The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:lol will someone do me a favor and look it up in the trainer? specifically the ones listed, not just general flaw. Its weird how I have no problem with most flaw questions and f these ones up


What do you mean specifically the ones listed?


"The flaw is that the passage overlooks ___"

Wherever those are in the book haha


I just got home give me 5 min to look it up

Edit: you could look @ trainer pg 74/75 and do the drills while only focusing on fails to consider, not takes for granted


Good find, ty

User avatar
boris09
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby boris09 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Just wanted to say thank you LLH for the kind words, and to smcgrey for always providing a sense of entertainment to my visits to this thread :)

would have quoted the both of you, but for some reason my above-average technological expertise doesn't apply to TLS

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2794
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 pm

No problem good luck w it

Edit: forgot to quote baseball

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sfoglia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 pm

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:I have a worthless MA, am 3ish years out of UG. Currently a middle school librarian. Other WE includes unemployment.


What do you have? I'm English, four years out from undergraduate study.


Poli sci. Thot I wanted to be a prof until I found out that grad school was dumb.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm English"? Are you saying you're British?


I meant, I'm English MA. I also wanted to be a professor.
Last edited by sfoglia on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
boris09
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby boris09 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm starting to feel that if i happen to be attending the same school as either of you i definitely wouldn't be the brightest bulb of the bunch. Just a regular ol' third year going into his final year of undergraduate studies in criminology lol

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:56 am

boris09 wrote:I'm starting to feel that if i happen to be attending the same school as either of you i definitely wouldn't be the brightest bulb of the bunch. Just a regular ol' third year going into his final year of undergraduate studies in criminology lol


degrees really, honestly don't mean shit. You don't have to be smart to get an advanced degree of any sort.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:33 am

BillPackets wrote:
boris09 wrote:I'm starting to feel that if i happen to be attending the same school as either of you i definitely wouldn't be the brightest bulb of the bunch. Just a regular ol' third year going into his final year of undergraduate studies in criminology lol


degrees really, honestly don't mean shit. You don't have to be smart to get an advanced degree of any sort.


Truer words have never been spoken. Some of the people I'm surrounded by have multiple master's degrees but are still working the same type of job I am straight out of undergrad and have $100K+ in debt.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am

sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:I have a worthless MA, am 3ish years out of UG. Currently a middle school librarian. Other WE includes unemployment.


What do you have? I'm English, four years out from undergraduate study.


Poli sci. Thot I wanted to be a prof until I found out that grad school was dumb.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm English"? Are you saying you're British?


I meant, I'm English MA. I also wanted to be a professor.


What happened? Didn't like grad school?

User avatar
Superstaranonymous
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Superstaranonymous » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 am

.
Last edited by Superstaranonymous on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 am

hillz wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
boris09 wrote:I'm starting to feel that if i happen to be attending the same school as either of you i definitely wouldn't be the brightest bulb of the bunch. Just a regular ol' third year going into his final year of undergraduate studies in criminology lol


degrees really, honestly don't mean shit. You don't have to be smart to get an advanced degree of any sort.


Truer words have never been spoken. Some of the people I'm surrounded by have multiple master's degrees but are still working the same type of job I am straight out of undergrad and have $100K+ in debt.


Yeah idk I pretty much disagree w this. I'm adamantly opposed to the notion that someone's earnings potential/power is correlated w intelligence. Some ppl are smart and dc about making money. Some ppl are smart and don't like having a boss. Some ppl
Are dumb AF yet somehow make good money. All in all I don't think ones income is indicative of ones intelligence.

Although I do think you should only go to grad school if u get it paid for bc a lot of masters just aren't worth it.

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby CFC1524 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 am

How long do you guys wait to start a PT after doing a warm-up? My concern is that my current strategy (waiting 15 minutes or so before starting the test) isn't really mimicking test-day conditions...is this a big deal (i.e. should I be waiting an hour?), or am I reading too much into this?

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 am

.
Last edited by GreenTee on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5996
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 am

boris09 wrote:Just wanted to say thank you LLH for the kind words, and to smcgrey for always providing a sense of entertainment to my visits to this thread :)

would have quoted the both of you, but for some reason my above-average technological expertise doesn't apply to TLS


:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Reasons to do a Master's:
1. You're in the sciences and want to work in research
2. You're in accounting and want to skip ahead (not possible everywhere)
3. You want to get a PhD and be a Professor (terrible job market)
4. You really want to study a subject more in-depth and have a full ride + can work while you're doing it
5. You don't know what to do with your BA and your parents are prepared to foot the bill for your academic meandering

Soooo many people I know from high school are in category #5. I mean, it's probably fine, and I'm a little jealous, but it's not exactly practical. I wanted to do a 1 yr masters in forensic psychiatry (tuition here is only $2,000 per semester) but I realized that sadly there's no point.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 am

BillPackets wrote:
hillz wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
boris09 wrote:I'm starting to feel that if i happen to be attending the same school as either of you i definitely wouldn't be the brightest bulb of the bunch. Just a regular ol' third year going into his final year of undergraduate studies in criminology lol


degrees really, honestly don't mean shit. You don't have to be smart to get an advanced degree of any sort.


Truer words have never been spoken. Some of the people I'm surrounded by have multiple master's degrees but are still working the same type of job I am straight out of undergrad and have $100K+ in debt.


Yeah idk I pretty much disagree w this. I'm adamantly opposed to the notion that someone's earnings potential/power is correlated w intelligence. Some ppl are smart and dc about making money. Some ppl are smart and don't like having a boss. Some ppl
Are dumb AF yet somehow make good money. All in all I don't think ones income is indicative of ones intelligence.

Although I do think you should only go to grad school if u get it paid for bc a lot of masters just aren't worth it.
Last edited by hillz on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:03 am

And I mean, I don't think it's a good idea to just keep getting more and more degrees if you're not really using any of them (and if you're not being paid to accumulate them!)

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2794
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 am

A degrees value is for the most part relative to how many there are. Getting a bachelors degree and masters degree today is way less valuable than 25 years ago bc of how many are being churned out. See the problem w the legal market

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 am

smccgrey wrote:1. You're in the sciences and want to work in research


the only person i know who has a worthwhile MA got it in civil engineering, with a focus on transportation. full ride+was an RA throughout so had room and board paid for plus a living stipend. i'm not entirely clear why he got it though bc he worked for the department of transportation every summer and had a job lined up with them upon completion of his BA. i think he just wanted to get his MA bc no one else in his department has one. on the upside i used to play in a lot of disc golf tourneys with him and he would talk my head off about stop light timing, flow of traffic, light patters, etc., so now i do consider myself somewhat of a lay expert on traffic engineering/patterns.

i received a full ride+living stipend while i got my MA and it's unclear if it was worth it even though i didn't pay for it. i typically leave it off my resume

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:15 am

I missed the "What stage of life are you in, KJD, advanced degree, et cetera?" question.
I am finishing UG in December, but I am 26. PM for more specific info.
(Read: my desperation to be part of the gang by answering a question that was asked like 4 pages ago.)

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5996
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:16 am

I have quite a few friends who did an MSc in biomedical sciences and are now working in public health policy or just research and doing very well. But most of them are med school rejects, so there's that.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5996
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:17 am

Toby Ziegler wrote:I missed the "What stage of life are you in, KJD, advanced degree, et cetera?" question.
I am finishing UG in December, but I am 26. PM for more specific info.
(Read: my desperation to be part of the gang by answering a question that was asked like 4 pages ago.)


Toby you're clearly part of the gang.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 am

Toby Ziegler wrote:(Read: my desperation to be part of the gang by answering a question that was asked like 4 pages ago.)


this made me lol

smccgrey wrote:But most of them are med school rejects, so there's that.


so did that.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2794
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 am

smccgrey wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:I missed the "What stage of life are you in, KJD, advanced degree, et cetera?" question.
I am finishing UG in December, but I am 26. PM for more specific info.
(Read: my desperation to be part of the gang by answering a question that was asked like 4 pages ago.)


Toby you're clearly part of the gang.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2794
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:22 am

Re: the terrible professor market, I've considered that career path but the market for prof jobs is even worse than legal market

BJS
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BJS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 am

Uh oh. I realized today I have five games left in the Cambridge Difficulty LG packet. Suggestions on other sources for challenging games? Should I just reprint and do them again? I want to do *at least* one per day until the end.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, laqueredup, ngogirl12, towel13661, Vino.Veritas and 6 guests