The Official September 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Gold

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Post by sfoglia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 am

Checking in. Hope everyone had a productive weekend!

I've decided to set aside LG for now, since I feel that I am not making much progress, and focus on LR. I purchased the Manhattan this weekend and I am absolutely loving it. I'm already on the fifth chapter, about 200 pages in, and I'm really connecting with the material. I'm realizing, by comparison, that I was not at all taking to the methodology for LG as presented in the Bible. Does anyone own Manhattan LG? Is it similar in format to the LR? Worth a buy?

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 am

Hey gang. I've been offline for awhile, but trying to keep my study pace up. I miss you guys! We finally got into a groove with baby #2, who is 2.5 weeks old now, so things have finally come out of entropy, it seems.

I wanted to see if a strategy I've been employing with LR will ever trip me up. When there is a 2 part argument and the stem asks about, for example, an assumption that one of the arguers is making, do you guys bother to read the other argument? I have only been reading the passage asked about in the stem and so far (all the way though strengthen, weaken, necessary, and sufficient assumption) it has been fruitful. For instances, I just did #176 (PT 31 S3 Q 17) and it was obvious which answer was correct.

Let me know if continuing to do this will get me in trouble in the future or if you guys have found this working for you.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:07 am

Gotcha, Counselor.

gavaga1

New

Post by gavaga1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 am

Last edited by gavaga1 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:15 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:55 am

mornincounselor wrote:Or maybe when I blind review it I will see I -5'd it and really had no idea, who knows.

Right now I'm creeping my way through this parallel reasoning packet, then I'm going to move to a second run through of the grouping (defined/fixed/balanced) games timed.
I found old parallel reasoning questions to be largely useless.

Most of them are just matching formal logic chains and stuff.

But the new ones is just about mixing and matching an abstract argument (that many times is hard to articulate).

What say you

jdul34839

New

Post by jdul34839 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm

checking in…better late than never! Retaking in September

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:32 pm

checking in as well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timegoesbytoofast

New

Post by timegoesbytoofast » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello!

Quick question: Manhattan LR OR Powerscore LR Bible?
I already have the LR Bible, but I keep reading good reviews about the Manhattan guide (or is that just for Manhattan RC?)

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:56 pm

timegoesbytoofast wrote:Hello!

Quick question: Manhattan LR OR Powerscore LR Bible?
I already have the LR Bible, but I keep reading good reviews about the Manhattan guide (or is that just for Manhattan RC?)

Manhattan, IMO.

hetookmetoamovie

Silver

Post by hetookmetoamovie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Howdy, I hope everyone's doing well. I'm getting killed on Level 4 Necessary Assumption questions. I'm just hoping some of these were thrown out when they were graded... Heh. :?

Most of my mistakes/misapprehensions seemed to have stemmed from reading words in their casual rather than their LSAT senses. I realize now why someone posted the guide to definite vs. indefinite articles earlier on the board...Ahhh.

Also, have you guys started talking like the LSAT? The other day I told my husband he should pick up either a cake or pie, but not both - for a 4th of July party we were going to. Lol and facepalm.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:44 pm

sfoglia wrote:Checking in. Hope everyone had a productive weekend!

I've decided to set aside LG for now, since I feel that I am not making much progress, and focus on LR. I purchased the Manhattan this weekend and I am absolutely loving it. I'm already on the fifth chapter, about 200 pages in, and I'm really connecting with the material. I'm realizing, by comparison, that I was not at all taking to the methodology for LG as presented in the Bible. Does anyone own Manhattan LG? Is it similar in format to the LR? Worth a buy?
Dude i LOVE Manhattan.

I used all 3 of the books and TBH, the LG and the RC were the MOST helpful of the bunch (compared to some other books)... I just find them so easy to read and almost (dare I say it) fun!

The LR is great, too... But the LG/RC ones really helped me.

I should probably re-read the LR one again :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MtnGinger

Bronze

Post by MtnGinger » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi all I completely bombed the June take compared to where I was pting so I'm gonna give it another go in September. But I was ppting around 173-176 with RC always being my worst, I was wondering what you guys use to drill RC. I think if I can focus on tightening that up I won't have the shock I had with my June score.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:17 pm

MtnGinger wrote:Hi all I completely bombed the June take compared to where I was pting so I'm gonna give it another go in September. But I was ppting around 173-176 with RC always being my worst, I was wondering what you guys use to drill RC. I think if I can focus on tightening that up I won't have the shock I had with my June score.
http://7sage.com/lsat-reading-comprehen ... ry-method/

giving this a try this go around...

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 pm

So when I drill LG, I go over the questions by watching 7sage videos.

I learned diagramming and whatnot from Powerscore. Is there a problem with kind of using both powerscore and 7sage methods to solve logic games?

I mean, has anyone else found themselves doing this?

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:06 pm

(Also, guys I just finally scored -0 on a simple ordering problem. I'm basically tearing up in this Starbucks. You're all right! Practicing pays off)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Anyone doing PT 40 tmrw?

Schedule for Tmrw.

at around 11 30 ill do one LG and one RC passage, plus a couple of LR questions.

At 12, ill do the PT. 4 sections back to back with no breaks (ill start adding an extra section and simulating complete test day conditions in about a month).

While doing the PT, ill put a box around every question im not 100% sure on (both by POE and by finding the right answer choice).

Take a break for like 30-40 minutes.

Go over the test with Blind Review.

Score it.

So, anyone down?

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:Anyone doing PT 40 tmrw?

Schedule for Tmrw.

at around 11 30 ill do one LG and one RC passage, plus a couple of LR questions.

At 12, ill do the PT. 4 sections back to back with no breaks (ill start adding an extra section and simulating complete test day conditions in about a month).

While doing the PT, ill put a box around every question im not 100% sure on (both by POE and by finding the right answer choice).

Score it.

So, anyone down?
Are you going to be timing?

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:31 pm

kbrizz wrote:

Schedule for Tmrw.

Score it.

So, anyone down?
First time im taking the test (before blind review) i'm simulating the full test conditions minus the 5 sections, so ill be tiiming. The Blind review, im giving myself as much time as i need to make sure i understand the question completely.

kbrizz

New

Post by kbrizz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
kbrizz wrote:

Schedule for Tmrw.

Score it.

So, anyone down?
First time im taking the test (before blind review) i'm simulating the full test conditions minus the 5 sections, so ill be tiiming. The Blind review, im giving myself as much time as i need to make sure i understand the question completely.
Sounds good, I don't have copy of 40 yet, so I won't be joining but good luck :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:33 pm

gnomgmuch, did pt 40 last week. I'm on to PT 42 later this week. I'm so close to breaking out of the 160 barrier I can almost taste it :mrgreen:

good luck!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Worked through an LR section today and missed 2/25. Really good increase from the 8/25 I missed two weeks ago. Looks like I got a lot of room to grow and the work is paying off!

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Louis1127 wrote:gnomgmuch, did pt 40 last week. I'm on to PT 42 later this week. I'm so close to breaking out of the 160 barrier I can almost taste it :mrgreen:

good luck!

Thanks Louis! I've broken 160, and Blind Reviewed as high as 173, here's hoping tmrw i break a 165, and 180 my BR.

(Not ambitious goals at all, or anything. =P)

GL on getting out of the high 150's. I'm sure we'll all be doing that soon.

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:04 pm

kbrizz wrote:So when I drill LG, I go over the questions by watching 7sage videos.

I learned diagramming and whatnot from Powerscore. Is there a problem with kind of using both powerscore and 7sage methods to solve logic games?

I mean, has anyone else found themselves doing this?
I do this on LG that I find difficult. I try not to follow any specific method, but rather do whatever makes sense to me, taking advice from multiple sources. I think that the more difficult games reward this kind of flexibility, and my hope is that this will keep me from being surprised by an unusual game.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”