The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hetookmetoamovie

Silver

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by hetookmetoamovie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:31 pm

sfoglia wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
sfoglia wrote: Ehhh, New Haven not the most fun. Obvs we're going to be spending 0 time studying because we're all law school naturals, so we're going to need lots of activities. And bars.

I vote Columbia or Harvard.
sfogs if you/we end up in NYC, I have a very nice Italian boy that you have to meet.
I am in NYC! I want you to come, too! Are you interested in Columbia or NYU?
I just moved to CA last year after many, many years in NYC. I MISS it so much. And yes, if I get a shout from Columbia or NYU, I would seriously consider moving back, polar vortex be damned.

hetookmetoamovie

Silver

Post by hetookmetoamovie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:38 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Oh okay cool. But for real you guys should apply to UT. Except if you get like a 175. There's only so many spots guys dont ruin it for everyone
Austin is a really cool city and fairly affordable - wish that were an option but I'm pretty constrained geographically. Only CA and possibly NY would make sense. Are you guys mostly "floaters" to use LG parlance?
from Dallas. Wish I had connections in CA but i dont.
Texas Forever! The main office at my old firm was located in the Big D (as they called it), and I swear, I would always hear like faint mariachi music in the background during our conference calls. They just do things differently there, I guess.
hereisonehand wrote: no I'm like you 'cept besides CA (bay/la) and NY, DC is also in the mix

Yeah, I'm currently in Norcal, but other than two amazing schools, it's like the land of the TTTs. I've been looking hard at UCLA/USC/UCI, but I'm not sure what's going to happen this cycle...

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:48 pm

schmelling wrote:Everyone in my library's quiet room is studying for the LSAT. THERE IS NO ESCAPE.
People that take the LSAT at my university, on average, study for ~30 hours.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:49 pm

smccgrey wrote:UPDATE #2
First things first, I'm the REALEST
180 so my GPA can beat it.
it can beat it
Wanna do that legal business
I won't take this down,
because admissions needs to see it.
right right

You should want a bad bitch like this.
Sketching out your law school crest JUST LIKE THIS
*holds up art*
Couple jobs, couple skills, couple creds,
Little time with Yale and I’ll be working with the feds
With the feds
Take all those tricky courses, gonna work it
work it
HPs like I’m aiming for that clerkship
What
Bring the loans in, where that bank at?
LRAP billin, I’mma take that

Yale’s so fancy.
We already know,
That it’s the fast lane
From 1L to USAO
But, I’m so fancy
So I wanna go.
Remember my name
don't say nooooooo

I said Yale Law, I’ll do this
I’ll put myself through this
I can stand the pressure, and honest the truth is
That I’ll work the hardest
I’ll push it the farthest
Readings, and case briefs, I ain’t leaving this department
I get my shit done on time, I’ll be making outlines,
and I meant that there so much, gotta give that line a rewind
I get my shit done on time, I’ll be making outlines,
and I will love it there so much that I’ll just stay on my grind

You say who dat, who dat,
That do that, do that, that puts Yale over all,
I thought you knew that, knew that.

It’s that Y-A-L-E on my JD in bold
If I’m clerking, I’ll be saving all my change, ya know.
This is phenomenal.

Could you send it in as an addendum or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:51 pm

alloverthat wrote:
smccgrey wrote:Pure genius
This is phenomenal.

Could you send it in as an addendum or something?
No addendum necessary. This is going to be Grey's PS.

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Post removed.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:57 pm

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Post removed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 pm

smccgrey wrote:
schmelling wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:
schmelling wrote:Everyone in my library's quiet room is studying for the LSAT. THERE IS NO ESCAPE.
People that take the LSAT at my university, on average, study for ~30 hours.
Per week or....

Also, I'm not at university anymore, just my public library which is what makes it so strange.
I was about to post that word for word.
No total. It's like 95% 149-155 scorers with a few 166+ folks.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:20 pm

smccgrey wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:K well all you guys can go to Yale and shit and me and my GPA will go sit in the corner and watch paint dry
no no no I'm getting into Yale with a 3.15.

This is an aspirational conversation.
Or aspie conversation

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:23 pm

bh do ppl (ppl being defined as those of us who say, do not make more that a quarter mill) actually truly like nyc outside of just the mystique of saying that u live in nyc

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:24 pm

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:29 pm

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:bh do ppl (ppl being defined as those of us who say, do not make more that a quarter mill) actually truly like nyc outside of just the mystique of saying that u live in nyc
I feel like not being rich in NYC is hard shit. So this is a good question.
yeah i lived there on a grad stipend n yeah pretty much sucked plus all this hooplah about the subway system well guess what its slow as shit

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:31 pm

smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:bh do ppl (ppl being defined as those of us who say, do not make more that a quarter mill) actually truly like nyc outside of just the mystique of saying that u live in nyc
well I love some aspects of it - functioning public transport (slow as shit? try taking the bus in LA), an actual public life/atmosphere b/c people don't drive everywhere, highly varied neighborhoods, people from all over the world, wherever you are there are bars and restaurants worth going to in walking distance. no like for the COL obv. or the cold and rain

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Post removed.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
well I love some aspects of it - functioning public transport (slow as shit? try taking the bus in LA), an actual public life/atmosphere b/c people don't drive everywhere, highly varied neighborhoods, people from all over the world, wherever you are there are bars and restaurants worth going to in walking distance. no like for the COL obv. or the cold and rain
idk i mean i might b singling NYC out (never lived in LA---visited, did not take bus, bc bus) but i just didnt see the "cultural benefits" what u call "public life/atmosphere b/c ppl dont drive everywhere" as outweighing the financial/convenience that pretty much sucks in the city. plus idk what highly varied neighborhoods really means, there r alot of diff neighborhoods, i lived in little italy in the bronx which it was kinda cool but like nyc is def divided up along socioeconomic considerations like everywhere else in the world, just that in nyc the uber rich are a little closer to the uber poor. plus idk i mean i just dont see the restaurant/bar thing as really being that cool/coming close to outweighing how much it freaking costs

TL;DR i like to buy things in bulk n thats pretty much impossible in nyc

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:37 pm

schmelling wrote:who can live like kings in desirable neighborhoods (w. village, etc.) on their salaies less than 3 years out of law school.
idk i mean if it takes 3 years on biglaw salary in NYC to make it to simply a desirable neighborhood that kinda seems whack 2 me

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 pm

schmelling wrote:Suburbs of NYC kid here. I like it. everything is accessible from everywhere. It is expensive, but I know people in biglaw who can live like kings in desirable neighborhoods (w. village, etc.) on their salaies less than 3 years out of law school. Its the best market to go to law school in if you're looking for biglaw. NYU and Columbia place as well as anybody and even Fordham achieves better placement in Biglaw than some schools ranked significantly higher.
westchester?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:49 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
idk i mean i might b singling NYC out (never lived in LA---visited, did not take bus, bc bus) but i just didnt see the "cultural benefits" what u call "public life/atmosphere b/c ppl dont drive everywhere" as outweighing the financial/convenience that pretty much sucks in the city. plus idk what highly varied neighborhoods really means, there r alot of diff neighborhoods, i lived in little italy in the bronx which it was kinda cool but like nyc is def divided up along socioeconomic considerations like everywhere else in the world, just that in nyc the uber rich are a little closer to the uber poor. plus idk i mean i just dont see the restaurant/bar thing as really being that cool/coming close to outweighing how much it freaking costs

TL;DR i like to buy things in bulk n thats pretty much impossible in nyc
Not saying the benefits outweigh the costs of living there (all in all, I doubt they do for me, at least in the abstract, but there's personal reasons-family, friends-that change the equation), was just listing some benefits.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:54 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Not saying the benefits outweigh the costs of living there (all in all, I doubt they do for me, at least in the abstract, but there's personal reasons-family, friends-that change the equation), was just listing some benefits.
oh for sure if your fam lives there then its a totally diff story u dont have 2 justify living there bc thats your home but speaking in terms of moving there as an outsider i just dont see much benefit when your purchasing power is so incredibly reduced compared to larger cities in between the coasts where you can get a huge house, yard, land, etc., for the price of like 1000 sq ft pt in certain neighborhoods. my rent was more than the mortgage on my sister n bro in laws house n there house sits on an acre of land and is like 3500 sq ft n my apt was obvs really crappy

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Yes/no. It's annoying that prices here are so high, but salaries are supposed to be inflated to cover the ever-increasing cost-of-living, anyway. Even if not, it's very easy to live on moderate means if you're willing to move to the boroughs; public transportation is the major means of travel here, so you can be in Manhattan from Queens in as little as ten, fifteen minutes. But there are so many things to see, a ton of things to do: museums, concerts, world-renowned restaurants, parades practically every month, there's fashion week, there's art shows, every kind of bar you can imagine, every kind of person you can imagine. There is a lot about this city that is great, which is exactly why some people are willing to live in absolute destitution to stay.

I expect to work here for pretty much ever, but I will be moving to the suburbs, near where I grew up, as soon as possible. I'd like to have a a real home, with an outdoor cat and a garden. And I miss driving.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”