what to understanding from lesson 5 of The Trainer?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
philly93

New

what to understanding from lesson 5 of The Trainer?

Postby philly93 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:27 pm

hey y'all,

i am currently going through lesson 5 of the trainer and have a question on what I should be getting out by the end of the lesson. I got the 2 "process in action" questions wrong when I did them myself. While doing the questions, I wrote down my train of thought on a separate sheet of paper to see where I got things wrong. I got the first 3 steps correct; that is i was able to define what the job at hand was, i was able to isolate the main point + support to form the argument, and I was able to find what was wrong with the answer choice using the "taken for granted" or "fails to consider" techniques. However, as I went through the answer choices I ended up choosing the wrong one. I noticed the next few chapters were dealing with question types and therefore I was wondering what exactly I was supposed to take out of lesson 5. should i stop right now and go back and do the drills in the chapter again and make sure I get the answers right or move on because the upcoming chapters deal with the types of questions and themes dealing with LR questions?

WaltGrace83

Silver

Re: what to understanding from lesson 5 of The Trainer?

Postby WaltGrace83 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:01 am

philly93 wrote:hey y'all,

i am currently going through lesson 5 of the trainer and have a question on what I should be getting out by the end of the lesson. I got the 2 "process in action" questions wrong when I did them myself. While doing the questions, I wrote down my train of thought on a separate sheet of paper to see where I got things wrong. I got the first 3 steps correct; that is i was able to define what the job at hand was, i was able to isolate the main point + support to form the argument, and I was able to find what was wrong with the answer choice using the "taken for granted" or "fails to consider" techniques. However, as I went through the answer choices I ended up choosing the wrong one. I noticed the next few chapters were dealing with question types and therefore I was wondering what exactly I was supposed to take out of lesson 5. should i stop right now and go back and do the drills in the chapter again and make sure I get the answers right or move on because the upcoming chapters deal with the types of questions and themes dealing with LR questions?

I just read lesson 5 of the trainer last week. I was a little worried too because I did really poorly on the matching exercise. I don't think that lesson 5 is to be anything more than a general overview before making the plunge. I wouldn't worry too much yet. In fact, I don't think I would worry until you completely go through the trainer yet are still getting too many questions wrong. You are learning. I know that you want to see huge gains quick but just remember you are LEARNING.

Louis1127

Silver

Re: what to understanding from lesson 5 of The Trainer?

Postby Louis1127 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:26 pm

FWIW, I did very poorly on the matching exercise as well.

Later in the Trainer, in lesson 8 or something (not near my Trainer so I can't tell you for sure) but there are two real LSAT questions from PTs. One is easy and one is hard (no. 21 on the actual LSAT). I got it wrong. I went through Mike's explanation like 3 times trying to understand why I missed it. It was a NA question.

I went through Mike's logical progression and understood everything but the final step. I understood what we need from the answer (in this case, bridging the gap between the two terms) but I did not understand how the correct answer accomplished that. The reason I am not overly concerned that I don't understand it 100 percent is b/c Mike writes in that lesson that it's ok not to understand everything completely at this point. We're just starting :D

I really think that true improvement will come from employing these strategies in intense, extensive drilling and later PTing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�