Options for retaking the Feb. LSAT

odela

Options for retaking the Feb. LSAT

Postby odela » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:44 am

URM (MA) male, 3.85 GPA. I took the December 2012 LSAT (150) and this December's LSAT (PT Avg 160, although I felt I performed better than a 160) and will be sending in my apps when I get my December score.

Can I retake the February LSAT and notify schools to use this December's score and not delay my app to wait for my February score? I had planned to do this because I was led to believe that I can use my February score to improve my chances of being taken off waitlists or to ask for more money from the schools that accept me.

I am also not sure if this is a good idea or if I would be better off just retaking in Feb. and wait to send in my apps once the February score comes in.

edit: BTW, taking it in Feb would be my 3rd and final time in the 2 year window allowed by LSAC. So I was also thinking of evaluating my offers for this cycle using just the Dec LSAT and if I do not find them favorable, then just save this final attempt for next cycle.
Last edited by odela on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Clearly

Re: Options for retaking the Feb. LSAT

Postby Clearly » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:02 am

Do you really think you capped your lsat score? If you wait a year and pick up a few points you could be at Harvard with that gpa...

odela

Postby odela » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:35 am

Clearly wrote:Do you really think you capped your lsat score? If you wait a year and pick up a few points you could be at Harvard with that gpa...

I feel like I have capped mainly because I've spent so much of my time studying for the exam.

I studied from August to November for the 2012 December LSAT using Powerscore LR, LG, Manhattan LR, LG, RC, LSATblog's monthly plan and doing PTs from Sep-Nov (such little time spent to study fundamentals, I know).

For 2013 December's LSAT I studied from March to the 1st week of December using NoodleyOne's Guide to 179, Cambridge LG (going over every game in the packets multiple times using 7sage explanations), Cambridge LR (finished every problem in the packets with review from Manhattan LR Forums), read through Manhattan LG, LR, and RC. Used Manhattan RC Forums to review RC.

I took PTs in late October til early December. I took 58-65 and 67-70 using 52, 53 and 66 as experimental sections [163 being the highest I scored (PT 64, 65) and 155 the lowest (67)]. I reviewed questions I got wrong and even those that I was correct with but not entirely sure. I also used Graeme Blake's Hacking the LSAT for 66-70. Blind Review I scored an avg. of 167 (ranging from 162-173) on the PTs.

I could see myself making very slight improvements in LR and consistently getting at least [-2 or -1] on LG, but RC is my toughest section missing about [-9] using 7sage's Memory Method.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:10 am

All good man, just making sure you put in the work to max your chances, not everyone does.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 am

Yes, just retake Feb and schools who haven't made a decision on you by the time scores come out will be able to take your new score into account.

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Im interested in this topic as well. Similar situation with 2 LSATs under my belt and apps already out but looking at Feb for my final retake for scholarship money/wait lists. My question is since you don't know what schools are going to decide on your app pre feb score should you notify them that your going to retake feb otherwise what do u do if u get denied? Also what if you potentially score lower how will schools who haven't made a decision on you view that?

But Goodluck Odela! I thought I couldn't improve as well especially with already putting so much time in but it seems the more I worked at it eventually it comes. Even a few points could make all the difference.

Postby 10052014 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

odela

Postby odela » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 am

jaylawyer09 wrote:
For 2013 December's LSAT I studied from March to the 1st week of December using NoodleyOne's Guide to 179, Cambridge LG (going over every game in the packets multiple times using 7sage explanations), Cambridge LR (finished every problem in the packets with review from Manhattan LR Forums), read through Manhattan LG, LR, and RC. Used Manhattan RC Forums to review RC.

Clearly wrote:All good man, just making sure you put in the work to max your chances, not everyone does.

Is it possible for some one to still be stuck in the low 160s like OP, even though one drills all the games, LR, and RC from 1-40 with review? (then PTs afterwords, of course.)

seems like something went wrong.....

One of my issues may have been an inadequate method of reviewing mistakes and losing time in trap questions. I would make it a habit of writing down the tendency I was making for certain LR questions and writing down what to do next time I encountered it. I used Manhattan RC then did about 12 sections untimed and individual passage timed. I did RC 1-5 and 21-39 timed whole sections. RC was no doubt my worst section, ranging from [-7] to [-12] wrong.

For LG I had confidence issues with games like Sequencing Editor's 7 Articles - (pt 68) (game 4), Zones, Photographer's and Writer's Assistants (pt 60) that prevented me from consistently scoring [-2] to [0].

I started with a cold diagnostic of [139] in Fall of 2011.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:22 am

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:56 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:Im interested in this topic as well. Similar situation with 2 LSATs under my belt and apps already out but looking at Feb for my final retake for scholarship money/wait lists. My question is since you don't know what schools are going to decide on your app pre feb score should you notify them that your going to retake feb otherwise what do u do if u get denied? Also what if you potentially score lower how will schools who haven't made a decision on you view that?

But Goodluck Odela! I thought I couldn't improve as well especially with already putting so much time in but it seems the more I worked at it eventually it comes. Even a few points could make all the difference.

People always try to game the system, but you can't.

You have 2 options:
1) Apply with your current score and tell schools not to wait
2) Apply with your current score and tell schools to wait for the February score.

If you go route 1, you might (MIGHT) get lucky, with them not rendering a decision until after they do receive the February score, in which case they'll take it into account. But that's not a guarantee.

If you go route 2, you don't get to skip in line - your application won't be put in line for review until your score comes out.

If schools deny you, but you score higher on February, you can always apply again next cycle. There isn't an appeals process.

If you score lower on February, it won't look great, but it won't do much damage, either, as schools focus on your highest score.

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:14 pm

thanks bpshinners just saw this appreciate the advice.

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Last edited by dcpanther on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

sblock60

Postby sblock60 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm

I have a similar question, if I sign up for the Feb. LSAT will schools automatically put my application on hold? I don't want to be put on hold, I just want to take the test to help me if I get waitlisted anywhere or if a school hasn't made a decision.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”