The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 pm

mornincounselor wrote:In retrospect I probably should have been drilling right along while I read. Less than five months to go people.


I feel like it took me a good month to figure out HOW to study for this test. So I'm right there with you.

User avatar
Foxtrot2013
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:13 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Foxtrot2013 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:42 pm

BillPackets wrote:
urbanecologie wrote:
The crawl to 170 continues...


It's a fucking fight to death.


You mean emotionally tortured to death?

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Foxtrot2013 wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
urbanecologie wrote:
The crawl to 170 continues...


It's a fucking fight to death.


You mean emotionally tortured to death?


That could be. I do get way too pissed off when I miss a question (or two), and feel an overriding sense of anxiety thinking about September.

User avatar
Tyr
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Tyr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:22 pm

I started drilling Necessary Assumption questions today. I got 31/32. Granted, this was only tier 1 difficulty. But hey, this seems to be my most challenging question type so I'll take anything positive.

I find when I'm drilling, I start getting in the habit of eliminating 4 choices, then taking the remaining answer. If I'm not 100% confident on the answer, I do the "Negation Test" to see if it wrecks the argument. It just seems a lot easier to eliminate wrong choices than to select a correct choice. Does this sound about right?

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 3735
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby fips tedora » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 pm

imperspective wrote:
MTH2 wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:Spent all day today battling my way through those 7 Sufficient Assumption questions I had marked. I think I have a moderately good handle on them now, but I will see in the coming days when I review clean copies of them if the inferences still are as obvious to me as they are at this moment.

Now onto a LG type. I'll go alphabetically and begin with Advanced Linear (Basic)


Mix your games up, because when you get to timed sections, it'll be easier as you're used to different types and diagrams when practicing.


Because you say this, I wonder if you think if I should just read the whole LGB cover-to-cover and then drill all game types (while I wait for my other books to arrive).

Simultaneous to reading, I would drill untimed games that corresponded with each relevant chapter and throughly review the diagramming method and answers with 7Sage. Then, after finishing the book, I would do a few untimed sections, review as before on 7Sage, then start doing sections timed. I usually go about 0 to -2 on LG per preptest.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I made it through 12 Advanced Linear games over the last two days. They sure take a lot more out of you then logical reasoning questions. I'm making progress though, and for one game I even made a diagram I liked better than J.Y.'s.

Started up the required assumption packet too. Only about 6 questions in though and already had to re-read that section of the Trainer.


God I think LR takes more out of you. Sometimes things are in scope that seem out of scope...LG is very straightforward. You see the inference, or you don't. I've never looked up the definition of a very mundane word during logic games to gain a clear understanding of that word's implications.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Tyr wrote:I started drilling Necessary Assumption questions today. I got 31/32. Granted, this was only tier 1 difficulty. But hey, this seems to be my most challenging question type so I'll take anything positive.

I find when I'm drilling, I start getting in the habit of eliminating 4 choices, then taking the remaining answer. If I'm not 100% confident on the answer, I do the "Negation Test" to see if it wrecks the argument. It just seems a lot easier to eliminate wrong choices than to select a correct choice. Does this sound about right?


That's exactly right.

The only bad part is when you get to higher levels of difficulty and you can only eliminate three, then you do the negation test and you're like "wtf I don't see how either of those destroys the argument."

I also have kind of gotten in the habit of immediately reading the answer choices in the negated form. I'm not sure if it's effective yet.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 am

Cut out some LR questions I missed recently and am carrying then around in my pocket today.

It seems like everyone (various LSAT trainers) recommend doing this. I always thought it seemed like a weird idea since you could just review missed questions during time set aside for LSAT study.

But so far it's been kind of helpful to compare my missed questions across question type and notice how LR skills interact with one another, and where my deficiencies lay within the overall context of LR rather than one specific question type.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu May 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Sometimes the LSAT makes me feel really dumb. Really fucking dumb.

User avatar
urbanecologie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby urbanecologie » Thu May 01, 2014 9:11 pm

BillPackets wrote:Sometimes the LSAT makes me feel really dumb. Really fucking dumb.


Dude... You are preaching to the choir. When I first started studying, I would write "lol enjoy Cooley" on the top of all of my shitty timed sections. Thank Jah for Powerscore.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Thu May 01, 2014 9:48 pm

urbanecologie wrote:
BillPackets wrote:Sometimes the LSAT makes me feel really dumb. Really fucking dumb.


Dude... You are preaching to the choir. When I first started studying, I would write "lol enjoy Cooley" on the top of all of my shitty timed sections. Thank Jah for Powerscore.


I wear ear plugs and usually study at various Starbucks locations...the ear plugs cover up how loudly I am actually telling myself to stop being a fucking idiot after missing questions.

I'm like "lol enjoy (any TTT in the IN/IL/OH) area."

Or I consider moving to am area with a strong regional school that places halfway decent.

The slog to 170 continues.

su_
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby su_ » Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 am

just started prepping, lets do this

MassiveSplit
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 4:27 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby MassiveSplit » Sat May 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Checking in. Sept is my third and final take.

At a glance this seems as much of a support group as a study group. Works for me. :D

User avatar
gnomgnomuch
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Checking out of June and into September, didn't realize how time consuming LSAT studying would be, and even though I've made a lot of progress (initial test 146, last test 160) I'm nowhere near where I want to be (172+) so I've postponed.

LETS DO THIS =D

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:46 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:Checking out of June and into September, didn't realize how time consuming LSAT studying would be, and even though I've made a lot of progress (initial test 146, last test 160) I'm nowhere near where I want to be (172+) so I've postponed.

LETS DO THIS =D


I hear ya. I have basically just been studying since January with only part-time work. I have brought myself up from a 147 diagnostic many years ago to a 168 on second diagnostic I took about a month ago. I have made huge strides. However, I am also in need of a 172+. I postponed until September too. However I will be able to be taking lots of PTs over the summer. If not.....well December I guess haha

User avatar
gnomgnomuch
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat May 03, 2014 6:22 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:Checking out of June and into September, didn't realize how time consuming LSAT studying would be, and even though I've made a lot of progress (initial test 146, last test 160) I'm nowhere near where I want to be (172+) so I've postponed.

LETS DO THIS =D


I hear ya. I have basically just been studying since January with only part-time work. I have brought myself up from a 147 diagnostic many years ago to a 168 on second diagnostic I took about a month ago. I have made huge strides. However, I am also in need of a 172+. I postponed until September too. However I will be able to be taking lots of PTs over the summer. If not.....well December I guess haha


IT TOOK YOU A MONTH FROM 147 TO 168 ?!?!?!?! ..... are you a wizard?

It's taken me from February to get to this score... tbf to myself though, I haven't studied like I should have, plus I worked 3 jobs (until the end of march, now only 1 job) and have a full course load, plus MUN obligations.. so now that I have more free time i'm making the corresponding strides. I realized that 30 odd days wouldn't even get me to a 170, so I decided to postpone, I only want to take the test once, kill it, and move on to apps.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Sat May 03, 2014 6:32 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
WaltGrace83 wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:Checking out of June and into September, didn't realize how time consuming LSAT studying would be, and even though I've made a lot of progress (initial test 146, last test 160) I'm nowhere near where I want to be (172+) so I've postponed.

LETS DO THIS =D


I hear ya. I have basically just been studying since January with only part-time work. I have brought myself up from a 147 diagnostic many years ago to a 168 on second diagnostic I took about a month ago. I have made huge strides. However, I am also in need of a 172+. I postponed until September too. However I will be able to be taking lots of PTs over the summer. If not.....well December I guess haha


IT TOOK YOU A MONTH FROM 147 TO 168 ?!?!?!?! ..... are you a wizard?

It's taken me from February to get to this score... tbf to myself though, I haven't studied like I should have, plus I worked 3 jobs (until the end of march, now only 1 job) and have a full course load, plus MUN obligations.. so now that I have more free time i'm making the corresponding strides. I realized that 30 odd days wouldn't even get me to a 170, so I decided to postpone, I only want to take the test once, kill it, and move on to apps.


I think he's saying that "years ago" he scored a 147, and he recently PT'ed at 168.

But I'm with Walt Grace..."September it is...unless of course I need to retake in December"

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sat May 03, 2014 7:53 pm

BillPackets wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
WaltGrace83 wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:Checking out of June and into September, didn't realize how time consuming LSAT studying would be, and even though I've made a lot of progress (initial test 146, last test 160) I'm nowhere near where I want to be (172+) so I've postponed.

LETS DO THIS =D


I hear ya. I have basically just been studying since January with only part-time work. I have brought myself up from a 147 diagnostic many years ago to a 168 on second diagnostic I took about a month ago. I have made huge strides. However, I am also in need of a 172+. I postponed until September too. However I will be able to be taking lots of PTs over the summer. If not.....well December I guess haha


IT TOOK YOU A MONTH FROM 147 TO 168 ?!?!?!?! ..... are you a wizard?

It's taken me from February to get to this score... tbf to myself though, I haven't studied like I should have, plus I worked 3 jobs (until the end of march, now only 1 job) and have a full course load, plus MUN obligations.. so now that I have more free time i'm making the corresponding strides. I realized that 30 odd days wouldn't even get me to a 170, so I decided to postpone, I only want to take the test once, kill it, and move on to apps.


I think he's saying that "years ago" he scored a 147, and he recently PT'ed at 168.

But I'm with Walt Grace..."September it is...unless of course I need to retake in December"

This is one of my largest motivators. I want to be DONE after the September test.

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby WaltGrace83 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:40 pm

I used to be SUPER concerned about getting the test done and over with. Yet within the last few months I have realized that I'd rather prep hard and smart, ensuring a high score rather than an early completion. I don't care if I am studying until NEXT june if that means I will get the score I want.

User avatar
urbanecologie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby urbanecologie » Sat May 03, 2014 8:53 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:I used to be SUPER concerned about getting the test done and over with. Yet within the last few months I have realized that I'd rather prep hard and smart, ensuring a high score rather than an early completion. I don't care if I am studying until NEXT june if that means I will get the score I want.


Same here, though my absolute deadline is June 2015, because I'd like to apply that fall.

User avatar
BillPackets
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby BillPackets » Sun May 04, 2014 12:29 am

What's everybody drilling right now?

A.Taarabt7
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:35 am

How do you all deal with fatigue? I feel that I have been studying too much. I am not reading the LR stimulus as effective as I use to. I have taken a break but feel I might need to take a longer break like 5 days or 2 weeks.

Anyone know what I mean?

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun May 04, 2014 1:21 am

BillPackets wrote:What's everybody drilling right now?

Almost done with my LR study. Will start drilling all types this week or next. Then on to LG.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests