Anyone else take the LSAT today? (12/21) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gma221

Bronze

Re: Anyone else take the LSAT today? (12/21)

Post by gma221 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm

171! I burst into tears when I saw it. I had convinced myself that I bombed the logic games so badly that there was no way I hit 170. It took me 10 months of studying, and I am so happy it paid off in the end. I think I'm going to be filling out a few more apps now. :D

P.S. Congrats gravitas and everyone else who's currently celebrating!

jackieh

New

Post by jackieh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Here is my question. My school has a deadline of March 1. I am not confident applying with the score that I received and I am retaking in Feb. How should I proceed with my application since my school does accept February scores? Should I address these in an addendum and go ahead and submit or hold off until closer to deadline and release of Feb scores? I am confident that my score will rise as well as my GPA after the next semester. HELP!!!!!!

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 am

jackieh wrote:Here is my question. My school has a deadline of March 1. I am not confident applying with the score that I received and I am retaking in Feb. How should I proceed with my application since my school does accept February scores? Should I address these in an addendum and go ahead and submit or hold off until closer to deadline and release of Feb scores? I am confident that my score will rise as well as my GPA after the next semester. HELP!!!!!!
I don't think it would be wise to delay your application until after February scores are released. How far away are you from your goal score? Do you feel very confident you can raise your score by February? Have you considered sitting out this cycle? My advice based on my own experience is to not retake until you're SURE you're ready. I took the LSAT for the first time in June after three months of studying. That was not nearly enough time for me. When I got my score back, I immediately signed up for October. I continued studying, but by the time October rolled around, I still wasn't PTing in my goal range. I ended up canceling my score and retaking a third time in December. I didn't break 170 until I had been studying for 8 months. The moral of the story is to take as much time as you need to get a high score. If I could do it all over again, I would have started studying last January for the June test, and I would have studied a lot differently.

jackieh

New

Post by jackieh » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 pm

I am pretty close to where I want to be (8 pts). The main thing is (and I know that I was stupid for doing this) I did not exactly STUDY for the test. I did numerous practice tests under false conditions (at home with a cup of coffee and my cigarettes on my desk) and did not look at the reasons I missed certain ones. On the test, I pretty much Christmas treed the majority of the Logic Games section and was late coming from break which cost me time. I am now STUDYING the Kaplan book as well as the book put out by LSAC and I am actually trying to make peace with the logic games sections (which are a tool of satan as far as I am concerned). I feel confident that I can improve and my school is not a top 100 (not because I am a slacker but due to having a family and being unable to make a move for school)l. It is the law school at my UG college. I r3ecieved an email from admissions today that advised me to list Feb LSAT and they would flag it to hold for those scores. PS-out of 606 apps in last cycle-2013- they accepted 278 and 112 matriculated if that helps evaluate my situation a bit better.

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 pm

jackieh wrote:I am pretty close to where I want to be (8 pts). The main thing is (and I know that I was stupid for doing this) I did not exactly STUDY for the test. I did numerous practice tests under false conditions (at home with a cup of coffee and my cigarettes on my desk) and did not look at the reasons I missed certain ones. On the test, I pretty much Christmas treed the majority of the Logic Games section and was late coming from break which cost me time. I am now STUDYING the Kaplan book as well as the book put out by LSAC and I am actually trying to make peace with the logic games sections (which are a tool of satan as far as I am concerned). I feel confident that I can improve and my school is not a top 100 (not because I am a slacker but due to having a family and being unable to make a move for school)l. It is the law school at my UG college. I r3ecieved an email from admissions today that advised me to list Feb LSAT and they would flag it to hold for those scores. PS-out of 606 apps in last cycle-2013- they accepted 278 and 112 matriculated if that helps evaluate my situation a bit better.
8 points is a pretty significant jump.

If logic games are your weakness, check out the video explanations at 7Sage.com. They're free. I ended up purchasing the 7Sage basic course after someone on this board recommended it to me, and it was truly the turning point in my studying. Also look into getting the PowerScore Logic Games Bible.

If you're planning to go to a low-ranked school, you should aim for a substantial scholarship. A great LSAT score would help get you there. I'm not down on third-tier schools (I applied to two of them myself), but taking on a lot of debt in order to attend one is incredibly risky. It's harder to get a job as a graduate of those schools, and the jobs you're likely to get probably won't pay six figures, at least not right out of law school.

If I were you, I would delay applying until next year, make a serious effort to score 168+ on the LSAT, and enjoy my full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”