The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Hand

Gold

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:51 am

Last edited by Hand on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:53 am

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:54 am

Last edited by Hand on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:59 am

Last edited by GreenTee on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:01 pm

GreenTee wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
GreenTee wrote: This is part of the reason why I want to do the 1 year MA first. I have a relatively specific area of interest, but I think another thesis before law school would help me really decide if I want to go that route.

Also, @BillPackets: The program I'm interested in is very generous with financial aid, and I think it's likely that it would be free.
A soft plus would be getting very detailed, personal LORs. Can't hurt your app! If it's free and you're really interested in doing the research, a MA is totally reasonable, IMO.
I couldn't agree more.
I'm so glad TLS approves of my plan! I'll be applying to law schools at the same time (as soon as I have a suitable LSAT score), so if the financial aid for the MA doesn't come through, I'll just go to law school.
also agree. so long as it is free

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:03 pm

GreenTee wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
GreenTee wrote: This is part of the reason why I want to do the 1 year MA first. I have a relatively specific area of interest, but I think another thesis before law school would help me really decide if I want to go that route.

Also, @BillPackets: The program I'm interested in is very generous with financial aid, and I think it's likely that it would be free.
A soft plus would be getting very detailed, personal LORs. Can't hurt your app! If it's free and you're really interested in doing the research, a MA is totally reasonable, IMO.
I couldn't agree more.
I'm so glad TLS approves of my plan! I'll be applying to law schools at the same time (as soon as I have a suitable LSAT score), so if the financial aid for the MA doesn't come through, I'll just go to law school.
Plan approval via TLS is rare

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Louis1127 wrote:PT 59

Score: 179

just kidding, 163
This made me lol

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 pm

just kidding, 163
this was a serious 180 and it would be tragic if this went unnoticed

edit: scooped by the colonel

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:10 pm

BJS wrote:Uh oh. I realized today I have five games left in the Cambridge Difficulty LG packet. Suggestions on other sources for challenging games? Should I just reprint and do them again? I want to do *at least* one per day until the end.
Any help on this? Should I just reprint the packet and re-do all of the games or should I buy a type-specific packet and drill those?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:24 pm

BJS wrote:
BJS wrote:Uh oh. I realized today I have five games left in the Cambridge Difficulty LG packet. Suggestions on other sources for challenging games? Should I just reprint and do them again? I want to do *at least* one per day until the end.
Any help on this? Should I just reprint the packet and re-do all of the games or should I buy a type-specific packet and drill those?
what PTs are these games from? organized by game type, or just level of difficulty?

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:26 pm

BillPackets wrote:
BJS wrote:
what PTs are these games from? organized by game type, or just level of difficulty?
The packet I have is organized by difficulty. I think all 3 and 4 difficulties from PTs 1-38. I wish they had one for PTs 39-Present.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:35 pm

BJS wrote:The packet I have is organized by difficulty. I think all 3 and 4 difficulties from PTs 1-38. I wish they had one for PTs 39-Present.
i thot they did? either way, how confident do you feel on games? it's worthwhile to do games more than once, esp if you had trouble w them the first time around. there are several games from 1-38 that are pretty tough...the school bus game, snakes n lizards...there are a couple more.

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:42 pm

BillPackets wrote:i thot they did? either way, how confident do you feel on games? it's worthwhile to do games more than once, esp if you had trouble w them the first time around. there are several games from 1-38 that are pretty tough...the school bus game, snakes n lizards...there are a couple more.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I watch too much Reality TV :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Guys I'm so happy, starting to think that getting - 0 in LR might be a reality for me! Starting to go -3 and -2, and sometimes even perfect (after blind review of course)!

Trying to continue to improve on games and reading comp, if I bring them to LR level I think I have a chance at a 170 even though I never thought I'd be saying that.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:55 pm

flash21 wrote:Guys I'm so happy, starting to think that getting - 0 in LR might be a reality for me! Starting to go -3 and -2, and sometimes even perfect (after blind review of course)!

Trying to continue to improve on games and reading comp, if I bring them to LR level I think I have a chance at a 170 even though I never thought I'd be saying that.
You can do it! :D

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:02 pm

sashafierce wrote:
BillPackets wrote:i thot they did? either way, how confident do you feel on games? it's worthwhile to do games more than once, esp if you had trouble w them the first time around. there are several games from 1-38 that are pretty tough...the school bus game, snakes n lizards...there are a couple more.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I watch too much Reality TV :oops:
is that from reality tv?

Bilka

Bronze

Post by Bilka » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:03 pm

just kidding, 163

LR: -10 combined (I thought I did way better so I'm not sure what the deal is here)
RC: -8 (Once again, the comparative passage killed me, as it was easy and I missed 2)
Games: -5

This was the weirdest PT I've ever taken and graded. I seriously thought I missed like 1 or 2 total on LR and I was positive that I bombed the last two games.

I guess I am a good guesser, lol.
PT 59 has the hardest RC section in my opinion (at least from 36-62). Only because of that damn sculptor passage. The passage itself is fairly straightforward but the questions are a bitch. I had my worst performance ever on that passage - minus fucking 6 out of seven questions. It hurt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Bilka wrote:

just kidding, 163

LR: -10 combined (I thought I did way better so I'm not sure what the deal is here)
RC: -8 (Once again, the comparative passage killed me, as it was easy and I missed 2)
Games: -5

This was the weirdest PT I've ever taken and graded. I seriously thought I missed like 1 or 2 total on LR and I was positive that I bombed the last two games.

I guess I am a good guesser, lol.
PT 59 has the hardest RC section in my opinion (at least from 36-62). Only because of that damn sculptor passage. The passage itself is fairly straightforward but the questions are a bitch. I had my worst performance ever on that passage - minus fucking 6 out of seven questions. It hurt.
Tell us how you really feel..

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:08 pm

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:16 pm

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
Poli sci. Thot I wanted to be a prof until I found out that grad school was dumb.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm English"? Are you saying you're British?
I meant, I'm English MA. I also wanted to be a professor.
What happened? Didn't like grad school?
No, I really liked it. I loved teaching, at least. I just couldn't commit to another four years of it without taking at least a year to be a normal twentysomething-year-old, and when I did, I realized my passion for law.

It is dumb, though. I agree with that. The ivory tower needs some tearing down.

diiggidy

New

Post by diiggidy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:21 pm

I've recently decided to go to graduate school before law school as well. I'm in my final year of undergrad at a top 15 engineering school, and am planning on getting my M.S. in Electrical Engineering. I've done research with a professor here in undergrad, and will probably continue working with him as an RA. My reasoning is that I'd like to get more engineering experience, and this will give me time to decide if I truly want to go to law school. Also a M.S. in E.E. would be very valuable for patent law, which is what i'm interested in getting into anyways. However, it's going to be pretty difficult to balance applying to graduate school and fellowships and taking the LSAT at the same time. I also need to take the GRE, and will probably end up taking it around Sept. 15th. I'm currently averaging around 168-169 on PTs, with a goal of 174 but timing is also an issue for me still. I'm wondering if I should continue studying (I've pretty much been strictly studying for the LSAT this summer) this hard with the hopes of taking in Sept., or delay the LSAT and focus on applying to grad school. My scores have been between 167-170 for over a month now. Any advice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:29 pm

GreenTee wrote:Anyone here interested in academia? I'm thinking about applying to an international MA program in human rights before law school, just to write a bit more and flesh out an area of interest before considering JD/PhD.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Get a full ride, and even better if you can get paid to TA while you attend. You'll be living on no more than $20k, but it's doable when you're in graduate school. Because you have no life and your friends have forgotten you exist and you never leave your apartment anyway, so wtf do you think need to buy?, go make some sad poor-person soup and season that ish with your tears.
BillPackets wrote:yeah we kind of just said about how much the prof market sucks. i think i read on TLS somewhere that there was like 65 open legal academia positions open last year (this could be way off base). plus with the whole adjunct thing gaining more popularity, academia scares me even more. not to mention the whole "publish or die" thing that goes on. and you make like 15K for 15 years while you're getting your PhD. not bad when you're 23, but when you're 30 and finishing your dissertation and making nothing, it has to be disheartening.
Publish or perish! HATEEEEE.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:34 pm

diiggidy wrote:I've recently decided to go to graduate school before law school as well. I'm in my final year of undergrad at a top 15 engineering school, and am planning on getting my M.S. in Electrical Engineering. I've done research with a professor here in undergrad, and will probably continue working with him as an RA. My reasoning is that I'd like to get more engineering experience, and this will give me time to decide if I truly want to go to law school. Also a M.S. in E.E. would be very valuable for patent law, which is what i'm interested in getting into anyways. However, it's going to be pretty difficult to balance applying to graduate school and fellowships and taking the LSAT at the same time. I also need to take the GRE, and will probably end up taking it around Sept. 15th. I'm currently averaging around 168-169 on PTs, with a goal of 174 but timing is also an issue for me still. I'm wondering if I should continue studying (I've pretty much been strictly studying for the LSAT this summer) this hard with the hopes of taking in Sept., or delay the LSAT and focus on applying to grad school. My scores have been between 167-170 for over a month now. Any advice?
why law bro? you can make bank with an MS in EE.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:36 pm

sfoglia wrote:Publish or perish! HATEEEEE.
srs like 90% of articles contribute nothing substantive to anything except a discussion taking place between ~5 profs at varying unis who are all very interested in this one detail of one subfield of a broader field with which they are the only experts in the world

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 pm

hereisonehand wrote:If you're seeking to enter legal academia, you should probably make other plans. Consider this data. If you want to be an academic in a different field, get into a top PhD program in that field.
relevant

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”