The Official September 2014 Study Group

Toby Ziegler

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun May 04, 2014 1:27 am

WaltGrace83 wrote:I used to be SUPER concerned about getting the test done and over with. Yet within the last few months I have realized that I'd rather prep hard and smart, ensuring a high score rather than an early completion. I don't care if I am studying until NEXT june if that means I will get the score I want.

You can be concerned with getting the test done and over with and also prep hard and smart. My desire to be done with the LSAT after the Sept. test helps me study as effectively as possible. I think if I had the attitude that I could study forever it wouldn't give me the sense of urgency I need.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun May 04, 2014 1:28 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:How do you all deal with fatigue? I feel that I have been studying too much. I am not reading the LR stimulus as effective as I use to. I have taken a break but feel I might need to take a longer break like 5 days or 2 weeks.

Anyone know what I mean?

I always take Sundays off. Seems to be working.

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:55 am

Toby Ziegler wrote:
WaltGrace83 wrote:I used to be SUPER concerned about getting the test done and over with. Yet within the last few months I have realized that I'd rather prep hard and smart, ensuring a high score rather than an early completion. I don't care if I am studying until NEXT june if that means I will get the score I want.

You can be concerned with getting the test done and over with and also prep hard and smart. My desire to be done with the LSAT after the Sept. test helps me study as effectively as possible. I think if I had the attitude that I could study forever it wouldn't give me the sense of urgency I need.

Totally agree! All I am saying is that I am not going to take the test before I am ready.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 am

BillPackets wrote:What's everybody drilling right now?

I'm drilling NA and SA for LR and Basic Ordering for LG. I'm planning on working my way through my books during May and June (halfway through LR, LG, and RC books each month), then July and August will be extra heavy with drilling and practice tests. By the time September rolls around, I'll be doing purely practice tests.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun May 04, 2014 10:06 am

Tyr wrote:

I'm drilling NA and SA for LR and Basic Ordering for LG. I'm planning on working my way through my books during May and June (halfway through LR, LG, and RC books each month), then July and August will be extra heavy with drilling and practice tests. By the time September rolls around, I'll be doing purely practice tests.

Tyr, I like your style my friend. This plan looks really great. My plan is almost identical.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun May 04, 2014 11:04 am

Tyr wrote:

How many PTs are you trying to do before test day?

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun May 04, 2014 11:07 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:How do you all deal with fatigue? I feel that I have been studying too much. I am not reading the LR stimulus as effective as I use to. I have taken a break but feel I might need to take a longer break like 5 days or 2 weeks.

Anyone know what I mean?

Go see a shaman.

Or take a couple days off from LR as suggested by Toby.

Maybe just do LGs for a couple of days.

axel.foley

Postby axel.foley » Sun May 04, 2014 2:08 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Tyr wrote:

I'm interested in this as well. My plan is almost exactly the same as yours. I had always planned on taking every PT btw 39 and 71, as well as the .5s, June 2007 etc., before the test. However, given this timeline, doing so would require more than 3 PTs/week in July, August and September. I don't think this would allow enough time for what should be the main focus in this stage: reviewing and dissecting these PTs to thoroughly understand mistakes and how to avoid them. Therefore, I think I'm going to do closer to 25 before game day, and continue drilling throughout.

FWIW here's what Graeme had to say on this: "I would bet money on someone who has taken the time to thoroughly understand every question in 52-61, rather than on someone who has done every test, once."

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun May 04, 2014 2:46 pm

BillPackets wrote:

Anyone know what I mean?

Go see a shaman.

Or take a couple days off from LR as suggested by Toby.

Maybe just do LGs for a couple of days.

Bill is right. It seems that LG don't quite take as much out of you - at least not as much as LR and especially RC.
But that one day without thinking about the LSAT at all is really beneficial for me.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun May 04, 2014 3:29 pm

axel.foley wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
Tyr wrote:

I'm interested in this as well. My plan is almost exactly the same as yours. I had always planned on taking every PT btw 39 and 71, as well as the .5s, June 2007 etc., before the test. However, given this timeline, doing so would require more than 3 PTs/week in July, August and September. I don't think this would allow enough time for what should be the main focus in this stage: reviewing and dissecting these PTs to thoroughly understand mistakes and how to avoid them. Therefore, I think I'm going to do closer to 25 before game day, and continue drilling throughout.

FWIW here's what Graeme had to say on this: "I would bet money on someone who has taken the time to thoroughly understand every question in 52-61, rather than on someone who has done every test, once."

I guess it depends on the amount of time you have to devote to the LSAT. The time commitment necessary for PT+BR is no joke, so if you're working full time PT'ing during the week would be difficult if not impossible.

Still though, that seems like a tight timeline for PTing. I'm hoping to have like 75 to 85% of my PTing done by September. I want to be confident by the time September rolls around, and mainly use that time to solidify skills/finish up PTing.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Sun May 04, 2014 4:32 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Tyr wrote:

I will be taking PTs 39 - 70+ (whatever is available by then... 71? 72?). I'll take some earlier, but the bulk will lead up to the month prior to the real exam. Essentially, my schedule will go in phases of: 1) Learn the material via books. This means becoming a student of the LSAT, not just learn methods. Truly learn the intricacies of the test. I'll do some drilling and some PTs; 2) Drill the snot out of every type of question along with slightly more PTs; and 3) Take many PTs with some drilling to reinforce and strengthen any weak areas. In September I'll be taking PTs every Saturday at the test location at 8am. This is in addition to the PTs I'll be taking in other places at various times.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sun May 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Doing Weaken questions, then NA/SA, followed by principle questions....

on a side note, i dont know if its sad or not, but ive started to look forward to study time...

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun May 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Ahh, I should have went the way of Toby today. I could not, for the life of me, concentrate on jack shit today. Couldn't focus on the stimulus, answer choices, nothing.

The most helpful thing I did was review my missed flaw questions. I'm a SUCKER for certain language cues in incorrect answers that make them seem attractive. Made a note to myself about that.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

BillPackets wrote:Ahh, I should have went the way of Toby today. I could not, for the life of me, concentrate on jack shit today. Couldn't focus on the stimulus, answer choices, nothing.

The most helpful thing I did was review my missed flaw questions. I'm a SUCKER for certain language cues in incorrect answers that make them seem attractive. Made a note to myself about that.

Sorry about the struggle, Bill. :? I find that the single day break really invigorates me to start the week off strong, and also gives me something to push towards (the day off). I am glad you mentioned making notes about certain things that trip you up often. I need to be better about doing this. And by being better I mean start doing it.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun May 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
BillPackets wrote:Ahh, I should have went the way of Toby today. I could not, for the life of me, concentrate on jack shit today. Couldn't focus on the stimulus, answer choices, nothing.

Sorry about the struggle, Bill. :? I find that the single day break really invigorates me to start the week off strong, and also gives me something to push towards (the day off). I am glad you mentioned making notes about certain things that trip you up often. I need to be better about doing this. And by being better I mean start doing it.

Yeah I kind of brushed off the whole "make copies and cut out all wrong questions" advice that I've heard from several different sources, but I finally started doing it and really is helpful. It definitely has helped me see what traps I fall for in certain types of questions, and helps me to correct those bad habits.

I don't do this with LG though. With those it's pretty clear cut as to why you missed an answer, no language trip ups or anything there.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Sun May 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Code: Select all

"Lucy performs third only if Nancy performs fifth."

The way I visualize this rule would be: N5 -> L3 ; In actuality the rule should look like: L3 -> N5

Going to have to reread the LG bible section which talks about "only if"

It would be

L3 ----- N5

If N is not 5 then L is not 3 (This would be the contrapositive

So a question would be say:

If N is 7th which one of the following can't be true?

D - L is third

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun May 04, 2014 11:40 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:

The way I visualize this rule would be: N5 -> L3 ; In actuality the rule should look like: L3 -> N5

It would be

L3 ----- N5

D - L is third

Are you asking a question or looking for advice, or just reviewing?

When I first started games I would immediately write the contrapositive of all conditionals. But that really confused me and increased the amount of rules I had written down.

I just started doing the 7sage thing and checking any conditional rules to see if something triggered the sufficient or failed the necessary. I think it's easier.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun May 04, 2014 11:44 pm

BillPackets wrote:
withoutapaddle wrote:

It would be

L3 ----- N5

D - L is third

When I first started games I would immediately write the contrapositive of all conditionals. But that really confused me and increased the amount of rules I had written down.

I just started doing the 7sage thing and checking any conditional rules to see if something triggered the sufficient or failed the necessary. I think it's easier.

He is quoting mornincounselor from the first page of the thread.
Whenever you read "only if" replace it with "then" it makes translating a lot easier. So I read it like this:
"Lucy performs third then Nancy performs fifth." It makes the conditional relationship very obvious and all but eliminates the possibility of mixing up the sufficient and necessary conditions.
This is one of the few LSAT beneficial things that I learned from my predicate logic courses.

bhersk

Postby bhersk » Mon May 05, 2014 12:38 am

Does anyone have any idea what date the September registration is opening up, or how to get some sort of notification the day that it does open?

mrhaart

Postby mrhaart » Mon May 05, 2014 12:56 am

bhersk wrote:Does anyone have any idea what date the September registration is opening up, or how to get some sort of notification the day that it does open?

I believe someone mentioned Sept. sign-ups being available sometime at the end of May but don't quote me on that.

Finally finished up with the Trainer and devised a study schedule for the next 2 months. I'm pairing up 1-2 LR question types with 1-2 LG question types to drill out of Cambridge each week. For example, my first week consists of drilling Flaw/Match the Flaw & Basic Linear/Relative Linear Games. Second week I'll move onto Sufficient Assumption/Principle Support & In&Out Games, etc., etc. The "pairings" are pretty arbitrary, although I did use the order presented in the Trainer for LR - e.g., starting with actually "identifying" the flaw in arguments itself (hence, why I am starting with ID Flaw questions/Match the Flaw questions), and then moving on to all of the other question types that deal with addressing the Flaw in subsequent weeks (e.g., Sufficient/Necessary, Strengthen/Weaken) and eventually rounding off with the non-argument, or as the Trainer puts it -- "objective" question types last (ID Conclusion, ID Role, Describe Method of Reasoning, Principle Example, Inference, Pt. of Disagreement, Explain the Discrepancy).

The last 2.5 months I plan on ramping up to full PT's with comprehensive Blind Review. Hope you all are hanging in there. It took me a month longer than I had originally anticipated to finish the Trainer but I'm glad I spent the extra time to really try and internalize some of the strategies. Fatigue had a lot to do with as well.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 05, 2014 2:05 am

Toby Ziegler wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
withoutapaddle wrote:

It would be

L3 ----- N5

D - L is third

He is quoting mornincounselor from the first page of the thread.
Whenever you read "only if" replace it with "then" it makes translating a lot easier. So I read it like this:
"Lucy performs third then Nancy performs fifth." It makes the conditional relationship very obvious and all but eliminates the possibility of mixing up the sufficient and necessary conditions.
This is one of the few LSAT beneficial things that I learned from my predicate logic courses.

Ah ok. I see.

7sage has a handy cheat sheet of words that indicate sufficient and necessary conditions. Once i started doing more games and such the keywords became a little more apparent.

Monday is the new start of another training week. Good luck to everyone.

chimera

Postby chimera » Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 am

In on September. I was going to retake in June (after scoring significantly below my avg PTs in December), but I've decided I need more time. Here's to summer studying.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 05, 2014 9:56 am

chimera wrote:In on September. I was going to retake in June (after scoring significantly below my avg PTs in December), but I've decided I need more time. Here's to summer studying.

Summerrrrr timmmme when the livins easy...

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon May 05, 2014 11:06 am

BillPackets wrote:
chimera wrote:In on September. I was going to retake in June (after scoring significantly below my avg PTs in December), but I've decided I need more time. Here's to summer studying.

And Bradley's on the microphone with Ras MG.

Studying assumtion questions today. Some assumption questions take me 30 seconds total and others take me like 3 minutes. Probably my least favorite question type so far.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Mon May 05, 2014 11:25 am

Toby Ziegler wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

And Bradley's on the microphone with Ras MG.

Studying assumtion questions today. Some assumption questions take me 30 seconds total and others take me like 3 minutes. Probably my least favorite question type so far.

Which type are you doing? Necessary, sufficient?

Also, happy cinco de mayo. I will see you all at pepe's for lunch time margaritas.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”