The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berkeleynick

New

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by berkeleynick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Louis1127 wrote:Has anyone found 7sage scaled score to be off?

Mine for PT 43 said 165 but the actual sheet from LSAC clearly said 164.

Not a big deal obviously. Just wondering what's up
I've found that once but it was just me selecting 'C' instead of 'B' on the app. But I am guessing there was not an error in your grading on your part?

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:49 pm

ILikeKneadedErasers wrote:Hi everyone.
I'm pretty new to the forum and am more than a little intimidated by how much you all have already prepared so far. I've been studying for about a month and a half so far and took my first full LSAT today. It was amazing how quickly it wore me out. I did the first 2 sections with relative ease, got a bit tired in the third section, and was completely exhausted halfway through the fourth and beyond.

Please tell me you get used to the length of the LSAT eventually. My neck started cramping up by the 4th section and my timing (already an issue for me) got progressively worse until it was almost laughable how slow I was getting. I wasn't even really aiming for actual LSAT test day settings either. I did pretty well untimed but while my timed score was okay-ish, it was a lot worse than my untimed and lower than my goals.

Are these things that are likely to improve with a few more full LSATs under my belt? Is it possible to build up LSAT stamina by the September test date? I'm willing to defer it if necessary.
lol yes, I think that's normal. Once you're PTing 2-3 times/week it'll get much better. You'd even notice a difference if you took another PT tomorrow or the next day.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Well MorninCounselor, the passage I spent the most time on I did the best on (missed only 1). But on the other 3...

But the first passage (which I usually own) I missed 2 (out of just 5), the third one I missed 3, and the fourth one, I had to skim and thus did badly on by missing 4.

I'm just going to have to review and drill RC. I don't know what else to do :?

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 pm

berkeleynick wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:Has anyone found 7sage scaled score to be off?

Mine for PT 43 said 165 but the actual sheet from LSAC clearly said 164.

Not a big deal obviously. Just wondering what's up
I've found that once but it was just me selecting 'C' instead of 'B' on the app. But I am guessing there was not an error in your grading on your part?
Ah, BerkelyNIck, I'm not sure why you made me think of this, but you helped me find the issue.

I get the dummy award for the day. I calculated that I missed 19. Then I took 19 from 100 and got 81, and looked on the sheet for what score corresponded with 81. Only one problem: There was 101 questions :lol:

7sage grader is fine, and I am a dummy :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dardardelight

New

Post by dardardelight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Do you guys think it's a good idea to toggle between old vs. new PT's? Like.. take PT 12 and then 55 and then 13 and 56, etc?

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comstock

New

Post by Comstock » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Did PT 49 Today:

LG 19/22 (-3)
LR 20/26 (-6)
Exp. RC 22/27 (-5)
RC 23/27 (-4)
LR 20/25 (-5)

Score: 164

Still a bit of a disappointment, especially in LR, but feeling better about this score than my previous ones this week by a lot. I felt pretty burnt out during the test and have been feeling off and generally drained the entire week since that disastrous Monday, so I'm going to take the rest of today off and all of friday + saturday + sunday to just take a break from all things LSAT and let my mind recoup, recovery and grow stronger.

I didn't go over the test at all, but I decided upon getting home that I'll bite and pick up the Manhattan LR book in order to try some new approaches to LR and tighten it up. Even through I don't see myself doing bad at any particular question types in LR, the inconsistency is bothering me and showing in this week of PTs. I figure at the very least I'll learn some new approaches that may make me move faster on questions and avoid stupid mistakes on others, which seems to be a big issue of mine. If I could get LR to a consistent -3, I'd be a pretty happy camper, and I think thats a realistic goal.

longhorn65

Bronze

Post by longhorn65 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:27 pm

How in the hell do you all find time for sleep lol. I wake up study, go to work, go to my lsat course. work out, and then think how i should study more but then its already 11-1am.....I NEED more hours in the day

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TX_UH

Bronze

Post by TX_UH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 pm

dardardelight wrote:Do you guys think it's a good idea to toggle between old vs. new PT's? Like.. take PT 12 and then 55 and then 13 and 56, etc?
I like to pull sections from older exams to use as experimental sections when I take new PT's. I usually just grab 2 and then randomly insert them in the newer PT.

I add 2 experimental sections instead of only 1 so that I can build up my stamina past the point required for September. Hopefully when the time comes, it will make the exam a little less difficult.

Comstock

New

Post by Comstock » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:51 pm

TX_UH wrote:
dardardelight wrote:Do you guys think it's a good idea to toggle between old vs. new PT's? Like.. take PT 12 and then 55 and then 13 and 56, etc?
I like to pull sections from older exams to use as experimental sections when I take new PT's. I usually just grab 2 and then randomly insert them in the newer PT.

I add 2 experimental sections instead of only 1 so that I can build up my stamina past the point required for September. Hopefully when the time comes, it will make the exam a little less difficult.
Most of the Cambridge PTs that are 5 sections use an early test 1-10 or 10-20, as their experimental and its essentially impossible to tell the difference. I don't know if its beneficial to take it in that alternating order, but it definitely isn't bad.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm

luke65 wrote:How in the hell do you all find time for sleep lol. I wake up study, go to work, go to my lsat course. work out, and then think how i should study more but then its already 11-1am.....I NEED more hours in the day
I'm in the same boat, except grad school instead of the last course. I would love it if there were about 10 more hours in the day. I fell asleep during my PT yesterday.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:33 pm

valen wrote:
luke65 wrote:How in the hell do you all find time for sleep lol. I wake up study, go to work, go to my lsat course. work out, and then think how i should study more but then its already 11-1am.....I NEED more hours in the day
I'm in the same boat, except grad school instead of the last course. I would love it if there were about 10 more hours in the day. I fell asleep during my PT yesterday.
I'm trying to do 2 hours and 30 minutes a day and its horrible. I had to convince myself that buying PTs could count as prep time. The good thing is I now have more PT's than I can ever finish and four fresh ones.

The worst part is I'm sitting at work and wishing I could be doing LSAT prep.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:06 pm

bondja

New

Post by bondja » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
I'm trying to do 2 hours and 30 minutes a day and its horrible. I had to convince myself that buying PTs could count as prep time. The good thing is I now have more PT's than I can ever finish and four fresh ones.

The worst part is I'm sitting at work and wishing I could be doing LSAT prep.
Same. 30 minutes before work, 15 minutes at lunch (depending on work flow-usually work while eating), then get home and relax for 30 minutes then go from 6-930. I'll usually study while eating or take a short 15 minute break. Sometimes I also do a full on 30 minute episode of The Office to remind myself to laugh.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:39 am

Louis1127 wrote:PT 43

RC -10

LR1 -2

LR2 -4

LG -3

While this is a personal best in terms of a PT score, I am not a happy camper about RC. I didn't realize how low I was on time for the last passage, because the second passage was super dense and confusing. I definitely have some RC review and subsequent drilling on the horizon.

I think cutting out LR questions that gave you trouble and going over them twice a week or so seems to help. Props to MorninCounselor for that.

Time to review RC :twisted:

Louie, we're basically the exact same person =D.
You're LR/LG scores are solid, keep up the great work man!

Congrats on your new personal best (which beats mine by 1 point =P)

danmcc413

New

Post by danmcc413 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:11 am

Has anyone else experienced random drop offs in their scores? My first four PTs all incrementally increased - 162 Diag, 168 after a bit of studying, 170 after that and then 175 on Monday, but then I took another PT on Wednesday and got a 167. It kind of shook me because it's the worst score I've gotten since I started studying and it was immediately after receiving my best score yet. I went from:

PT38: LR: -3 LG: -4 RC: -0 LR: -0

PT39: LR: -6 LG: -3 RC: -5 LR: -4

Anyone else experience something similar? I almost feel like it could be a good thing so I don't get overconfident and complacent with my studying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:13 am

danmcc413 wrote:Has anyone else experienced random drop offs in their scores? My first four PTs all incrementally increased - 162 Diag, 168 after a bit of studying, 170 after that and then 175 on Monday, but then I took another PT on Wednesday and got a 167. It kind of shook me because it's the worst score I've gotten since I started studying and it was immediately after receiving my best score yet. I went from:

PT38: LR: -3 LG: -4 RC: -0 LR: -0

PT39: LR: -6 LG: -3 RC: -5 LR: -4

Anyone else experience something similar? I almost feel like it could be a good thing so I don't get overconfident and complacent with my studying.
Certain tests are different, is the only thing I could think of. PT 38 had two really really hard logic games (at least they were for me). So maybe certain tests just play to your strengths.

diiggidy

New

Post by diiggidy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Just took PT 53, and it went pretty bad for me.

LR (-5)
LG (-2)
LR (-3)
RC (-9)

I felt pretty good about the first 3 sections, but it turns out LR went bad. I've been getting 1-3 off per section, so this is quite high. By section 4, my brain really just shut off and I couldn't even think. I think i'm burnt out from studying this week, but this is still pretty disappointing after going 169, 170 on my last two PTs. Any suggestions on drilling RC, other than just continually going through sections?

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Okay, so, don't laugh at me, but I essentially just remembered that LSAT QA exists last night. So, if you're like me and saved a ton of resources when you began studying and then forgot about them later, sign up for an account at http://lsatqa.com.

I might be the only person studying for the LSAT for September who hasn't already been using that websites for months now. :shock: (Turns out I suck at every kind of LG question that ever existed in the entire world since the dawn of mankind.)

Posting this on the off chance that someone else out there might benefit...

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:52 pm

sfoglia wrote:Okay, so, don't laugh at me, but I essentially just remembered that LSAT QA exists last night. So, if you're like me and saved a ton of resources when you began studying and then forgot about them later, sign up for an account at http://lsatqa.com.

I might be the only person studying for the LSAT for September who hasn't already been using that websites for months now. :shock: (Turns out I suck at every kind of LG question that ever existed in the entire world since the dawn of mankind.)

Posting this on the off chance that someone else out there might benefit...
This was helpful for me, thank you for posting!

I'm aiming for September, maybe December if I don't feel ready. Here's my very first untimed PT score:
LR: -6
RC: -2
LG: -1
LR: -3
Converted score: 168

I think LR is definitely going to be where I struggle but I feel like this was pretty good for my first rodeo. I'm going to hit the Trainer hard on LR and try another test later this weekend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:57 pm

If anyone is interested LSATMax is giving out free 35min LSAT analog watches (just pay $5 shipping) for anyone who completes their online survey. I cannot vouch for the quality of the watch because mines is on its way but heck its basically free...just wanted to share this info with you guys.

FYI...the survey ends tonight :)

lsatkillah

New

Post by lsatkillah » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Last edited by lsatkillah on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

sashafierce wrote:If anyone is interested LSATMax is giving out free 35min LSAT analog watches (just pay $5 shipping) for anyone who completes their online survey. I cannot vouch for the quality of the watch because mines is on its way but heck its basically free...just wanted to share this info with you guys.

FYI...the survey ends tonight :)
Thanks for this! I'm going to do this tonight for sure. I'll look like an lsat nerd, but that's too good to pass up

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:12 pm

Post removed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”