Self Study and then Classes?

Self Study and then Classes?

Postby canuckofchicago » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey everyone.

I have decided to go back to study and re-take the LSAT for the third time. My previous scores weren't great so I gave up on it for a couple of years for professional and personal reasons until my wife convinced me to re-take it since law school is something I really want to do. She suggests I take an in-class prep program instead of online and books however, I have bought my Manhattan books. What I would like to know is after using their books should I still take their classes - they are pretty pricey or just stick to the books or a third option use a different/cheaper in-class program?

Any advice is appreciated. All the best for the holidays.

Re: Self Study and then Classes?

Postby meegee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:50 pm

I think the general consensus is to take a class if you're scoring below 160. After you take the class (and probably best during as well), you should self-study. It seems that classes are more general/inclusive, designed to help a group of students achieve the fundamentals of the LSAT.

Once you start scoring higher, it is less about the basics and more about the nuances of the LSAT. This is where self-studying and/or a private tutor would be more beneficial.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi Richard --

Hope you enjoy the book (and the class, should you choose to sign up for it) --

I think it's helpful to think of your prep as having a learning part (classes, instruction in books or videos, etc.) and a doing part (drilling and pt's and such) -- though the two certainly overlap, in general you want to focus on the learning toward the beginning of your prep, and the doing toward the end -- more specifically, if you are going to take a course and couple it with a lot of self-study, I suggest you take the course earlier in your prep, rather than later.

-- Mike Kim

Postby flash21 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:46 am

if you want to take a cheap course that is good, take it with 7sage. i took it and loved it, and its like 200 dollars.

Postby SecondWind » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:02 pm

In college, did you learn quicker by going to class or by going to the library and studying?

If it's by going to class, take a class. However, you still will have to self study to get your score up in the 165+ range.

If it's by going to the library, you shouldn't take a class and instead you should self study the entire time. I think hands down the best investment you could make (other than buying preptests) is The LSAT Trainer. Dollar for dollar, nothing beats it.

You already have Manhattan LSAT, so you're in pretty good hands. I therefore would suggest finishing the Manhattan LSAT books, and then buy The LSAT Trainer if you feel you need more instruction.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”