The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:19 pm

GreenTee wrote:What is a fat lipper?


Image

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:24 pm

BillPackets wrote:
GreenTee wrote:What is a fat lipper?


Image


Outed

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3521
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Hand » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Last edited by Hand on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5989
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 pm

GreenTee wrote: I feel like I'm swimming through an ocean of maple syrup.

As a Canadian, I think this sounds delicious.

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:35 pm

.
Last edited by GreenTee on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:37 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
GreenTee wrote:What is a fat lipper?


Image


Outed


i wish that was me

Edit:
GreenTee wrote:Is it PW time already?


its always PW time

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Did PT 9 today.
RC -7 (I really need to study/drill RC)
LR1 -11 (not sure what in the actual fuuuu happened here...)
LG -2
LR2 -6

163

Pretty disappointed with this LR performance. Going to drill the problem area questions. I also need to get faster at LG, spent way too much time on the first and second game.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:Did PT 9 today.
RC -7 (I really need to study/drill RC)
LR1 -11 (not sure what in the actual fuuuu happened here...)
LG -2
LR2 -6

163

Pretty disappointed with this LR performance. Going to drill the problem area questions. I also need to get faster at LG, spent way too much time on the first and second game.


What kinds of LR Qs did u miss? Also the old tests are pretty similar to current tests, but they're weirdly different.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
its always PW time


This x1000

Edit: I'm an idiot when it comes to quoting

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:44 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:Did PT 9 today.
RC -7 (I really need to study/drill RC)
LR1 -11 (not sure what in the actual fuuuu happened here...)
LG -2
LR2 -6

163

Pretty disappointed with this LR performance. Going to drill the problem area questions. I also need to get faster at LG, spent way too much time on the first and second game.


What kinds of LR Qs did u miss? Also the old tests are pretty similar to current tests, but they're weirdly different.


To add: was it more of a timing issue or an issue w the questions?

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:00 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
GreenTee wrote:
Also, how do people function without exercising? If I don't do something active in the morning, for the rest of the day I feel like I'm swimming through an ocean of maple syrup.


That's what caffeine is for! But seriously, I'm so glad I got back into early morning running recently, even if it means I'm getting up at 5:30.


Yep. First thing I do each morning is pound coffee. I need to get back into running but it's too goddamn hot this month.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Guys I must reveal my true intentions for attending UT is simply the abundance of 24 hr fitness centers

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Another confession. I still have no clue what anyone is talking about when it comes to suff/necc assumption. I mean, I get pretty decent scores. I just dont think about it. I just fuckin answer it haha. I dont say "oh shit that's sufficient but not necessary" or anything. I literally just answer it. Perhaps I'd get one maybe two more ?'s right if I did (I dont even think I miss any of them) but my point is that I truly, truly believe that people think those out too much. Just answer it haha.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Are we making the transformation to confession hour in the sept thread? I'm down

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5989
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:12 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Another confession. I still have no clue what anyone is talking about when it comes to suff/necc assumption. I mean, I get pretty decent scores. I just dont think about it. I just fuckin answer it haha. I dont say "oh shit that's sufficient but not necessary" or anything. I literally just answer it. Perhaps I'd get one maybe two more ?'s right if I did (I dont even think I miss any of them) but my point is that I truly, truly believe that people think those out too much. Just answer it haha.


Me neither. Sometimes I read LG or LR threads and I have absolutely no idea WTF people are talking about. And my PT avg is pretty dece.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:13 pm

People pay attention to the question stem wayyyy too much. I mean, its important, but like there are literally only 4 diff ways to attack questions. They all fall under the same categories. People just sorta freak out when they see assump ?'s

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:14 pm

.
Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:14 pm

smccgrey wrote:And my PT avg is pretty dece.


Confession: this is the understatement of the week.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:17 pm

GreenTee wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Another confession. I still have no clue what anyone is talking about when it comes to suff/necc assumption. I mean, I get pretty decent scores. I just dont think about it. I just fuckin answer it haha. I dont say "oh shit that's sufficient but not necessary" or anything. I literally just answer it. Perhaps I'd get one maybe two more ?'s right if I did (I dont even think I miss any of them) but my point is that I truly, truly believe that people think those out too much. Just answer it haha.


How do you "just answer it" without having a clear understanding of what the question is asking?

I mean, I guess you can POE your way through the easy questions without knowing the difference between a necessary and sufficient assumption, but it won't work on all of them. I approach these questions very differently, because they really are very different tasks.


I agree, I've seen some necessary questions where some of the wrong answer choices were sufficient but not necessary

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 pm

GreenTee wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Another confession. I still have no clue what anyone is talking about when it comes to suff/necc assumption. I mean, I get pretty decent scores. I just dont think about it. I just fuckin answer it haha. I dont say "oh shit that's sufficient but not necessary" or anything. I literally just answer it. Perhaps I'd get one maybe two more ?'s right if I did (I dont even think I miss any of them) but my point is that I truly, truly believe that people think those out too much. Just answer it haha.


How do you "just answer it" without having a clear understanding of what the question is asking?

I mean, I guess you can POE your way through the easy questions without knowing the difference between a necessary and sufficient assumption, but it won't work on all of them. I approach these questions very differently, because they really are very different tasks.


That's the thing. I do understand what its asking. However, I dont say to myself "oh that answer choice is sufficient, but not necessary." If you have to do that, youre thinking about it too hard. The LSAT should be something you take after acquiring a good question attacking habit. So, whenever I see an assumption I just answer it how its asked. I dont do the negation strategies or anything that the books try to teach.

All I'm saying is that people think WAY too hard about some questions and need a more simpler approach. Not just for assump, but for everything.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5989
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:23 pm

GreenTee wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Another confession. I still have no clue what anyone is talking about when it comes to suff/necc assumption. I mean, I get pretty decent scores. I just dont think about it. I just fuckin answer it haha. I dont say "oh shit that's sufficient but not necessary" or anything. I literally just answer it. Perhaps I'd get one maybe two more ?'s right if I did (I dont even think I miss any of them) but my point is that I truly, truly believe that people think those out too much. Just answer it haha.


How do you "just answer it" without having a clear understanding of what the question is asking?

I mean, I guess you can POE your way through the easy questions without knowing the difference between a necessary and sufficient assumption, but it won't work on all of them. I approach these questions very differently, because they really are very different tasks.


Oh I know the difference. I just don't think much about what type of question I'm answering or use the terminology in my process.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Okay both of your guys responses make a lot more sense now.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Big meh to the argument from ilikebaseball. If u can answer SA and NA without thinking about the differences, then that's what works for you. But they are different questions, and as such have different answers. I will say that my process for solving each is mostly similar (fill the gap/connect terms) they can vary enough that I find it worthwhile to know the difference.

I do agree w your argument when it comes to games. I did all the games from the Cambridge packet and can't tell you the difference between determined assignment/undetermined assignment, but I'm pretty good at games nonetheless.


Edit: spoke too soon. Gotcha

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5989
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Look! We were back on topic for like five minutes! :lol:

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Quick question on PT 23 S2 #26.

Its the one about restrictions on teenage drivers. I picked A. It's a weakenX question. How does the fact that teenagers drive an older car weaken the fact that teenagers lack basic driving skills? Just because a car is less stable doesnt make it any less of a car.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?), brewpub16, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests