the LSAT I'm gonna consider grad school next cycle. I like cultural theory / media studies :)

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:59 am

PT 61 cut off my dick with it's light saber in our duel this morning and is hanging it as a trophy over it's fireplace :'[

166 on it. Lowest score I've earned so far

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:00 am

ErgoSum wrote:PT 61 cut off my dick with it's light saber in our duel this morning and is hanging it as a trophy over it's fireplace :'[

I think everyone ITT has had a terrible time with the early 60s. I was in full struggle mode for 60-64. Don't beat yourself up.

Valamar

Postby Valamar » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 am

BillPackets wrote:
Valamar wrote:One more day of review, then starting 8:30 am PTs on Friday. Forcing my body to fall asleep at 10pm every day will be an interesting challenge 8)

i think its easier to ease into it rather than go from going 2 bed at 12-1 to right at 10 but idk what ur sleep schedule is like when do u normally go 2 bed?

Horrible. Case in point: posted in this group around 330 last night. I'm thinking about doing one of those 48 hour resets where you pull an all nighter then crash at 9-10pm the night after haha

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:03 am

Valamar wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

Horrible. Case in point: posted in this group around 330 last night. I'm thinking about doing one of those 48 hour resets where you pull an all nighter then crash at 9-10pm the night after haha

my fiance swears by that method

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:05 am

smccgrey wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:PT 61 cut off my dick with it's light saber in our duel this morning and is hanging it as a trophy over it's fireplace :'[

I think everyone ITT has had a terrible time with the early 60s. I was in full struggle mode for 60-64. Don't beat yourself up.

Thanks

I got all the questions from the last game incorrect and I messed up on the RC horribly

Much review/drilling after work

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:08 am

sfoglia wrote:I taught introductory composition while studying for my MA! I want to be friends with her!

haha yup she has two comp courses of 24 students this semester. these kids kno nothing

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”