MLSAT LR

Mr.Esquire

MLSAT LR

Postby Mr.Esquire » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 am

I am just finishing THE LSAT TRAINER and I really enjoyed using a Study Guide. I think the ones that Mike Kim provides on his website are a great idea. I originally started of using the 16 week plan, but it looks like I'm going to be finishing in about 9 weeks. Anyways, having something that guided me through the book, and showed me what I needed to do each day really helped me from doing too little and over doing it.

I am now going to be starting the MLSAT LR book after I finish the trainer. I wanted to know if there was any such thing out there for the MLSAT that compares with the guides Mike Kim has for the trainer. Or if anyone has a personal study plan that the used in tackling the MLSAT LR book that would be helpful as well.

Mike Kim recommended not doing more then one lesson a day, or if you did do one early in the day and another later in the day. Is that advice applicable to the MLSAT LR book. Has anyone tackled multiple chapters in a day, or has anyone found it best to do one per day?

Any thoughts will be helpful and appreciated.

jd2121

Re: MLSAT LR

Postby jd2121 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:02 am

I just read MLSAT LR straight through (aside from the conditional logic chapter as I have taken several college courses in formal logic). This was hugely effective. Some chapters are certainly far more substantive than others, but the entire book is probably worth going through. After you have gone through once, figure out what question types you are weakest at, then go back and reread the corresponding chapter in MLSAT LR. I think their chapter re:inference questions is particularly well done. In fact, inference questions went from being my weakness to my strength-- largely due to MLSAT LR. Their parallel argument chapter, by contrast, was far less useful for me; but this is probably because of the nature of these questions--not necessarily a problem in their methodology. In any case, I would unequivocally recommend this book.

edit: you could ABSOLUTELY read multiple chapters in the same day. I probably read the entire book in 5 different sittings.

question for you: do you think powerscore LR was worth the read? Im wondering whether I should give it a shot. However, I have heard that they recommend NOT identifying the question type first; I think this approach is infinitely stupid, and it makes me question whether I would feel this way about other strategies they endorse as well.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:02 am

You shouldn't treat it like you are learning a bunch of new stuff from the ground up with a similar long fixed timeline to go through all the materials with a rigid study plan like you did with the trainer since that's not what you're doing. The MLSAT books cover the same stuff about the LSAT that the trainer does but presented differently, so it's not like you are learning new concepts or techniques. It'll be you reading about the same concepts/question types/general strategies/methods/etc. just described and presented in different ways, so it's basically a big refresher and review of everything you just finished learning from the trainer.

It shouldn't take nearly as long to go through the MLSAT books since it really will be a review of most of the same stuff you learned in the trainer. Mike Kim is the author of both the Trainer and the MLSAT guides so there aren't any radical strategy differences in terms of which methods are emphasized over others like you find between books from different sources. The trainer goes into more detail with certain things the MLSAT books don't and vice versa, so you're just getting a different description of the same ideas and concepts with slightly different emphasis between books.

Learning the important foundation stuff and the various methods and techniques covered in the books is just stage one of your prep. Stage two involves getting better at actually applying everything you learned from the books. It is the more time consuming part of prep since it takes a lot of practice and review to get really good at applying all the steps/concepts/techniques/etc. without making mistakes in order to increase your accuracy. You shouldn't spend another 8+ weeks staying in the learning the basics phase just to read about all the basics again before putting most of your emphasis on drilling and reviewing in order to get better at everything. Start drilling soon. Just read the relevant chapters of the MLSAT books about whatever type right before drilling it instead of waiting to finish the books to really get into drilling.

Reading the MLSAT books now should be considered review since its just going to help shore up your memory and understanding of the main concepts/ideas/methods you already covered and hopefully learned from the Trainer. Going through the stuff again is good to help it stick better and to get a better understanding, but just don't let that delay getting into drilling since real improvement won't begin until you get into a lot of deep thorough drilling and review.

Make sense?

Mr.Esquire

Postby Mr.Esquire » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Thank you both for the such elaborate responses. I actually have started drilling as well, but I understand what your saying, and why the MLSAT shouldn't take as long as the trainer did. I appreciate the feedback.

Mr.Esquire

Postby Mr.Esquire » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:50 am

So I have cracked my MLSAT LR Book. What is the best way to go through chapters.

My plan(let me know if this could be done more efficiently/or in a better way):

Read a Chapter a day M-F.
After reading the Corresponding chapter, drill the corresponding packet from cambridge. So the 15 questions from the book plus 25 from the packet. Do this each day of the week. On the weekend then drill another 25questions from each of the 5 sections). Record missed problems or problems that I am having arriving at the right answer.

Like I said I would like someone that has read the book and drilled accordingly to tell me if there is a better way.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Mr.Esquire wrote:So I have cracked my MLSAT LR Book. What is the best way to go through chapters.

My plan(let me know if this could be done more efficiently/or in a better way):

Read a Chapter a day M-F.
After reading the Corresponding chapter, drill the corresponding packet from cambridge. So the 15 questions from the book plus 25 from the packet. Do this each day of the week. On the weekend then drill another 25questions from each of the 5 sections). Record missed problems or problems that I am having arriving at the right answer.

Like I said I would like someone that has read the book and drilled accordingly to tell me if there is a better way.

Looks like a good plan to me. The weekend sets ideally would be mixed (perhaps hard to do with sets that are already by topic), but recognition is useful.

You can read explanations on our forums--one thing many folks find useful is to jot down your own notes and then compare to what our teachers say and then think about discrepancies (and plenty of times, there are valid ways to look at stuff that our teachers did not write about/notice).

I'd also re-do those missed problems (and ones that just gave you a hard time, even if you got them right) and do them 2-3 weeks after your deep review. It can help "seal in" what you've learned.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”