The Official September 2014 Study Group

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby mornincounselor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Test Date: September 27, 2014

Resources
The LSAT Trainer (http://www.thelsattrainer.com);
7Sage (http://7sage.com/);
Manhattan Forums (http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/);
LSAT Blog (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com);
Scantrons http://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/ ... heets-etc/
To log tests and help recognize trends. (See: http://www.lsatqa.com) and/or (http://7sage.com/score-lsat-test/)
Pithypike's Guide 1 (See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657);
NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to 179 for Retakers (See: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=195603 )
Voyager's RC Guide (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240)
LSATinator on Time Managament (http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =6&t=35546)
TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT (See: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=120471 )

1 I started my prep with pike's guide. The strategy it sets out is on point and comprehensive but it's dated now. There are better means available today. Read it to get at what's underlying it rather than focusing on the specific resources it mentions.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 20 times in total.

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official October 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:19 pm

I believe it's actually a late September lsat in 2014. I'll be taking it as well, the June administration and the quarter system don't get along. I took my first diagnostic a few days back and didn't finish logic games due to time so I ordered the powerscore logic game bible. I'll be starting on that tomorrow. Going for as close to 180 as I can get.

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: The Official October 2014 Study Group

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:29 pm

jdom wrote:I believe it's actually a late September lsat in 2014. I'll be taking it as well, the June administration and the quarter system don't get along. I took my first diagnostic a few days back and didn't finish logic games due to time so I ordered the powerscore logic game bible. I'll be starting on that tomorrow. Going for as close to 180 as I can get.


Yes, the fall 2014 LSAT will be in September (Saturday, September 27) because the first Saturday of October is Yom Kippur. LSAC changed the date once they realized.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Steve, you always seem to be alert about these new study group threads forming. How do you do it. It's a good marketing strategy.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:36 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SecondWind
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby SecondWind » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:46 am

mornincounselor wrote:Test Date: September 27, 2014

The materials I have currently are: Pithypike's guide including all the linked pages (See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657);

The first 65 practice tests in pdf form; and

The Powerscore Bible bundle and Kaplan Big Orange Book.

I'm prepared to start the studying process January 1.

I took three timed diagnostics without any studying prep: 157, 159, 157. Aiming for 172+.
I'm logging all my practice tests for easy reflection and a breakdown of problem areas. (See: http://www.lsatqa.com)


Why are you using PithyPike's 3 month guide if you're 9 months out?

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:11 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veni_Vidi_Vici
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Veni_Vidi_Vici » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:43 am

In on this.

User avatar
canuckofchicago
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby canuckofchicago » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am

Hey fellow September test takers.

I am also taking the September '14 test. This will be my third attempt, but first in two years.
In my arsenal I have; 2013 Manhattan LR and LG, LSAT Trainer, Cambridge question specific booklets. Come March I will purchase 2014 Manhattan RC book. Does anyone thing I am missing anything? Should I take a class to tighten up my studies?

My wife and I are moving back to Chicago from Toronto in 2015 so I would like to get into a school in the Chicago area.

Hopefully we can have good dialogue here.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:30 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
SecondWind wrote:
mornincounthe or wrote:Test Date: September 27, 2014

The materials I have currently are: Pithypike's guide including all the linked pages (See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657);

The first 65 practice tests in pdf form; and

The Powerscore Bible bundle and Kaplan Big Orange Book.

I'm prepared to start the studying process January 1.

I took three timed diagnostics without any studying prep: 157, 159, 157. Aiming for 172+.
I'm logging all my practice tests for easy reflection and a breakdown of problem areas. (See: http://www.lsatqa.com)


Why are you using PithyPike's 3 month guide if you're 9 months out?


Good question.

I printed an 80 page document with the guide and all the topics linked within to use as one of many sources. I certainly don't plan on using Pike's guide to the exclusion of other advice and strategies. For example, I am taking his advice to begin by groupindifferentic games by type, and drilling them relentlessly section by section and I am referring to Voyager's Reading Comprehension Guide (See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240 ) but I also plan on doing a few preptests every week and thoroughly reviewing them as per other advice such as the 170+ scorers thread.

Is the general consensus a strategy other than Pike's would be best for those of us starting a few months early?


I'm planning on spending about a month on each section just as the 3 month guides say to do. Then practice test, review the pt's, and drill a bunch of the question types giving me problems. Rinse and repeat. I'm finding the powerscore lg bible to be really helpful so far.


canuckofchicago wrote:Hey fellow September test takers.

I am also taking the September '14 test. This will be my third attempt, but first in two years.
In my arsenal I have; 2013 Manhattan LR and LG, LSAT Trainer, Cambridge question specific booklets. Come March I will purchase 2014 Manhattan RC book. Does anyone thing I am missing anything? Should I take a class to tighten up my studies?

My wife and I are moving back to Chicago from Toronto in 2015 so I would like to get into a school in the Chicago area.

Hopefully we can have good dialogue here.


Only you are going to need more test prep materials based on how your studying is going. You didn't list actual practice tests but I'm going to assume you have some of those. Also, what class are you considering? If you take a Manhattan class I feel like you would just be re-exposed to the material you've learnt in their guides. I feel like the only benefit for you in the class would be the "office hours". It might just be cheaper to get a few hours of tutoring for the issues you are struggling on with just self study. Taking a different companies class might go against what you've been learning in the guides, but at the same time maybe a different approach to problems might be helpful. I'd recommend self study and a few hours of one on one tutoring should you need it.

UChicago is one of my top choices as well. I keep going back and forth between Chicago and Penn. I'd be pretty ecstatic to attend either school.

User avatar
canuckofchicago
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby canuckofchicago » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Hey JDOM,

I omitted the PrepTests from my arsenal because the weren't currently in my posession, but they are on the way.
I did hear the 2014 Version of Manhattan's RC book will be really updated.
Question. I was going over Pithypike's study guide, do you think with everything I have I will still need the Powerscore and Kaplan books?

Thanks,

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:28 pm

canuckofchicago wrote:Hey JDOM,

I omitted the PrepTests from my arsenal because the weren't currently in my posession, but they are on the way.
I did hear the 2014 Version of Manhattan's RC book will be really updated.
Question. I was going over Pithypike's study guide, do you think with everything I have I will still need the Powerscore and Kaplan books?

Thanks,


I would think you would be fine with the trainer, Manhattan set, and Cambridge packets. If you needed you could maybe dip into the early practice tests (20's and 30's) for additional drilling material.



Taking today off from lsat studying, planing to take a good chunk out of the linear games section in power score this weekend.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
casyspants
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby casyspants » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Checking in.

After going through MLSAT's LSAT course, how should I approach a retake?

I have all of the MLSAT books, PT's 30-70, and the Cambridge Packets for both LG and LR.

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:40 pm

casyspants wrote:Checking in.

After going through MLSAT's LSAT course, how should I approach a retake?

I have all of the MLSAT books, PT's 30-70, and the Cambridge Packets for both LG and LR.


Have you checked out NoodleyOne's retakers guide? It seems you have pretty much everything to start that up.

mornincounselor wrote:What exactly are the Cambridge packets? Just the first 38 tests broken down by question type and difficulty? They seem expensive.

I'm looking at the additional material I want to purchase (thinking LSAT Trainer, Manhattan LR and CR) and the Cambridge packets seem a bit redundant if I already have pt 1-38 in pdf form. They are also very expensive, at nearly $300 they would cost more than the remainder of my study material combined.

I think I could just take a couple of hours to break down the tests I already own. I have the listing of every logic game broken down by type already and I don't think it would be impossible to find the types for the other sections as well.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this, are people really spending $300 for questions they already have?


I think you'd be fine without them if you already have all the materials. I guess it is just added ease and convenience for those who haven't bought the material yet. Also, a lot of study guides on TLS and beyond call for work out of the Cambridge packets so it's a little easier to follow them with the packets. I don't see any reason you would definitely need them though.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
casyspants
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby casyspants » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:51 am

Can anyone vouch for whether or not I should supplement the MLSAT books with the Trainer AND Powerscore's LGB or will MLSAT books + LGB be just fine?

Thanks

User avatar
jdom
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 am

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby jdom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:22 pm

casyspants wrote:Can anyone vouch for whether or not I should supplement the MLSAT books with the Trainer AND Powerscore's LGB or will MLSAT books + LGB be just fine?

Thanks


If you go to the lsat trainer website you can download a few chapters from the actual book. I'd recommend checking it out and seeing if it would help you. From what I've gathered about the lsat trainer (haven't really looked into it that much) it's more about getting you think in a certain mindset. Personally, I'm going to start with the MLSAT trio + PSLGB and see where I end up from that.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
casyspants
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby casyspants » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:18 pm

jdom wrote:
casyspants wrote:Can anyone vouch for whether or not I should supplement the MLSAT books with the Trainer AND Powerscore's LGB or will MLSAT books + LGB be just fine?

Thanks


If you go to the lsat trainer website you can download a few chapters from the actual book. I'd recommend checking it out and seeing if it would help you. From what I've gathered about the lsat trainer (haven't really looked into it that much) it's more about getting you think in a certain mindset. Personally, I'm going to start with the MLSAT trio + PSLGB and see where I end up from that.



I've read some lsat trainer excerpts (RC) and found them helpful but if it's merely a "conditioning" prep book, I'd rather pass on it and just stick with my slew of MLSAT books + finally buy the LGB...I'm sort of wary to buy the LGB for crossover diagramming conflicts but I've heard it's helpful so I suppose I'm going to have to just suck it up and bite the bullet...

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby Chowfun » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:49 pm

I am going to take the Sept. test. I was looking at the guides provided by TlS posters...(PithyPike) I do not have the same prep materials. I have all of Manhattan's books. I have Blueprint LG and LSAT trainer. Should I still invest in the same materials? I really don't think so, but a part of my mind wants to do everything exactly how the Op did it. All I have to purchase are the PT.

I think my only problem is taking PT. It sounds silly but I am so scared to take a PT...it's like I can't do it. I haven't had test anxiety in like 3 yrs. lol when it comes to the lsat I think I'm so scared of it...the thought of pTing makes me want to run far far away. I think I'm going to invest in the help of my friends to have me buckle down.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
casyspants
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: The Official September 2014 Study Group

Postby casyspants » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Some added motivation I received after asking whether I should retake my Dec. score:

Code: Select all

"You have an appropriately realistic evaluation of your situation, which is laudable. Thank god you are not considering some utterly stupid course of action like Cal Western. Would be a goddamn shame to waste that GPA. Retake. The best case here is that you just severely underperformed from the first time around, in which case ride that sweetass regression to the mean to a T14 ticket. Worst case scenario is that you're out 200 bucks and another shot at the golden goose, at which point you should either wake up and smell the roses or actually buckle down and wreck that test--it's not honestly as hard as everyone makes it out to be after some serious elbow grease. - Irrelevant_Goat


Planning on getting back on the retake prep train in 2 weeks for Sept. 2014 -- nervous that I will be spotty on the material after being out of the game for a couple months since Dec., but you have to restart somewhere, I suppose -- anyway, materials at hand:

- All Three MLSAT books
- Cambridge Packets LR, LG, and "Hardest" RC
- PowerScore LGB (currently out of stock on Amazon, but ordered)
- LSAT Trainer (also ordered, currently en route)
- Full PT's 1-71

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, jonny27, smashbash and 7 guests