The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
canuckofchicago
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby canuckofchicago » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Good afternoon.

I was hoping someone can help me resolve my confusion regarding a specific rule in Logic Games.

I am studying from Manhattan Logic Games and I am coming across a rule that is diagrammed differently. Perhaps I am losing my mind or missing a key word. Below is what I am referring to:

Pg 180 diagrams the following rule; Highwire was published exactly two years after Melted - as M_H. Now pg 195 has the rule; There are exactly two tours between the tour L and M and it is diagrammed as M_ _L.

My question is if the rule says "exactly' and followed by a number how is it diagrammed?

Please advise.
Thanks,

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:36 pm

canuckofchicago wrote:Good afternoon.

I was hoping someone can help me resolve my confusion regarding a specific rule in Logic Games.

I am studying from Manhattan Logic Games and I am coming across a rule that is diagrammed differently. Perhaps I am losing my mind or missing a key word. Below is what I am referring to:

Pg 180 diagrams the following rule; Highwire was published exactly two years after Melted - as M_H. Now pg 195 has the rule; There are exactly two tours between the tour L and M and it is diagrammed as M_ _L.

My question is if the rule says "exactly' and followed by a number how is it diagrammed?

Please advise.
Thanks,


I think you are missing a key word. The first example, is "Highwire was published exactly two years AFTER Melted". So, like you stated it is diagrammed as M_H. I think it is pretty simple to get this by just counting two spots to the right (or AFTER) of Melted. M 1 2, so Highwire goes in the 2 slot as it is exactly two years after. Which gets you back to the diagram M_H.

The second example you gave says, "There are exactly two tours BETWEEN the tour L and M". Here there needs to be exactly two spaces BETWEEN L and M. So just leave two spots between them which gives the diagram you gave, M _ _ L. Also, unless there was another rule given along with this one, L _ _ M would also be an appropriate diagram. This rule alone only has to do with the distance between the tours L and M, not which one comes before or after.

To answer your general question of how to diagram a "rule [that] says "exactly' and followed by a number", it depends on the language used in the rule. It can say exactly X places, to the right/left/above/below/between/after/before/etc. You would diagram these all differently, so you need to read the question carefully and figure out where these "exactly X" places are going. Also, be careful you don't confuse things such as exactly, at least, or at most. That can give you the same type of problems you ran into just now. Be very diligent when reading the rules.

User avatar
chicharon
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Post removed...

Postby chicharon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 am

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 2735
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby The Abyss » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Hello all!

I will also be taking the September LSAT, and this will be my second attempt at the test. My arsenal includes the Manhattan LR, Powerscore LGB, LSAT trainer, and the Cambridge Ultimate LSAT Prep Package (Extreme Endurance Edition). I did not fare very well on my first attempt at the LSAT, but I also did not prepare at all (dumb, I know). I'm hoping with some intense studying over the next nine months to see a dramatic bump in my score.

Good luck to all!

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Seeing that we're 9 months out, I guess it's okay we're slacking in this thread.

I decided against an LSAT class. I think I'm going to end up ordering the MLSAT Trio, LSAT Trainer, and a Cambridge bundle pretty soon. Then use the left over money I would have spent on a class for tutoring should I still need it in a few months. Hoping to get some solid studying done this weekend.

Lsataddict175
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Lsataddict175 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:17 pm

jdom wrote:Seeing that we're 9 months out, I guess it's okay we're slacking in this thread.

I decided against an LSAT class. I think I'm going to end up ordering the MLSAT Trio, LSAT Trainer, and a Cambridge bundle pretty soon. Then use the left over money I would have spent on a class for tutoring should I still need it in a few months. Hoping to get some solid studying done this weekend.


I don't think people are slacking. Most people take the June exam since 1) the exam is given in the afternoon 2) it gives them ample time to prepare for a retake in October or December if necessary. This thread won't really "heat up" until after the June exam. Just my opinion.

Anyway, where is everyone up to in their studies? I just finished chapter 28 in the Trainer and am looking to complete the book in around 1.5 weeks. After, I plan on reading Manhattan LR+ drilling.

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Lsataddict175 wrote:
jdom wrote:Seeing that we're 9 months out, I guess it's okay we're slacking in this thread.

I decided against an LSAT class. I think I'm going to end up ordering the MLSAT Trio, LSAT Trainer, and a Cambridge bundle pretty soon. Then use the left over money I would have spent on a class for tutoring should I still need it in a few months. Hoping to get some solid studying done this weekend.


I don't think people are slacking. Most people take the June exam since 1) the exam is given in the afternoon 2) it gives them ample time to prepare for a retake in October or December if necessary. This thread won't really "heat up" until after the June exam. Just my opinion.

Anyway, where is everyone up to in their studies? I just finished chapter 28 in the Trainer and am looking to complete the book in around 1.5 weeks. After, I plan on reading Manhattan LR+ drilling.


Yes, I wish I could take the June exam as well, but it just doesn't work with my schedule. I just meant the people who usually post in this thread haven't said anything for three days. I don't expect everyone taking the Sept LSAT to make it their life this far out.

I'm still in chapter 3 of Powerscore logic games bible, going to order all the materials I mentioned this weekend most likely.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:29 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bigfish41
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Bigfish41 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Hello fellow TLSers, checking in! This is my second LSAT attempt, hopefully last lol. Can anyone vouch for the LSAT index cards?

Edit: Oh and OP, seems like you're on the right track. I need to master the logic games as well. Took the exam last Oct, but didn't study effectively.

Lsataddict175
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Lsataddict175 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Where is everyone up to in their studies? I'll be finished the Trainer in a week or so, then I'll move on to Manhattan LR and Blueprint LG + drilling.
Also, around how many hours are you putting in each day?

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bigfish41
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Although I'll crack the books open in June, I'm going to be checking in here constantly. I plan on studying eight hours daily--excluding weekends-- in four hour increments. Where are you from OP? East Coast/West Coast?

User avatar
Bigfish41
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Lsataddict175 wrote:Where is everyone up to in their studies? I'll be finished the Trainer in a week or so, then I'll move on to Manhattan LR and Blueprint LG + drilling.
Also, around how many hours are you putting in each day?


How do you like the trainer? I perused through some of the free chapters, they seemed similar to the PS Bibles. I plan on studying 8 hours daily, excluding weekends, in four hour increments. The first four hours are going to be around testing hours and the remainder in the afternoon. I gotta work out in between for some stress relief.

Blueprint LG is awesome. It'll get you to -0 with enough practice. Definitely stick with it!

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm

I've been slacking on LSAT studying, have some midterms coming up that I need to study for this weekend. On Monday I'm going to order LSAT trainer and the Cambridge bundle with question types/full practice tests. I'll run through that and see if I need anymore study materials. Seeing as we're far out, I don't want to study for more than 4 hours a day. I'll probably be more aggressive a few months out from the test and try and really relax a month out from the test.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lsataddict175
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Lsataddict175 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Are you guys studying every single day or are you taking one or two days off per week?

Anyway, I'm excited to finish the LSAT Trainer this week. It was a long, arduous journey but it was definitely worth all the hard work. The book is amazing!

Lastly, what is the general consensus on how to drill LR? Do I do all level 1's,2's... or should I split up the levels evenly? Timed or untimed?

Thank you and we need more people to post. This group needs some life! We're only 9 months out.

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Lsataddict175 wrote:Are you guys studying every single day or are you taking one or two days off per week?

Anyway, I'm excited to finish the LSAT Trainer this week. It was a long, arduous journey but it was definitely worth all the hard work. The book is amazing!

Lastly, what is the general consensus on how to drill LR? Do I do all level 1's,2's... or should I split up the levels evenly? Timed or untimed?

Thank you and we need more people to post. This group needs some life! We're only 9 months out.


I've been spending a couple hours a day during the week and taking weekends off. I'll probably only do that until Feb and do 4 hours on Saturday or Sunday. We're pretty far out so I think we can get away with taking days off. It's nice to be able to do so, and think it will be even nicer a few months in. Glad to hear the trainer is amazing.

I'll look around I think I saw something on how you should drill the different levels of LR. I'm planning on mixing them up.

User avatar
axel.foley
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby axel.foley » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Checking in y'all. I was planning on taking June, but with a full course load and an internship this semester I feel like I just won't have the time to adequately prepare. However, for those applying directly after taking the Sept test, does it freak you out that we only really have one shot at this? Not performing would mean sitting out the cycle for me, which is something I really don't want to do. Definitely some anxiety here. How do you guys deal with this?

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:34 pm

axel.foley wrote:Checking in y'all. I was planning on taking June, but with a full course load and an internship this semester I feel like I just won't have the time to adequately prepare. However, for those applying directly after taking the Sept test, does it freak you out that we only really have one shot at this? Not performing would mean sitting out the cycle for me, which is something I really don't want to do. Definitely some anxiety here. How do you guys deal with this?


I'm a firm believer in not taking the test until you're ready. I don't think I would be ready for the June administration either, and even if I was I have a lot going on around then. I'm going in with the mindset that I'll have done everything possible to prepare for the test, and if I don't do well it will be from something beyond my control. My friend took it at USC and they had a football game/marching band going on during the test. I think something like that would be the only thing to hurt my score. I wouldn't mind too much in such a case to retake in Dec or June and apply the next cycle. But, researching test centers is part of my prep plan too.

I'm too preoccupied with doing well on the Sept test that I'm not thinking about having to retake or apps, that's what the time between D-day and when we get scores back is for.

User avatar
axel.foley
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby axel.foley » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:52 pm

jdom wrote:
axel.foley wrote:Checking in y'all. I was planning on taking June, but with a full course load and an internship this semester I feel like I just won't have the time to adequately prepare. However, for those applying directly after taking the Sept test, does it freak you out that we only really have one shot at this? Not performing would mean sitting out the cycle for me, which is something I really don't want to do. Definitely some anxiety here. How do you guys deal with this?


I'm a firm believer in not taking the test until you're ready. I don't think I would be ready for the June administration either, and even if I was I have a lot going on around then. I'm going in with the mindset that I'll have done everything possible to prepare for the test, and if I don't do well it will be from something beyond my control. My friend took it at USC and they had a football game/marching band going on during the test. I think something like that would be the only thing to hurt my score. I wouldn't mind too much in such a case to retake in Dec or June and apply the next cycle. But, researching test centers is part of my prep plan too.

I'm too preoccupied with doing well on the Sept test that I'm not thinking about having to retake or apps, that's what the time between D-day and when we get scores back is for.


I think this is a great mindset -- thanks for the help. And your avatar just makes everything so much better.

User avatar
canuckofchicago
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby canuckofchicago » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Hello again.

Hopefully someone can help me with this little issue I have with conditional grouping and its setup. I know it is probably small, but it is driving nuts.

I just need to know does the setup go alphabetically or not? For example when the rule says; If H is in, then G is In (pg 345/346 of Logic Book) I would set it up like this:

In [u]Out[/u
H H
G G

But the solutions page (pg 346) shows the reverse G coming before H in each column. So my question is; does it matter which order their in? If so, is it alphabetically or is it whatever letter comes first?

Thanks. Again, I know it is probably a simple question but it is driving my crazy.

eulalia
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby eulalia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Checking in for a retake

Anyone have any insight on Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer -- is it worth buying as a stand-alone study guide?

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:47 pm

eulalia wrote:Checking in for a retake

Anyone have any insight on Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer -- is it worth buying as a stand-alone study guide?


Going to be buying and finding out soon. Check out Mike's thread and website if you haven't already.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”