February LSAT: too late for this year's cycle?

Roger Mexico

February LSAT: too late for this year's cycle?

Postby Roger Mexico » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:50 am

I've taken the LSAT once already and I've sent out applications as of over a month ago. I wasn't able to study much last time, but it should be possible for me to dedicate all of my time from now until the February test date to studying. Would it be worth it to do that and apply for this year's cycle even though I would be considered late by at least some (possibly all, not sure) of the T14? If not, I can prepare for the June test and apply next year, but if I don't need to wait then by all means I won't.

Just a note: I wasn't planning on re-applying at any of the schools I've already applied to, though I'm curious as to whether re-applying or simply sending them my February score would affect my admission to any of those.

zhenders

Re: February LSAT: too late for this year's cycle?

Postby zhenders » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I've recently read (in a different forum, from a person whom I believe to be reliable) that Harvard has extended its official deadline to the 1st of March -- which theoretically gives you time to report that new score to them. With regards to other schools, I suppose it all depends on their specific deadlines! I would consider looking up the specific application deadlines of the schools you are applying for, and if the deadlines are more than 3 weeks after test date, it might be worth contacting them to ask them to delay their decision until the new score arrives. The T-14 has earlier deadlines than most other schools, on average.

Roger Mexico

Postby Roger Mexico » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Yeah, I'm interested in knowing how applying in time but sending LSAT scores after the deadline would work. Anyone have experience with that?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Roger Mexico wrote:Yeah, I'm interested in knowing how applying in time but sending LSAT scores after the deadline would work. Anyone have experience with that?

Schools you applied to are notified by LSAC that you are registered to take an upcoming exam (if you register for the Feb test) and will be notified of the score once it is released. Unless a decision has already been made on your app before Feb scores are released, almost all schools will consider it, even Harvard. Harvard recently announced that they will consider Feb LSAT scores for the current cycle. Most other schools are doing the same thing, but you should check with each of the schools you applied to to confirm.

Pretty much all you need to do is register for the Feb test and email the schools you applied to telling them you want them to wait for your Feb score to review your app and they will unless the particular school has a policy against it. Since applicant volume is now at a historic low not seen since the mid 1970s, pretty much almost if not all schools are willing to consider feb scores for this cycle.

If you don't register for the Feb test soon and/or tell the schools you applied to to wait for your Feb score, they might make a decision on your current score, so if that score is likely to get you rejected, you should register for the Feb test and tell them to wait for that score ASAP so you don't get rejected before they know to wait.

So, basically you just need to register for the Feb test, send a few emails and then get to work right away prepping to re-take.

Depending on your current LSAT score, it could put you at a disadvantage since your application won't go complete and be reviewed until late in the cycle, but that could easily be outweighed if you achieve a high LSAT score on the Feb test that is very competitive for the schools you applied to. To avoid that disadvantage you could just apply next cycle instead, which would give you a lot more time to prep for the LSAT and boost your score significantly higher, which could dramatically improve your admission chances and range of schools you are competitive for.

If your current LSAT score doesn't give you a strong chance of admission to your selected schools, telling them to wait and re-taking in February test could give you an advantage if you get a significantly better score by giving you a much better chance of admission than your current score does. How much the advantage/disadvantage balance tilts in your situation depends on what your current LSAT score is and what schools you are trying to get into in terms of whether you are already a strong applicant or marginal with an LSAT score below the schools median.

What are your current numbers, GPA and LSAT score, and what schools are you applying to? People could give better advice for your situation with that info.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Jeffort's posts are always tl;dr. Seriously man, why?

For some schools, it is too late. For others, it's chill. But even for those schools for whom it's chill, you'd stand a better chance applying next cycle.

Allegra

Postby Allegra » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:55 pm

I am not applying this cycle but I am curious, how do schools look at a reapplication (with and without a better LSAT score)?

If people are applying late, one of the reasons they might get rejected or WL is because the admission quotas are likely to be almost met. So, if they applied earlier, they would have a better chance of being accepted. But what if they do apply now and are rejected - what would the admissions officer think of someone who was rejected this year but reapplied next year?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:05 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:Jeffort's posts are always tl;dr. Seriously man, why?

For some schools, it is too late. For others, it's chill. But even for those schools for whom it's chill, you'd stand a better chance applying next cycle.

To give full answers to the question(s) and relevant info that might be helpful for the situation asked about, others that read the thread might have similar questions and concerns too. :wink: He asked how the process works, not for a yes or no answer.
Plus, this is a frequently asked question this time of year with several important factors involved that should be taken into consideration when deciding what to do RE: when and if to re-take and/or which cycle to apply in.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”