The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ghostofdreams

New

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by ghostofdreams » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 am

sfoglia wrote:
ghostofdreams wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Does anyone use melatonin does it just help u sleep deeper is it a legit sleeping pill or just promote deep sleep? I googled it but wasn't finding the answers I was looking for there was just a lot of circadian rhythm chatter and no consensus on long term supplementation
When I take melatonin, I only take half a pill. The trouble with me is that if I take the whole thing I have a hard time waking up. But then, if you take half, it can take a while for you to sleep. Also, you might not want to take it too many times because I heard it affects your hormones, thus shrinking your balls and growing breasts.
Doubtful on that one.

I think I've read that splitting the pill effs with it's time-release ability. Like, it's coated in a certain way so as to metabolize at a specific rate, so cutting it in half shortens its effect.
halving its effect works for me. However, if you do take the whole pill, and you find yourself groggy in the morning, my old boss said to just work it off and you'll be fine. That was for a job that required a lot of physical activity, though, so I don't know.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 am

Melatonin dreams are a thing and they are scary as F.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:17 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:On topic: I'm having a very hard time during my CR review understanding the theoretical reason for omission of the practical contemporary significance of common law's historical forms. PT 53 section 4 passage 2
"Yet the academic study of jurisprudence has seldom treated common law as a constantly evolving phenomenon rooted in history; those interpretive theories that do acknowledge the antiquity of common law ignore the practical contemporary significance of its historical forms. The reasons for this omission are partly theoretical and partly political. In theoretical terms, modern jurisprudence has consistently treated law as a unified system of rules that can be studied at any given moment in time as a logical whole. The notion of jurisprudence as a system of norms or principles deemphasizes history in favor of the coherence of a system. In this view, the past of the system is conceived as no more than the continuous succession of its states of presence."
My thought process:

Modern theoretical study of law treats law as self-consistent as time progresses. Laws in the past do not contradict laws in the present, because it can be studied as a logical whole.

I don't see how this logically leads to an omission of how past laws are relevant in contemporary culture.

I also don't see how "continuous succession of its states of presence" means that jurisprudence ignore the contemporary significance of "historical forms". I'm assuming historical forms means past laws?

I'm so lost.
I think it's that, in order to acknowledge the contemporary significance of a law's historical form, that law would have to be interpreted to mean something specific to our present day. If you don't see law as being segregated within time (as meaning different things at different times due to changing conditions) and if law is continuous and consistent, then there is no "contemporary significance," but instead an ever-present, singular significance. I think that's why the whole mention of fairness, of law as being unitary and logical, that is included in the sentences following. Having a contemporary significance by essence negates the ability of the law to be a system of "objective application" of "immutable rules," to be of "timeless reason."

I really hope I didn't just give you an idiot answer. But, I think this is all semantics for "as it has been so shall it always be." Hence the later idea of the narrative. If common law is like a literary text, then it is unified and whole, but within it there is a chronological progression of plot. The narrative may have twists and turns, but the essence of the story, the novel, is whole. In this case, the novel would be a collection of the history and tradition of common law, a narrative of progressive meaning and significance of the application of that law.

I think.
Last edited by sfoglia on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:19 am

ghostofdreams wrote:
halving its effect works for me. However, if you do take the whole pill, and you find yourself groggy in the morning, my old boss said to just work it off and you'll be fine. That was for a job that required a lot of physical activity, though, so I don't know.
I'm definitely going to try to cut mine in half too, then. I'd prefer to take the least amount necessary.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:22 am

Melatonin and tits

Nice

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:24 am

unodostres wrote:Melatonin and tits

Nice
rebexness wrote:Melatonin dreams are a thing and they are scary as F.
sfoglia wrote:
ghostofdreams wrote:
I'm definitely going to try to cut mine in half too, then. I'd prefer to take the least amount necessary.
half the melatonin --> half scary on the dreams, maybe

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:34 am

ghostofdreams wrote:
I've been having this same dream since I moved here over a year and a half ago, in which I'm going to work but I've forgotten to put on my shoes. I look down and I'm standing on the disgusting subway platform in bare feet, and I am SOOOO embarrassed and I have no idea how I am possibly going to hide this fact from anyone. And then the dream progresses through the subway system, where I have my shoes on at one moment, and I feel relieved and fine, and then they are gone the next, and I'm back to being wholly mortified.

Okay, your turn. Everyone, tell me your weirdest/scariest/funniest recent dream!

ghostofdreams

New

Post by ghostofdreams » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:53 am

sfoglia wrote:
ghostofdreams wrote:
I've been having this same dream since I moved here over a year and a half ago, in which I'm going to work but I've forgotten to put on my shoes. I look down and I'm standing on the disgusting subway platform in bare feet, and I am SOOOO embarrassed and I have no idea how I am possibly going to hide this fact from anyone. And then the dream progresses through the subway system, where I have my shoes on at one moment, and I feel relieved and fine, and then they are gone the next, and I'm back to being wholly mortified.

Okay, your turn. Everyone, tell me your weirdest/scariest/funniest recent dream!
ok, I had this dream a couple of months back, and what makes this dream unique is that it involved sex. Believe it or not, I do not have sex dreams. smh. And to top it off, it was of my best friend, who's a girl--I'm a guy. She was giving fellatio, but I could not see any nudity on her part. And she was performing it on someone else. Totally weird. Sadly, I do not have a lot of dreams, well, not as much as I used to . . .but I love dreams, thus the handle :)

Edit* I am going to be popping half a melatonin now. I've been trying to sleep early for the past week but I cannot, but it's got to change quick here.

2nd Edit* Also, I'm going to start wearing clothes when I do my PTs, just to simulate as much as possible the actual test day

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:42 am

I HATE RC. I HATE IT SO MUCH.

-4 like 3 times in a row. WHY WON'T IT GET BETTER.

Granted I probably spent the least time perfecting RC but STILL.

STILL.

I'm not even consistently getting -0 on my other sections.

How the hell am I getting a 180 at this rate. At least I have until Oct 5th since I'm international. If I can get down to -0 RC in the next 2 weeks then I'll have a minimal shot at 180.

PT 54 Section 1 RC #17. Celebrating your social status =/= bolstering your social status LSAT, that is such bullshit.

Celebrating =/= bolstering.

Fuck.

#18 too. How does "refining the cakewalk" in line 53-54 NOT mean choreographing a new version. Such bullshit.

RC is too unlike LR and I hatehatehatehatehatehate it.

Does anybody have any tips for doing better on RC despite the fact that some questions are stupid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:55 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

thequigley

Bronze

Post by thequigley » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:56 am

Peanuts...I hope you are much further along than PT 54. I didn't miss any on some of these old tests for reading comp and miss some on the newer tests. I thought the cake walk was one of the easiest reading sections I did.

As far as LG and LR, those are different, too. I hope you've done a more recent test. I wouldn't gauge the older ones as proof of 180 or 170.

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:57 am

I end up getting about an hour and a half of prep time in per week day. Any suggestions on maximizing this time?

I've been doing 10-15 LR questions from the Difficulty Packet, 1 LG from the Difficulty packet, and 1 RC from the difficulty packet. I'm solid on LG, but I need to do LGs to maintain consistency for PTs. I'm off-and-on with RC, as some passages I'll struggle and others I'm fine. I struggle the most with the LR Difficulty packet, missing 15-20% of questions per 10-15 drilling session.

I would prefer to up my drilling time during the week, but I typically work 10-12 hours per day. When I get home, I make dinner and decompress on TLS for about two hours, then I get to bed because I'm fighting a cold. Should I abandon drilling and hit the MLSAT LR book again?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:51 am

thequigley wrote:Peanuts...I hope you are much further along than PT 54. I didn't miss any on some of these old tests for reading comp and miss some on the newer tests. I thought the cake walk was one of the easiest reading sections I did.

As far as LG and LR, those are different, too. I hope you've done a more recent test. I wouldn't gauge the older ones as proof of 180 or 170.
I already got a 170 in Oct of 2012. The difference in difficulty between newer and older PTs is significantly overrated. Your singular anecdotal evidence is not sufficient to invalidate the fact that there is no consistent increase in the curve between PT54-72. I would go so far as to argue that Post 2007 tests are easier because comparative reading is much easier than the classic passage format.

I will give you that if I were more careless and paid less attention to detail, I would have gotten the cake walk questions right. I chose those answers first but eliminated them for the reasons given.

Edit -

I was curious if your condescension was at all justified or warranted, so I went through your post history.
29: 152
30: 154
31: 154
32: 155
33: 156
34: 153
35: 158
36: 157
37: 159
38: 157
52: 157
53: 160
54: 160
55: 160
56: 161
57: 159
58: 164
59: 165
60: 166
Really? Didn't miss any on some RC on the older ones? Really? Did you just go -10 or something on LR and LG? Get off your high horse.
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:54 am

sfoglia wrote:
Thnx every1 for the melatonin opinions, I fell asleep before I could read any of it.

I have been having a lot of really weird LSAT dreams lately like where the questions were about how my friends would react to my new shoes, partner lsats and in general getting stuck on one question Til time is up.

But since that's too on topic for this question I also have a lot of weird dreams where I just feel so heavy I can't move or stand up. Like I'll try to take a step and I can't even lift my leg or I'll go to stand and I just can't physically do it. I have no idea what the significance is.

gavaga1

New

Post by gavaga1 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 am

Last edited by gavaga1 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 am

sfoglia wrote:
hetookmetoamovie wrote: Thanks, Bill. That's always the first thing I look at.

Drillin the freakin' Weakens, baby I'm about to have me some fun.
OMG 180!
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Does anyone use melatonin does it just help u sleep deeper is it a legit sleeping pill or just promote deep sleep? I googled it but wasn't finding the answers I was looking for there was just a lot of circadian rhythm chatter and no consensus on long term supplementation
I use it sometimes. You shouldn't use it regularly - I think they say for no more than two weeks at a time. It does work. Your body produces melatonin naturally around bedtime. But, it's a hormone, so your environment can effect that production, which is why we're always told to stay off the computer/away from the television for an hour or so before bed - it's particularly responsive to light levels.

It just makes you feel really sleepy. You know that feeling you get right before you drift off? Or when you're so tired but in a totally inappropriate place and totally ready to close your eyes? It does exactly that.

The less you take, the more effective it is, or so my soon-to-be-med-student brother says. I use 3mg, but I'm very petite. You might require double that.

As a warning, not always fantastic to use, depending on how your body naturally regulates your sleep patterns. I have a very odd circadian rhythm - at night I'm generally only able to sleep for a four hour stretch before my body wakes me, sometimes without my being able to fall back asleep - and melatonin exacerbates that. So, I only take it when I know I'm unlikely to sleep at all without it. Nobody wants to be awake at 4am. So boring.
Waking up at 4am and not being able to go back to sleep sounds terrible.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:05 am

University of Colorado spelled their name wrong in the subject line of the email

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:23 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:University of Colorado spelled their name wrong in the subject line of the email
Omg just noticed that can you imagine being the person who sent it who was supposed to proofread that wtf

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Hey, December thread!

--ImageRemoved--

SEPTEMBER THREAD POWER.

*runs away*
QFNP

BJS

Bronze

Post by BJS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Edit -

I was curious if your condescension was at all justified or warranted, so I went through your post history.
Really? Didn't miss any on some RC on the older ones? Really? Did you just go -10 or something on LR and LG? Get off your high horse.
DAYUM.
Last edited by BJS on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 am

And y'all thot I was bad PNJ blowing it up

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:47 am

schmelling wrote:
sfoglia wrote:
All my dreams are highly realistic. I very rarely have a dream that is surreal in any profound way.

example:had a dream that me and my immediate family left to get a pizza, leaving my little cousin alone for 15 minutes. returning to find that he had adopted multiple german shepherd puppies in a 15 minute time frame. my dream-mom's reaction was a nightmare, but the way I saw it we had pizza and new puppies, so I was totally into it.

That's about as weird as my dreams get.
Hahahahaha. Pizza and puppies. That sounds dope.
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
I have been having a lot of really weird LSAT dreams lately like where the questions were about how my friends would react to my new shoes, partner lsats and in general getting stuck on one question Til time is up.

But since that's too on topic for this question I also have a lot of weird dreams where I just feel so heavy I can't move or stand up. Like I'll try to take a step and I can't even lift my leg or I'll go to stand and I just can't physically do it. I have no idea what the significance is.
That's fascinating. I totally believe that dreams have significance. I tried to Google, but all I found were pages on sleep paralysis. The $2 dream-teller in me would say that it probably means you feel stuck in whatever position you are in, like you cannot move forward in your life.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:53 am

BJS wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Edit -

DAYUM.
BillPackets wrote:And y'all thot I was bad PNJ blowing it up
I fully support this.

When I was new here, J. Crew made some condescending remark to one of my posts about how I was still -13 on LG, and I told him to watch his tone, and everyone was like, "OMG overreact much?" Like, P.S. look how that one turned out. Just saying.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 am

Schmelling did you glean anything from your RC punishment that will blow some minds around here? Just curious.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:59 am

sfoglia wrote:
When I was new here, J. Crew made some condescending remark to one of my posts about how I was still -13 on LG, and I told him to watch his tone, and everyone was like, "OMG overreact much?" Like, P.S. look how that one turned out. Just saying.
How could we ever forget?

RIP J CREW

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”