The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:26 pm

sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:PT 65:

LR 1: -0
LG: -0
RC: -0
LR 2: -0

Even though I 180ed it didn't feel good. Overall I was very unsure on TWO questions, which really didn't sit well with me. On game day I went to be 100% confident on each question I do, even in the experimental. I'm going to practice the writing section for the remainder of the day.


What is this? Like a 200?


I'm pretty sure -0 on pt65 equated to a 164.

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:29 pm

So, I just got out of bed now at 5pm. I couldn't sleep last night, and I'm very sad, my hair looks stupid, I just need to cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's, it's too difficult being a woman, nobody loves me, I haven't gone on a date in so long, and oh my god I'm going to be pre-menstrual on the test day!!!!!!!

Does this mean I get accommodations?

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:00 pm

sfoglia wrote:So, I just got out of bed now at 5pm. I couldn't sleep last night, and I'm very sad, my hair looks stupid, I just need to cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's, it's too difficult being a woman, nobody loves me, I haven't gone on a date in so long, and oh my god I'm going to be pre-menstrual on the test day!!!!!!!

Does this mean I get accommodations?


I love you

h3jk5h
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby h3jk5h » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:04 pm

BillPackets wrote:PT 65:

LR 1: -0
LG: -0
RC: -0
LR 2: -0

Even though I 180ed it didn't feel good. Overall I was very unsure on TWO questions, which really didn't sit well with me. On game day I went to be 100% confident on each question I do, even in the experimental. I'm going to practice the writing section for the remainder of the day.



That's bad news buddy. Being unsure on TWO questions on the LSAT is a recipe for disaster.

You scored only 180? What a loser...


All joking aside, I hope you perform the same on the actual.

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby CFC1524 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 pm

h3jk5h wrote:
BillPackets wrote:PT 65:

LR 1: -0
LG: -0
RC: -0
LR 2: -0

Even though I 180ed it didn't feel good. Overall I was very unsure on TWO questions, which really didn't sit well with me. On game day I went to be 100% confident on each question I do, even in the experimental. I'm going to practice the writing section for the remainder of the day.



That's bad news buddy. Being unsure on TWO questions on the LSAT is a recipe for disaster.

You scored only 180? What a loser...


All joking aside, I hope you perform the same on the actual.


Reasonably certain Bill posted that satirically

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:18 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
h3jk5h wrote:
BillPackets wrote:PT 65:

LR 1: -0
LG: -0
RC: -0
LR 2: -0

Even though I 180ed it didn't feel good. Overall I was very unsure on TWO questions, which really didn't sit well with me. On game day I went to be 100% confident on each question I do, even in the experimental. I'm going to practice the writing section for the remainder of the day.



That's bad news buddy. Being unsure on TWO questions on the LSAT is a recipe for disaster.

You scored only 180? What a loser...


All joking aside, I hope you perform the same on the actual.


Reasonably certain Bill posted that satirically


Reasonably certain h3jk5h posted that satirically

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Louis1127 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:18 pm

sfoglia wrote:So, I just got out of bed now at 5pm. I couldn't sleep last night, and I'm very sad, my hair looks stupid, I just need to cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's, it's too difficult being a woman, nobody loves me, I haven't gone on a date in so long, and oh my god I'm going to be pre-menstrual on the test day!!!!!!!

Does this mean I get accommodations?

Do u want to go out on a date sometime?

Also, no one's hair looks good right out of bed, so no reason for that to make you sad :mrgreen:

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby CFC1524 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:23 pm

flash21 wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:
h3jk5h wrote:
BillPackets wrote:PT 65:

LR 1: -0
LG: -0
RC: -0
LR 2: -0

Even though I 180ed it didn't feel good. Overall I was very unsure on TWO questions, which really didn't sit well with me. On game day I went to be 100% confident on each question I do, even in the experimental. I'm going to practice the writing section for the remainder of the day.



That's bad news buddy. Being unsure on TWO questions on the LSAT is a recipe for disaster.

You scored only 180? What a loser...


All joking aside, I hope you perform the same on the actual.


Reasonably certain Bill posted that satirically


Reasonably certain h3jk5h posted that satirically


Bolded seems to suggest he thought he actually got a 180...

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby CFC1524 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:25 pm

BJS wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:......not sure if troll



See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... humblebrag

https://mobile.twitter.com/humblebrag

For additional information, also see: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/fa ... d=all&_r=0


:oops: :oops: I am sorry!! I was excited about my score and I enjoy posting my results here because it keeps me accountable to PTing. I thought posting PT results here was acceptable. I also know that this doesn't reflect my PT average AT ALL and my average - which is just around 170 - isn't good enough.


:roll: :roll:

In all seriousness, though, definitely keep up the good work and definitely come here and post your scores. I always get encouraged / motivated when I see people are doing well - the LSAT is tough, but studying for it together certainly makes things easier

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
I love you

Louis1127 wrote:Do u want to go out on a date sometime?

Also, no one's hair looks good right out of bed, so no reason for that to make you sad :mrgreen:


Aww, you're both very nice.


Louis, if you score high enough on your LSAT, then we can date.


Love always,
Image

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 pm

I did PT34 LG4 as a warmup this morning and the rules really frustrated me. The rules indicated that one of the rules (#3) was impossible, but I had never seen an LG rule that could not occur. Does this occur anywhere else in PT LG history?

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
BJS wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
smccgrey wrote:......not sure if troll



See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... humblebrag

https://mobile.twitter.com/humblebrag

For additional information, also see: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/fa ... d=all&_r=0


:oops: :oops: I am sorry!! I was excited about my score and I enjoy posting my results here because it keeps me accountable to PTing. I thought posting PT results here was acceptable. I also know that this doesn't reflect my PT average AT ALL and my average - which is just around 170 - isn't good enough.


:roll: :roll:

In all seriousness, though, definitely keep up the good work and definitely come here and post your scores. I always get encouraged / motivated when I see people are doing well - the LSAT is tough, but studying for it together certainly makes things easier


Yeah, being able to come here and see others studying hard too makes me feel better and motivates me to keep trucking along. No one in my real life quite understands and they all seem to think that just getting into any school is fine.

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 pm

hillz wrote:
CFC1524 wrote: :roll: :roll:

In all seriousness, though, definitely keep up the good work and definitely come here and post your scores. I always get encouraged / motivated when I see people are doing well - the LSAT is tough, but studying for it together certainly makes things easier


Yeah, being able to come here and see others studying hard too makes me feel better and motivates me to keep trucking along. No one in my real life quite understands and they all seem to think that just getting into any school is fine.


No lie smcc is my target. Her PTs give me so much motivation, because I know if I can come within five points of her (on a PT or real test) I have done my best.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:39 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
I love you

Louis1127 wrote:Do u want to go out on a date sometime?

Also, no one's hair looks good right out of bed, so no reason for that to make you sad :mrgreen:


Aww, you're both very nice.


Louis, if you score high enough on your LSAT, then we can date.


Love always,
Image


THIS IS THE MOST 180 EVER OMG INSERT CLAPPING HAND EMOJI HERE BRAVO BRAVO Y

YOU WIN FOREVER

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 pm

sfoglia wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
I love you

Louis1127 wrote:Do u want to go out on a date sometime?

Also, no one's hair looks good right out of bed, so no reason for that to make you sad :mrgreen:


Aww, you're both very nice.


Louis, if you score high enough on your LSAT, then we can date.


Love always,
Image


#dayfuckingmade

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:53 pm

All my posts will always aspire to be as funny as the j crew satire.

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:00 pm

I decided to start cutting down my time. I did this PT with 33 minutes a section. On the second half, my roommate started blasting his tv show, so it threw me off a bit, but good practice for the actual thing.

PT 63 June 2000 LR exp 93/101, 172

LR 1 -2
LG -2
LR Exp -2
Lr 2 -3
RC -2

I can't believe that 63 has a 10/9 point curve. I'm hoping for a 13+ curve come Sept.

Also, no matter how well I do, I always feel awful about my score during the test.

Now time to eat junk food, watch tv and play video games all day.

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:I decided to start cutting down my time. I did this PT with 33 minutes a section. On the second half, my roommate started blasting his tv show, so it threw me off a bit, but good practice for the actual thing.

PT 63 June 2000 LR exp 93/101, 172

LR 1 -2
LG -2
LR Exp -2
Lr 2 -3
RC -2

I can't believe that 63 has a 10/9 point curve. I'm hoping for a 13+ curve come Sept.

Also, no matter how well I do, I always feel awful about my score during the test.

Now time to eat junk food, watch tv and play video games all day.


How did the timing impact you? Did you speed up your process, have less time for review, or have to make quick guesses as time ran out?

jmjm
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jmjm » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm

anyone understand 1.lr1.q4, the question about military deterrence? missed it while doing it today after spending 4+ minutes. i was between A and D forever. ruled out D because the benefit of letting potential aggressors become aware of retaliatory powers can be offset by other negatives and overall it may not be in the interests of the nation.

i am not sure why A is wrong because "reason to think" can be seen as "certain knowledge" in choice A.

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 pm

BJS wrote:
NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:I decided to start cutting down my time. I did this PT with 33 minutes a section. On the second half, my roommate started blasting his tv show, so it threw me off a bit, but good practice for the actual thing.

PT 63 June 2000 LR exp 93/101, 172

LR 1 -2
LG -2
LR Exp -2
Lr 2 -3
RC -2

I can't believe that 63 has a 10/9 point curve. I'm hoping for a 13+ curve come Sept.

Also, no matter how well I do, I always feel awful about my score during the test.

Now time to eat junk food, watch tv and play video games all day.


How did the timing impact you? Did you speed up your process, have less time for review, or have to make quick guesses as time ran out?


For LR not at all. I found that my first answer choice is usually right, and if I second guess myself, it throws off my other questions. So timing isn't an issue there. It may be on test day, but not currently.

For LG, I have to buckle down. I'll catch myself sorta drifting off and when I'm passive for even a second on LG, I struggle. If I'm not attacking the game, I'll run out of time.

The surprise was on RC. I checked my watch after the first game and I realized that I was behind and had to start moving. I usually can relax more on RC when I had the full time.

By relax and attack, I don't mean I'm just staring off into space, or writing furiously, its kinda just a feeling like I'm actively going after the test and moving quickly or just being passive and thinking through the question. Hard to explain, but I hope that covers it.

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:46 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:For LR not at all. I found that my first answer choice is usually right, and if I second guess myself, it throws off my other questions. So timing isn't an issue there. It may be on test day, but not currently.

For LG, I have to buckle down. I'll catch myself sorta drifting off and when I'm passive for even a second on LG, I struggle. If I'm not attacking the game, I'll run out of time.

The surprise was on RC. I checked my watch after the first game and I realized that I was behind and had to start moving. I usually can relax more on RC when I had the full time.

By relax and attack, I don't mean I'm just staring off into space, or writing furiously, its kinda just a feeling like I'm actively going after the test and moving quickly or just being passive and thinking through the question. Hard to explain, but I hope that covers it.


This makes sense, thank you! Do you feel like the experiment was useful in prep? Are you going to stay at the reduced time, go back to 35, or continue to reduce?

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby CFC1524 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:04 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
By relax and attack, I don't mean I'm just staring off into space, or writing furiously, its kinda just a feeling like I'm actively going after the test and moving quickly or just being passive and thinking through the question. Hard to explain, but I hope that covers it.


I agree 110% with this. I sometimes end up just "thinking about" the answers choices instead of actively trying to eliminate wrong ones and find the right one. Happens on LG occasionally (look for magical inference instead of just making 1-2 hypothetical to eliminate the wrong options), but much more often on RC (debate two options in my head instead of just re-reading the passage to find the answer).

Finished PT 57 today:
LR 1: -7
LR 2: -2
LG: -2 (those damn time-killing dinosaurs)
RC: -0

90 / 101 = 170. Obviously happy with the score, but I'm starting to get mildly annoyed (read: unbelievably angry) with my LR sections. This is the third PT in a row where I've gotten -8 combined, but each time I've done significantly worse on one section than the other (the first was -6, -2; the other was also -7, -1). Any thoughts? Is this just a sign of bad fundamentals? Should I pick up a LR guide from manhattan, or is there a quicker / easier fix?

When I review, I typically go, "oh, wow, what was I thinking. Obviously this is the right answer, and obviously my original answer as wrong." I'm thinking the problem is related to a lack of consistent concentration - anyone have experience with this / have a good strategy to be mentally-sharp for each, individual question?

User avatar
hetookmetoamovie
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 pm

hillz wrote:
Yeah, being able to come here and see others studying hard too makes me feel better and motivates me to keep trucking along. No one in my real life quite understands and they all seem to think that just getting into any school is fine.


I totally feel this way! I'm also conscious of how boring and dysfunctional I'm becoming, throwing out weird LSAT jargon and acronyms all the time, bitching about awkward wording in stimuli, obsessing over medians. It's such a relief and encouragement to come on this board and not have to translate/hide my sociopathy. Also you guys have wicked senses of humor and your GIF game is so strong. <3

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:10 pm

BillPackets wrote:All my posts will always aspire to be as funny as the j crew satire.


Ahhh, I feel a lot better now. Maybe tomorrow morning I will write the PT that I was planning to take today.

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:16 pm

BJS wrote:This makes sense, thank you! Do you feel like the experiment was useful in prep? Are you going to stay at the reduced time, go back to 35, or continue to reduce?


I'm taking another PT on Monday (I might as well use my day off for LSAT work) and I'm bumping it up to 35 because I'm using a new PT to be barometer for test day, but then I'm doing 33 and ultimately getting down to 30.

Last time I took the LSAT, the time I took it under 30 min conditions matched my test day score. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but whatever, it makes me feel better prepared.

CFC1524 wrote:When I review, I typically go, "oh, wow, what was I thinking. Obviously this is the right answer, and obviously my original answer as wrong." I'm thinking the problem is related to a lack of consistent concentration - anyone have experience with this / have a good strategy to be mentally-sharp for each, individual question?


This happened to me during studying for my first take. Have you tried syncho genesis? The Dec 2013 thread was obsessed with it, and once I took it, it solved my concentration issues and most of my silly mistakes. I highly recommend it. Thanks for the advice too, I feel like each LG question is linked to an inference on the game. If I know the link, the question takes two seconds.

Today is my school's version of Marathon Monday...I'm really missing undergrad right now.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], galeatus and 8 guests