The Official September 2014 Study Group

lawschoolhopeful15

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:06 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Also, blind review. You need to blind review. Basically do the questions, and then check your answers before actually looking at the right answer choices. Make sure you are 100% sure why each wrong answer is wrong and why each right answer is right. BR is also invaluable IMO.

Blind Review IMO is very important in your LSAT prep. If you can learn why you got any question wrong you can apply that knowledge to other questions later and learn from your mistakes. Without BR you can get lucky guessing questions right but there's no guarantee you'll be lucky on test day. Different books and different methods work better for different people. I looked through the trainer book and thought it had some very good material in it but due to the time span I'm going with the LSAT blog 3 month study plan plus I purchased the Cambridge packets as well as prep tests.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:09 pm

is there something out there that explains ALL the LR questions? i know I can use the 7Sage free videos to go over all the LG questions, but is there something like that for LR. does cambridge offer a package that offers the exams grouped by types AND their corresponding explanations?

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:10 pm

sorry for adding on, but is there a link for how to Blind Review.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:is there something out there that explains ALL the LR questions? i know I can use the 7Sage free videos to go over all the LG questions, but is there something like that for LR. does cambridge offer a package that offers the exams grouped by types AND their corresponding explanations?

The manhattan forums. Just google "manhattan forums." They explain pretty much every LR question back to PT 1. And if they don't, then you can ask them. Each question explained by an expert. And you can ask questions if you still don't understand something.

cherrypie

Postby cherrypie » Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:is there something out there that explains ALL the LR questions? i know I can use the 7Sage free videos to go over all the LG questions, but is there something like that for LR. does cambridge offer a package that offers the exams grouped by types AND their corresponding explanations?

Check out the Manhattan LSAT forums. There are explanations for almost all LR questions.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon May 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolhopeful15

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:15 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:sorry for adding on, but is there a link for how to Blind Review.

If you are using 7sage I believe he has a section about the blind review. He goes through how to do it and how to get in the habit of using the blind review...it should be listed on your syllabus on the 7sage website.

lawschoolhopeful15

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:17 pm

mornincounselor wrote:Definitely seeing real progress on the Advanced Linear Balanced games on the second run through the packet. Finishing a number of the games perfectly under 6 minutes. Had to still watch the video for a few games though. It still feels like a battle to drill these; I'm going for 10 today then starting another LR packet--flaws.

Are you using the Cambridge packets? Or a different type? My goal is to go through the schedule and supplement every section with Cambridge packets to drill like crazy until I'm near perfect on the sections....gotta get that 99th percentile...

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 3:20 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:sorry for adding on, but is there a link for how to Blind Review.

Bill Packets's Guide on How To Blind Review

1) drill questions
2) circle questions that you were not 100% on. That means 100% on why the answer is right, and 100% on why the wrong answers are wrong
3) after completing drill, BEFORE looking up the answers, review the questions you circled. Dissect them. Why did you choose the answer you chose? Why are the wrong answers wrong? You can change your answer at this point, but if you do, you still need that 100% certainty.
4) check the answer choices.
5) how did you do on the questions you circled? Did you get them right? Review them. Did you get them wrong? REVIEW THEM. Go to the manhattan forum. Did you fall for a certain trap? Did the language get you? Mislabel the premise and conclusion? Unsure of the flaw?

Also...

Make fresh copies of the questions you missed. Review them often. See if you constantly fall for a certain trap. See if you're constantly making the same mistakes. Review everyday. Review everyday. There is so much to learn from questions you got wrong.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 3:22 pm

mornincounselor wrote:Definitely seeing real progress on the Advanced Linear Balanced games on the second run through the packet. Finishing a number of the games perfectly under 6 minutes. Had to still watch the video for a few games though. It still feels like a battle to drill these; I'm going for 10 today then starting another LR packet--flaws.

Have you done any other types of games?

Regardless, fuck yeah. Oooooo kill em ooooo.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi guys, after researching TLS for a while today I think i've come up with a game plan to attack the LSAT in september. my Manhattan LSAT book is coming in tomorrow so I will kick off studying tomorrow. Can you please let me know what you think of this game plan?

Material: Manhattan LR (4th edition), Blueprint LG, Trainer for RC and LR(LR only for points that were unclear in Manhattan), Cambridge

Breakdown:

Month 1 LR (5/20-6/20): Manhattan LR + Cambridge
Main conclusion, Necessary + Sufficient Assumptions, Flaw, Strengthen + Weaken, Principle (Identify + Example + Apply), Paradox

Month 1 LG (5/20-6/20): Blueprint LG + Cambridge
Relative Ordering, Simple Ordering, Complex Ordering, In/Out Grouping, Grouping (Distribution)

Month 2 LR (6/21-7/21): Manhattan LR + Cambridge
Must be True, Most Strongly Supported, Complete the Passage, Cannot be True, Parallel (Reasoning + Flaw), Method (Argument + Straighten), Point

Month 2 LG (6-21-7/21): Blueprint LG + Cambridge
Determined and Undetermined Assignment, Miscellaneous, Limited Scenarios and Allocations

I will be doing a practice RC from 6/1-7/21 each day (meaning I would have gone through Manhattan RC by 6/1).

This would allow me to spend 2 months on drilling (as recommended in these threads), and about a 1.5 months for PTs each day.

What are the thoughts on this? Should I try to shorten the drill time and increase the PTs time? Should I move certain sections around? Any thoughts are appreciated.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:Hi guys, after researching TLS for a while today I think i've come up with a game plan to attack the LSAT in september. my Manhattan LSAT book is coming in tomorrow so I will kick off studying tomorrow. Can you please let me know what you think of this game plan?

Material: Manhattan LR (4th edition), Blueprint LG, Trainer for RC and LR(LR only for points that were unclear in Manhattan), Cambridge

Breakdown:

Main conclusion, Necessary + Sufficient Assumptions, Flaw, Strengthen + Weaken, Principle (Identify + Example + Apply), Paradox

Relative Ordering, Simple Ordering, Complex Ordering, In/Out Grouping, Grouping (Distribution)

Must be True, Most Strongly Supported, Complete the Passage, Cannot be True, Parallel (Reasoning + Flaw), Method (Argument + Straighten), Point

Determined and Undetermined Assignment, Miscellaneous, Limited Scenarios and Allocations

I will be doing a practice RC from 6/1-7/21 each day (meaning I would have gone through Manhattan RC by 6/1).

This would allow me to spend 2 months on drilling (as recommended in these threads), and about a 1.5 months for PTs each day.

What are the thoughts on this? Should I try to shorten the drill time and increase the PTs time? Should I move certain sections around? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Are you going to be studying full time?

johmica

Postby johmica » Mon May 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Just registered for the September test. My second go at it. First try, I scored a 171. I've taken two timed PT's so far this time around, and I've scored a 178 and a 175. Thinking about buying Kim's LSAT Trainer to help me push my score a couple of points higher.

lawschoolhopeful15

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:33 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:Hi guys, after researching TLS for a while today I think i've come up with a game plan to attack the LSAT in september. my Manhattan LSAT book is coming in tomorrow so I will kick off studying tomorrow. Can you please let me know what you think of this game plan?

Breakdown:

It sounds like a pretty good plan...just make sure that you are doing plenty of PTs. I'm going to be doing as many PTs as possible from here until September. Make sure you start with older PTs and work up to the newest PTs in September as well. Use the blind review to ensure that you're not just getting questions right thanks to sheer luck. This can be tedious but it will help immensely. If I am even only 99% sure on an answer I will circle it and go through the blind review method that BillPackets went over previously. It sounds ridiculous but it's a great way to ensure that you know exactly what traps you are falling into as well as knowing what to focus more time on in your drill time. Also I'm assuming you know this but make sure you simulate testing conditions for your PTs. If you can get some scantrons and try and make it as close to real life as you can. That way come test day hopefully you will limit any test anxiety and allow yourself to be more comfortable.

Good luck!

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 6:07 pm

johmica wrote:Just registered for the September test. My second go at it. First try, I scored a 171. I've taken two timed PT's so far this time around, and I've scored a 178 and a 175. Thinking about buying Kim's LSAT Trainer to help me push my score a couple of points higher.

Wtf is your GPA

johmica

Postby johmica » Mon May 19, 2014 6:41 pm

BillPackets wrote:
johmica wrote:Just registered for the September test. My second go at it. First try, I scored a 171. I've taken two timed PT's so far this time around, and I've scored a 178 and a 175. Thinking about buying Kim's LSAT Trainer to help me push my score a couple of points higher.

Wtf is your GPA

3.16. Ugh. I graduated from undergrad in 2000, with no idea that I'd ever consider law school, so I never bothered to baby the GPA. So, I'm going to be a splitter, regardless. I like my chances better if I'm a splitter with a near-perfect LSAT score.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon May 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johmica

Postby johmica » Mon May 19, 2014 7:23 pm

mornincounselor wrote:

Yeah! Retaking the 171, I like it. What was your breakdown?

Perfect on the first LR, missed 4 on the LG(!), missed one on the RC, and missed 5 on the last LR. The 4 missed on the LG killed me at the time, as I had invested a lot getting my timing down and working through PT's. Choked on one game specifically, and missed 3. Those 4 misses in the LG section were the difference between a 171 and a 175.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 8:14 pm

johmica wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

Wtf is your GPA

3.16. Ugh. I graduated from undergrad in 2000, with no idea that I'd ever consider law school, so I never bothered to baby the GPA. So, I'm going to be a splitter, regardless. I like my chances better if I'm a splitter with a near-perfect LSAT score.

Have you punched your numbers into myLSN to see what kind of difference it will make?

chicharon

Post removed...

Postby chicharon » Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 pm

lawschoolhopeful15 wrote:

Breakdown:

It sounds like a pretty good plan...just make sure that you are doing plenty of PTs. I'm going to be doing as many PTs as possible from here until September. Make sure you start with older PTs and work up to the newest PTs in September as well. Use the blind review to ensure that you're not just getting questions right thanks to sheer luck. This can be tedious but it will help immensely. If I am even only 99% sure on an answer I will circle it and go through the blind review method that BillPackets went over previously. It sounds ridiculous but it's a great way to ensure that you know exactly what traps you are falling into as well as knowing what to focus more time on in your drill time. Also I'm assuming you know this but make sure you simulate testing conditions for your PTs. If you can get some scantrons and try and make it as close to real life as you can. That way come test day hopefully you will limit any test anxiety and allow yourself to be more comfortable.

Good luck!

I really think this is an ambitious plan. Before I started studying for the LSAT, I would have absolutely thought you had a sufficient amount of time to hit that plan. But man, there is SO MUCH info packed into that study schedule. When I first started studying I was only focusing on one question type from one section (at least for LR), or I was only doing LGs. And I've been studying since late February, almost full time, and feel like I've really started to 'understand' the LSAT in the last month or so.

lawschoolhopeful15

Postby lawschoolhopeful15 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:10 pm

BillPackets wrote:

Breakdown:

Good luck!

I really think this is an ambitious plan. Before I started studying for the LSAT, I would have absolutely thought you had a sufficient amount of time to hit that plan. But man, there is SO MUCH info packed into that study schedule. When I first started studying I was only focusing on one question type from one section (at least for LR), or I was only doing LGs. And I've been studying since late February, almost full time, and feel like I've really started to 'understand' the LSAT in the last month or so.

It's an extremely ambitious plan but if a person is capable of learning it that quickly let them. I've been reading and working on and off on LSAT prep for about a year. Even now that I'm really buckling down on it there is still so much to learn. You can't underestimate the time needed and the difficulty. That said some people learn quicker than others. Good luck to all. I'm really looking forward to September!

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 19, 2014 11:24 pm

BillPackets wrote:

Breakdown:

Good luck!

It's an extremely ambitious plan but if a person is capable of learning it that quickly let them. I've been reading and working on and off on LSAT prep for about a year. Even now that I'm really buckling down on it there is still so much to learn. You can't underestimate the time needed and the difficulty. That said some people learn quicker than others. Good luck to all. I'm really looking forward to September!

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Shit is tough doe.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:18 am

thanks y'all for the thoughts and advice. i realize this is a lot but I am devoting my entire summer (asides from my 2 week trip to Europe :) )to it and will be studying for about 8-10 hours a day.

looking forward to being an active member on these boards.

famousblueraincoat

Postby famousblueraincoat » Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 am

Checking in! Signed up for the September test yesterday.

Quick question for everyone: I tried to self-study a few months ago in preparation for the June test, but it didn't go so well. Would taking the Summer TestMasters course be a good idea? I'm thinking that the structured environment will really help, especially since I'm also working full-time.

Also, how much prep should I be doing before/after/during the course? I plan on doing all of the assignments (which I hear are numerous), but I'm not sure if that would be enough for 170+.

I have the Trainer, the three PS bibles, and all previously administered LSATs (via Cambridge).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”