The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MtnGinger

Bronze

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by MtnGinger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 am

lsat_hopefull wrote:I have recently decided to make a serious effort to prepare for the September LSAT exam. I have been have to date only been half-heartedly studying. I have been scoring between 155-160 on the practice tests I have taken so far. My weakest test section seems to be the logic games area. I am missing roughly 10-12 questions in that section on every practice test. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my score in the logic games section? Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.
I think general advice here is to use power score bible or other prep book and just drill. I was the same way but mastered lg in a month or less.

Ps I say powerscore because that's what I used other books can be helpful too it's just your preference. Good luck

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 am

jmjm wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote: Really depends on what i'm doing. I work for one company, but i do EVERYTHING there, list of duties include: Supervisor, basketball coach, personal trainer, volleyball coach and security. When I'm coaching/training I literally cant do anything LSAT related. When I'm a supervisor it's weird. I've had days where I've literally loll'ed away the day watching Netflix, and days where I wasn't able to relax for more then 10 minutes at a time, because something was happening. Security is the same, if its a regular quiet day, I'm solid on doing some light drilling - still have to keep track of whose coming in and whatnot - but if its a heavy day, I've got no shot at studying.

My schedule is like this:
Monday - Taking Chem/on transport from 10 30 - 5 30. Get home, relax/eat/etc. and start studying around 7. Study till about 9.
Tuesday - Chem is the same, except I go to work, and get home at 10:30... no studying.
Wednesday - is Monday.
Thursday - studying all day (either chem/LSAT) go to work in the afternoon, come home at 10 30.
Friday - study all day.
Saturday - study all day.
Sunday - study till like 1, go to work, and get home at around 9:30.

*All day means around 4-6 hours of studying, usually closer to 6*

I found its ALL time management, and sticking to it, if you can be diligent about it, you'll be fine.
what's Chem?
Going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming Chem is short for Chemistry :P

gnomgnomuch, what chem class are you taking? O-chem would be really annoying - memorizing mechanisms while trying to study for the LSAT sounds like hell.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:25 am

Drilling LR untimed the past few days and today from the late 40s tests. Trying to get better at LR by typing out argument core and analysis of each answer choice for each tough problem (basically anything over number 15 in the section).

Hands

New

Post by Hands » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:37 am

Hey guys,

Being acquainted with the test and its material, what do you guys recommend for those of us who are not naturally inclined towards studying? I took the LSAT almost completely cold last year and got a 162 (my first completely-cold PT a couple weeks earlier had me at 159). I'm the type who can perform a task such as a research project or paper, but can't seem to focus myself on studying and I know I'm going to be guilt ridden if I don't study a bit and maximize my chances of nearing the 170s.

Any advice besides drilling PT's?

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 am

Hands wrote:Hey guys,

Being acquainted with the test and its material, what do you guys recommend for those of us who are not naturally inclined towards studying? I took the LSAT almost completely cold last year and got a 162 (my first completely-cold PT a couple weeks earlier had me at 159). I'm the type who can perform a task such as a research project or paper, but can't seem to focus myself on studying and I know I'm going to be guilt ridden if I don't study a bit and maximize my chances of nearing the 170s.

You obviously know this, but every hour of studying is literally worth hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in scholarships and/or increased earning potential. I'm cheap, so that was a huge incentive to force me into a mood to study.

Don't focus on PTs right now. Those are for reinforcing skills and developing section-long time-management skills. You need to jump hhard into drilling. What was your diagonistic section breakdown?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hands

New

Post by Hands » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 am

HRomanus wrote:

You obviously know this, but every hour of studying is literally worth hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in scholarships and/or increased earning potential. I'm cheap, so that was a huge incentive to force me into a mood to study.

Don't focus on PTs right now. Those are for reinforcing skills and developing section-long time-management skills. You need to jump hhard into drilling. What was your diagonistic section breakdown?
I have purchased the Power Score bibles for Logic Games and for Logical Reasoning. My earlier scores had me performing, like most I understand, most poorly in the logic games section. Reading Comprehension is most likely my second weakest section. I have rarely missed more than 2-3 on the other two sections, but I haven't sensed much of a pattern with the questions I have missed (which is undoubtedly because of having such a small sample).

Also, thanks for the response. As I'm sure you have devoted a good deal of time to your preparation, I can imagine it's hard to care about those who can't seem to muster up their own independent study habits.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:09 am

Hands wrote:I have purchased the Power Score bibles for Logic Games and for Logical Reasoning. My earlier scores had me performing, like most I understand, most poorly in the logic games section. Reading Comprehension is most likely my second weakest section. I have rarely missed more than 2-3 on the other two sections, but I haven't sensed much of a pattern with the questions I have missed (which is undoubtedly because of having such a small sample).

Also, thanks for the response. As I'm sure you have devoted a good deal of time to your preparation, I can imagine it's hard to care about those who can't seem to muster up their own independent study habits.
I haven't devoted as much time as I should to my prep. I've been out of school for over a year, so my studying habits have been poor. My desire when I get home tired from work is to watch Modern Family on USA all night. Only within the last month or so have I really battened down the hatches, partly because I understand how vitally and financially important success on the LSAT is.

My suggestions: don't touch a PT or LR section until you've finished the LG Bible. That's the easiest section to improve and you should be nailing it by the time you test. Bang the Bible out in a couple of weeks. Take two PTs to diagnose your success and identify additional problems. Then mix drilling focused on your weaknesses (using the LR Bible and resources here) with PTs. Read as much as you can; that will increase your RC score.

Hands

New

Post by Hands » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 am

HRomanus wrote:
Hands wrote:I have purchased the Power Score bibles for Logic Games and for Logical Reasoning. My earlier scores had me performing, like most I understand, most poorly in the logic games section. Reading Comprehension is most likely my second weakest section. I have rarely missed more than 2-3 on the other two sections, but I haven't sensed much of a pattern with the questions I have missed (which is undoubtedly because of having such a small sample).

I haven't devoted as much time as I should to my prep. I've been out of school for over a year, so my studying habits have been poor. My desire when I get home tired from work is to watch Modern Family on USA all night. Only within the last month or so have I really battened down the hatches, partly because I understand how vitally and financially important success on the LSAT is.

My suggestions: don't touch a PT or LR section until you've finished the LG Bible. That's the easiest section to improve and you should be nailing it by the time you test. Bang the Bible out in a couple of weeks. Take two PTs to diagnose your success and identify additional problems. Then mix drilling focused on your weaknesses (using the LR Bible and resources here) with PTs. Read as much as you can; that will increase your RC score.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'm also somewhat freshly removed from school (I graduated in May of 2013) and am struggling finding motivation to study after getting home from the office. Have you found any other resources especially helpful for the Logic Games? I'm finding that I'm not as visually minded as some and find myself struggling to chart some of the LG scenarios and failing to do so critically slows me down.

Before I get back to work, Trestman has the tools to make his mark this year. If Cutler stays healthy and Conte/MD Jennings stay in the locker room, the Bears could really challenge my Packers this year.

Hands

New

Post by Hands » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 am

HRomanus wrote:My suggestions: don't touch a PT or LR section until you've finished the LG Bible. That's the easiest section to improve and you should be nailing it by the time you test. Bang the Bible out in a couple of weeks. Take two PTs to diagnose your success and identify additional problems. Then mix drilling focused on your weaknesses (using the LR Bible and resources here) with PTs. Read as much as you can; that will increase your RC score.
Actually, one thing I meant to ask you: how important is it, when using the LG bible, to read through the lessons' details? I find myself kind of nodding along in passive agreement since most of it is kind of rudimentary and waiting for the drills when I try to study that book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:37 am

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 am

Hands wrote: Actually, one thing I meant to ask you: how important is it, when using the LG bible, to read through the lessons' details? I find myself kind of nodding along in passive agreement since most of it is kind of rudimentary and waiting for the drills when I try to study that book.

I skimmed that book. If the things that you are reading are already obvious to you then don't waste time on them - your time could be better spent doing other things (studying more difficult things or drilling) that will be more helpful to you.

Hands

New

Post by Hands » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 am

smccgrey wrote:

Hey! You actually sound like me - I am very bad at setting aside a huge amount of time and staying focused on studying, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up my motivation. I was big on winging exams, and it turned out relatively well for me for most of my life.

In this case, I'm forcing myself to work at it. I really, really badly want to get an amazing score, so I like studying for it. I had a 170 diagnostic, but I've been studying as much as I can to boost my score as much as possible. If I didn't spend time on it, I would be worried that I wasn't doing everything to get the best score possible.

So to answer your question: if you're not naturally inclined towards studying, you really need find ways to become more inclined. Learn to enjoy practice - treat yourself after drilling for an hour, learn to love solving logic games, anything. Just keep in mind that every point counts - studying enough could be the difference between paying sticker and getting a full ride, or the difference between getting waitlisted at your backup and getting into your top choice.

Whatever you do, don't convince yourself that you're brilliant enough to do a few practice problems, walk in, and ace this thing without studying. It's just not that kind of exam. Though it seems like HR has already convinced you!
A 170 diagnostic? Well done. I would be far less worried if the floor was that high on my score range.

And, yeah, it's a rough transition, especially because I haven't felt or seen any marked improvement from studying the course materials. I haven't yet felt that honing feeling that you get from studying more absolute or finite test material. But, should I feel my grasp tightening, I'm sure that will lend me some motivation. As long as I can get around 167 (which is 7 points above my diag), I won't feel too too guilty.

Hands

New

Post by Hands » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:50 am

fra wrote:
Hands wrote: Actually, one thing I meant to ask you: how important is it, when using the LG bible, to read through the lessons' details? I find myself kind of nodding along in passive agreement since most of it is kind of rudimentary and waiting for the drills when I try to study that book.

I skimmed that book. If the things that you are reading are already obvious to you then don't waste time on them - your time could be better spent doing other things (studying more difficult things or drilling) that will be more helpful to you.
Do you have study materials that are more difficult? And, by drilling, do you simply mean doing practice sections?

Also, lastly (and I'm sorry to ask so many), where are you guys finding your practice sections/tests? From looking over the forum, it seems that many here have taken so darn many. I have ordered a few online, but is there a deeper database of sample problems?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:54 am

I am seeing alot of improvement in all areas LR, RC and LG. During untimed PTs I am 175+ but timing is killing me. I am drilling and reviewing like crazy but its so hard to get my timing down. Le Sigh :( Not sure what to do anymore.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 pm

longhorn65

Bronze

Post by longhorn65 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Hey TLS'ers I need some help from your lsat oriented minds. I am really struggling with the arguments. No matter how my teacher shows me to break them down I cant seem to be comfortable on any of them. (obviously excluding the stupid ones like MP and paradox) Any advice?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:19 pm

Hands wrote:
fra wrote:

Do you have study materials that are more difficult? And, by drilling, do you simply mean doing practice sections?

Also, lastly (and I'm sorry to ask so many), where are you guys finding your practice sections/tests? From looking over the forum, it seems that many here have taken so darn many. I have ordered a few online, but is there a deeper database of sample problems?
The only books I used were LG Bible, LR Bible, and the Trainer (which I didn't like and stopped reading). The LG Bible covered everything in enough depth for me that I didn't feel like I needed any other books for LG.

I drill by taking prep test sections. Other people like to drill by separating the questions further by type and focusing on one type at a time (Cambridge pdfs are good for this). I prefer the variation of just using prep test sections.

I purchased the preptest books from amazon (10 actual, official Prep Tests volume whatever), because they are the cheapest per test. I have three of the five sets right now, planning on purchasing the other two/downloading individual tests if I need more exams - which I probably will.

I also bought the most difficult logic games pdf from Cambridge because I wanted a challenge and there wasn't a lot of overlap between the three Prep Test volumes that I have.

I also have the June 2007 test (free from LSAC) and the 4 India Prep Tests (also free online).
--LinkRemoved--

You can either buy the books, get pdfs from Cambridge or LSAT Blog (benefit is that you can print off fresh copies if you want to retake a test or question)

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:44 pm

smccgrey wrote:
sashafierce wrote:I am seeing alot of improvement in all areas LR, RC and LG. During untimed PTs I am 175+ but timing is killing me. I am drilling and reviewing like crazy but its so hard to get my timing down. Le Sigh :( Not sure what to do anymore.
any particular section, or just sort of in general? I think there are different strategies for each type to help with time.

For me, at least:
LG: Drilllllllllll. Drill until you can do easier games in less than 5 minutes. There's nothing more satisfying than having like 18 minutes for the last game.
RC: Any strategy that helps improve your retention and understanding of the passage on the first read. (MLSAT has been useful)
LR: Get comfortable with the easier questions so that you can zip through the first 15. Learn to stop second guessing yourself, anticipate the correct answer choice, etc.
Hi Thanks for the advice :)

For LG Basic Linear and Advanced Linear games are the hardest for me for some strange reason. I am going to read the MLSAT and Powerscore LG sections and drill these this week.

For RC speed is my biggest issue right now, I also have to work some more on my strategy so I plan to drill RC over the next few weeks.

LR is my biggest concern, I am seeing alot of improvement in my strategy and accuracy rate but my timing sucks big time. I literally pray everyone for the ability to finish a LR section on time.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Hey guys, does "or" function in logic games the same way as in logical reasoning?

"There will be at most one opening band or at most one special guest at each concert and each opening band and guest will play at exactly one concert."

I took this to mean that its EITHER an opening band OR special guest, but the books diagram drew in both as a scenario.

In LR, or could mean, one OR the other OR both, but I was always under the impression that in LG or excluded the possibility of both.

Comstock

New

Post by Comstock » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:21 pm

The LR gods have smiled upon me today.

PT 52:

LR 1 24/25 (-1)
LG 19/24 (-4)
LR 23/25 (-2)
RC 25/26 (-1)

Score: 172.

So. Unbelievably. Happy. To be honest, I'm extremely surprised by this score because LG, which is normally my best section, felt extremely off to me and it showed in my score. I decided not to do warm up today out of time constraint issues, and I think that nipped me in the butt. I simply read some rules wrong, had to re-do and re-diagram stuff, and it was just a very slow and clunky section. The games weren't that hard; I just sucked. I knew I didn't do too well on it, so coming out of it I was really worried for the rest of the test. So it is really such a super pleasant surprise for me to see how well I did in everything else.

RC obviously went really well as well, but it was my first time getting a comparative in a real PT, and I think I wasted way too much time on it. Still can't complain obviously. I think this section's score was also helped by me finding most of the topics quite interesting, so that was a nice help and I don't think I ever 'drifted' in thought in the entire section.

Just super happy. Great way to finish off my PTs for this week and go into the long weekend with. Thank-you LSAT gods.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chimera

Bronze

Post by chimera » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Dave Killoran (Power Score Bibles) is doing an AMA on reddit's lsat sub if anyone is interested. http://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/2 ... le_author/
luke65 wrote:Hey TLS'ers I need some help from your lsat oriented minds. I am really struggling with the arguments. No matter how my teacher shows me to break them down I cant seem to be comfortable on any of them. (obviously excluding the stupid ones like MP and paradox) Any advice?
I think this piece of advice from Dave Hall I came across in the Free Help forum could help you: go through a section and make sure you know what each question stem is asking you, what you can expect the right answer to do, what the correct answer might sound like. If your unsure of any of these, especially what a certain family of questions is asking of you, then you need to review the appropriate strategies. Do you have Manhattan LR? That book does a good job of explaining and outlining the above processes.

Also, grats on the score comstock! send some of the love from the LR gods my way

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Hands wrote:Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'm also somewhat freshly removed from school (I graduated in May of 2013) and am struggling finding motivation to study after getting home from the office. Have you found any other resources especially helpful for the Logic Games? I'm finding that I'm not as visually minded as some and find myself struggling to chart some of the LG scenarios and failing to do so critically slows me down.

Before I get back to work, Trestman has the tools to make his mark this year. If Cutler stays healthy and Conte/MD Jennings stay in the locker room, the Bears could really challenge my Packers this year.
The key to success at LG for the vast majority of is diagraming the games. There's a lot of information that has to be precisely and quickly juggled across multiple questions. Some may have the memory and logic skills to do so without a diagram, but most people need some form of written categorization. Learning LG is largely about learning how to quickly diagram and make inferences from your diagrams. Practice really does make perfect. Drill, drill, drill using the LG Bible and LG sections you can buy from Cambridge. When I started, LG was my worst section and with the LGB it has consistently become my best.
Hands wrote:Actually, one thing I meant to ask you: how important is it, when using the LG bible, to read through the lessons' details? I find myself kind of nodding along in passive agreement since most of it is kind of rudimentary and waiting for the drills when I try to study that book.
Focus primarily on their diagram notations, suggestions on making inferences, and drill explanations. They're assuming their audience varies form moron to intelligent, so the writing is written to the lowest common denominator. I though the game explanations were the most useful part of the book.

I've been very impressed with Trestman - and Emery, who has put an incredible team together. Conte can perform well - he actually intercepted Rodgers in the end zone in Wk 17. Every defensive scheme, but particulary Cover 2, relies on pass rush as a key component of coverage. The Bears pass rush in the latter half of the season sucked and so any weakness in the coverage was easily exploited. I'm confident Bears will challenge the Packers for a division title. Eddie Lacy is the most overrated RB in the league.

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 pm

Comstock wrote:The LR gods have smiled upon me today.

PT 52:

LR 1 24/25 (-1)
LG 19/24 (-4)
LR 23/25 (-2)
RC 25/26 (-1)

So. Unbelievably. Happy. To be honest, I'm extremely surprised by this score because LG, which is normally my best section, felt extremely off to me and it showed in my score. I decided not to do warm up today out of time constraint issues, and I think that nipped me in the butt. I simply read some rules wrong, had to re-do and re-diagram stuff, and it was just a very slow and clunky section. The games weren't that hard; I just sucked. I knew I didn't do too well on it, so coming out of it I was really worried for the rest of the test. So it is really such a super pleasant surprise for me to see how well I did in everything else.

RC obviously went really well as well, but it was my first time getting a comparative in a real PT, and I think I wasted way too much time on it. Still can't complain obviously. I think this section's score was also helped by me finding most of the topics quite interesting, so that was a nice help and I don't think I ever 'drifted' in thought in the entire section.

Just super happy. Great way to finish off my PTs for this week and go into the long weekend with. Thank-you LSAT gods.
That's awesome! Were you timed? I'm assuming yes. Sounds like you'll be able to rectify your LG section going forward :)

Comstock

New

Post by Comstock » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm

kbrizz wrote:
Comstock wrote:The LR gods have smiled upon me today.

PT 52:

LR 1 24/25 (-1)
LG 19/24 (-4)
LR 23/25 (-2)
RC 25/26 (-1)

That's awesome! Were you timed? I'm assuming yes. Sounds like you'll be able to rectify your LG section going forward :)
Yes, timed and all using the 7sage proctor app. And yeah, I re-did the games section without going over anything and went -0 fairly easily with a fresh mind. Had I done that on the PT that would have put me at 177 :shock: One can dream

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”