The Official September 2014 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
schmelling

Silver
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby schmelling » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:13 pm

.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
boris09

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby boris09 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Who would have thought that i could feel guilty studying logic games, even though it's part of the lsat anyways. Currently been on a game spree past two days, which i feel is partially due to me actually being really good at games and mostly to avoid my LR drilling and my RC terror. Gotta will myself through the idea of needing LG as a confidence booster and get cracking on more LR and RC drills

User avatar
hillz

Silver
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Did PT 71 = 171 with distractions. Feeling kind of frustrated because I'm still having trouble finishing LG (usually have to randomly bubble 3 questions or so at the end) and having trouble with science-related passages. No idea why the science passages bother me so much...maybe I'm just putting up a mental block when I see that they are science-related.

Any advice on how to reduce anxiety while working on PTs and on the actual test day? I worry I won't be able to finish in time and then have to re-read questions twice.

blacklungz

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:27 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby blacklungz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Did anyone find PT 63 Section 3 (LR) abnormally difficult, or is it just me? I went -3 on the first LR and -12 on the second. It was like someone punched me in the stomach when I saw my score.

User avatar
flash21

Gold
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:50 pm

hillz wrote:Did PT 71 = 171 with distractions. Feeling kind of frustrated because I'm still having trouble finishing LG (usually have to randomly bubble 3 questions or so at the end) and having trouble with science-related passages. No idea why the science passages bother me so much...maybe I'm just putting up a mental block when I see that they are science-related.

Any advice on how to reduce anxiety while working on PTs and on the actual test day? I worry I won't be able to finish in time and then have to re-read questions twice.


Ever consider doing meditation? I know it sounds super voo-doo or whatever, but its been scientifically proven to help improve focus, concentration and motivation. I'm going tot start soon. You can do it 20 minutes a day, once or twice a day and it helps with anxiety and stuff like that.

User avatar
hillz

Silver
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:07 pm

flash21 wrote:
hillz wrote:Did PT 71 = 171 with distractions. Feeling kind of frustrated because I'm still having trouble finishing LG (usually have to randomly bubble 3 questions or so at the end) and having trouble with science-related passages. No idea why the science passages bother me so much...maybe I'm just putting up a mental block when I see that they are science-related.

Any advice on how to reduce anxiety while working on PTs and on the actual test day? I worry I won't be able to finish in time and then have to re-read questions twice.


Ever consider doing meditation? I know it sounds super voo-doo or whatever, but its been scientifically proven to help improve focus, concentration and motivation. I'm going tot start soon. You can do it 20 minutes a day, once or twice a day and it helps with anxiety and stuff like that.


That's a good idea. I'm not very good at relaxing and I usually avoid yoga/activities that involve being quiet and meditating but I really should work on it.

HRomanus

Silver
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby HRomanus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:13 pm

PT 61 today: 174.

LR -3
LG -4
RC -0

LG really pissed me off. I've been -0 to -3 for over a month now and I felt unprepared and unstable during the entire section. I haven't practiced LG since Tuesday, so I think that contributed. From now on I'm sticking to drilling LG every day. Very happy with LR and RC scores.

User avatar
boris09

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby boris09 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:31 pm

HRomanus wrote:PT 61 today: 174.

LR -3
LG -4
RC -0

LG really pissed me off. I've been -0 to -3 for over a month now and I felt unprepared and unstable during the entire section. I haven't practiced LG since Tuesday, so I think that contributed. From now on I'm sticking to drilling LG every day. Very happy with LR and RC scores.


I know what you mean, no matter how good you are in LG, it seems that taking a few days off can totally mess up your groove.

Btw, mirin' your LR and RC score

User avatar
flash21

Gold
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:39 pm

hillz wrote:
flash21 wrote:
hillz wrote:Did PT 71 = 171 with distractions. Feeling kind of frustrated because I'm still having trouble finishing LG (usually have to randomly bubble 3 questions or so at the end) and having trouble with science-related passages. No idea why the science passages bother me so much...maybe I'm just putting up a mental block when I see that they are science-related.

Any advice on how to reduce anxiety while working on PTs and on the actual test day? I worry I won't be able to finish in time and then have to re-read questions twice.


Ever consider doing meditation? I know it sounds super voo-doo or whatever, but its been scientifically proven to help improve focus, concentration and motivation. I'm going tot start soon. You can do it 20 minutes a day, once or twice a day and it helps with anxiety and stuff like that.


That's a good idea. I'm not very good at relaxing and I usually avoid yoga/activities that involve being quiet and meditating but I really should work on it.


yeah I think it could help. I read a book that about will power written by a Ph.D at Stanford, she said if will power and focus were a muscle, meditation would be the direct exercise to help foster its growth. Its probably pretty underestimated of how helpful it can be.. damn I need to start doing it asap!

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:57 pm

June 2007 curve is not very forgiving. :(

HRomanus

Silver
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby HRomanus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:15 pm

My Ticon Blacks and Staedtler sharpener have been letting me down. The erasers on the ticon blacks are TTTT and the Staedtler has been breaking off my pencil tips. I tried the Tricons but hated the feel in my hand.

User avatar
hillz

Silver
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:51 pm

HRomanus wrote:My Ticon Blacks and Staedtler sharpener have been letting me down. The erasers on the ticon blacks are TTTT and the Staedtler has been breaking off my pencil tips. I tried the Tricons but hated the feel in my hand.


I have a shitty sharpener from Target. Must know - does a sharpener really make a difference or are all sharpeners just kinda shitty? Thinking about buying a nicer one.

HRomanus

Silver
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby HRomanus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:57 pm

hillz wrote:
HRomanus wrote:My Ticon Blacks and Staedtler sharpener have been letting me down. The erasers on the ticon blacks are TTTT and the Staedtler has been breaking off my pencil tips. I tried the Tricons but hated the feel in my hand.


I have a shitty sharpener from Target. Must know - does a sharpener really make a difference or are all sharpeners just kinda shitty? Thinking about buying a nicer one.


The Staedtler double hole is really nice and I have no complaints. I think the breaking problem is because I've had it since June and the hole I use is really dull. I'll be getting another one before the test. I used a shitty Walmart sharpener on my Oct 2013 LSAT and it definitely wasn't as nice as this one.

User avatar
lsatkillah

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:09 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lsatkillah » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:48 pm

.
Last edited by lsatkillah on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
schmelling

Silver
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby schmelling » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 am

.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:41 am

lsatkillah wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
lsatkillah wrote:PT64: 170
LG: -2 (including 2 unfinished)
LR: -2, -5 (including 2 unfinished)
RC: -4

WHY DO I STILL HAVE TIMING ISSUES.
LR: I stick to first 15 in 15 minutes. The later questions in the section seem to slow me down.
LG: Gaining a better handle of LG, going under 8min45sec on the easier ones, but apparently still not affording enough compensation for the more difficult problems.

I don't notice anyone else here mentioning any unfinished problems. I choose not to guess randomly on the remaining ones, but regardless, I assume a great many of you LSAT wizards can give all of them a good read through. How!!!!!??


Your 7sage post was the best. It was the most masterfully constructed, poetic complaint I have ever read. You're my hero.

Drill Parallel/flaw to save time in LR. And don't second guess yourself too much in LR either.
Figure out some LG shortcuts to save time there.
Just keep drilling everything, honestly. Speed will come eventually.

Also, stay awesome.


Aw shucks I literally wrote that in a rage when I was rudely awakened hahahaha...hopefully the LSAT essay section won't turn out so. Hmmm looks I might give the Cambridge packets a try then. Thanks!


I really hope you turn that amazing post into your essay for the writing prompt.

cavalier2015

Bronze
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby cavalier2015 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:18 am

Not sure if everyone's doing this already, but I'll be taking my PTs at 8:30am from tomorrow on. Not a great morning person but need to be atleast for the next 5 weeks!

User avatar
boris09

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby boris09 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:05 am

cavalier2015 wrote:Not sure if everyone's doing this already, but I'll be taking my PTs at 8:30am from tomorrow on. Not a great morning person but need to be atleast for the next 5 weeks!


Are you already acclimated to waking up early enough to have breakfast and get mentally prepared to write a PT at 8:30? If not, it'll be interesting to see how well your body can adjust to writing a test that early simply by going to sleep earlier the previous night for the first time. I'm planning on starting writing at 8:30 soon as well, but I have yet to get my sleeping schedule on point, so i'm curious if there will be a general drop off or not

Good luck tomorrow!

ilikebaseball

Gold
Posts: 4102
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:33 am

I'm not doing it until 3 weeks from the day.

xz01

Bronze
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby xz01 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:31 am

Guys, I need some help for LR.

I'm currently missing 5 or 6 per section: so far, I worked on finishing the first 10 in under 10 minutes and I am able to finish them without any mistake or maybe one sometimes. But after the tenth question, I feel as if the questions get tricky, especially around 12-17 and I make silly mistakes like for example I read one answer choice and feel like it's good enough and I move on, not reading the other ones. I also make stupid mistakes but when I blind review, I'm literally insulting myself for having that question wrong because it was that obvious but still under timed conditions, I wasn't able to see it. I've been drilling the Cambridge packets and it really helped me.

I'm currently enrolled in a MLSAT class and I have to say Matt Sherman is probably the best at LR and he really helped me improve; I think my problem is that I try to finish the section too quickly and I make silly mistakes. I wanted to know how you guys deal with questions past the first 10. Do you take a pause? Do you still follow "your instinct"? Any advice?

cavalier2015

Bronze
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby cavalier2015 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 am

cavalier2015 wrote:Not sure if everyone's doing this already, but I'll be taking my PTs at 8:30am from tomorrow on. Not a great morning person but need to be atleast for the next 5 weeks!


This failed miserably. Woke up only a few minutes ago haha

Gray

Platinum
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

.

Postby Gray » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:30 am

.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:07 am

cavalier2015 wrote:Not sure if everyone's doing this already, but I'll be taking my PTs at 8:30am from tomorrow on. Not a great morning person but need to be atleast for the next 5 weeks!


Its six weeks! Not five. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Toby Ziegler

Silver
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:15 am

Egzon wrote:Guys, I need some help for LR.

I'm currently missing 5 or 6 per section: so far, I worked on finishing the first 10 in under 10 minutes and I am able to finish them without any mistake or maybe one sometimes. But after the tenth question, I feel as if the questions get tricky, especially around 12-17 and I make silly mistakes like for example I read one answer choice and feel like it's good enough and I move on, not reading the other ones. I also make stupid mistakes but when I blind review, I'm literally insulting myself for having that question wrong because it was that obvious but still under timed conditions, I wasn't able to see it. I've been drilling the Cambridge packets and it really helped me.

I'm currently enrolled in a MLSAT class and I have to say Matt Sherman is probably the best at LR and he really helped me improve; I think my problem is that I try to finish the section too quickly and I make silly mistakes. I wanted to know how you guys deal with questions past the first 10. Do you take a pause? Do you still follow "your instinct"? Any advice?

Even if it is just a psychological help; try starting on question 11 instead of 1. See how it goes.

User avatar
mornincounselor

Silver
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:13 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests