The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
P.J.Fry

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by P.J.Fry » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:43 pm

sfoglia wrote:
I loved the "talk-story'! I studied Kingston, so I spent an inordinately long time reading the passage out of sheer interest. Familiarity a detriment.

I haven't reviewed yet... I'll get back to you if I see something specific about that question.

Good luck! Hoping better for you!!
Funny how that works. I was a business major and had taken plenty of econ classes. I breezed through the econ passage and questions like nothing (good thing because I was limited on time after struggling through Kingston).

Familiarity undoubtedly has an effect, though it can go either way.

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:47 pm

In PT36 today I got so distracted by the first RC passage, the one about online communities focused on particular topics. Favorite line: "Advocates claim that these computer conferences...function as communities that can substitute for traditional interactions with neighbors." Kept thinking about TLS and laughing.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:53 pm

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:53 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
I loved the "talk-story'! I studied Kingston, so I spent an inordinately long time reading the passage out of sheer interest. Familiarity a detriment.

I haven't reviewed yet... I'll get back to you if I see something specific about that question.

Good luck! Hoping better for you!!
Funny how that works. I was a business major and had taken plenty of econ classes. I breezed through the econ passage and questions like nothing (good thing because I was limited on time after struggling through Kingston).

Familiarity undoubtedly has an effect, though it can go either way.
Yeah, I guess you're right. On passages I'm familiar with apart from literature (like science), it tends to be a bonus. But because I love literary criticism, I not only want to read the passage overly thoroughly, but I also start to make connections that are entirely unnecessary (e.g. for Kingston I began thinking about when I read Woman Warrior, and the short essay I wrote on "talk-story").

So, I had less than five minutes left for the econ passage, and it definitely showed! Tulips, ugh.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:56 pm

BJS wrote:In PT36 today I got so distracted by the first RC passage, the one about online communities focused on particular topics. Favorite line: "Advocates claim that these computer conferences...function as communities that can substitute for traditional interactions with neighbors." Kept thinking about TLS and laughing.
I wanna do that one!
smccgrey wrote:In LG 2, there was an character name Kayne who was going to be an ambassador, and I kept thinking what a terrible ambassador Kanye West would make.
I definitely would have thought to myself, "Imma let you finish, but this LG is the best LG of all timeeeee," and started giggling uncontrollably. Because I am twelve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:00 pm

smccgrey wrote:yeah PT 55 made me buy MLSAT RC and a drilling book hahaha I was so traumatized.
hey grey what did you think of the manhattan RC book? If I'm struggling with RC you think its worth it? I 've already got the LSAT trainer.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:05 pm

Finished PT 48.

LR 1 - -5
LG - -4
RC - -5
LR 2- -3

Overall: 84/101.
Score: 163

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get better? This is so disheartening, I've literally just been grounded in the low-mid 160's since mid July, with each of my PT's ranging from 161-165, usually getting a 163/164.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:09 pm

This Q got buried pages back, bump
how many times should one drill cambridge packets for tests 1-20? do you do a question type more than once during one drilling pass through the package?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:36 pm

smccgrey wrote:
flash21 wrote:
smccgrey wrote:yeah PT 55 made me buy MLSAT RC and a drilling book hahaha I was so traumatized.
hey grey what did you think of the manhattan RC book? If I'm struggling with RC you think its worth it? I 've already got the LSAT trainer.
I liked it. Gave me some strategies that I have found useful. I haven't tried anything else though.
IMHO trainer >>>MLSAT RC

The trainer teaches a very elastic approach to RC, whereas MLSAT is more rigid

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:57 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
Okay, just went -0 on an old LG section, now on to 15 LR, and then test. Then shopping if I do well. Because, treats.

Where is your go to shop stop?
I do need grocery shopping, but I actually was going to go browse shoes. I didn't do well, so maybe I should make grocery shopping my punishment.

PT 55
LR1: -3
LR Experimental.: -3
RC: -6 WTFFDUIHRHRB. This is my best section. I am so angry at myself. I ran out of time, but it doesn't matter. I am soooo mad. I want to light a bonfire, throw this stupid facking test into it, then drink whiskey until it's dark while having someone Marlboro cowboy play the harmonica blues on a log next to me. Crackle, crackle, cicada, sadness.
LR2: -3
LG: -2

I've been consistently at -2 for each section, so, this is definitely a step backward. I'm going to have to double my studying.
What did you think of games on pt55. I just drilled the section and thot the last one was pretty tough, I went -2 also. I go -0 95% of the time when drilling lg sections?

Edit: or anyone else who wants to chime in about lg on pt 55

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:00 pm

jmjm wrote:This Q got buried pages back, bump
how many times should one drill cambridge packets for tests 1-20? do you do a question type more than once during one drilling pass through the package?

I just drill Til i feel comfortable. Honestly there are some question types I haven't even drilled bc I haven't missed that type in any PTs or sections. There are
Some I devoted a lot more attention to, namely weaken strengthen and necessary assumption.

mmorrell94

New

Post by mmorrell94 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:12 pm

55 was the one with the bus stop game right? I actually ended up going -0, but almost ran out of time. Overall I thought the test was brutal though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bamfrosty

New

Post by bamfrosty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Took my first PT (66) since a 176 in May. Was feeling great until I got to games and got a -5, which took me down to a 173. Anybody have any advice for learning how to handle the logic games on the newer tests? I was consistently hitting -2 on most sections in the 40s/50s.

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:33 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:BJS -- according to an old LSAT q, "magnanimous behavior" is beneficial for the immune system. So you can add that to the echinacea, fluids, and sleep Rx :)
Honestly, though, are LR questions (especially the ones that reference studies) ever legit or does LSAC just make it all up? I seriously need to know, because I have studied more LR recently than any other material. Can I reference this information in real life conversations?

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:50 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
I do need grocery shopping, but I actually was going to go browse shoes. I didn't do well, so maybe I should make grocery shopping my punishment.

PT 55
RC: -6 WTFFDUIHRHRB. This is my best section. I am so angry at myself. I ran out of time, but it doesn't matter. I am soooo mad. I want to light a bonfire, throw this stupid facking test into it, then drink whiskey until it's dark while having someone Marlboro cowboy play the harmonica blues on a log next to me. Crackle, crackle, cicada, sadness.

I've been consistently at -2 for each section, so, this is definitely a step backward. I'm going to have to double my studying.
What did you think of games on pt55. I just drilled the section and thot the last one was pretty tough, I went -2 also. I go -0 95% of the time when drilling lg sections?

I skipped the final question on that, since I did my games out of order and needed to leave enough time for the Mercocock study that preceded it. I got one wrong on that game, too. :/

But, I did find it pretty tough, because you had to balance so much information in your head. Like, "Okay, Jasmine is off the bus, which leaves Greg and Rosa, blahblah.

How did you diagram? I considered briefly doing a kind of grid where I'd have a space for each person still on the bus, but then I just defaulting to a 1:1, with one space for the person who got off at each stop. I'm not sure that even makes any sense, put into words.

I wasn't going to bother reviewing LG, but it's clear to me now that I really should look that game up on 7Sage and Odyssey. Thank you for mentioning!

(Edited to remove unnecessary quotes.)

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
sfoglia wrote:

PT 55

I skipped the final question on that, since I did my games out of order and needed to leave enough time for the Mercocock study that preceded it. I got one wrong on that game, too. :/

But, I did find it pretty tough, because you had to balance so much information in your head. Like, "Okay, Jasmine is off the bus, which leaves Greg and Rosa, blahblah.

How did you diagram? I considered briefly doing a kind of grid where I'd have a space for each person still on the bus, but then I just defaulting to a 1:1, with one space for the person who got off at each stop. I'm not sure that even makes any sense, put into words.

I wasn't going to bother reviewing LG, but it's clear to me now that I really should look that game up on 7Sage and Odyssey. Thank you for mentioning!

(Edited to remove unnecessary quotes.)
Yea I tried to diagram it with a double layer sequencing type thing and it just wasn't doing me any good. I ended up basically brute forcing it and holding a lot of info in my head. I missed the second one on that game. I also missed one on the sequencing game before it bc I said both R and T can't be 4th and not just T due to reading my diagram wrong.

Def look & 7sage bc he'll make u feel lie an idiot for not finishing the game in like 5 minutes. He does say it's one of the hardest LSAT games tho.

Which RC did you have the most trouble with. I just did the Kingston and economics passages after seeing you guys talk about them. I missed the weakening one on the Kingston passage. Haven't tried the first two yet.

And yes I split PT 55 all up for drilling. 57-72 are my true pt tests due to time constraints

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:03 pm

bamfrosty wrote:Took my first PT (66) since a 176 in May. Was feeling great until I got to games and got a -5, which took me down to a 173. Anybody have any advice for learning how to handle the logic games on the newer tests? I was consistently hitting -2 on most sections in the 40s/50s.
From the last few times it's been mentioned it seems like making sure to derive as many inferences at the beginning of the game before diving in seems to be helpful. I'm sure someone who has done more newer PTs can help more

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Checking in. Saved PT 61-72 for September. I've done 7sage curriculum and halfway through Trainer, do you guys think I should finish it up ASAP or sprinkle in chapters between PTs? Test day is coming up and I'm low 160s under timed conditions tryna gain 5 more points before test day.

Thanks, I've been reading the most recent pages and glad to get in on this. I hope we all hit our goals.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Checking in. Saved PT 61-72 for September. I've done 7sage curriculum and halfway through Trainer, do you guys think I should finish it up ASAP or sprinkle in chapters between PTs? Test day is coming up and I'm low 160s under timed conditions tryna gain 5 more points before test day.

Thanks, I've been reading the most recent pages and glad to get in on this. I hope we all hit our goals.
I would do the latter. I think fundamentals are important. But this close drilling and PTs are really important to get a feel for the test and iron out issues b4 game day. So mixing the two together is credited but others may have other points of view

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks Colonel. That reaffirms what I was thinking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

P.J.Fry

Bronze

Post by P.J.Fry » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:42 pm

The inconsistency is driving me nuts!

Just finished PT56
LR -5/-1
LG -2
RC -0
Scaled 173

compared to PT55 yesterday
LR -1/-0
LG -4
RC -4
Scaled 170

Why can't I just pull everything together at once? Maybe I'm just saving it for test day...

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:00 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:The inconsistency is driving me nuts!

Just finished PT56
LR -5/-1
LG -2
RC -0
Scaled 173

LR -1/-0
LG -4
RC -4
Scaled 170

Why can't I just pull everything together at once? Maybe I'm just saving it for test day...
What's your opinion on the hardest part of lg 55, I just keep postin about it bc I just did the section

P.J.Fry

Bronze

Post by P.J.Fry » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:11 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
P.J.Fry wrote:The inconsistency is driving me nuts!

Just finished PT56
LR -5/-1
LG -2
RC -0
Scaled 173

LR -1/-0
LG -4
RC -4
Scaled 170

What's your opinion on the hardest part of lg 55, I just keep postin about it bc I just did the section
I will echo the sentiment of attempting to diagram the 4th game in a meaningful manner. I have not watched the 7Sage video yet, and I'm sure I'll feel dumb as soon as I do. I missed 2 questions on that game, just trying to brute force it in my head as you said.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Thanks Colonel.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”