The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jmjm

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by jmjm » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:03 pm

bound wrote:
jmjm wrote:
bound wrote:PT69 today

LR1 -4
LG - 0
RC -9 :oops:
LR2 - 0

Fuck you RC.
rc has become very hard recently. aren't you retaking a very high score; how was your rc on that test? where are your rc mistakes coming from?
tbh, 69 LR is tough so -4 on it is good.
Yes, retaking higher. But haven't studied since the last go around. Definitely content with a 169 with 6 weeks to go. I missed 5 on RC on the real deal in December 2013, but only missing 5 isn't typical. I just thought December 2013's RC was really easy.
well, the 3rd passage in dec'13 test had a couple of tricky questions even though the passage itself read very smoothly with no prominent wrinkles. The last question of second passage was very tricky imo and iirc one or two in the mirrors passage took quite some time to go back and re-read due to convoluted language of the parts of the passage. overall, -5 on dec'13 rc is good as it was tougher than average but still easier than pt-72.
any idea why pt-71 had such a great curve? imo it was due to very tough LR2.

i don't know how but iirc i got around -4 or -5 in 69 rc but blew it in LR when i took the PT-69.
imo 72 rc >> 71 rc > 69 rc

schmelling

Silver

Post by schmelling » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Last edited by schmelling on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris McCandless

Bronze

Post by Chris McCandless » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:58 pm

With some logic games do you just have to brute force through the game rather than make substantial inferences? For example, in PT7 G3 I just worked through the questions with hypotheticals (which obviously went past time), and even 7sage just set up templates and answered questions from them.

cavalier2015

Bronze

Post by cavalier2015 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 pm

thanks for the tips. anyone have tips on incorrect answer trends on strengthen questions?

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Chris McCandless wrote:With some logic games do you just have to brute force through the game rather than make substantial inferences? For example, in PT7 G3 I just worked through the questions with hypotheticals (which obviously went past time), and even 7sage just set up templates and answered questions from them.
Brute force should be your last line of defense, because it usually won't get you to the correct answer in an acceptable amount of time (as you experienced on this game). I very rarely recommend using brute force because there is almost always a quicker way to solve a problem. On the game you referenced there are actually some good deductions to get up front and you only need a local hypothetical for question 16.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:thanks for the tips. anyone have tips on incorrect answer trends on strengthen questions?
The most common ones that I've noticed that people pick are answer choices that strengthen a slightly different conclusion (which is why it is so important that you know EXACTLY what the conclusion is stating) and answer choices that weaken the argument (usually because the answer choice is relevant to the argument therefore making it somewhat attractive if you're unclear about the stim).

Chris McCandless

Bronze

Post by Chris McCandless » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Jon McCarty wrote:
Chris McCandless wrote:With some logic games do you just have to brute force through the game rather than make substantial inferences? For example, in PT7 G3 I just worked through the questions with hypotheticals (which obviously went past time), and even 7sage just set up templates and answered questions from them.
Brute force should be your last line of defense, because it usually won't get you to the correct answer in an acceptable amount of time (as you experienced on this game). I very rarely recommend using brute force because there is almost always a quicker way to solve a problem. On the game you referenced there are actually some good deductions to get up front and you only need a local hypothetical for question 16.
7sage essentially forced the game, but by using templates made for a quick game. Is there a way to solve it without using templates/possibilities? I didn't identify any inferences that I didn't deduce from hypotheticals.

h3jk5h

New

Post by h3jk5h » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:really dumb question but for strengthen questions: when i find a flaw, i want an AC that addresses this and fixes it or something that just points it out? drawing a blank right now
Here is an analogy that you may find useful:

When a girl walks into a room and you happen to be in that room, if you are a really picky guy looking for some love, finding a flaw means trying to find a deficiency in her (looks, attitude, etc.), and strengthening means thinking various ways in which the girl can address the deficiency (better make-up, smiling, etc.).

Likewise, on an LSAT question, finding a flaw means trying to identify a deficiency in the argument, and strengthening means fixing that deficiency.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Great to see the techniques are working for you MC!

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 pm

h3jk5h wrote:
cavalier2015 wrote:really dumb question but for strengthen questions: when i find a flaw, i want an AC that addresses this and fixes it or something that just points it out? drawing a blank right now

When a girl walks into a room and you happen to be in that room, if you are a really picky guy looking for some love, finding a flaw means trying to find a deficiency in her (looks, attitude, etc.), and strengthening means thinking various ways in which the girl can address the deficiency (better make-up, smiling, etc.).

Likewise, on an LSAT question, finding a flaw means trying to identify a deficiency in the argument, and strengthening means fixing that deficiency.
When considering this analogy, always remember, it's most effective if you truly don the persona of a misogynist bastard.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
h3jk5h wrote:Here is an analogy that you may find useful:

When considering this analogy, always remember, it's most effective if you truly don the persona of a misogynist bastard.
Epic.

h3jk5h

New

Post by h3jk5h » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 am

Toby Ziegler wrote:
h3jk5h wrote:

I try to be as non-judgmental as possible in real life, and that attitude must have cost me countless questions on prep tests.

And when I apply 'critical thinking' in everyday conversations (i.e. LSAT attitude), my social life has been greatly deteriorated. You gotta make sacrifices when prepping for the LSAT, my friends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:11 am

Toby Ziegler wrote:
h3jk5h wrote:

LOL

cavalier2015

Bronze

Post by cavalier2015 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:01 am

going to finish up strengthening packet (60 more questions) and look for patterns.

then going to attack weaken questions (will do first 100), finish in/out grouping packet, and do 5 passages from the law packet.

going to be a fun tuesday for me..

taking PT 52 next monday want to drill questions i'm weak at.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 am

For the past two weeks, I've been consistently scoring no more than -2 (and only once!) on timed LG sections. I actually went -1 on my last full PT.

So, I may, in fact, be joining all of you in September. Not like I haven't been lurking around this thread daily, anyway!

rwe13

New

Post by rwe13 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:27 am

Blockofcheese wrote:
rwe13 wrote:Straight up dreaming about logic games almost every night. My mind will make up some convoluted game that I'll be like half asleep trying to figure out before I'll finally wake up and realize that the game isn't real and doesn't make sense because it was authored by my subconscious hah.

I made an account just to reply to this. I'm so glad I'm not the only one doing this. My dreams tend to be based on LR instead of LG, but I've had 3 of them in the last few weeks lol
haha just had my first LR one last night !

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:28 am

Whats the deadline to register? 22nd?

longhorn65

Bronze

Post by longhorn65 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with TLS website? I can access it through my phone but my computer wont load anything. Its only this website.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:23 pm

bound wrote:Whats the deadline to register? 22nd?
I believe 8/29 for the normal rate. Then late registration until 9/6. But it's been a couple days since I looked.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 pm

luke65 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with TLS website? I can access it through my phone but my computer wont load anything. Its only this website.
It's been hit or miss loading the last couple days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:48 pm

Timing is my enemy.

PR 52
Timed: 162
LR: -12
LG: -4 (missed most of a game)
RC: -5

Untimed + blind review: 177
LR: -3
LG: -0
RC: -1

Should I keep doing timed PTs or should I drill to get quicker first? I feel like I'm whipping through questions and not giving them enough thought when I do timed. This is my second timed PT.

Edit: I did this PT after a 9 hour work day and 2 hours of studying so that may have contributed to my slowness.
Last edited by valen on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:50 pm

bound wrote:Whats the deadline to register? 22nd?
8/26 for normal registration I believe

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Lost my motivation and took a week off. Now I'm moving this week but still hoping to get back on the wagon. I've noticed there is a direct correlation between checkin gm this forum and my motivation. So I've resolved to check the forum everyday haha.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Just did preptest B from the superprep. The RC kicked me right in the face. LR was decent -- a few areas I need to finish drilling, and all of the missed questions were from types I haven't drilled yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”