The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BillPackets

Gold

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:41 pm

chimera wrote:lol the past few pages ITT tho
every1 is too serious ITT. need some laughs to loosen shit up. No pun intended.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Louis1127 wrote:I was typing out a huge question on a new thread that I was about to create about a strengthen question that I was pretty sure had an answer choice that strengthened that was incorrect and a credited response that did not strengthen.

But then I reread the conclusion and realized that I missed two very important but subtle words in the conclusion and then it all made sense.

Bright side: I totally understand the logic behind the question now :)

But how the hell can I just skip over those two words in my initial read? :evil:
I once inexplicably read in a "not" to the first Q of a PT. I could not figure it out, did the rest of the section, came back to it, realized I completely added in a word (not, of all words), easily got the answer.

Moral of the story: I felt dumb

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:52 pm

BillPackets wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:I was typing out a huge question on a new thread that I was about to create about a strengthen question that I was pretty sure had an answer choice that strengthened that was incorrect and a credited response that did not strengthen.

But then I reread the conclusion and realized that I missed two very important but subtle words in the conclusion and then it all made sense.

Bright side: I totally understand the logic behind the question now :)

But how the hell can I just skip over those two words in my initial read? :evil:
I once inexplicably read in a "not" to the first Q of a PT. I could not figure it out, did the rest of the section, came back to it, realized I completely added in a word (not, of all words), easily got the answer.

Moral of the story: I felt dumb[/quote]

Hell of a moral

akechi

New

Post by akechi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi Sept LSATers,

Would anyone be willing to take a crack at PT54-S2-Q24? I am really curious to see someone else's thought process / explanation for the question. I found it incredibly difficult, so maybe someone can point something out in that is incredibly obvious or a huge tip-off that I am missing.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:39 pm

akechi wrote:Hi Sept LSATers,

Would anyone be willing to take a crack at PT54-S2-Q24? I am really curious to see someone else's thought process / explanation for the question. I found it incredibly difficult, so maybe someone can point something out in that is incredibly obvious or a huge tip-off that I am missing.
This is from an old PT for me, so I'm reasoning from what I'm reading now versus my in-game, timed reasoning. TCR, A, addresses how the growing demand for meat and milk can be satisfied while the methane production is kept in track with better diets. Accorting to TCR, better diets mean more meat and milk, so fewer cows needed to meet demand, and fewer cows to produce methane.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TX_UH

Bronze

Post by TX_UH » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
BillPackets wrote:[quote="HRomanus"idk not for me. if i take caffeine pills, i don't pee a shit ton. if i drink coffee, i pee a shit ton. so maybe there is something else in coffee that makes me pee alot.

water makes me pee, and i drink more water than most. but coffee makes me pee alot. should i upload a pic of my bladder so we can really dig in to the source of urination?
Water + Caffeine's Diurnial Effect

Or should I steal a joke from the Suits finale about you having an issue with your prostate?
holy shit we got a genius in the house everyone dude just made a novel discovery that if you drink water and add in some sort of diuretic (eg caffeine) you pee more than you would otherwise. would love to hear the suits finale joke as well a la me having prostate issues.
Colonel fuckaduck approves of this theory. Post a pic of your bladder FTW[/quote]

Bringing back this old internet gem for the occasion!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/ ... _blown.gif

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Why not just drink a double-shot of espresso? Same effect as a full cup of coffee.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

anyone else going to begin meditating ?

Side question - if I'm taking in December, when should I begin PT's?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:10 pm

akechi wrote:Hi Sept LSATers,

Holy shit I kid you not this was the question I was about to post a thread on that I talked about in my last post without actually mentioning the question specifically. I thought the conclusion was "If cows are given better diets, methane production could be kept in check".

The conclusion is actually "If cows are given better diets, methane production FROM COWS could be kept in check".

Once I knew that, (A) made perfect sense and what I thought the answer was (E), was clearly wrong.

Other ppl have provided explanations so I won't, but it was certainly freaky for us both to have a question about that at the same time.

BillPackets

Gold

Post by BillPackets » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 pm

flash21 wrote:anyone else going to begin meditating ?

Begin dead lifting, not meditating

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Its so cool how you start to notice patterns when doing so many questions...

I'm still working on the difficult LR questions from Cambridge, and although the questions are getting harder as I go, I really am going down each answer choice and noticing a trend. To me, there is always one obvious answer, but dont pick it yet. Keep looking. You'll find something so bizarre that it makes you read it again. Then, when you say "well, I guess that could be right", you go back to the obvious answer and find that there is a huge mistake with it.

It's literally like that on about 40-50% of these questions. Its insane. Really fills me up with confidence.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:51 pm

BillPackets wrote:

So many assumptions, so little time

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes. I already have. My doctor ordered me to do that and/or yoga nightly to bring my stress levels down, because my body is having a fit with itself.

I selected a yoga mat that says "clarity" in light blue letters, hoping that the practice would have the added benefit of encouraging my mind to stay sharp. Now I think of the LSAT every time I step on it. How's that for calming?

Just did a second section of LR, after going -2 on one earlier today, and I'm -5. :cry: The moment I hit "start" on my timer, I thought to myself, "It's really frigging hot in here, and I'm hungry and tired, and I'm going to score shit on this, and then I'll be upset." Well, DUH.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 pm

boris09

New

Post by boris09 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 pm

smccgrey wrote::lol: I just found a grey hair. I'm 24. THANK YOU LSAT.
It's a sign you're getting wiser. 180 officially guaranteed.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:00 pm

PT 53: 175
LR -2
LG -1
RC -3

Discolsure: I cheated and broke the first two sections (an LG -1 and LR -1) throughout the day as drilling, the first in the morning before work and the second right after work. Decided to finish out the PT when I had an extra two hours available. Not happy with the RC score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Irish11

New

Post by Irish11 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Anyone else see this headline today and immediately think, "This is going to spawn so many LSAT questions!"

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/21/sc ... &referrer=

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:58 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
HRomanus wrote:PT 53: 175
LR -2
LG -1
RC -3

Discolsure: I cheated and broke the first two sections (an LG -1 and LR -1) throughout the day as drilling, the first in the morning before work and the second right after work. Decided to finish out the PT when I had an extra two hours available. Not happy with the RC score.
Did you miss 3-22 the resolve paradoxical results EXCEPT question about decreased reading and increased profits? If not, can you explain your thought process, I just ran through that test too and that question is a killer.
The paradox is that book sales per capita are down and yet bookstores have increased their profits. Each of the incorrect responses provides a method for bookstores to increase profits without overall book sales increasing.

(A) If public libraries are purchasing fewer contemporary books, it would force the consumers reading those books to purchase them from bookstores.
(C) Installing coffee bars increases bookstore profits (without increasing book sales).
(D) Selling more expensive books likely increases profits at bookstores.
(E) Buying magazines at bookstores increase profits.

TCR:
(B) I chose this through process of elimination. It also felt wrong. Someone else can give some good advice for justifying it, I really suck at it after-the-fact. I think it relies on a lot of assumptions (e.g. that the equipment cost didn't outweigh the savings from shoplifting prevention) and it is the most out-of-scope choice.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:28 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:34 am

mornincounselor wrote:
HRomanus wrote: Did you miss 3-22 the resolve paradoxical results EXCEPT question about decreased reading and increased profits? If not, can you explain your thought process, I just ran through that test too and that question is a killer.
The paradox is that book sales per capita are down and yet bookstores have increased their profits. Each of the incorrect responses provides a method for bookstores to increase profits without overall book sales increasing.
But why does TCR need to indicate book sales increasing? I thought we had to resolve the paradox for why bookstore profits increased despite the fact that book sales were down?

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:07 am

valen wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:
HRomanus wrote: Did you miss 3-22 the resolve paradoxical results EXCEPT question about decreased reading and increased profits? If not, can you explain your thought process, I just ran through that test too and that question is a killer.
But why does TCR need to indicate book sales increasing? I thought we had to resolve the paradox for why bookstore profits increased despite the fact that book sales were down?
That is the paradox, and TCR doesn't resolve it.

flash21

Gold

Post by flash21 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:09 am

BillPackets wrote:

do you even lift though?

Comstock

New

Post by Comstock » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:30 am

smccgrey wrote::lol: I just found a grey hair. I'm 24. THANK YOU LSAT.
Don't worry, I'm 20 and have visible graying on both sides of my hair already :) To be fair, I noticed it way before LSAT training, but the rate seems to have picked up recently haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”