The Official September 2014 Study Group

joeisreallycool
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby joeisreallycool » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 pm

HRomanus wrote:
joeisreallycool wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
joeisreallycool wrote:Did you guys hop around when drilling? Not just for individual question types but sections too?

I've been pretty much drilling LR because its my weakest point and have yet to touch LG because I'm already fairly good at it, just need to nail down timing a bit better. Definitely feel behind the eight ball seeing all of you already going PT after PT.


You definitely need to do at least one PT every week starting the last week of August. You cannot go into the test without at least 2-4 PTs under your belt. I didn't when I took last October and it definitely hurt me.



Do PTs themselves help with timing?


Yes, PTs will help with timing in that you're doing a bunch of timed sections. PTs reinforce your fundamentals and develop time management and stamina skills. The latter skills are why you really need to PT before a test. Certainly timed sections are relevant and worthwhile, especially while drilling, but they're not replicating the intellectual stress of a full-length test with scantron.


Definitely see that in the 3 PTs I've done. Completely DEAD by the end of it, and they are only 4 sections. What about drilling with the earlier PTs? More than likely I would just use them for experimental sections anyways, any experience with just drilling full sections at a time? Or would it be better to use them as experimentals.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:04 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
Irish11 wrote:Another question for re-takers: What do people typically do/what are people allowed to do during the break? Sitting there staring at the clock makes me lose focus. Can I take a walk? Go to the back of the room and do jumping jacks? Or just sit quietly and lose focus?


We were allowed to leave the room. I went for a walk (the proctors made sure we didn't leave the particular floor we were on) and made small talk with the people in the hallway. By the time I returned to the test center I had almost forgotten I'd done 3 sections already.

Disclaimer: this could vary by test center

Disclaimer about the disclaimer: I doubt that it does


We were allowed to leave the room and even go to a different floor (because there were more bathrooms there). We just couldn't leave the building. I ate a Larabar during my break and drank some water to try and refresh.

cavalier2015
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:07 pm

the more PTs I take, the more I realize that I just don't have a natural feel for assumptions. I'm going to visit the trainer again and go over the flaws sections and see if that helps.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:12 pm

JackelJ wrote:What materials have you been using to learn concepts? Have you tried taking untimed tests or only timed?


JackelJ wrote: I have been using Blueprint's materials, so I did one pass through all of their video lessons to see the concepts before attending their classes that are now taking place. I have found the videos to be very useful and their concepts easy and quick to learn and find the right answer. There is a lot of "homework" that Blueprint gives you which is just tons of problems grouped together based on question type and I've been going through that before they are formally assigned so I am 2/3 through learning and mastering all of the concepts. The actual classes move too slowly for me so I don't find them too beneficial because everyone asks questions that are simple so I usually just do my own thing there and use the time to study on my own while in class. I have only done timed PTs, but when I am just practicing I give myself as much time as I need per question to get the correct answer and understand why it is the correct answer.


I don't know much about Blueprint and I know everyone is different. It sounds like you're practicing a lot already, but you might also consider drilling. The Cambridge packets that are sorted by type are very helpful. I know you can sort them on your own if you don't want to shell out the cash for them. For me, drilling has been very helpful. It sounds like you understand concepts (or are getting there) and just need practice & repetition.

User avatar
chimera
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby chimera » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Irish11 wrote:Another question for re-takers: What do people typically do/what are people allowed to do during the break? Sitting there staring at the clock makes me lose focus. Can I take a walk? Go to the back of the room and do jumping jacks? Or just sit quietly and lose focus?


Power pose is tcr

Took pt 48 today.
LR1: -4
LG: -1
RC: -3
LR2: -6.
165.
Time to drill more LR forever.

HRomanus
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby HRomanus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:55 pm

joeisreallycool wrote:Definitely see that in the 3 PTs I've done. Completely DEAD by the end of it, and they are only 4 sections. What about drilling with the earlier PTs? More than likely I would just use them for experimental sections anyways, any experience with just drilling full sections at a time? Or would it be better to use them as experimentals.


At this point in the game, you won't need to worry about wasting PTs with drilling. Save PTs 62-72 for PTing between now and Sept 27. Do two a week. Other than that, use as many actual sections and any questions as you can when you drill - including using them in 5 and 6 section PTs. Drilling with a full section is good because it reinforces time management and stamina skills, but always blind review them so you are also reinforcing your fundamentals. In other cases, if you don't have 35 minutes drill 1-10 questions.

Here's my rough plan until Sept 27 (I work FT, including M, T, and R evenings until 8pm):
- 2 PTs per weekend (1 Saturday, 1 Sunday)
- 10 LR questions per day (from the Cambridge LR difficulty packet)
- 1 LG per weekday (from the Cambridge LR difficulty packet)
- 1 RC passage per weekday (from the Cambridge RC difficulty packet)
- 2 sections per Wednesday (from old PTs from Cambridge) - determined based on the sections I'm underperfoming on PTs

User avatar
Blockofcheese
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Blockofcheese » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:59 pm

rwe13 wrote:Straight up dreaming about logic games almost every night. My mind will make up some convoluted game that I'll be like half asleep trying to figure out before I'll finally wake up and realize that the game isn't real and doesn't make sense because it was authored by my subconscious hah.



I made an account just to reply to this. I'm so glad I'm not the only one doing this. My dreams tend to be based on LR instead of LG, but I've had 3 of them in the last few weeks lol

joeisreallycool
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby joeisreallycool » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:04 pm

HRomanus wrote:
joeisreallycool wrote:Definitely see that in the 3 PTs I've done. Completely DEAD by the end of it, and they are only 4 sections. What about drilling with the earlier PTs? More than likely I would just use them for experimental sections anyways, any experience with just drilling full sections at a time? Or would it be better to use them as experimentals.


At this point in the game, you won't need to worry about wasting PTs with drilling. Save PTs 62-72 for PTing between now and Sept 27. Do two a week. Other than that, use as many actual sections and any questions as you can when you drill - including using them in 5 and 6 section PTs. Drilling with a full section is good because it reinforces time management and stamina skills, but always blind review them so you are also reinforcing your fundamentals. In other cases, if you don't have 35 minutes drill 1-10 questions.

Here's my rough plan until Sept 27 (I work FT, including M, T, and R evenings until 8pm):
- 2 PTs per weekend (1 Saturday, 1 Sunday)
- 10 LR questions per day (from the Cambridge LR difficulty packet)
- 1 LG per weekday (from the Cambridge LR difficulty packet)
- 1 RC passage per weekday (from the Cambridge RC difficulty packet)
- 2 sections per Wednesday (from old PTs from Cambridge) - determined based on the sections I'm underperfoming on PTs


Thank you so much. I needed a set guide like this, I've been running around like a chicken without a head jumping around all over the place.

HRomanus
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby HRomanus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 pm

joeisreallycool wrote:Thank you so much. I needed a set guide like this, I've been running around like a chicken without a head jumping around all over the place.


My plan is really only applicable to me at this point. Take an untimed, 4-section PT ASAP so you can figure out where your studying has gotten you and where you need to focus more attention and time. The only constant is that you need to be doing 1-2 timed PTs per week from this point forward. Other than that, find out where your weaknesses are and target your drilling using Cambridge packets.

joeisreallycool
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby joeisreallycool » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:19 pm

HRomanus wrote:
joeisreallycool wrote:Thank you so much. I needed a set guide like this, I've been running around like a chicken without a head jumping around all over the place.


My plan is really only applicable to me at this point. Take an untimed, 4-section PT ASAP so you can figure out where your studying has gotten you and where you need to focus more attention and time. The only constant is that you need to be doing 1-2 timed PTs per week from this point forward. Other than that, find out where your weaknesses are and target your drilling using Cambridge packets.


It was just nice to see someone elses outline of how they plan to attack this. I know I definitely need to tweak what you've laid out, but it is still a starting point on how to move forward.

HRomanus
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby HRomanus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:26 pm

joeisreallycool wrote:It was just nice to see someone elses outline of how they plan to attack this. I know I definitely need to tweak what you've laid out, but it is still a starting point on how to move forward.


I'm glad I could help! TLS has been incredibly helpful to me. I didn't even know about Cambridge or Manhattan before coming here.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:57 pm

mornincounselor wrote:It's amazing what a weekend of pure LG drilling can do for you. I'm hitting these upper-level grouping games out of the park now. Just knocked off the CD game in 8 minutes flat. Starting to get really confident in my non-rare games. Going to spend some extra time towards the end of my prep on those games, but after I run through these packets one more time each I'm going right into RC where I'm still pretty fragile.


How much drilling did you end up doing? :shock:

Jon McCarty
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Jon McCarty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:19 pm

mornincounselor wrote:It's amazing what a weekend of pure LG drilling can do for you. I'm hitting these upper-level grouping games out of the park now. Just knocked off the CD game in 8 minutes flat. Starting to get really confident in my non-rare games. Going to spend some extra time towards the end of my prep on those games, but after I run through these packets one more time each I'm going right into RC where I'm still pretty fragile.


That's awesome, keep up the good work!!

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier2015
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 pm

If I've got PTs 53-72 to burn through until sep 27th, how many PTs on average should I take per week? I know I suck on LR so I want to devote most of my time on assumption question drilling. Any help would be great.

My lg has been consistently -1/0 and rc been -2 under timed conditions so i really need to focus on LR

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:47 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:If I've got PTs 53-72 to burn through until sep 27th, how many PTs on average should I take per week? I know I suck on LR so I want to devote most of my time on assumption question drilling. Any help would be great.

My lg has been consistently -1/0 and rc been -2 under timed conditions so i really need to focus on LR


The general consensus is no more than 4…2-3 would be ideal.

Jon McCarty
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Jon McCarty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:51 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:If I've got PTs 53-72 to burn through until sep 27th, how many PTs on average should I take per week? I know I suck on LR so I want to devote most of my time on assumption question drilling. Any help would be great.

My lg has been consistently -1/0 and rc been -2 under timed conditions so i really need to focus on LR


I would start with heavy drilling and light PTs and gradually switch to light drilling and heavy PTs.

Here's an example PT schedule broken down by week for the 20 PTs you have left (I would do the earliest PTs first and work my way to the more recent ones):

8/11-8/16: 1 PT
8/17-8/23: 2 PTs
8/24-8/30: 2 PTs
8/31-9/6: 3 PTs
9/7-9/13: 4 PTs
9/14-9/20: 4 PTs
9/21-9/24: 4 PTs

Most people like to rest the day or two before the exam so take that time into account.

*PT 72 contained a rare game that threw a lot of people off so you may want to move that up in the order so that you have some time to deconstruct the game and so that the last PT you take doesn't rattle you.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:59 pm

PT47
LR-1
RC-3
LR-5
LG-0
170

I seem to be peaking a little bit. Having trouble getting 171 or higher

User avatar
sashafierce
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sashafierce » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi all, so I analysed my LR breakdown for my last five PTs and my strongest areas are: Flaw 91%, NA 88%, RRE 89%, Method of reasoning 89%, PSA 89%, Strengthen 86% and my worst QTs are MBT 69%, MSS 76%, Weaken 69%, PF 67% ans AP 71%. I have since tweaked my approach to AP so I should see an increase in my next PT. I spent most of today tweaking and testing my approach to MSS questions. Can someone comment on my approach :D

1. DO NOT TRY TO PREDICT ANSWER CHOICES FOCUS YOUR ENERGY ON:
a. Understanding the stimulus
b. Eliminating wrong answer choices

When evaluating answer choices look out for:
 Degree shift- for example moving from all to most incorrectly
 Opposite meaning-An answer that is the complete opposite of the stated facts in the stimulus
 Reverse answer/logic- these have similar wording as the stimulus but the order is reversed
 New information- be weary of these answers before eliminating these questions be sure that 1. The answer is not a combination of two or more statements 2. The answer does not fall within the scope of a term or concept
 Exaggerated answers- board overstatements based on facts from the stimulus
 Unjustified connections- answer choices that combine parts of the argument to make faulty inference
 Answer choices that make unsupported comparison

Eliminate obviously wrong answer choices based on extreme language. Look out for words such as:

• Best
• Better
• Most effective
• Only
• Most
• Most efficient
• More easily
• Greater
• All
• The only way
• The best way
• Generally (means most)
• Majority (means most)
• Typically (means most)
• Most often
• No other
• More likely (usually introduces some irrelevant comparison)
• No more likely (usually introduces some irrelevant comparison)

2. IF down to two answer choices use the “Therefore Test”. Re read stimulus and add Therefore “Answer Choice” this should help you see which answer choice is “most supported” by the facts in the stimulus.

PS: this may seem really familiar because its a combination of thing I noticed while drilling (i.e. extreme language list), MLSAT, The Trainer, 7sage course and random post on TLS.
Last edited by sashafierce on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lsatkillah
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:09 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lsatkillah » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:29 pm

PT 61

RC: -5 (including uf: 1)
LR: -7 (including uf: 1)
LG: -1

Scaled: 169

Ridiculously inconsistent on RC and LR. :x :cry:

User avatar
lsatkillah
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:09 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby lsatkillah » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 pm

@sashafierce, noted. For someone who hasn't been through the gamut of prep materials, thanks!

User avatar
Blockofcheese
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Blockofcheese » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:53 pm

sashafierce wrote:Hi all, so I analysed my LR breakdown for my last five PTs and my strongest areas are: Flaw 91%, NA 88%, RRE 89%, Method of reasoning 89%, PSA 89%, Strengthen 86% and my worst QTs are MBT 69%, MSS 76%, Weaken 69%, PF 67% ans AP 71%. I have since tweaked my approach to AP so I should see an increase in my next PT. I spent most of today tweaking and testing my approach to MSS questions. Can someone comment on my approach :D

1. DO NOT TRY TO PREDICT ANSWER CHOICES FOCUS YOUR ENERGY ON:
a. Understanding the stimulus
b. Eliminating wrong answer choices

When evaluating answer choices look out for:
 Degree shift- for example moving from all to most incorrectly
 Opposite meaning-An answer that is the complete opposite of the stated facts in the stimulus
 Reverse answer/logic- these have similar wording as the stimulus but the order is reversed
 New information- be weary of these answers before eliminating these questions be sure that 1. The answer is not a combination of two or more statements 2. The answer does not fall within the scope of a term or concept
 Exaggerated answers- board overstatements based on facts from the stimulus
 Unjustified connections- answer choices that combine parts of the argument to make faulty inference
 Answer choices that make unsupported comparison

Eliminate obviously wrong answer choices based on extreme language. Look out for words such as:

• Best
• Better
• Most effective
• Only
• Most
• Most efficient
• More easily
• Greater
• All
• The only way
• The best way
• Generally (means most)
• Majority (means most)
• Typically (means most)
• Most often
• No other
• More likely (usually introduces some irrelevant comparison)
• No more likely (usually introduces some irrelevant comparison)

2. IF down to two answer choices use the “Therefore Test”. Re read stimulus and add Therefore “Answer Choice” this should help you see which answer choice is “most supported” by the facts in the stimulus.

PS: this may seem really familiar because its a combination of thing I noticed while drilling (i.e. extreme language list), MLSAT, The Trainer, 7sage course and random post on TLS.


Are you just looking to increase your score, or is timing an issue?

I know for me, doing answer predictions has improved my score a decent amount. There is only 1 right answer, so if you get down to 2 you're overlooking something. But that's what works for me. I've found that you really have to mash up all the tips and figure out which ones work for you.

User avatar
sashafierce
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby sashafierce » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Blockofcheese wrote:Are you just looking to increase your score, or is timing an issue?

I know for me, doing answer predictions has improved my score a decent amount. There is only 1 right answer, so if you get down to 2 you're overlooking something. But that's what works for me. I've found that you really have to mash up all the tips and figure out which ones work for you.


Timing is a major issue for me but for MSS questions I have found that trying to predict the correct answer is not usually a useful step because there is so much wiggle room for e.g. answer choices that combine facts in the stimulus or repeat one fact. For MBT (especially those based on conditional logic) I predict the correct answer, pick it and move on but for MSS I try to focus more on understanding the stimulus.


lsatkillah wrote:@sashafierce, noted. For someone who hasn't been through the gamut of prep materials, thanks!


lol, I have read alot of the prep books and tried each individually, I recently put down all of the books and decided to focus on finding a strategy that works best for me :)

cavalier2015
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:48 pm

really dumb question but for strengthen questions: when i find a flaw, i want an AC that addresses this and fixes it or something that just points it out? drawing a blank right now




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean, GurleyGurleyGone, Instrumental, jdanz, Mq666, mrgstephe, ngogirl12, proteinshake and 13 guests