The Official September 2014 Study Group

ilikebaseball

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:47 pm

BillPackets wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Just printed off the most difficult RC's again. Gonna do half today and half tomorrow. I'm gonna figure this shit out. Friday is a day off, so I'm gonna fucking figure it out before then.

the simplest, dumbest, most obvious Q to ask on RC if you're down to 2 ACs or whatever: which answer is supported by the passage (and which does not have any support?) srs this Q has really saved me in some pickles n its really an easy Q

love advice like this. keep them coming guys.... people say that "usually the strong answer is incorrect also." I know for sure to not rely on these types of things, but when all else fails, right?

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:51 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Just printed off the most difficult RC's again. Gonna do half today and half tomorrow. I'm gonna figure this shit out. Friday is a day off, so I'm gonna fucking figure it out before then.

the simplest, dumbest, most obvious Q to ask on RC if you're down to 2 ACs or whatever: which answer is supported by the passage (and which does not have any support?) srs this Q has really saved me in some pickles n its really an easy Q

love advice like this. keep them coming guys.... people say that "usually the strong answer is incorrect also." I know for sure to not rely on these types of things, but when all else fails, right?

those little tricks can save u point or two here and there always worth it i can think of a handful of Qs on RC and LR when ive been totally lost but just used POE with kind of understanding the argument being made and paying attention 2 the language in the ACs

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:52 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:a fat curve on Saturday...

sup w fat curves and that bein my new fav phrase

sup Bill
I missed the library q in LR2. I hope we can still be TLS friends.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Im just praying the test follows the trend of 68+ with regard to difficulty and curve. My scores shot up after PT67( did them in order) 65-70 - 168,165,169, 175,173,173. All around my scores tightened up too, 65-67 i avg 3lg, 7lr, 6rc, and on 68-70 i avg 1lg 5lr 2rc.

I just want a 170, which will require a -12 curve and average games.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:00 pm

the curve is already determined, and they dont throw around -14 curves for no reason.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm

I don't know what is wrong with me! Last night on LG practice sections I was -4, -3, today -3. UGH. It's the stupidest loss of points.

Any suggestions guys? I'm going to watch a few 7 Sage videos, but wondering if anyone else has had this happen or has any thoughts.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:So the test is on Saturday. That's cool. The only reason I haven't registered for a retake is because I believe in faith and anomalies.

toby swoops in for the 180 snipe shot

If this happens I will pay for your wedding, Bill and the future Mrs.Packets.
Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:03 pm

my whole score is dependent on RC. If I can just miss one a passage, I'm fine. LG is almost certainly a 0. LR is 2-4. Need RC man. I'm focusing on that hardcore

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:05 pm

sfoglia wrote:I don't know what is wrong with me! Last night on LG practice sections I was -4, -3, today -3. UGH. It's the stupidest loss of points.

Any suggestions guys? I'm going to watch a few 7 Sage videos, but wondering if anyone else has had this happen or has any thoughts.

I would suggest just watching the videos and going through more. I had a problem with LG and what fixed it was watching the 7Sage videos immediately after I finished a gamed where I got more than one wrong, re-doing the entire game beginning with reading the rules and walking through the inferences, and then continuing to do it until I was able to make all inferences and understand them all and finishing the game in under 6 or 7 minutes. Make sure you are understanding the inferences and not just writing them out because you know what they are supposed to be. I would then print out two copies and do them later in the day and again first thing in the morning.

Once you do a shit ton of different game types, you can kind of figure out the type of inferences you should be making from the type it is and the rules you get.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 pm

ErgoSum wrote:
sfoglia wrote:I don't know what is wrong with me! Last night on LG practice sections I was -4, -3, today -3. UGH. It's the stupidest loss of points.

I would suggest just watching the videos and going through more. I had a problem with LG and what fixed it was watching the 7Sage videos immediately after I finished a gamed where I got more than one wrong, re-doing the entire game beginning with reading the rules and walking through the inferences, and then continuing to do it until I was able to make all inferences and understand them all and finishing the game in under 6 or 7 minutes. Make sure you are understanding the inferences and not just writing them out because you know what they are supposed to be. I would then print out two copies and do them later in the day and again first thing in the morning.

Once you do a shit ton of different game types, you can kind of figure out the type of inferences you should be making from the type it is and the rules you get.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Ughhhh. Thanks. I was hoping to avoid doing that again, but I guess it's really necessary, if it didn't stick the first time.

Definitely going to spending time with J. Y. Tonight.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:33 pm

If it pleases TT, may I volunteer for a pregame pumpup speech friday evening

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:35 pm

sfoglia wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Ughhhh. Thanks. I was hoping to avoid doing that again, but I guess it's really necessary, if it didn't stick the first time.

It sucks at first, but once your confidence builds back up and you start slaying games, you get a tingly feeling of excitement at the thought of being able to face one. I really enjoy them now, strangely

ErgoSum

Postby ErgoSum » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Ugh. Off to work.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:40 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:If it pleases TT, may I volunteer for a pregame pumpup speech friday evening

Only if it's via tinychat w volume

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 pm

hetookmetoamovie wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

sup Bill

Did any1 get that right

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:42 pm

BillPackets wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:
BillPackets wrote:the simplest, dumbest, most obvious Q to ask on RC if you're down to 2 ACs or whatever: which answer is supported by the passage (and which does not have any support?) srs this Q has really saved me in some pickles n its really an easy Q

those little tricks can save u point or two here and there always worth it i can think of a handful of Qs on RC and LR when ive been totally lost but just used POE with kind of understanding the argument being made and paying attention 2 the language in the ACs

This is great advice. Is timing an issue for you? I found that my RC improved when I started taking less time on the initial read and spending more time on questions to carefully attack the ACs. It takes extra time to be able to look back at the passage for support, but it saves me a lot of points I would have lost if I had relied on an impression I had from the passage. Referring to the passage is especially important for me in dealing with "tone" questions -- I look specifically for adjectives used that would support the AC (ideally I would have marked any noteworthy adjectives). Overall, too, I try to bank time on passages with content that is easier for me so I have more time to deal with tougher passages. I would have done a lot worse on the mirrors passage today if I hadn't had 15+ minutes to deal with it. And of course the dumb question that I missed was on an easy passage and one in which I specifically chose not to look back at the passage b/c I was "sure" that I remembered what the passage said.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:42 pm

LSAT speculation makes me anxious AF so let's just go w it who knows what the variables r gon b

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:44 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

sup Bill

Did any1 get that right

check

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:45 pm

sfoglia wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Hope you don't mind sharing JY tonight.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 pm

That was rhetorical buster

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 pm

BillPackets wrote:That was rhetorical buster

hereisonebuster

hetookmetoamovie

Postby hetookmetoamovie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Hand answering your rhetorical q

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:51 pm

hereisonehand wrote:

hereisonebuster

Can u change usernames

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Omg my goal on Saturday post LSAT: binge watch seasons 1-3 AD

Edit fiancée wanted 2 to to the Ballet for her bday on sat but I did get up b4 work and make her a bday cake today and wake her up singing happy bday w candles in us maybe I can cash those points in

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”