The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
longhorn65
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby longhorn65 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:57 pm

mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


Good job man. I've found myself in a bit of a rut this week. Seem to have lost some motivation :( disappointed in myself for sure!

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 pm

luke65 wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


Good job man. I've found myself in a bit of a rut this week. Seem to have lost some motivation :( disappointed in myself for sure!


same here luke. For some reason I just can't study after work this week.

I think it's time for me to take a 2 or 3 day break. That's what I'm going to do. I have decided :mrgreen:

hopefully when I come back, I'll be as motivated as I have been the past three months.

User avatar
longhorn65
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby longhorn65 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:PT 50

LR-0
LR-0
LG-0
RC-2

=180! :)


Congrats!!
Are you a retaker? What are the materials you've been using?


I am, but that thread is currently sleeping so I decided to come and hang with the cool kids that are still awake. :wink:

I've been focusing on my RC this time around, and my Flaw-Weaken questions…

I re-drilled Flaw, and Weaken packets.

My RC needed work. I was -2 per passage all the time with -1 on my good days. I've been trying to focus on what works for me. I'm still trying to figure that out. Ill be retaking prep tests 51-73 so I will asses as I go.

I have one more Cambridge package left-the science one! :| Will be drilling that shortly.


Im curious, what is your thought process when you approach argument questions? I have the hardest time identifying flaws and just dealing with arguments in general. Any advice would be appreciated and congrats on that unicorn!

User avatar
longhorn65
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby longhorn65 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
luke65 wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


Good job man. I've found myself in a bit of a rut this week. Seem to have lost some motivation :( disappointed in myself for sure!


same here luke. For some reason I just can't study after work this week.

I think it's time for me to take a 2 or 3 day break. That's what I'm going to do. I have decided :mrgreen:

hopefully when I come back, I'll be as motivated as I have been the past three months.

Same for me. I go to work I go to my LSAT course, I tell myself I'll study more once I get home, I look at the clock and BAM! its 1am and i have to go to sleep. I have to get my motivation back.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5992
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Yeah, I for one am feeling the burn out.

I felt like total shit while writing PTs this weekend. My scores were both above average for me, but physically I just wanted to throw in the towel. I think I'm just going to take Saturday off to sleep in and have a little fun, and just do a little drilling on Sunday to keep my head in the game.

some1uknown
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby some1uknown » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 pm

luke65 wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
luke65 wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


Good job man. I've found myself in a bit of a rut this week. Seem to have lost some motivation :( disappointed in myself for sure!


same here luke. For some reason I just can't study after work this week.

I think it's time for me to take a 2 or 3 day break. That's what I'm going to do. I have decided :mrgreen:

hopefully when I come back, I'll be as motivated as I have been the past three months.

Same for me. I go to work I go to my LSAT course, I tell myself I'll study more once I get home, I look at the clock and BAM! its 1am and i have to go to sleep. I have to get my motivation back.



Same, even with doing a test a week and drilling the rest of the days, i'm slowly losing the ability to keep myself going. Granted, my boss is currently out of the office and I've been working on lsat the whole time, but I can't get myself to work as much anymore.

User avatar
boris09
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby boris09 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 pm

smccgrey wrote:Yeah, I for one am feeling the burn out.

I felt like total shit while writing PTs this weekend. My scores were both above average for me, but physically I just wanted to throw in the towel. I think I'm just going to take Saturday off to sleep in and have a little fun, and just do a little drilling on Sunday to keep my head in the game.


I think i know how you feel lol. I find it so hard to finish the day thinking i've studied 'enough', even if i've spent hours studying. The guilt from telling myself 'oh i'll just relax all day' is too much to bare

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5992
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:32 pm

boris09 wrote:
smccgrey wrote:Yeah, I for one am feeling the burn out.

I felt like total shit while writing PTs this weekend. My scores were both above average for me, but physically I just wanted to throw in the towel. I think I'm just going to take Saturday off to sleep in and have a little fun, and just do a little drilling on Sunday to keep my head in the game.


I think i know how you feel lol. I find it so hard to finish the day thinking i've studied 'enough', even if i've spent hours studying. The guilt from telling myself 'oh i'll just relax all day' is too much to bare


Hahahaha yeah, even saying that I wouldn't be doing a PT this weekend was difficult. I might get guilty and do one on Sunday. I'm chasing that PT 180 so hard right now that I might not be able to resist.

cavalier2015
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby cavalier2015 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:39 pm

PT 51 today:

LR: -10
RC: -2
LG: -1
Score: 169

so i've realized my biggest weakness in LR is with Flaws, MSS and MBT questions. I made an extensive outline (that i've actually posted on here) of all the flaws that are commonly tested on the LSAT. my problem is that i am usually able to roughly describe the flaw but when i get to the answer choices i just simply fail. i cannot translate the flaw into the context of the problem. i get really caught up in the flaw qs that have ACs that are contextual rather than ACs that simply define a flaw. as for MSS/MBT, I usually get lost in the stimulus and can't pick out whats important. is the entire stimulus important for these or are there certain things that are advisable to pick up on? i feel on these questions, i am just spending a lot of time looking at the ACs and seeing if its mentioned anywhere in the stimulus and then taking more time understanding if its a reference that could be made or not.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Learn_Live_Hope
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Learn_Live_Hope » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:00 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:PT 51 today:

LR: -10
RC: -2
LG: -1
Score: 169

so i've realized my biggest weakness in LR is with Flaws, MSS and MBT questions. I made an extensive outline (that i've actually posted on here) of all the flaws that are commonly tested on the LSAT. my problem is that i am usually able to roughly describe the flaw but when i get to the answer choices i just simply fail. i cannot translate the flaw into the context of the problem. i get really caught up in the flaw qs that have ACs that are contextual rather than ACs that simply define a flaw. as for MSS/MBT, I usually get lost in the stimulus and can't pick out whats important. is the entire stimulus important for these or are there certain things that are advisable to pick up on? i feel on these questions, i am just spending a lot of time looking at the ACs and seeing if its mentioned anywhere in the stimulus and then taking more time understanding if its a reference that could be made or not.


any help would be greatly appreciated.


Congrats. That's a great score! With some tweaking you will be in 170+ range in no time. :)

simplytea
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby simplytea » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:07 pm

I figure this might be helpful (who the eff knows if someone else has posted this already), I found* it today when looking up the answer to a question that hinged on the word "usually":

"Here's a short list of words for "some" and "most"

SOME
some
many
several
a few a couple
a large amount
a significant amount
there are (as in "there are politicians who are corrupt.")
often
frequently
occasionally
sometimes
regularly
not all* (equivalent to "some are not")


MOST

a majority
more than half
most
nearly all
almost all
typically
usually
generally
few* (equivalent to "most are not")


And remember, it's not an exhaustive list, but it'll take care of 90% of the cases you see."

*Credit goes to Manhattan LSAT

User avatar
longhorn65
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby longhorn65 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:16 pm

smccgrey wrote:Yeah, I for one am feeling the burn out.

I felt like total shit while writing PTs this weekend. My scores were both above average for me, but physically I just wanted to throw in the towel. I think I'm just going to take Saturday off to sleep in and have a little fun, and just do a little drilling on Sunday to keep my head in the game.

Good choice. at least your able to push through and keep working Ive been seriously slacking in my drilling.

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:26 pm

that feel when you've been drilling games for months and only get 15 correct on the section timed

brb, going over cambrige for again

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm

flash21 wrote:that feel when you've been drilling games for months and only get 15 correct on the section timed

brb, going over cambrige for again


what game set flash?

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5992
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:32 pm

mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


I love that this was the first post on this page, and everyone is like GOOD GOD NO I NEED A BREAK.

The LSAT is so draining. Although my best friend is writing the MCAT on Saturday, and I am very glad that I'm not in her shoes. It sounds exponentially worse.

User avatar
longhorn65
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby longhorn65 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 pm

smccgrey wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


I love that this was the first post on this page, and everyone is like GOOD GOD NO I NEED A BREAK.

The LSAT is so draining. Although my best friend is writing the MCAT on Saturday, and I am very glad that I'm not in her shoes. It sounds exponentially worse.

it's worse in some aspects but in a sense you train for that all through undergrad. Im bio premed and all the courses I had to take prepped me for the mcat. The LSAT you just come in cold and learn it all a couple months before.

jmjm
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jmjm » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:51 pm

smccgrey wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


I love that this was the first post on this page, and everyone is like GOOD GOD NO I NEED A BREAK.

The LSAT is so draining. Although my best friend is writing the MCAT on Saturday, and I am very glad that I'm not in her shoes. It sounds exponentially worse.


Isn't mcat rc not worse than lsat rc? I may be wrong but iirc It's longer but not more difficult. If it were more challenging then It could have been used to kill lsat rc. any rc more difficult than lsat's?

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5992
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Gray » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 pm

jmjm wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:This is it guys, the home stretch. Can't hold anything back now. Drill, drill, drill. I'm going through all the grouping games 1-38.


I love that this was the first post on this page, and everyone is like GOOD GOD NO I NEED A BREAK.

The LSAT is so draining. Although my best friend is writing the MCAT on Saturday, and I am very glad that I'm not in her shoes. It sounds exponentially worse.


Isn't mcat rc not worse than lsat rc? I may be wrong but iirc It's longer but not more difficult. If it were more challenging then It could have been used to kill lsat rc. any rc more difficult than lsat's?


That sounds right - I don't think it's more difficult content-wise, but I think it's 8 passages in an hour. That's a lot of RC. But it's the other stuff, like physics calculations, that make me really glad I'm not studying for it.

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
flash21 wrote:that feel when you've been drilling games for months and only get 15 correct on the section timed

brb, going over cambrige for again


what game set flash?


PT 43.

In blind review, I got them all right, but I feel as though I don't make the inferences fast enough, and I made some reeaaaaaaaaally dumb mistakes in retrospect. So frustrating.. looking back it was actually not a bad section for difficulty at all.

User avatar
vracovino
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby vracovino » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Worked on drilling Logic Games today and am very satisfied! I ran into the New/ Used CDs game and set it up in a way I actually thought was really intuitive.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try out either PT 50 or Superprep C. I should be drilling but I feel like im addicted to taking PTs and trying to improve my score now that I've started taking full ones

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:42 pm

flash21 wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
flash21 wrote:that feel when you've been drilling games for months and only get 15 correct on the section timed

brb, going over cambrige for again


what game set flash?


PT 43.

In blind review, I got them all right, but I feel as though I don't make the inferences fast enough, and I made some reeaaaaaaaaally dumb mistakes in retrospect. So frustrating.. looking back it was actually not a bad section for difficulty at all.


That's good. Yea I get in those funks too sometimes where I don't make the inferences I need to.

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
flash21 wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
flash21 wrote:that feel when you've been drilling games for months and only get 15 correct on the section timed

brb, going over cambrige for again


what game set flash?


PT 43.

In blind review, I got them all right, but I feel as though I don't make the inferences fast enough, and I made some reeaaaaaaaaally dumb mistakes in retrospect. So frustrating.. looking back it was actually not a bad section for difficulty at all.


That's good. Yea I get in those funks too sometimes where I don't make the inferences I need to.


Yeah, not too worried about it yet though. I'm actually a December taker just hanging around in here. I'm just going to continue to get reps in.

I'm more worried about reading comp. Just did pt 42 reading comp and got 20/27 , but the ones I got wrong timed I got wrong in BR too! I reviewed it earlier and actually found myself laughing at how difficult some of the questions I missed were. Wasn't even ashamed lol. Going to continue working away on that too. LR is going well, did a few sections got 21 correct on both and blind review got -1 and -2.

I've yet to do a PT though since a while back. Not really sure when I should do one if I'm going to write in December. May just keep drilling till like October/Nov

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:50 pm

vracovino wrote:Worked on drilling Logic Games today and am very satisfied! I ran into the New/ Used CDs game and set it up in a way I actually thought was really intuitive.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try out either PT 50 or Superprep C. I should be drilling but I feel like im addicted to taking PTs and trying to improve my score now that I've started taking full ones


Becomes a lot less worse once you link up all of the conditional statements, still a tough game though.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Instrumental, smashbash and 6 guests