The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bamfrosty

New

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by bamfrosty » Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Took my first PT since my diagnostic on the June 2007 test last summer. I took September 2007 in accordance with the Trainer's 16-week schedule and managed to squeeze out a 176. I went -1 LR, -2 LG, -2 LR, and -1 RC. I read the Manhattan books last summer but ceased serious prep once the school year started. I had not anticipated scoring nearly so well and had prepared to study 15-20 hours per week this summer. Sorry for the brag, but I felt the need to share this since no one in real life cares about the LSAT. I was afraid that I would never break 170 on a PT because the logic games were so intimidating. 7sage and this forum have really helped me with that and I can't wait to get to -0.

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Mon May 26, 2014 10:10 pm

itsallinthesauce wrote:
churrochi wrote:A bit late, but I'm checking in. Had a short stint teaching English in Japan but now I'm back in the States and ready to buckle down.

Currently WL'ed at UCLA and priority WL'ed at Emory, so I may jump ship and go to whichever one accepts me...but my LSAT is so abysmal that I'm just preparing for the test anyway in the event that I don't get into either. Very encouraging to see lots of retakers on here. Will definitely post whenever I have questions this time around.
What'd you score?
151. 3.85 GPA.
All those voices (imaginary and otherwise) telling me to retake, retake, retake.

I was PTing at 158-160 but just bombed the Oct. 2013 exam. A mix of being burnt out and just not being prepared (only studied for ~2 months). I had gotten 154 on my diagnostic prior to studying AT ALL, so I'm pretty certain the 151 isn't representative of my full potential.

Here's the link to my profile on lsn, in case you're wondering how this application cycle went for me: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/procrastinazn

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:34 am

i am a december taker but if anyone wants to get together a few times a week and drill LR together (I am mostly doing level 3-4 questions so preferrably someone roughly the same) we should skype and break down some LR questions . I think it'll be valuable especailly for the harder ones.

Ibn Battuta

New

Post by Ibn Battuta » Tue May 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Just did my first official LR Prep - did all Cambridge LR packet Sufficient Assumptions - got 53/58 correct. All 5 wrong answers were in the hardest level of difficulty, so this is a good beginning to my studying. I'm going to go over all questions I missed with a fine toothed comb.

itsallinthesauce

New

Post by itsallinthesauce » Tue May 27, 2014 12:59 pm

churrochi wrote:
itsallinthesauce wrote:
churrochi wrote:A bit late, but I'm checking in. Had a short stint teaching English in Japan but now I'm back in the States and ready to buckle down.

Currently WL'ed at UCLA and priority WL'ed at Emory, so I may jump ship and go to whichever one accepts me...but my LSAT is so abysmal that I'm just preparing for the test anyway in the event that I don't get into either. Very encouraging to see lots of retakers on here. Will definitely post whenever I have questions this time around.
What'd you score?
151. 3.85 GPA.
All those voices (imaginary and otherwise) telling me to retake, retake, retake.

I was PTing at 158-160 but just bombed the Oct. 2013 exam. A mix of being burnt out and just not being prepared (only studied for ~2 months). I had gotten 154 on my diagnostic prior to studying AT ALL, so I'm pretty certain the 151 isn't representative of my full potential.

Here's the link to my profile on lsn, in case you're wondering how this application cycle went for me: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/procrastinazn

Interesting -- thanks for the info! Glad you're retaking with that killer gpa. Just out of arbitrary curiosity, are you looking to attend law school in CA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Tue May 27, 2014 1:44 pm

itsallinthesauce wrote:
churrochi wrote:
itsallinthesauce wrote:

What'd you score?
151. 3.85 GPA.

Interesting -- thanks for the info! Glad you're retaking with that killer gpa. Just out of arbitrary curiosity, are you looking to attend law school in CA?
That would be ideal for me, as I hope to work in CA in the future.

(We can also continue this conversation via PM if you'd like, as I feel we're diverting from the main topic of this thread.)
Last edited by churrochi on Tue May 27, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bondja

New

Post by bondja » Tue May 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Honestly, this is the last time I'll have a post where I'm announcing my candidacy for retaking this test.

Bombed June 2012 LSAT because of lack of efficient study materials/burnt out. Wasn't sure if this is something I wanted to do anyways. Spent the last 2 years as a Paralegal and been studying since the beginning of May and I'm excited to take this September bad boy!

I had a horrible overall GPA in college but when I realized what I wanted to major in, my "core class" gpa was around 3.6~. Was PTing in the high 160's and low 170's and scored a 148 on the June LSAT. Did a diagnostic earlier this month and hit 163. Feeling confident!

So, now that I'm an official member of this club...WHERE MY PARTY PEOPLE AT?!?!

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Tue May 27, 2014 1:49 pm

bondja wrote:Honestly, this is the last time I'll have a post where I'm announcing my candidacy for retaking this test.

Bombed June 2012 LSAT because of lack of efficient study materials/burnt out. Wasn't sure if this is something I wanted to do anyways. Spent the last 2 years as a Paralegal and been studying since the beginning of May and I'm excited to take this September bad boy!

I had a horrible overall GPA in college but when I realized what I wanted to major in, my "core class" gpa was around 3.6~. Was PTing in the high 160's and low 170's and scored a 148 on the June LSAT. Did a diagnostic earlier this month and hit 163. Feeling confident!

So, now that I'm an official member of this club...WHERE MY PARTY PEOPLE AT?!?!
Wow, must've been rough to see that big of a disparity between your PT average and your score on the actual exam. I, too, went through something similar, but I didn't have that big of a gap between scores.

Best of luck, man!

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Tue May 27, 2014 1:57 pm

How is the prep coming along in this group?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bondja

New

Post by bondja » Tue May 27, 2014 1:57 pm

Wow, must've been rough to see that big of a disparity between your PT average and your score on the actual exam. I, too, went through something similar, but I didn't have that big of a gap between scores.

Best of luck, man!
Ha, it was! Although, it was one of those things where I was a ticking time bomb. I psyched myself out of it too. I was thinking I would have hit my original diagnostic score of 154 so I was a little shocked.

But, that was 2 years ago and I've learned a lot about myself. I'm an arrogant, selfish, and lazy person. I have to remind myself of those things everyday so that I'm able to catch myself and work harder than I believe I need to!

Best of luck to you as well, friend!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Tue May 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier2015

Bronze

Post by cavalier2015 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:03 pm

reviewed simple-ordering and doing set 2 of them tonight (meaning: second time going through the packet). reviewed main conclusion and doing the packet over again tonight. will also be doing in/out grouping packet for the first time today,

tomorrow: review simple-ordering, review main conclusion, review in/out. study grouping (distribution). and do packet. review sufficient assumption packet (missed a LOT my first time through)

so far staying on track and seeing progress in games and LR. hopefully i can continue.

having a lot of trouble with sufficient assumptions, manhattan seems to be forcing me to remember too much of the stimulus. will use trainer to see how to approach differently.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue May 27, 2014 4:40 pm

bamfrosty wrote:Took my first PT since my diagnostic on the June 2007 test last summer. I took September 2007 in accordance with the Trainer's 16-week schedule and managed to squeeze out a 176. I went -1 LR, -2 LG, -2 LR, and -1 RC. I read the Manhattan books last summer but ceased serious prep once the school year started. I had not anticipated scoring nearly so well and had prepared to study 15-20 hours per week this summer. Sorry for the brag, but I felt the need to share this since no one in real life cares about the LSAT. I was afraid that I would never break 170 on a PT because the logic games were so intimidating. 7sage and this forum have really helped me with that and I can't wait to get to -0.
That's awesome, congratulations! Know exactly what you mean about no-one caring about the LSAT in real life. I've given up on talking about it completely - one of the main reasons I come on here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue May 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:How is the prep coming along in this group?
It's ok, made a lukewarm start last week. Doing some work now ahead of my first PT since December on Sunday. Will make a schedule after that

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Tue May 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:How is the prep coming along in this group?
I'm working off the daily 4-month LSAT Study Guide from LSAT Blog; started Day 1 today. I'm also unemployed at the moment (after a minor stint in Japan -- barely anyone knows I came back), so I really have nothing to do but study, jog, and play sudoku.

On that note, does anyone have any opinion/comment/first-hand experience on being unemployed and studying for the LSAT? Do you think 6+ months of unemployment would look bad on LOCI down the road for BigLaw and such? I'm hoping to get back into the game by Nov/Dec after applications, but I'm really hoping it won't hurt me (or if it does, it won't hurt me as much as a shitty LSAT score/loans would).

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:07 pm

mornincounselor wrote:the window/aisle conditional game
f*** that game

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Tue May 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:the window/aisle conditional game
f*** that game
What are you doing in this thread? Got lost lol ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Hey all, I'm new here.

I've been reading TLS for a while though, and have started to study. I'm taking the September LSAT and will apply in fall too.

As always, I feel woefully inadequate after reading through this thread, you all are amazing.

I took my cold diagnostic today and scored a 155. RC was my best section, LG was my worst.
I know it looks bad, but I am very confident that with rigorous self-studying I will be able to get it up. The goal is 170+.

I am currently working through Superprep (just about done) and will start Powerscore LG Bible when it arrives (On Friday... practice questions till then).

Do you guys think its advisable to spend time focusing on LG? Or is that stupid, and I should holistically focus my efforts.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Tue May 27, 2014 7:42 pm

kbrizz wrote:Hey all, I'm new here.

I've been reading TLS for a while though, and have started to study. I'm taking the September LSAT and will apply in fall too.

As always, I feel woefully inadequate after reading through this thread, you all are amazing.

I took my cold diagnostic today and scored a 155. RC was my best section, LG was my worst.
I know it looks bad, but I am very confident that with rigorous self-studying I will be able to get it up. The goal is 170+.

I am currently working through Superprep (just about done) and will start Powerscore LG Bible when it arrives (On Friday... practice questions till then).

Do you guys think its advisable to spend time focusing on LG? Or is that stupid, and I should holistically focus my efforts.
Welcome!!! Your diagnostic was awesome because LG are very easy to improve on, and with bible, and some hard work you are looking at a decent increase! :)

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Tue May 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Welcome!!! Your diagnostic was awesome because LG are very easy to improve on, and with bible, and some hard work you are looking at a decent increase! :)

I really can't tell you how encouraging that is! Thank you very much. I didn't expect to struggle with LG as much, but it's good to know that they are easy to improve on.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Tue May 27, 2014 7:51 pm

kbrizz wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

I really can't tell you how encouraging that is! Thank you very much. I didn't expect to struggle with LG as much, but it's good to know that they are easy to improve on.
You won't have hard time achieving 165 depending on how well, and soon you pick up on LG :)

The fact that RC is your best section is very encouraging as well because RC in 60s is super hard!!!! Lurk around june and june retakers thread and see for yourself :). In short, you are on a good path…

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

evolution

New

Post by evolution » Tue May 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
kbrizz wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

You won't have hard time achieving 165 depending on how well, and soon you pick up on LG :)

The fact that RC is your best section is very encouraging as well because RC in 60s is super hard!!!! Lurk around june and june retakers thread and see for yourself :). In short, you are on a good path…
I haven't touched any RC's in the 60s, but by harder, what do you mean? I find for the older ones, the majority of the questions always have some sort of textual support from the passage. So is the 60s more along the lines of inferring what's being said?

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Wed May 28, 2014 11:44 am

Drilled all of level 1 Nec. Assumption questions this morning (76 total) -- missed 3 total, which I am not happy about it. The wrong answers were due to missing small pieces of info because of mis-reading. Now I am making sure I know exactly what I am reading, because wrong answers are wrong answers even if it is a stupid mistake.

I am going to read through the Flaw chapter in MLSAT and the Trainer tomorrow. Then drill flaw and the rest of the nec. assumption questions together.

itsallinthesauce

New

Post by itsallinthesauce » Wed May 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:Drilled all of level 1 Nec. Assumption questions this morning (76 total) -- missed 3 total, which I am not happy about it. The wrong answers were due to missing small pieces of info because of mis-reading. Now I am making sure I know exactly what I am reading, because wrong answers are wrong answers even if it is a stupid mistake.

I am going to read through the Flaw chapter in MLSAT and the Trainer tomorrow. Then drill flaw and the rest of the nec. assumption questions together.

You went through 76 questions before 8:40 am? Did you wake up at 6 in the morning? Jesus

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Wed May 28, 2014 1:25 pm

itsallinthesauce wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:Drilled all of level 1 Nec. Assumption questions this morning (76 total) -- missed 3 total, which I am not happy about it. The wrong answers were due to missing small pieces of info because of mis-reading. Now I am making sure I know exactly what I am reading, because wrong answers are wrong answers even if it is a stupid mistake.

You went through 76 questions before 8:40 am? Did you wake up at 6 in the morning? Jesus
Ha well I am in Mountain time so it was 9:30 when I finished up. I try to start my study at 7:30 and finish up at 9:30, then I do 2 more hours in the afternoon. I am naturally a morning person, and by naturally I mean I have kids, so waking up early is an axiomatic element of my wife and I's parenting experience. And they were level 1 questions so I was trying to get through each one in ~45 seconds.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”