The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
lawschoolhopeful15
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 am

famousblueraincoat wrote:Checking in! Signed up for the September test yesterday.

Quick question for everyone: I tried to self-study a few months ago in preparation for the June test, but it didn't go so well. Would taking the Summer TestMasters course be a good idea? I'm thinking that the structured environment will really help, especially since I'm also working full-time.

Also, how much prep should I be doing before/after/during the course? I plan on doing all of the assignments (which I hear are numerous), but I'm not sure if that would be enough for 170+.

I have the Trainer, the three PS bibles, and all previously administered LSATs (via Cambridge).


Disclaimer: I haven't taken a course so I could be wrong.

I have heard of people taking courses and supplementing those courses with additional prep tests via Cambridge or using the Cambridge packets to give them additional problems to work on....I'm not sure how much work goes into a Testmasters course though. Try searching through some of the old topics to see if anyone else had a similar questions...you may find better answers there.

User avatar
famousblueraincoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby famousblueraincoat » Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 am

lawschoolhopeful15 wrote:
famousblueraincoat wrote:Checking in! Signed up for the September test yesterday.

Quick question for everyone: I tried to self-study a few months ago in preparation for the June test, but it didn't go so well. Would taking the Summer TestMasters course be a good idea? I'm thinking that the structured environment will really help, especially since I'm also working full-time.

Also, how much prep should I be doing before/after/during the course? I plan on doing all of the assignments (which I hear are numerous), but I'm not sure if that would be enough for 170+.

I have the Trainer, the three PS bibles, and all previously administered LSATs (via Cambridge).


Disclaimer: I haven't taken a course so I could be wrong.

I have heard of people taking courses and supplementing those courses with additional prep tests via Cambridge or using the Cambridge packets to give them additional problems to work on....I'm not sure how much work goes into a Testmasters course though. Try searching through some of the old topics to see if anyone else had a similar questions...you may find better answers there.


Thanks! I did do some searching yesterday and found mixed reviews. It seems to depend on the type of learning environment you prefer and the assigned instructor. I couldn't find any reviews for the instructor I may be assigned to. The company has a pretty great rep on TLS. I was just concerned that it would be silly to spend $1450 if self-studying was an option but, like I said, it didn't really work out for me. Earth signs need structure :lol:

Can anyone recommend a tutor/prep company in South FL? Want to keep my options open.

Edit: Deciding to go with Blueprint!
Last edited by famousblueraincoat on Tue May 20, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue May 20, 2014 11:19 am

famousblueraincoat wrote:Checking in! Signed up for the September test yesterday.

Quick question for everyone: I tried to self-study a few months ago in preparation for the June test, but it didn't go so well. Would taking the Summer TestMasters course be a good idea? I'm thinking that the structured environment will really help, especially since I'm also working full-time.

Also, how much prep should I be doing before/after/during the course? I plan on doing all of the assignments (which I hear are numerous), but I'm not sure if that would be enough for 170+.

I have the Trainer, the three PS bibles, and all previously administered LSATs (via Cambridge).


We've discussed the merits of taking a course previously on this thread. If you have problems with self-study, then a course could be good. I think manhattan is credited though.

User avatar
itsallinthesauce
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby itsallinthesauce » Tue May 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Checking in for a second take after sitting for Dec. 2013 -- Finished the Trainer a few weeks ago, currently drilling by question type from the Cambridge packets...

I have:

-Manhattan LSAT books (RC, LR, LG)
-LSAT Trainer
-Cambridge LG & LR
-Full PT's 1-70

How many hrs is everyone trying to fit in/week? I'm trying to fit in 25-30/week but might have to amp it up a bit

I PEE EXCELLENCE
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby I PEE EXCELLENCE » Tue May 20, 2014 2:58 pm

How's it going everyone, UF rising senior checking in.

Quick question: in general, should I feel the need to take a prep class? I feel I would do better on my own, is it a given that one should take a prep class?

Also I just purchased the Manhattan Guide package as well as the prep tests 62-71, anyone else recommend any essentials?

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue May 20, 2014 3:03 pm

I PEE EXCELLENCE wrote:How's it going everyone, UF rising senior checking in.

Quick question: in general, should I feel the need to take a prep class? I feel I would do better on my own, is it a given that one should take a prep class?

Also I just purchased the Manhattan Guide package as well as the prep tests 62-71, anyone else recommend any essentials?


Cambridge packets. LSAT Trainer. Maybe PS LG bible. Download 7sage app. Use manhattan forums.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Straw_Mandible » Tue May 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey everyone! I just put the finishing touches on my PT schedule for September. I'm sharing it here for two reasons: 1) To see if anyone has any comments or suggestions, and 2) if anyone would like to follow this schedule with me and do group reviews.

Here's the basic rundown: I will take PTs 55 - 71 each Saturday from May 31 through Sept 20. From now until the third week in July, I will be doing targeted drilling/review of Cambridge packets (to address my weaknesses, as identified by recent PTs) on weekdays before/after work. From the third week in July through the week before the test, I will drill timed sections of early (pre- June 2007) PTs, one per day during the week--saving Fridays for untimed drilling, and Sundays for review.

Edit: I will choose experimental sections from the remaining (pre-51.5) PTs on an ad hoc basis, to target my weaknesses.

PT Schedule, Sept 2014 wrote:May:
Week …… Targeted drilling
SAT (5/31) …… PT 55 (4 Section)

June:
Week …… Targeted drilling
SAT (6/7) …… PT 56 + Exp. __ Section (5 Section)

Week …… Targeted drilling
SAT (6/14) …… PT 57 + Exp. __ Section (5 Section)

Week …… Targeted drilling
SAT (6/21) …… PT 58 + Exp. __ Section (5 Section)

Week …… Targeted drilling
SAT (6/28) …… PT 59 + Exp. __ Section (5 Section)

July:
Week …… Targeted drilling
SAT (7/5) …… PT 60 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… Targeted drilling
SAT (7/12) …… PT 61 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… SuperPrep B` (timed sections)
SAT (7/19) …… PT 62 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… SuperPrep C` (timed sections)
SAT (7/26) …… PT 63 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

August:
Week …… PT 39` (timed sections)
SAT (8/2) …… PT 64 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… PT 40` (timed sections)
SAT (8/9) …… PT 65 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… PT 42` (timed sections)
SAT (8/16) …… PT 66 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… PT 43` (timed sections)
SAT (8/23) …… PT 67 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… PT 44` (timed sections)
SAT (8/30) …… PT 68 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

September:
Week …… PT 50` (timed sections)
SAT (9/6) …… PT 69 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

Week …… PT 51` (timed sections)
SAT (9/13) …… PT 70 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

*Power Retake Week* – Toughest sections from any recent PT (52 - 70)
SAT (9/20) …… PT 71 + Exp. __ and __ (6 Section)

THU (9/25) …… *Confidence Retake* – Favorite PT of all time
FRI (9/26) …… Light review and relaxation
SAT (9/27) …… The day we all dominate PT 73!


User avatar
lawschoolhopeful15
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:28 pm

How many prep tests is everyone planning on doing between now and September? I'm thinking one or two a week maybe a little more if I have enough time. Does that sound about right? Or should I plan on 3-4. I'm also using the Cambridge packets to drill question types as I go through the Manhattan books...started with the bibles but I like the Manhattan methods a little more.

Straw_Mandible
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Straw_Mandible » Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 pm

lawschoolhopeful15 wrote:How many prep tests is everyone planning on doing between now and September? I'm thinking one or two a week maybe a little more if I have enough time. Does that sound about right? Or should I plan on 3-4. I'm also using the Cambridge packets to drill question types as I go through the Manhattan books...started with the bibles but I like the Manhattan methods a little more.


Personally, I'd recommend spreading out PTs as much as you can, so that you have enough time to thoroughly review, assess your weaknesses, and drill question types in between. My philosophy is that a PT should be more of a benchmark, less of a brute-force study tool. But others swear by the backload/crank-em-out technique, so to each his own.

ETA: It also depends on when you plan to start PTing.

User avatar
lawschoolhopeful15
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:
lawschoolhopeful15 wrote:How many prep tests is everyone planning on doing between now and September? I'm thinking one or two a week maybe a little more if I have enough time. Does that sound about right? Or should I plan on 3-4. I'm also using the Cambridge packets to drill question types as I go through the Manhattan books...started with the bibles but I like the Manhattan methods a little more.


Personally, I'd recommend spreading out PTs as much as you can, so that you have enough time to thoroughly review, assess your weaknesses, and drill question types in between. My philosophy is that a PT should be more of a benchmark, less of a brute-force study tool. But others swear by the backload/crank-em-out technique, so to each his own.



This is exactly what I'm contemplating. Guess I'll stick with one per week and see how my scores go. I guess this is what you get for waiting until 3 months before to really crackdown on prep work. Thanks for the response!

I was planning my first prep test for this Saturday and I purchased preptests 39-70 from Cambridge so I have plenty.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue May 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Hey gang. Welcome to the new folks.

I got pretty slammed by assumption family drilling today. Going to do a mixed bag of strengthen, weaken, must be true, and assumption drilling tomorrow. Days like this help me to find motivation to ramp it up.

Someone asked how many hours we were studying. I schedule 23 hours a week to make sure I get at least 20 hours in, but this last semester for me doesn't get out until July 16. When that comes I'll be working ~30 hours a week and will be able to dedicate a solid 25-30 hours a week studying.

DestroyingTheLSAT
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby DestroyingTheLSAT » Tue May 20, 2014 11:54 pm

Checking in - nice to meet you all.

Going to start studying in June and got lots of material (PS all 3 bibles, MLSAT all guides, LSAT Trainer, and 1-38 of Cambridge). Will read previous posts to get up to date!!!

Is studying 8 hrs a day 6 days a week solid enough? Trying to get 175+ ... with a little less than 4 months of pure study.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 am

DestroyingTheLSAT wrote:Checking in - nice to meet you all.

Going to start studying in June and got lots of material (PS all 3 bibles, MLSAT all guides, LSAT Trainer, and 1-38 of Cambridge). Will read previous posts to get up to date!!!

Is studying 8 hrs a day 6 days a week solid enough? Trying to get 175+ ... with a little less than 4 months of pure study.


That's a lot of hours. Watch for burn out. It's very real.

User avatar
Calbears123
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Calbears123 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:11 am

DestroyingTheLSAT wrote:Checking in - nice to meet you all.

Going to start studying in June and got lots of material (PS all 3 bibles, MLSAT all guides, LSAT Trainer, and 1-38 of Cambridge). Will read previous posts to get up to date!!!

Is studying 8 hrs a day 6 days a week solid enough? Trying to get 175+ ... with a little less than 4 months of pure study.


Lol, this isn't a history test. 8 hours a day will melt your brain.

DestroyingTheLSAT
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby DestroyingTheLSAT » Wed May 21, 2014 2:06 am

haha true. Will aim for 5+ hrs a day and see if I can manage more. Ty for those reminders maybe I am in over my head.

User avatar
lawschoolhopeful15
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:20 am

DestroyingTheLSAT wrote:Checking in - nice to meet you all.

Going to start studying in June and got lots of material (PS all 3 bibles, MLSAT all guides, LSAT Trainer, and 1-38 of Cambridge). Will read previous posts to get up to date!!!

Is studying 8 hrs a day 6 days a week solid enough? Trying to get 175+ ... with a little less than 4 months of pure study.



Careful for burnout is TCR. If you really need to study that many hours at least make sure you break it up. Do two hours here then take a two hour break then do three hours here and take another break. Trying to sit down for 8 straight hours studying for this exam is really tough (speaking from experience). I have found that I retain more and understand more by studying less per day but focusing harder on the material rather than just trying to zip through it to get my 8 hours in.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Wed May 21, 2014 11:46 am

BillPackets wrote:
DestroyingTheLSAT wrote:Checking in - nice to meet you all.

Going to start studying in June and got lots of material (PS all 3 bibles, MLSAT all guides, LSAT Trainer, and 1-38 of Cambridge). Will read previous posts to get up to date!!!

Is studying 8 hrs a day 6 days a week solid enough? Trying to get 175+ ... with a little less than 4 months of pure study.


That's a lot of hours. Watch for burn out. It's very real.

This is credited. It's not about the amount of hours you spend necessarily. Rather you need to have enough time to internalize the concepts so that they become second nature. If you study that hard for that much time I can't see you not getting burned out, and that would be counterproductive. I can't speak for everyone, but if you average 25 hours a week for 4 months, or 16 weeks, you will have about 400 hours of study. If you ensure that those hours are at least 95% effective (let's be honest not all of our study is as beneficial as it ought to be) I can't imagine you not hitting your peak.

This is certainly not a blanket statement, though. I have read of people who spend many more hours studying and they increase the entire time.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed May 21, 2014 11:54 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Wed May 21, 2014 2:09 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I found a super weird problem. It asks for a flaw. But the correct choice isn't a flaw. The question is PT 17-3-7 and the correct choice (E) says: "It does not examine the possibility that Jerome's behavior is adequately explained by the reason he gives for it." While this is true, and clearly the correct choice, how can the flaw of the argument be a lack of flaw?


I don't interpret that as a lack of a flaw. I don't have the question in front of me, but I remember the stimulus. Jerome's friend asks him to go to the mountains or something, and Jerome says he can't because he needs to work (or something along those lines). The conclusion is that Jerome must by lying bc he always uses that excuse. The flaw might be something like a reverse "piece =\= puzzle", where Jerome's friend is assuming that Jerome's excuse is invalid bc Jerome always uses it. In fact, the piece could be the puzzle, or Jerome's excuse could be valid. The friend rejects it out of hand. Hence, answer choice E.

User avatar
AOT
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby AOT » Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 pm

This feels like my millionth "checking in" post (sat December, was going to retake in Feb, then June, now September). Scored in the high 160's, looking for a comfortable 170's score this time round.

Started studying again this week. Got the trainer. Will do one PT each Saturday, then spend Sunday reviewing. Definitely finding it difficult to get the hours in. Want to focus on "studying smart", and working on my weaknesses. Will use the approach of beginning at the beginning, to make sure that my method is straight, and that I'm not cutting corners/missing things which has cost me in the past. Also making sure that I do TIMED practice, with a watch.

Anyway: Hi Everyone. Look forward to subjecting you all to my complaining/bursts of stream of consciousness over the next few months.

User avatar
vracovino
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby vracovino » Wed May 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:Hey gang. Welcome to the new folks.

I got pretty slammed by assumption family drilling today. Going to do a mixed bag of strengthen, weaken, must be true, and assumption drilling tomorrow. Days like this help me to find motivation to ramp it up.

Someone asked how many hours we were studying. I schedule 23 hours a week to make sure I get at least 20 hours in, but this last semester for me doesn't get out until July 16. When that comes I'll be working ~30 hours a week and will be able to dedicate a solid 25-30 hours a week studying.


How long have you been studying for? Just curious. I started studying about a week ago and am following Pithypike's guide. I struggle with the level 3/4 assumption questions quite a bit. Are assumption questions generally considered harder than the other question types? I suppose I'm still very much getting acquainted to the test, but its pretty discouraging nonetheless.

DestroyingTheLSAT
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby DestroyingTheLSAT » Wed May 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
DestroyingTheLSAT wrote:Checking in - nice to meet you all.

Going to start studying in June and got lots of material (PS all 3 bibles, MLSAT all guides, LSAT Trainer, and 1-38 of Cambridge). Will read previous posts to get up to date!!!

Is studying 8 hrs a day 6 days a week solid enough? Trying to get 175+ ... with a little less than 4 months of pure study.


That's a lot of hours. Watch for burn out. It's very real.

This is credited. It's not about the amount of hours you spend necessarily. Rather you need to have enough time to internalize the concepts so that they become second nature. If you study that hard for that much time I can't see you not getting burned out, and that would be counterproductive. I can't speak for everyone, but if you average 25 hours a week for 4 months, or 16 weeks, you will have about 400 hours of study. If you ensure that those hours are at least 95% effective (let's be honest not all of our study is as beneficial as it ought to be) I can't imagine you not hitting your peak.

This is certainly not a blanket statement, though. I have read of people who spend many more hours studying and they increase the entire time.


Yup ... I agree thanks! I am going to take it up in chunks for sure. Probably like 2-3 hours, hit the gym, dinner and 3-4 more.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Wed May 21, 2014 5:40 pm

vracovino wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:Hey gang. Welcome to the new folks.

I got pretty slammed by assumption family drilling today. Going to do a mixed bag of strengthen, weaken, must be true, and assumption drilling tomorrow. Days like this help me to find motivation to ramp it up.

Someone asked how many hours we were studying. I schedule 23 hours a week to make sure I get at least 20 hours in, but this last semester for me doesn't get out until July 16. When that comes I'll be working ~30 hours a week and will be able to dedicate a solid 25-30 hours a week studying.


How long have you been studying for? Just curious. I started studying about a week ago and am following Pithypike's guide. I struggle with the level 3/4 assumption questions quite a bit. Are assumption questions generally considered harder than the other question types? I suppose I'm still very much getting acquainted to the test, but its pretty discouraging nonetheless.

I think the assumption family questions are generally viewed as the more difficult bunch. I've been studying about a month.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], beancounter15, Blueprint Mithun, Instrumental, littlewing67, LSATSidekick, Tazewell, Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 13 guests