The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:29 pm

joeisreallycool wrote:How/when are you guys reviewing your PTs?

I basically just started and took all three superpreps, and at the end I am mentally drained and sick of the LSAT for the day. Do you guys immediately go back and review, or do you wait a day?

Regardless of when, how? Blind review?
Immediately after, and blind review.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:30 pm

I basically just started and took all three superpreps, and at the end I am mentally drained and sick of the LSAT for the day. Do you guys immediately go back and review, or do you wait a day?

I usually review the next day, unless I missed a question I was sure I got right. I don't BR, but it's recommended. I'm just really bad at it.

I review and go over the ACs, think about how I got tricked into picking the wrong answer, why that answer is wrong, and how LSAC covered up the right answer choice.

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:34 pm

So....is anyone else contemplating suicide yet? :evil:

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:41 pm

What is "blind review"?

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 pm

kevgogators wrote:What is "blind review"?
http://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-t ... at-part-1/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joeisreallycool

New

Post by joeisreallycool » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Immediately after, and blind review.

How? I don't think I have the endurance for such a terrible thing.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:08 pm

how many total released PTs there are? i am running out of material and all rc passages seem familiar.

Jon McCarty

New

Post by Jon McCarty » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 pm

jmjm wrote:how many total released PTs there are? i am running out of material and all rc passages seem familiar.
There are a total of 77 tests out there. The Feb 1997 is no longer available to license from the LSAC and is usually way too expensive for a single test.

Here's the Feb 1997 (it's like $60 and I wouldn't recommend paying that much unless you feel must)
http://www.amazon.com/Official-LSAT-Pre ... 0942639685

The others are the June 2007, A, B, C and 1-72 which can be downloaded here: http://everylsat.com/official-lsat-prep ... 19d0d2a4d2

You can also buy most of them in the "10 Actual Official LSAT PrepTests" series for really cheap. Here's the most recent one: http://www.amazon.com/Actual-Official-L ... DF187HNFYY

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:42 pm

mornincounselor wrote:Anyone remember the final game in the Grouping Defined Moving Packet? One of the rules leads to a contradiction.

A-->B
...-->C

B-->Z
C-->D-->E
………..-->~C

-----------------

Therefore, ~A always and forever.
Yep I remember that. I actually like that game a lot.

How did you find the basic linear unbalanced package? I actually think some of those games are so difficult, and I hate admitting that ha. I'm happy with where I'm at for most grouping games though.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Took PT 45 in the afternoon today.

LR: -3
RC: -4
LG: -0
LR: -2

Giving me a solid 173. Anyone else take this test recently? I thought the curve was really generous - games were on the easier side, and the LR and RC seemed relatively normal. Thoughts?

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Took PT 59 and 60 this weekend. Both had RC at the end, and I felt myself losing concentration during each section. Did the worst I've never done on RC on both tests. Good news - my LR has really improved since using MLSAT and I got 174 and 175. Any hints to increase stamina?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:44 pm

CFC1524 wrote:Took PT 45 in the afternoon today.

Giving me a solid 173. Anyone else take this test recently? I thought the curve was really generous - games were on the easier side, and the LR and RC seemed relatively normal. Thoughts?
I can't speak to the whole test, but I did the games yesterday morning and finished in about 26 min with -0. So I thought they were easier than the average section.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

HRomanus wrote:Took PT 59 and 60 this weekend. Both had RC at the end, and I felt myself losing concentration during each section. Did the worst I've never done on RC on both tests. Good news - my LR has really improved since using MLSAT and I got 174 and 175. Any hints to increase stamina?
Have you tried just doing a bunch of RC sections in a row? Like 2-3 sections, working up to 5 or more? I have a friend who swore by 10 sections of RC in a row but then again he might just be crazy.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:56 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
flash21 wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:Anyone remember the final game in the Grouping Defined Moving Packet? One of the rules leads to a contradiction.

A-->B
...-->C

B-->Z
C-->D-->E
………..-->~C

-----------------

Therefore, ~A always and forever.
Yep I remember that. I actually like that game a lot.

How did you find the basic linear unbalanced package? I actually think some of those games are so difficult, and I hate admitting that ha. I'm happy with where I'm at for most grouping games though.

I've gone through all the linear (except the linear/grouping hybrid) packet 3 times each including at least once while keeping track of time so I'm pretty confident I can handle most purely linear games. However, there is certainly some difficult things in those unbalanced games. Knowing when to use sub game boards or when just to jump into questions can be a tricky and critically important thing for knocking the questions out quickly.

I'm much less confident on grouping games, but this is my first time through these packets. I tried doing the hybrid games before other grouping games like moving and undefined but they were all pretty difficult so I'm saving them for last. I'm pretty confident for most in/out games but when there's 3-4 groups it's a bit harder. I have to learn to utilize charts for the questions where pieces can be use multiple times and remember to always break the groups down based on their additional elements.
dont forget to take stock of items when you find yourself sitting there with no idea where to go next with the diagrams. It has helped me countless times.

Oh and BTW, it looks like you're going to jail Louis

Irish11

New

Post by Irish11 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:06 pm

rebexness wrote:
HRomanus wrote:Took PT 59 and 60 this weekend. Both had RC at the end, and I felt myself losing concentration during each section. Did the worst I've never done on RC on both tests. Good news - my LR has really improved since using MLSAT and I got 174 and 175. Any hints to increase stamina?
Have you tried just doing a bunch of RC sections in a row? Like 2-3 sections, working up to 5 or more? I have a friend who swore by 10 sections of RC in a row but then again he might just be crazy.
I had the exact problem with those two tests last week. First I decided to step back and do some serious blind review of a bunch of reading sections, just to make sure I have the fundamentals down. I think my next step will be the craziness mentioned above of five or more straight RCs. I'm moving to a new place in a couple weeks and will have access to convenient and free printing (which I don't have now), so I expect I'll be doing that. Let me know if you think of other ways, and congrats on the good LR! :-)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JackelJ

Silver

Post by JackelJ » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Last edited by JackelJ on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 pm

JackelJ wrote:Hello, I have been reading some threads here for a few months now and I just decided to join in on the conversations. I have been using the forum as a way to help motivate my studying for the Sept LSAT and to read up on tips from the top scorers. My first diagnostic was 152, which I thought was decent until I saw some of the diagnostic scores of other people on here. I started light studying 2 months ago, but was mainly just going over the concepts of formal logic. I started more intense studying of about 3hrs a day during the week and about 5 hours on weekends. I'm working on learning the concepts first (which is going really well) and worrying about speed later. My second practice test 3 weeks ago only went up to a 154 (but that was with little studying) and yesterday I took my third test and got a 156. I still have not gotten through all of the material that I have to learn, so from that alone I would expect my score to increase.

My question is am I silly to think that I can get my score up to the 170+ range before the Sept test? I work about 50 hours a week so I am not able to devote more than about 4-5 hours a day to studying. I would consider myself a pretty smart person (currently double majoring in chemical engineering and finance and while maintaining a gpa good enough for HYS). I believe my main problem is my speed. On my last test a missed an entire reading comp passage. Thanks to anyone willing to take the time to reply.
What materials have you been using to learn concepts? Have you tried taking untimed tests or only timed?

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:32 pm

PT69 today

LR1 -4
LG - 0
RC -9 :oops:
LR2 - 0

Fuck you RC.

JackelJ

Silver

Post by JackelJ » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Last edited by JackelJ on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm doing games over and over but damn man this is annoying, I feel like I'm not improving on them at all. I get the idea of doing them over and over but at the same time sometimes I think there's gotta be something else that helps in addition to that. Going to make sure I can do every game in cambridge perfectly, thats the goal at least.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:17 pm

bound wrote:PT69 today

LR1 -4
LG - 0
RC -9 :oops:
LR2 - 0

Fuck you RC.
rc has become very hard recently. aren't you retaking a very high score; how was your rc on that test? where are your rc mistakes coming from?
tbh, 69 LR is tough so -4 on it is good.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 pm

CFC1524 wrote:Took PT 45 in the afternoon today.

I thought PTs in the 40s were noticeably less difficult than the most recent ones but that 173 is still a great job, of course. Good job!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:48 pm

It's worth noting that even though PTs in the 40s are generally considered to be "easier", the curve got really tight then as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”