The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sfoglia

Gold

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:01 pm

BillPackets wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
smccgrey wrote:
BillPackets wrote:bh do ppl (ppl being defined as those of us who say, do not make more that a quarter mill) actually truly like nyc outside of just the mystique of saying that u live in nyc
I feel like not being rich in NYC is hard shit. So this is a good question.
well I love some aspects of it - functioning public transport (slow as shit? try taking the bus in LA), an actual public life/atmosphere b/c people don't drive everywhere, highly varied neighborhoods, people from all over the world, wherever you are there are bars and restaurants worth going to in walking distance. no like for the COL obv. or the cold and rain
idk i mean i might b singling NYC out (never lived in LA---visited, did not take bus, bc bus) but i just didnt see the "cultural benefits" what u call "public life/atmosphere b/c ppl dont drive everywhere" as outweighing the financial/convenience that pretty much sucks in the city. plus idk what highly varied neighborhoods really means, there r alot of diff neighborhoods, i lived in little italy in the bronx which it was kinda cool but like nyc is def divided up along socioeconomic considerations like everywhere else in the world, just that in nyc the uber rich are a little closer to the uber poor. plus idk i mean i just dont see the restaurant/bar thing as really being that cool/coming close to outweighing how much it freaking costs

TL;DR i like to buy things in bulk n thats pretty much impossible in nyc
It is now. Freshdirect!

But, yes, I miss my car so, so much.

Did you ever do Brooklyn? I love Bensonhurst, which is predominantly Chinese, and I also like Bay Ridge, which is a bit more "suburban." Actually, there's a place that has houses and lawns and cars and everything in Brooklyn, Ditmas Park, that literally feels like you stepped from the city straight into Connecticut. It is so lovely there!

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:03 pm

sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:bh do ppl (ppl being defined as those of us who say, do not make more that a quarter mill) actually truly like nyc outside of just the mystique of saying that u live in nyc
Yes/no. It's annoying that prices here are so high, but salaries are supposed to be inflated to cover the ever-increasing cost-of-living, anyway. Even if not, it's very easy to live on moderate means if you're willing to move to the boroughs; public transportation is the major means of travel here, so you can be in Manhattan from Queens in as little as ten, fifteen minutes. But there are so many things to see, a ton of things to do: museums, concerts, world-renowned restaurants, parades practically every month, there's fashion week, there's art shows, every kind of bar you can imagine, every kind of person you can imagine. There is a lot about this city that is great, which is exactly why some people are willing to live in absolute destitution to stay.

I expect to work here for pretty much ever, but I will be moving to the suburbs, near where I grew up, as soon as possible. I'd like to have a a real home, with an outdoor cat and a garden. And I miss driving.
see again idk i mean cost is a huge factor in all of that (e.g. concerts, restaurants, etc.). im coming from a totally diff place though so im wildly biased i was raised in an extremely rural part of the country and im not saying that i dont like cities bc i do just not the size of nyc i prefer mid size cities that arent unbelievably overwhelming i guess my main beef w nyc is kind of the center of the world attitude/ppl really think its THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH n yeah its cool but idk there are so many drawbacks. plus i think its really hard to maintain a pleasant disposition there when you are constantly surrounded by who knows who u kind of have to have a guard up 24/7 n put up this front all the time and i just found that very tiring

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Austin would be a great place to study. Good food, good weather etc.

I wonder if there's any correlation between being top university and being in a crappy city.

Less (affordable) entertainment = less distraction?

I know Oxford and Cambridge in the UK are both boring as hell

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Hey grey I did supertest b n hated it. Got a lucky 170 by lucky I mean I hated the test and almost stopped after the second section. So go humblebrag yourself to high heaven

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:06 pm

sfoglia wrote:It is now. Freshdirect!

But, yes, I miss my car so, so much.

Did you ever do Brooklyn? I love Bensonhurst, which is predominantly Chinese, and I also like Bay Ridge, which is a bit more "suburban." Actually, there's a place that has houses and lawns and cars and everything in Brooklyn, Ditmas Park, that literally feels like you stepped from the city straight into Connecticut. It is so lovely there!
never went to Ditmas Park, went to alot of brooklyn though but idk brooklyn is kind of overrun with like the most hipster of hipsters i kno its kind of passe to even say hipsters but its pretty much like the comedy (tim heidecker) where basically every1 acts like they dont give a shit bout anything and i just find that really annoyinh

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Last edited by Gray on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:11 pm

BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
Yes/no. It's annoying that prices here are so high, but salaries are supposed to be inflated to cover the ever-increasing cost-of-living, anyway. Even if not, it's very easy to live on moderate means if you're willing to move to the boroughs; public transportation is the major means of travel here, so you can be in Manhattan from Queens in as little as ten, fifteen minutes. But there are so many things to see, a ton of things to do: museums, concerts, world-renowned restaurants, parades practically every month, there's fashion week, there's art shows, every kind of bar you can imagine, every kind of person you can imagine. There is a lot about this city that is great, which is exactly why some people are willing to live in absolute destitution to stay.

I expect to work here for pretty much ever, but I will be moving to the suburbs, near where I grew up, as soon as possible. I'd like to have a a real home, with an outdoor cat and a garden. And I miss driving.
see again idk i mean cost is a huge factor in all of that (e.g. concerts, restaurants, etc.). im coming from a totally diff place though so im wildly biased i was raised in an extremely rural part of the country and im not saying that i dont like cities bc i do just not the size of nyc i prefer mid size cities that arent unbelievably overwhelming i guess my main beef w nyc is kind of the center of the world attitude/ppl really think its THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH n yeah its cool but idk there are so many drawbacks. plus i think its really hard to maintain a pleasant disposition there when you are constantly surrounded by who knows who u kind of have to have a guard up 24/7 n put up this front all the time and i just found that very tiring
Well, I can't disagree with that. I'm definitely the most vocal about not loving NYC out of everyone I know here, and it's not like I hate it. But I am a huge priss who needs to have a very large apartment and closet space and central air conditioning and not to see cockroaches ever, ever, EVER. I want to stay close to the city, though, because I love the effortless access to culture here, and because I find the frenetic energy of the city inspiring.

I think that if you are in your early twenties, this is a great place to be. It's not really a place to raise a family, however.

Where do you live?

ETA: I HATE hipsters. They only congregate in one area of Brooklyn, though. My area is mostly families, actually. Lots of children.

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:14 pm

smccgrey wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Hey grey I did supertest b n hated it. Got a lucky 170 by lucky I mean I hated the test and almost stopped after the second section. So go humblebrag yourself to high heaven
whatever that 170 is pretty fucking good.
But, sure I'm a douche. FAIR.

LRAP BILLIN, YOU SHOULD TAKE THAT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Berk gon berk

Edit: basically my contention is that I -4 on games and I never do that on a section, just an off day in the analytical reasoning field

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm

schmelling wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
schmelling wrote:who can live like kings in desirable neighborhoods (w. village, etc.) on their salaies less than 3 years out of law school.
idk i mean if it takes 3 years on biglaw salary in NYC to make it to simply a desirable neighborhood that kinda seems whack 2 me

Less than 3, I didn't feel like doing the math of figuring out when my friend moved to the village, but he was around lincoln center before that, so its not like he was living in squalor.
A friend of a friend was offered a 120k position straight out of law school. Biglaw is lucrative, but, can't really have a life while you're doing that.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:24 pm

sfoglia wrote:
schmelling wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
schmelling wrote:who can live like kings in desirable neighborhoods (w. village, etc.) on their salaies less than 3 years out of law school.
idk i mean if it takes 3 years on biglaw salary in NYC to make it to simply a desirable neighborhood that kinda seems whack 2 me

Less than 3, I didn't feel like doing the math of figuring out when my friend moved to the village, but he was around lincoln center before that, so its not like he was living in squalor.
A friend of a friend was offered a 120k position straight out of law school. Biglaw is lucrative, but, can't really have a life while you're doing that.
120k NYC is like 8.50/hr Topeka

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:27 pm

sfoglia wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
sfoglia wrote:

Well, I can't disagree with that. I'm definitely the most vocal about not loving NYC out of everyone I know here, and it's not like I hate it. But I am a huge priss who needs to have a very large apartment and closet space and central air conditioning and not to see cockroaches ever, ever, EVER. I want to stay close to the city, though, because I love the effortless access to culture here, and because I find the frenetic energy of the city inspiring.

I think that if you are in your early twenties, this is a great place to be. It's not really a place to raise a family, however.

Where do you live?

ETA: I HATE hipsters. They only congregate in one area of Brooklyn, though. My area is mostly families, actually. Lots of children.
i currently live in the west, from the midwest, went to school in western NC, went to grad school in NYC.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:120k NYC is like 8.50/hr Topeka
im all bout dat BigTopeka

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm

BillPackets wrote:

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Don't want big law, but that 6 figure salary first year of employment sounds prty kewl.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:53 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Don't want big law, but that 6 figure salary first year of employment sounds prty kewl.
I didn't know there were ppl goin 2 lawlz not gunnin 4 BIGLAWLZ

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:54 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Don't want big law, but that 6 figure salary first year of employment sounds prty kewl.
Agreed. For me, that fact that I have a family makes biglaw even more unattractive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
seriously though. Everyone here at TLS guns for the prefffftigee of BL. Not once have I ever even considered it. I mean, sure... I want a high salary. But I never hear any good reports from it. People just regret their decisions. I feel like there are smarter, and still easily economic efficient ways, to practice law AND have somewhat of a life

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:57 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
seriously though. Everyone here at TLS guns for the prefffftigee of BL. Not once have I ever even considered it. I mean, sure... I want a high salary. But I never hear any good reports from it. People just regret their decisions. I feel like there are smarter, and still easily economic efficient ways, to practice law AND have somewhat of a life
im pretty much an employment gunner would prefer biglaw cuz more $$$$ but obvs i just want a job

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
BillPackets wrote:

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Yea I don't even want Mississippi's version of biglaw (which pays salaries equivalent to $160k in NYC/DC, etc.).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:59 pm

BillPackets wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
im pretty much an employment gunner would prefer biglaw cuz more $$$$ but obvs i just want a job
Definitely more money, but there are PLENTY of firms with similar salaries that aren't BL. When I first started out, I just wanted BL cuz everyone else did and I wanted to be cool. Now, after doing a ton of research, I've realized that tons of firms offer the same salaries, same year after year salary increases, however simply dont have the prestige of the T100

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm

BillPackets wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
This basically.

I mean I've worked 60 hours a week before for a pittance of biglaw so it'd be cool to be compensated better for those hours

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:02 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Definitely more money, but there are PLENTY of firms with similar salaries that aren't BL. When I first started out, I just wanted BL cuz everyone else did and I wanted to be cool. Now, after doing a ton of research, I've realized that tons of firms offer the same salaries, same year after year salary increases, however simply dont have the prestige of the T100
idk if i do go to lawlz imma b a midwest secondary market gunner so no t100 there

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”