Bite The Bullet Or Not?

DaveShady

Bite The Bullet Or Not?

Postby DaveShady » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Ok,
So I've been studying with the intention of taking the February LSAT since about September.
I've managed to make significant improvements, increasing 16 points from the 150 on my first PT
to a consistent 166 on the last 4. All I've been using is the Powerscore Bibles, Blueprint LG, and all 3 Manhattan books + Questions By Type for exams 1-38 for LR/LG. Believe it or not, the increase was the result of simply reading all the textbooks twice, I've only just recently acquired the questions by type, having completed the LG packet.

I'm getting different combinations of this on my exams so far:
LG- -0 to -3 (most commonly -1)
LR- -8 or less TOTAL
RC- -5 or less

I'm trying to score upwards for 173 and I recognize my mistakes when I go back and review and I feel as though a significant improvement is not out of the question as I've only recently begun to very meticulously review my previous exams. But I'm freaking out about whether it's possible to reach my goals by the February exam, or if it would just be smarter to wait until June and not rush through all my PTs/remaining questions by type. I feel like I'd even have time to purchase the remaining questions/most recent PTs this way and it may help. The only reason I'm freaking out is because the deadline to register is Jan 7th and I don't want to commit to something and later see that I'm still scoring below my target score one week out from the exam.

I feel like I'm rambling and this is my first post after stalking the forum for a few weeks, so if anyone has any thoughts/opinions that'd be great. Maybe I'm just feeling a little burned out and freaking out for no reason.

If you think I SHOULD take Feb, how do you suggest I maximize my study efforts to possibly reach my goals.
If you think I should NOT, same question, keeping in mind that I've already been studying for a few months and have burned through a few materials.
Last edited by DaveShady on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

meegee

Re: Bite The Bullet Or Not?

Postby meegee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:37 am

Your LG should be -0 with a -1 every once in a while. That alone will push you from the mid 160s to the upper 160s.

I'm not sure when the deadline is to withdraw. Look that up because it is a factor to consider.

I would say keep studying as much as possible without burning out. See how you stand as you get closer to the withdraw date. Assess and then formulate a decision then.

It's hard to give you a plan since everyone is different. You're just going to have to feel it out for yourself. Alternatively, you can get a tutor and work it out with him/her and see how the tutor feels you should proceed.

DaveShady

Postby DaveShady » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:02 am

meegee wrote:Your LG should be -0 with a -1 every once in a while. That alone will push you from the mid 160s to the upper 160s.

I'm not sure when the deadline is to withdraw. Look that up because it is a factor to consider.

I would say keep studying as much as possible without burning out. See how you stand as you get closer to the withdraw date. Assess and then formulate a decision then.

It's hard to give you a plan since everyone is different. You're just going to have to feel it out for yourself. Alternatively, you can get a tutor and work it out with him/her and see how the tutor feels you should proceed.

Ya know, I was too busy freaking out over needing to see some more improvement by the end of December that I didn't even remember I could potentially just withdraw from the exam. That suggestion alone just reduced my stress by a bit lol.
Thank you so much!

Yes, I agree that I definitely need to get from near perfect to perfect on LG. I've been considering buying the LSAT Trainer to sort of help me stay on point and help refine my LG while possibly improving in the other two sections. Working alongside my drill materials of course.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:56 am

DaveShady wrote:If you think I SHOULD take Feb, how do you suggest I maximize my study efforts to possibly reach my goals.

I think you should definitely consider February, as you should be able to hit your goals by then.

With a 166, you're at the point where you need to start learning the tricks the LSAT is making you fall for. At this point, PTs and review is more important than methods. You don't lack an understanding of any of the basic elements of the test; you're getting tricked up by the questions where they're throwing something that doesn't conform to the norm your way. The only way you can figure out what those things are is to take PTs and review your mistakes.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:40 pm

Ok,
So I've been studying with the intention of taking the February LSAT since about September.
I've managed to make significant improvements, increasing 16 points from the 150 on my first PT
to a consistent 166 on the last 4. All I've been using is the Powerscore Bibles, Blueprint LG, and all 3 Manhattan books + Questions By Type for exams 1-38 for LR/LG. Believe it or not, the increase was the result of simply reading all the textbooks twice, I've only just recently acquired the questions by type, having completed the LG packet.

Nice jump!

DaveShady

Postby DaveShady » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:50 pm

bp shinners wrote:
DaveShady wrote:If you think I SHOULD take Feb, how do you suggest I maximize my study efforts to possibly reach my goals.

I think you should definitely consider February, as you should be able to hit your goals by then.

With a 166, you're at the point where you need to start learning the tricks the LSAT is making you fall for. At this point, PTs and review is more important than methods. You don't lack an understanding of any of the basic elements of the test; you're getting tricked up by the questions where they're throwing something that doesn't conform to the norm your way. The only way you can figure out what those things are is to take PTs and review your mistakes.

Okay, that's very reassuring that you think it's definitely feasible given the time I have left. I will focus on trying to internalize the subtleties I keep falling for. Thank you!

RobertGolddust wrote:
Ok,

Nice jump!

THANKS!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”