LSAT prep for retake HELP

cpena1991

LSAT prep for retake HELP

Postby cpena1991 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm looking for some advice.

I already took the Oct. LSAT and scored 165 on it. I only took the testmasters course to study for it. Before taking the test I was consistently scoring between 170-173 on practice tests but the week before my exam I caught a really bad sinus infection that pretty much left me unable to study or take any practice exams. Ill be graduating in May and I have decided to take a year off before law school to build my resume, save up a little cash, and study for 6-9 months (compared to 2 1/2 from last time) for the june or october LSAT. I can get my logic games down to 0 wrong when studying hard, my LR section varies from 0-3 wrong, but my reading comp section is the worst at 3-8 wrong typically.

I want to know what are the best books for self-study and how many practice exams should I take (and where to get them)? Or if someone wants to give me a detailed schedule I would really appreciate it. I want to get into a top 6 school so I need to get a 170+, which for what I scored with less than 3 months of studying I think is very attainable. I want to start studying again in January.

I welcome any and all advice, thanks a lot guys!!!

d cooper

Re: LSAT prep for retake HELP

Postby d cooper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:25 pm

For comprehensive self-study, people here really like the Manhattan LSAT Bundle as well as The LSAT Trainer.

For a rough schedule, start by working through those books and using PTs 20-40 for drilling questions and games by type. I used Cambridge LSAT for this. Drill question types in isolation until you are comfortable solving every question type in LR and LG, at least. Only then should you move on to taking full PTs to bring it all together. Take PTs 41-70+ under strict test-day conditions and thoroughly review. Continue to drill as you identify weak areas and common mistakes in your PTs.

Good luck!

cpena1991

Postby cpena1991 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 pm

[quote="d cooper"]For comprehensive self-study, people here really like the Manhattan LSAT Bundle as well as The LSAT Trainer.

So should I get both of these or just the Manhattan? Also, I've heard of the Bibles, are those any good?

Thanks for the advice!

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:42 pm

cpena1991 wrote:
d cooper wrote:For comprehensive self-study, people here really like the Manhattan LSAT Bundle as well as The LSAT Trainer.

So should I get both of these or just the Manhattan? Also, I've heard of the Bibles, are those any good?

Thanks for the advice!

I started with the Powerscore LG and LR Bibles and then read both of the above. Powerscore is a good place to start, but I think since you are a retaker already capable of 165+, you'll get more out of Manhattan or the Trainer. It absolutely can't hurt to read all of them, though.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:57 pm

powerscore and testmasters are very similar, so if you are looking for something that is most consistent with what u already know, powerscore is a good bet.

manhattan and the trainer are similar to one another, and offer a different perspective from testmasters/powerscore.

Even if you were to get all of these products (not that you should), the cost would still be significantly less than what you paid for your testmasters course. Your most valuable resource is time -- my strong suggestion would be to take a day or two to carefully look into all of these products, then make your decision. You should be able to walk into your local B&N and look through the powerscore and manhattan books -- more and more B&N are carrying the trainer so you might be able to find it as well -- but I also offer 8 free chapters on my website if you need a sample--

HTH -- MK

cpena1991

Postby cpena1991 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Any suggestion on how often I should be taking practice exams? I know Im probably going to do pure studying for the first month or so before I take a PT but I would like to know if I should just take as many as possible; I've read of people that have taken all of the PTs available prior to their LSAT. Also, is there any difference between the PTs, I notice that people specified certain PTs for the studying and would like to know if there is any particular reason for this?

Are you guys talking about the LSAC practice exams that you can purchase on Amazon? I'm just confused about what PTs you guys are referring to. Im completely new to self-study, maybe there is a thread or guide I should for general knowledge?

Thanks again!

cpena1991

Postby cpena1991 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Also, what do you guys think about this thread on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/uf4uh/lsat_books/

Let me know if it would be wise to follow this.

I'm assuming those are the same PTs that everyone refers to. I see that he/she mentioned similar material to you guys.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:31 pm

cpena1991 wrote:Also, what do you guys think about this thread on reddit.

I'm assuming those are the same PTs that everyone refers to. I see that he/she mentioned similar material to you guys.

I prefer having digital copies of the tests. That way I can repeat the LG section (or the whole test). After I took a PT I would add the LG section to my drill rotation, so it's helpful to be able to just print a new copy. You can buy PDF versions of PTs at LSAT Blog and at Cambridge LSAT.

I'm not sure why that post says PTs 39-51 are "useful but not essential." I think they're essential. The rest of it looks fine, though.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:46 pm

cpena1991 wrote:Also, what do you guys think about this thread on reddit.

You have another option with your situation that you should consider.

People are recommending Cambridge so you get copies of test questions organized by type so that you can do focused drilling by question type for LR and game type for LGs. Since you took Testmasters you already have most LR questions and games organized by types in the coursebooks and supplemental materials you can drill with.

Since you hit 165 on the actual test, you probably just mainly need fine tuning with high end difficulty stuff, fine tuning with your processes and doing everything properly under timed conditions. With that being the case, getting a bunch of prep books designed to teach everything from the ground up and studying them cover to cover probably isn't the best use of your time since you already know all the fundamentals, concepts, techniques, etc. and have proven to be very skilled at applying them given your 165. Learning a different system from MLSAT or another source isn't necessary and could undermine certain strategies, methods, approaches, points of view you learned through the Testmasters curriculum that are working well in your performance. You don't need to build a new/better foundation and/or revamp your approaches with different methods, you just need to fine tune your application and execution of everything you already learned to do.

Instead of trying to re-learn all the basics from a different perspective, you should figure out your current weaknesses that are holding you back from 170+ and focus on improving those areas through study, drilling and thorough detailed review. You aren't in the need to learn/refresh the basics mode, you are in the perfect your application of everything you already know under timed conditions more accurately mode. Doing that is mainly about drilling, practice and careful detailed review of all mistakes and trouble areas. All you need is clean copies of LSAT questions/full tests to practice and review with.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”